As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The gaming related "I have a question" thread

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I beat Red Faction: Guerrilla yesterday, and my game save says I've done 93 of the possible 104 guerrilla actions. I only see 2 uncompleted actions on my map, both transporter missions in Mount Vogel (the last area). My first thought was that the last 9 are those spontaneous courier/convoy missions that pop up automatically, but that seems like a lot of missed missions of that type. I did notice that I have some areas of my map that are still cloudy and undiscovered. I thought that missions showed up in those undiscovered areas, but I'm not sure. Is there a chance that some missions are hidden in those areas, and I have to drive through them for them to show up, or are the missing 9 all those over-the-radio missions?

EDIT: Thought I'd put the question in here instead of digging up the RF:G thread (which I can't find, since the Search isn't working for some reason).

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Are there any good DS rpgs that don't make heavy use of the shoulder buttons? Mine are wonky and even though i can get them to cooperate some of the time I would rather not worry about the whole thing. For example I am annoyed that I have a hard time switching between characters in Tactics A2 but don't really care about changing maps in Etrian Odyssey

There is a trick involving (and I shit you not) sucking and blowing on them to fix the shoulder buttons permanently.

Compressed air if you're too good for a little suck and blow.

Damn son, I thought I was an xbox fanboy but I never cured a red ring by trying to fellate my controller.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm currently doing the Lost Sanctum sidequest in Chrono Trigger on the DS. I'm getting quite bored doing it. Is there any point to it, like anything story related?

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've got 3, 4 open world games on my pc right now, and only Arma and Saints Row 2 have any modicum of mod-ability. What open world games have come out recently that are good, look nice and have a healthy mod scene.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    kleinfehnkleinfehn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is there a controller I can use for the computer that will use the 360 drivers so it automatically configures cross platform games, but the controller isn't a 360 controller? Would like to get a gamepad, but I want it cheap and to work effortlessly.

kleinfehn on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    kleinfehn wrote: »
    Is there a controller I can use for the computer that will use the 360 drivers so it automatically configures cross platform games, but the controller isn't a 360 controller? Would like to get a gamepad, but I want it cheap and to work effortlessly.

There are 360 controller emulators out there, but I have no idea how well they work. If you want something that works like a 360 controller, you might just have to buy one.

Peewi on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How would anyone recommend going about transferring data from one Xbox 360 Hard Drive to another? My original one's gotten almost to bursting point. A step-by-step process would be fantastic.

Great topic, BTP. :)

Dunxco on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've got 3, 4 open world games on my pc right now, and only Arma and Saints Row 2 have any modicum of mod-ability. What open world games have come out recently that are good, look nice and have a healthy mod scene.

Depends on what genre you're looking for, but X3 is an open-world space sim and Oblivion is an open-world RPG.

They're both available on Steam and Impulse.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dunxco wrote: »
    How would anyone recommend going about transferring data from one Xbox 360 Hard Drive to another? My original one's gotten almost to bursting point. A step-by-step process would be fantastic.

What've you got, an old style hard drive or a new, built-in one?

If the former, go get a transfer kit. $20, stupid simple. Strap the old drive to it, strap the new drive to the 360(if using an old model), plug USB end of kit into 360. It'll detect it and you can just follow the directions from there.

If the latter, I think you might be hosed.

yalborap on
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    What's the best way to set up being able to record gameplay from the 360 onto the PC?

If you have an old PC with a radeon All-In-Wonder it should have an attachment that lets you hook up the 360 via composite or s-video.

Something Awful has an excellent tech support thread. Make sure to read the OP and the first couple posts thoroughly or you'll be devoured by goons. Then get Audacity for commentary and AviSynth for video capture. I use VirtualDub but the forums have moved on a bit and they recommend AviSynth now.

It took me maybe three hours to go from nothing to recording DMC4 gameplay with top-notch video quality. But that project pretty much fell through once my free time disappeared. :(

Edit: Holy shit totally missed how far the thread went.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yalborap wrote: »
    Dunxco wrote: »

What've you got, an old style hard drive or a new, built-in one?

If the former, go get a transfer kit. $20, stupid simple. Strap the old drive to it, strap the new drive to the 360(if using an old model), plug USB end of kit into 360. It'll detect it and you can just follow the directions from there.

If the latter, I think you might be hosed.

It's an Arcade 360 with a (I think) 32GB HDD stuck on the top. If it's that simple I can probably get that sorted tomorrow or next week. Cheers, Yalborap. :)

Dunxco on
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What is the deal with "collector's editions" of popular games? I don't remember ever seeing many of them before around 2007, but now every semi-popular titles has a "collector's edition" upon release.
    I don't believe I've ever encountered, or heard of somebody "collecting" games, as if they are expected to increase value over time in some way. Is it just a ploy to get people to pay a lot more for a little bit of arbitrary DLC and a statue?

Dram on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dram wrote: »
    What is the deal with "collector's editions" of popular games? I don't remember ever seeing many of them before around 2007, but now every semi-popular titles has a "collector's edition" upon release.
    I don't believe I've ever encountered, or heard of somebody "collecting" games, as if they are expected to increase value over time in some way. Is it just a ploy to get people to pay a lot more for a little bit of arbitrary DLC and a statue?

1vgcnew1large.jpg

As far as increasing in value, yes, a thousand times over. If you keep the manual, box, and cartridge in good shape, you can expect to sell it on ebay for a decent profit.

The annoying thing about these extras like statues, maps, coins, etc., is they used to be standard; now one has to pre-order, or pay extra to collect them.

Actually, that reminds me. There used to be a term for those extras; greeblies, or feelies, or something similar. Anyone remember the right word?

Tamin on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Feelies were what Infocom called them.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tamin wrote: »

1vgcnew1large.jpg

As far as increasing in value, yes, a thousand times over. If you keep the manual, box, and cartridge in good shape, you can expect to sell it on ebay for a decent profit.

The annoying thing about these extras like statues, maps, coins, etc., is they used to be standard; now one has to pre-order, or pay extra to collect them.

Actually, that reminds me. There used to be a term for those extras; greeblies, or feelies, or something similar. Anyone remember the right word?

Well holy shit!

Dram on
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tamin wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that mentality is what killed the comics industry in the early 90s. Things only become collectible if they're rare and in demand. The occasional person will shell out the money for a mint-in-box game with the accessories packed in, but the hundreds (thousands?) of 'collectors' are not all going to find buyers.

Everyone wants the useless kitsch they own to become the next Action Comics #1, but it is not going to happen, because now everbody is doing it. See: beanie babies, pogs, comics, old movies, etc..

Games are not an investment in any real sense of the word. Just because some goose on ebay is asking six grand for a sealed copy of Chrono Trigger does not mean people are buying it.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not sure if this or the sales thread is a better place to ask, but why does the video game industry place so much importance on preorders? Is there another type of media that emphasizes this as well? I can't think of any time when someone asked me to preorder a DVD or a CD.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this or the sales thread is a better place to ask, but why does the video game industry place so much importance on preorders? Is there another type of media that emphasizes this as well? I can't think of any time when someone asked me to preorder a DVD or a CD.

Nearest reasons I can think of:

Preorders = demand
    A superflous charge to ensure more money and increase profit margin
    Preorders help establish how long the item should remain at full price and how long a company should wait before said product gets put on sale or receives a price drop. (BLOPS: No sales till 2013; Medal of Honor: $35 by years end).

Here's my question, these microsoft points I have been racking up with all my GfWL, can I use them to buy things?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    [Wrong Thread]

[EDIT]
    Gamestop takes preorders to guarantee sales and increase the supply sent from manufacturers, but also because a ton of preorders go unclaimed, meaning that $5 is 100% profit.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [Wrong Thread]

[EDIT]
    Gamestop takes preorders to guarantee sales and increase the supply sent from manufacturers, but also because a ton of preorders go unclaimed, meaning that $5 is 100% profit.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Gamestop just had a recent deal where they refunded all those people who preordered stuff and didn't get it. I had $10 due back but didn't have anything to spend it on. (woot PC gaming?)

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

So you want the best possible experience for the cheapest available cost?
    Don't think it's gonna happen. You can get EITHER cheap OR effortless. There is a reason they don't go together.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Don't think it's gonna happen. You can get EITHER cheap OR effortless. There is a reason they don't go together.

No not really. He can get this.
    The motionjoy drivers that allow ps3 controllers to be used as xbox360 controllers have options for other controllers. You can set up any controller to emulate any other controller, by the look of it.

If he means something plug n play then no you can't get that.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is it normal, or at least "something that occasionally happens," for a Wii sent in for repairs to take a week or more to get to Nintendo? I dropped off my buzzing, noisy Wii at UPS last Friday (28th) and Nintendo's repair status still reads "waiting for components to arrive."

Edit: Sure enough, right after I post about it, it shows up at Nintendo. To answer my own question, "yes."

Darlan on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is there any trick to making voice chat on the 360 work better? The thing is constantly cutting out on me when I play Two Worlds 2 with my friend.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

No not really. He can get this.
    The motionjoy drivers that allow ps3 controllers to be used as xbox360 controllers have options for other controllers. You can set up any controller to emulate any other controller, by the look of it.

If he means something plug n play then no you can't get that.

Motionjoy is not effortless. and I don't know how much cheaper the Dual Shock 3 is.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well how about that. I had a question to ask and I didn't really want to start a new thread, then I saw this one. Thank goodness for question threads.

So lately I've been feeling like its time for me to catch up with the cool kids and finally buy a console. I haven't owned one since the N64, and I don't really know what the pros and cons of current systems are these days.

I need your help choosing between a PS3 and Xbox 360. The Wii is not a good fit for me, and I couldn't care less about all that move and kinect stuff. I mostly want one for games that I can't play on PC. Multiplayer really isn't a priority. Any shooters or other online games I will play on my computer. The console games I'm interested in are ones like Red Dead Redemption.

Is there a clear console choice for someone like me? Or does it come down to each system's library?

bamjo on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yes, a PS3 bamjo. Why? I looked at two criteria: Single player games, and games not on the PC. The choice is clear for you... Just make sure you get a DUALSHOCK 3 controller, and not a shitty SIXAXIS controller and you'll be happy.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I agree. The 360 is a fantastic PC-gaming alternative, and I don't mean that in any kind of condescending manner: a $200-300 viable alternative to a $1000-1500 gaming machine is amazing. But if you're already covered there, PS3 has a ton of great exclusives, and seems to be more on the ball with the last gen HD-remakes, which is great for a guy in your position.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Can someone name me some relaxing DS games? Something casual is preferred.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Phantasy Star IV question. I am just at Gumbious, how much more of the game is there?

Satanic Jesus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    urahonky wrote: »

I felt those brain enhancing games were relaxing and Contact never had me fuming.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    urahonky wrote: »

I felt those brain enhancing games were relaxing and Contact never had me fuming.

Good suggestions, thanks :) I'll look into them.

Are there any tower defense games on the DS?

urahonky on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Phantasy Star IV question. I am just at Gumbious, how much more of the game is there?

It depends on whether you're at the level you need to be or not. That area is one of the only ones in the game I ever feel the need to grind, and you will see why when you get to the next dungeon.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

It depends on whether you're at the level you need to be or not. That area is one of the only ones in the game I ever feel the need to grind, and you will see why when you get to the next dungeon.
    The Air Castle? Yeah, I just did that bit and I had to grind a bit and I found Lashiec to be a little hard. But now I'm past that and going to take a break from PSIV for today.

Satanic Jesus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

The Air Castle? Yeah, I just did that bit and I had to grind a bit and I found Lashiec to be a little hard. But now I'm past that and going to take a break from PSIV for today.

Ah, okay. I replay Phantasy Star I-IV every year (yeah... I know it's weird), and the Air Castle is the only real hiccup in terms of getting through that game for me. It requires way, way less grinding than any of the other ones. If you have any other questions, you can feel free to PM me. I know those games better than some of the developers at this point. ;-)

Incidentally, I find Lashiec a bit easier than the midpoint bosses. I have them down to a science, but they can still wreck me if they get lucky or my macros decide to not work properly.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How'd you make it through Phantasy Star 2 and 3? I tried playing them the other year and the interface was unbearable.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I grew up playing them. I got PSII and III when they first came out, so I replay it out of nostalgia and fondness for my childhood these days. That said, I don't think the interface is that bad. There are a few things that are clunky compared to contemporary JRPGs, but I don't think there's anything impossible to deal with.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ok, I ask again.

This is my first month on Xbox Live Gold and the chat is awful. It either just never kicks in when someone talks or all I hear is garbeld bullshit. Am I doing something wrong?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nah, the standard headsets are pretty awful.

If it's co op I usually try and pester the people I'm playing with to use vent instead.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Is there a better headset that would fix it? Is vent something I can use on the 360? I don't have a home PC.

Magic Pink on