Options

[DnD] The Fantastical Contraption - Pt. 4 - Heart of Darkness

2456752

Posts

  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Carrel folded his arms in contemplation. Fishing into his pockets, he pulls out a piece of parchment and slides it over to the other side of the table, without a word. You can see on it is part of the design already shown on Korin's parchment.

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "I've seen this before...could it be..."

    He snatches the paper, and rushes off to his study, slamming the door. You hear a slight click after.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Hmm." Daus stood and turned to his room. "If Skarr shows up, make sure he gets whatever he dreamt up and got down together. I'll be right back."

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "...I felt kind of silly this morning, but I did take the time to sketch out the parts I saw in my dream. Didnt think it would ever come up, but I guess as long as its show and tell time..."

    Swanky fishes into his pockets and begins pulling things out and resting them on the table. 2 buttons, a small pile of dirt, a fish skull, a set of keys (that he quickly puts back into his pocket), a corkscrew, and a few vials of arcane ritual ingredients that he had "procured" from Daus' room.

    Looking nervously at Carrel, Swanky slid the vials over to his brother. "He really should be careful where he leaves things, I was just bringing these down to return to him".

    Suddenly Swanky's eyes lit up and he drew his sword and placed in on the table with his other belongings. He turned his scabbard upside down and a small parchment fell out. Swanky replaced his sword all all his assorted Swag and uncrumpled the parchment on the table. On the parchment was a carefully sketched layout of the general goods store in town with markers showing where the most valuable items were kept. Swanky quickly turned the parchment over to show some hastily drawn schematics for parts that seemed to match his brothers' artwork.

    Swanky shifted his weight and tried with his most serious tone..."Ya, umm they proprietor of the store wanted me to work up a little something for him...he is trying to improve his security. Hired me on as a consultant." Carrel's raised eyebrow let Swanky know that his story was not getting him anywhere fast. "Look, don't tell dad, ok? But the important thing is the schematics, right? Spooky same dreams and whatnots?"

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wow, you guys are moving fast! Sorry for ruining the timing on your roleplaying opportunities. I'll try to keep up.

    Skarr enters the kitchen, his tusked face looking haggard and drawn. Clearly he hadn't gotten much sleep last night.

    "Skarr tired and grumpy, Swanky no yell so much, or Swanky find his heart in Skarr's belly." Skarr mutters, dropping down in his traditional seat. His mass had long since stopped breaking fragile wooded chairs in Corran's Reach. Living with a master inventor made for never having to break furniture again. By accident anyway. He immediatly grabs for whatever food is on the table, shoving it into his tusked mouth.

    Skarr must be tired, you haven't heard him drop into his native Orcish speech patterns in years. Not since Corran taught each of the brothers how to properly read and write. Shaking his head to clear the cobwens, and downing a glass of juice (Korin's most likely since Skarr's place setting isn't actually on the table yet), Skarr woke up enough to elaborate.

    "Grrr. I was up late last night trying to come up with some designs. As usual they all stunk, so I went to sleep. But then I had these awful dreams, just awful. I was dreaming of parts, of all things. Not blood or violence, not glory or women. But these stupid parts!" Skarr tosses a folded piece of parchment on the table, showing the crude designs from his dreams. He then notices Korin's and Swanky's sketches as well.
    "I saw those in my dreams too. What in the Nine Hells does that mean?"

    Reaching for more food, Skarr notices his plate and cup are missing. "Hey! Where are my.....SWANKY!!!!"

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Corran bursts out of his room, seeming unsure whether to be ecstatic or furious. You rarely see this sight.

    "Ok, boys, I need you to be completely, 100 PERCENT honest with me, and I will NOT GET MAD at you. Now...did ANY of you sneak into my library last night and use my collection of tomes as research for your schematics?"

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Daus returned briefly, adding his set of schematics to the pile.
    "Ok, boys, I need you to be completely, 100 PERCENT honest with me, and I will NOT GET MAD at you. Now...did ANY of you sneak into my library last night and use my collection of tomes as research for your schematics?"

    "I didn't."
    Daus had a policy of always being completely honest about everything.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "No father, I would have asked you for anything specific instead of going around your back"

    Carrel's demeanor had gone from somewhat curious to full blown mesmerized with the situation going on around him, his attention frozen on Corran.

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Of course not!" Korin shouts, "If I said I saw it in my dreams, I saw it in my dreams!"

    "Also, Swanky's planning to rob the general goods store. Sorry Swanky."

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Swanky stood up on his chair, straightened his shirt, and cleared his voice.

    "Ladies and gentlemen of the kitchen:

    On the first count of breaking and entering into the library for the purposes of looking up schematics last night, my client pleads not guilty. By way of proof, my client offers offers testimony of everyone who both knows Swanky P. Corranson and has ever seen a schematic. They all testify that Swanky thinks schematics are lame and not worth breaking and entering for.

    On the second count of conspiracy to rob the general store my client pleads not guilty. The only evidence offered is a drawing of the store that seems to label valuables. Anyone could have drawn that on the back of my client's schematics and placed it into his scabbard. Furthermore, Korin is a jerk.

    That is all"

    Swanky steps down from his chair and glares at Korin.

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Corran unbolts his door, and exits from the study, carrying a dusty tome with him. He briefly looks over everyone's drawings, before sitting down, flipping a few pages, and flips it to face you five. On it, you see pages that have drawings of exactly the same pieces you saw in your sleep.

    "Boys, what you are looking at are the finest mechanical implements and tools ever created. EVER. Some say they've had divine influence, some say arcane, primal, psionic...but the point is, that with these...these tools, one could create whatever he wanted. The story is that long ago, Dillibrac, an inventor to rival even my own genius, found them in an old temple. He did what any good inventor would do...come up with pages upon pages of glorious design documents, on various ways to use these parts. But then he did what any good inventor wouldn't do...use them to create a machine solely intended for destroying a world. A great alliance of all the forces of Keltain came together, and stopped his machine at the last minute. They broke it down, and scattered the key pieces all over the land. I've even been able to piece together where a few of them are...but I've found them to be places with...charming local character.

    I don't know why you each had a dream of the parts of Dillibrac...but I tell you what: It's making me feel like creating. Haven't felt it in years..."

    He pauses for a thought.

    "Boys...you're starting to come into your own. I can't keep you at the Reach much longer. You need to go out into the world, explore it! See what there is to see! And I think that, in your own ways, you have become strong. You ARE strong. Strong enough, in body and ESPECIALLY in mind, to get those parts back to me. One last chore from your old man.

    What do you boys say?"

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Shaking his head at the folly of his brothers (And they call Skarr the dumb one!), Skarr continues to shovel food into his mouth, devouring his eggs.

    The whole condundrum facing his father is beyond Skarr's understanding or, frankly, his caring. Inventors doing thier whole inventing thing. Bah. What Skarr wanted was to get out. He liked it here in Corran's Reach, he liked his family, but Skarr wanted out. He wanted to see the world, he wanted to live like those in Corran's books. A life of adventure. He go anywhere, see anything. Slay monsters, amass treasures and glory. Maybe he'd even find a tribe of Orcs and see what life was like living as one of them? Skarr snapped out of his daydreams and turned and ear back to the table...

    Blah, blah, blah. They were talking about inventions again or still. Gods, Skarr was getting tired of it. Stupid dreams.
    "Boys...you're starting to come into your own. I can't keep you at the Reach much longer. You need to go out into the world, explore it! See what there is to see! And I think that, in your own ways, you have become strong. You ARE strong. Strong enough, in body and ESPECIALLY in mind, to get those parts back to me. One last chore from your old man.

    What do you boys say?"

    Skarr smiled, someone was listening. "What do I say? I'll tell you what I say: Where's my axe?"


    Wish List:
    Level2: Bracers of Mighty Striking
    Level3: Vanguard Execution Axe +1
    Level4: Cloak of the Walking Wounded +1
    Level5: Battleforged Platemail +1 (Hopefully, I'll have taken the feat by the time I get this item)

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Swanky's mind immediately shifted from trying to weasel out of the parchment map debacle to Corran's request. There's no telling what could be out there!

    "Where's Skarr's axe? Somebody find his axe! We got things to do, people to see, some...whatevers to find! Oh man, I need my stuff, lets get going. Who else is going? Nevermind, figure it out, I'll be right back!"

    Swanky raced up to his room and filled his pack with all the gear he thought he would need. Of course his normal camping gear, but he knew this trip was going to be even better. He slid the bottom out of the trunk at the foot of his bed, revealing his secret cache. He packed up his climbing kit, crowbar, glass cutter, grappling hook (of course), dagger and a stack of shuriken. So full of excitement he could hardly stand it, he sprinted back into the kitchen, to see who else was ready to go.

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Well, if my brothers are going, I am too!" Korin shouts, "Besides, if this thing is appearing in our dreams, I want to know why, and tracking this thing down is the only clue we've got!"

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The elderly gnome smiled. "That's the spirit, boys!

    Now, the first piece will likely be the easiest to retrieve. The peak on the otherside of this forest? There's an old hidey-hole there. Used to be used by bandits and such. I know for a fact, there's a Dillibrac piece there. I also know, for a fact, that the place won't be unoccupied. Too well defensible and hidden to pass up from that element of people. You take the road, though, and when it branches towards Highspring, you go west instead, up the peak for a bit. There should be a little plateau, with the lair carved into the mountain side. Shouldn't miss it. Now...go on and get me my materials, boys!"

    I'm putting a link to the map of the region in the OP. Just in case you fellas forgot what the place looked like.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Daus did not bother saying that he would go on this journey. He felt it obvious. Along with everything else about the situation. Too obvious to be believed, maybe.

    The five sons of a famous inventor dream of the works of Dillibrac. The one inventor who would get the most out of them. Someone wanted Corran to change the world some more. And that's what was too obvious.

    But what was there to do, but watch and be on guard? His dad's judgment might not be trusted here. That left Carrel, the only one he could carry on a real conversation w--
    He spared a brief glance at the gnome. Could Carrel's judgment be trusted, either? His... awe would wear off eventually, but even then? Carrel drew power from the Feywild, but Daus was unclear on the details. Could the Feywild, in turn, influence him in some way? Could the dreams have found their source there?
    Daus' quiet concern for his brother flared again.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Considering that I know why you started dreaming about the parts of Dillibrac, watching your hypotheses will be DELICIOUS.

    Unfortunately, tomorrow is a long day of work. I won't actually update the adventure until after, so from now til then is RP time.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ok then. Sorry for that delay, work sucked today.

    You make your final preparations to leave the Reach. As all five of you gather at the front door, you hear the gnome walk over to you.

    "Ah, my boys...I knew this day would come. My boys stepping out into the world on their own. Does me proud to realize I didn't waste all those years raising you five." He grins.

    "Now do yourselves proud out there...and do ME proud by bringing back that Dillibrac piece!" He then shoves you out the door, and slams it shut. You hear a slight click. You begin to think that he has been waiting for this day.

    The sky is clear, and the weather warm as you set out. It takes you the better part of a day to follow the road to where Corran indicated, but sure enough, you come to the crossroads he talked about. You turn away from the road, and begin to head up the side of the small mountain. After about an hour's worth of climbing, you come to a flat plataeu. Sure enough, nearly 50 feet in front of you the mountain wall resumes, and there is a staircase carved into the side of the mountain. It zigzags upwards for about 30 feet before it stops at what looks to you to be some kind of door.

    Also, off to the side you see an opening in the mountain wall.

    So what's your course of action?

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skarr will follow his brothers' lead...


    Hey all, I'll be gone for the weekend, assume Skarr wants to cave everything's head open with his Axe until I get back...

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Should we have someone roll for you Steel?

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Stairs? pfffssh"

    Swanky takes off before anyone can talk him out of it, creeping carefully up to the small opening in the mountainside. He crouches behind a nearby bush and peers into the opening.


    OOC:
    Stealth Check: 1d20+9 (14) = 23
    Perception Check 1d20+5 (15) = 20

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Well... I'm not surprised he has taken off. Should we wait, or try to catch up to him?" Carrel surmises. He looks around for an answer.

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Korin has been leading the way for most of the trek, cheerfully blazing the trail. In fact, he's irritatingly cheerful, like that one guy on a hiking trip. You know, the one who seems completely oblivious to the fact that you've been walking up a steep incline without a break for the past few hours, and 'encourages' you to continue by turning around and saying "Hurry up, slowpoke!" or, "Come on, it hasn't been THAT far!".

    Korin stops at the base of the stairs. "Hey, guys," he says, studying them carefully, "Don't you think it's kinda odd for stairs to be carved out here? Hmm..."

    History: 1d20+2=12
    WhiteWolf wrote: »
    "Well... I'm not surprised he has taken off. Should we wait, or try to catch up to him?" Carrel surmises. He looks around for an answer.

    "No, if he needs us, he'll shout."

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Farangu wrote: »
    Should we have someone roll for you Steel?

    Sure, I don't want you guys to wait for me so if its needed, go ahead and roll for me.

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "It's probably the place we're looking for, Korin." Daus was considering laying off of Korin for a while. It had been so long since Daus had taken more than a pleasant stroll outside that he had forgotten the effort hiking and climbing took. While he looked the part--he had changed to a more adventurous body, lean and strong, shorter and lighter skinned--but he suspected that only made his difficulties more obvious. Still, he tried very hard not to look winded, and didn't dare complain or wonder if maybe they could rest now for a few minutes.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "I know that, but at the same time, dad didn't say much about this place either. I'm trying to think of who might've made this, so we have a better idea of what kind of stronghold we'll be facing." Korin sighs and sits down on the steps. "Either way, we'll have to wait here for Swanky."

    "By the way, stranger," Korin says with a smirk, now that he's noticed Daus's new form, "My other brother seems to have wandered off again. Keep an eye out for him, would you?"

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Swanky:
    You hear the sounds of water coming from the opening. You don't notice anything otherwise out of the ordinary from your hiding spot.

    Korin:
    You know that this place has been home to several bandit gangs over the years, most famously the Rotten Tooth Gang of 1142. You remember reading about their initiation rituals.

    They were not pretty.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As the others are milling around, Swanky comes bounding back through the brush.

    "There's no need to thank me for scouting or anything, I do it because I care. If anyone cares to know, it sounds like theres some sort of underground stream through the cave opening, but I didn't see any ne'er-do-wells in the area. Well, no more than us, anyhoo"

    "So, whatcha think? Door or passageway?"

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Well if there's no action down the one path, then I say it'd be more rewarding for us to go searching down the other one, don't you think?"

    Carrel tapped his staff on the ground a couple times and fiddled with something in his pocket before waiting for a response.

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well boys, decision time: Hole in the mountain, or right up to the front door?

    Also which of the brothers is slipping more into the leadership role? Better than ruling by committee on everything, and the role can always change hands on a later fool's errand...

    Farangu on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thinking aloud, Korin says, "Well, like dad said, this place is popular among bandits, and we probably don't want to walk right up to them. At the same time, we can't be sure where that cave even leads to, or if it'll even be safer, right?"

    Korin stands in front of the others, trying to look as authoritative as possible. "So, I say we go straight up to the front door. It's better to face a known danger than an unknown one, if you ask me."

    Korin is more than willing to take the lead. It's up to you if your characters are insane enough to follow him. :P

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    No one tell him I said this, but Daus is way more fool than monarch.

    If they marched right up to the front door, they'd look like idiots. Which they mostly were. And they mostly would be. But given the choice between stairs and any kind of climbing at all, Daus knew there was no choice.

    "Good point, Korin." It was a terrible point. If there were bandits, they didn't know anything about them. the cave might go directly to where they wanted to be. There were reasons to go to the front door, but Korin had not touched on even one of them. None of that mattered next to the convienence of stairs.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm adding a house rule for convienence at this point; whenever there's a decision to be made, I'll proceed as soon as there's a majority consensus.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "To the door!" Swanky was nearly running in circles around his brothers, his excitement was uncontainable.

    He bounded half way up the stairs before he realized that his group was still behind him. He turns and waves for them to catch up, stamping his foot impatiently, but unwilling to go further without them.

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Your band of brothersI literally could not wait for that one any longer progresses up the stairs. They ascend for about 30 or 40 feet, before ending in a small platform leading to an imposing door. You see a small scaly figure standing in front of the door.

    "Well, well, humie-type folks! Aldough one of em's big and green...still, 'dough, orders is orders! BOYZ!!"

    After he shouts, you see several smaller scaly figures emerge from platforms cut into the rock 10 feet above the door. One of them leaps out from the platform to land on the staircase behind you.

    Roll for initiative!

    Map:
    banditlairdoor1.png
    You can place yourselves in the 5 squares from E5 to E8, and D6.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Initiative: 1d20+0 3
    Also I'll take E7, I suppose.


    "Korin, you are a tactical genius."
    Daus(E7): HP: 20, AC: 14, Fort: 10, Ref: 14 Will: 16

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Initiative:1d20+1=14

    "I know, right?"

    I'll start in D6, if there aren't any complaints. Also, as a note, my Mantle of Elation Class Feature, gives me and any allies within 5 squares +3 to opportunity attack damage rolls. In addition, due to my Mantle of Readiness feat, we all also get +2 to movement speed for the first round.

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skarr growls, and bares his fangs as the Kobolds move to attack.

    "Korin, you are an idiot." Skarr says, glaring at his brothers. The clever uses of sarcasm are currently beyond Skarr. His blood is up, and there are foes before him. How he longed for a day like today! Skarr hefted his axe, and moved into the fight.


    Initiative = 20 (modified) from Invisible Castle.

    Skarr will start in E5

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You can use mythweavers also, I'm not picky in that regard.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mr. Carrel and Mr. Swanky, please report to the initiative desk

    Farangu on
Sign In or Register to comment.