As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Indonesian to English phrase translation

piLpiL Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I've seen the following phrase on a shirt: aku lamar kau atau kau lamar aku

It was explained it to me as, "If I ask you, you ask me." or something like that, which doesn't make any sense to me. Google translation tells me it is "I have applied to you or you have applied to me" and I still can't decipher the meaning. I'm assuming it's an idiom of some sort, so I'm wondering if anybody could explain the gist of it.

Thanks!

piL on

• NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As someone who has absolutely no knowledge of Indonesian, I would guess it's "you scratch my back, I scratch yours." I'll ask my Indonesian friend when I see her.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Awesome; much appreciated.

piL on
  • NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Apparently, in Indonesia, a couple will go to see each others' parents and formally ask them for their son/daughter's hand in marriage; this is called "lamar." So, I guess you could translate it as "I introduce you to my parents, then you introduce me to yours" or "Let's get married." Either way, it seems like a strange thing to put on a t-shirt.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nibble wrote: »
    Apparently, in Indonesia, a couple will go to see each others' parents and formally ask them for their son/daughter's hand in marriage; this is called "lamar." So, I guess you could translate it as "I introduce you to my parents, then you introduce me to yours" or "Let's get married." Either way, it seems like a strange thing to put on a t-shirt.

Yeah, that does seem a little odd. Thanks Nibble!

piL on