As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Making myself improve

ArfenhouseArfenhouse Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Artist's Corner
Posted in the doodle thread but because I'm having a productive day I thought I'd just make my own thread and get some critiquing.

These first few are from a few months ago, mainly here for comparison's sake.

pointx.jpg

marvelv.jpg

dudesmiling.jpg

deadpoole.jpg

These next five I did just today, while I had a sinus infection. Maybe I should get sick more often, I feel like I've improved drastically.

Note: None of these are supposed to be compositionally well-done, they're just little painting practices that I want critiqued.

holdingstone.jpg

batgcr.jpg

amazono.jpg

ninjast.jpg

angrymant.jpg

That last one was only referenced in the mouth area.

Arfenhouse on

• Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like the first one =3
    "now listen here kitties, I'm going to go but when I get back there better not be any wild parties going on or else"

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah that's essentially what the ritual is whenever I leave the apartment. I just point at them with a look of fury on my face and they just look at me as if to say "uh huh suuuuureee."

Arfenhouse on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kitties one is cool, actually this is all pretty good.

My only beef is on the last one, is that it looks like you reffed the mouth seperately. It doesn't look like it's on the same plane as the rest of the face.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah like I mentioned in the OP, I referenced the mouth, but it was at a different angle from this pose. I tried to turn it in space but didn't really match it up quite right. Doesn't help that the lower lip area is a bit fuzzy, which is lending to the awkwardness. And the open area of the mouth on the left is definitely a bit large.

I hate looking at artwork during critique, I immediately pick out like a hundred things I want to immediately change haha.

Arfenhouse on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arfenhouse wrote: »
    I hate looking at artwork during critique, I immediately pick out like a hundred things I want to immediately change haha.

Well at least you see room for self-improvement. Some people just don't want to do better, judging by the blinders they wear.

Is that your Ultimate Alliance team in the second picture?

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Haha more or less. My dream team comic team-up, if Marvel would ever make one purely for my enjoyment haha. Imagine Cap having to deal with Deadpool :O

Arfenhouse on