As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me chew out a Gamestop Register biscuit!

The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, here's the story.

I get paid today and since I had a little extra cash from a dude paying up on his bet. So I figure I've been good with my money lately, I'm entitled to a gift! Fallout 3. A game I've wanted to pick up for the longest.

It's on Steam but lacking a credit card that requires me to bug my friend to gift it when he won't be available to do so until 5 (I got paid at 3:15), then find a time when we can meet up, then give him $30 and it's just a pain in the ass. So I figure there's a Gamestop about 5 minutes from my job, I'll leave work, head over and grab Fallout 3. This is in Hartford, which is a good 20-30 minute drive. I don't have easy access to a car, and this was the least out of the way location that I felt I should ask my ride to bring me to (since the exit is literally facing the highway home).

Anyway, I grab the game, they pull it out of the drawer, but I don't raise a stink. It's a PC title, it's the last copy...and I of course inspect the disc myself, so there's no tampering or scuffs. I figure I'm all set, come home, and pop it into the drive...
Nothing.
Literally, nothing.
It hums and does the "CD Loading" icon next to my cursor, but nothing pops up. I explore the disc drive and the disc is in there, but there is literally nothing on it. As in it has been deleted.

Now, my question:
How much should I yell at the employee? (Figuratively speaking. How annoyed should I be. Should I stay calm, but firm? Should I make it clear I'm angry but not violently so? Should I just let them handle it?)
What should I demand? Right now I'm going for the obvious (WORKING fucking copy of the game), but I was thinking Used Price since it was CLEARLY not "New" (And not in the "It was out of the original package before I bought it" sense. Someone clearly brought this game home and brought it back.) Is this out of line? Too much? I don't think a ~$10 refund is too huge a deal all things considered. I'm going to stress CASH (No I don't want fucking credit for the store that just gypped me fuck off) and if all else fails, cash REFUND (And I WILL NOT accept "Store Credit" Refund. If I can't get a straight exchange I'm taking my business elsewhere.)

Thanks in advance for any help. I have a general idea, but I've never had to chew anyone out in person and I figure this place might have some GS employees who know exactly how to handle the situation to get what I want.

The Muffin Man on

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You can't really delete a cd... you can write over it but other than that you can't do it.

Make sure you are using a DVD reader, as fallout 3 is much too large to fit on a single CD

I think it may even be on dual layer, not sure someone can confirm/deny
    So, here's the story.

I get paid today and since I had a little extra cash from a dude paying up on his bet. So I figure I've been good with my money lately, I'm entitled to a gift! Fallout 3. A game I've wanted to pick up for the longest.

It's on Steam but lacking a credit card that requires me to bug my friend to gift it when he won't be available to do so until 5 (I got paid at 3:15), then find a time when we can meet up, then give him $30 and it's just a pain in the ass. So I figure there's a Gamestop about 5 minutes from my job, I'll leave work, head over and grab Fallout 3. This is in Hartford, which is a good 20-30 minute drive. I don't have easy access to a car, and this was the least out of the way location that I felt I should ask my ride to bring me to (since the exit is literally facing the highway home).

Anyway, I grab the game, they pull it out of the drawer, but I don't raise a stink. It's a PC title, it's the last copy...and I of course inspect the disc myself, so there's no tampering or scuffs. I figure I'm all set, come home, and pop it into the drive...
    Nothing.
    Literally, nothing.
    It hums and does the "CD Loading" icon next to my cursor, but nothing pops up. I explore the disc drive and the disc is in there, but there is literally nothing on it. As in it has been deleted.

Now, my question:
    How much should I yell at the employee? (Figuratively speaking. How annoyed should I be. Should I stay calm, but firm? Should I make it clear I'm angry but not violently so? Should I just let them handle it?)
    What should I demand? Right now I'm going for the obvious (WORKING fucking copy of the game), but I was thinking Used Price since it was CLEARLY not "New" (And not in the "It was out of the original package before I bought it" sense. Someone clearly brought this game home and brought it back.) Is this out of line? Too much? I don't think a ~$10 refund is too huge a deal all things considered. I'm going to stress CASH (No I don't want fucking credit for the store that just gypped me fuck off) and if all else fails, cash REFUND (And I WILL NOT accept "Store Credit" Refund. If I can't get a straight exchange I'm taking my business elsewhere.)

Thanks in advance for any help. I have a general idea, but I've never had to chew anyone out in person and I figure this place might have some GS employees who know exactly how to handle the situation to get what I want.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    first- don't chew out anyone. no one has treated you poorly, to this point. you were given defective merchandise- it certainly wasn't a cruel joke being perpetrated by the employee. you have a job, right? do you appreciate being chewed out for things that are your fault? further, when you're chewed out, do you feel more or less inclined to go the extra mile for the chewer? think about it.

i'm a little unclear on whether you purchased a new or used game.

if it was a new game, you can get another brand new copy. you opened it, so no- you won't get a cash refund.

if it was a used game, you can get another copy or store credit or, if you wish, a full refund in cash.

note also that all policies are subject to leeway. behave accordingly.

if they don't have another new copy and you are polite, you will probably be able to weasel a refund. but if the game was new and they have other copies in stock to replace it with, you'll get one of those.

Organichu on
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My opinion

Explain the problem calmly
    Ask for a replacement
    Don't be a dick about it

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Organichu: Bought new, given a copy from the drawer. It was already opened so "No refund" isn't going to fly.

My drive is a DVD Drive. I've had no problems with other games in the past. Team Fortress 2 runs perfectly fine from a disc.

FF: Being a dick is definitely out. Thought I was clear in the OP I'm not literally going to yell at them, just be firm.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Then call up and ask for a new copy politely, or if you can exchange it for an online download code if they have them (do they do this?)

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Then call up and ask for a new copy politely, or if you can exchange it for an online download code if they have them (do they do this?)

Doubtful they'd have it, or be willing to support Steam :P

Also calling them up isn't gonna do much. I have to get down there eventually anyhow, ad I'd rather be there so they can't put me on hold for an hour and pretend to get a manager.

Speaking of Steam, this pretty much just reinforces my thoughts of "Fuck Brick and Mortar".
    Certainly does so for Gamestop.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You did receive a new copy, Gamestop does not take used computer games. It was in the drawer because they put everything in the drawers, they do not have any games on the shelf, this is policy.

This is like any defective product. Call the store, explain that the disk does not work, ask for an exchange.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There really is no issue here; go right back to the GS and ask for a replacement disk or your money back. There is no need to be "firm" or steadfast, the error is not yours (or really theirs). Its a faulty disc. And you don't have to "yell" to come off as a dick - I've dealt with people who took the "firm" approach and they got 40% less effective help from me had they just rolled in and been like "Hey this is the problem - I know we can work it out."

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    why would you yell at the register store guy at all?

it's not his fault, dang

just go back and get what you paid for or your money back

this seems like the first time this has happened and you are amazingly overreacting, good god

if you do want a refund, and that's kinda counterproductive because then you need to find another ride to another store etc etc etc then you should be able to get back your actual cash, yes

don't ask for "a little something for your time", that is stupid

why are you angry at all? it's a freaking video game. Granted you paid money for something that doesn't work but they have a full return policy

Raneados on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    it's certainly not a used copy. if it was, the fact it's a blank dvd would have been picked up on in the first place and it would have been refunded then

it's defective merchandise. it happens. the retailer will be happy to swap it or give you a refund

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wait you think it was used because they got it out of the drawer

have you ever purchased anything at gamestop before

Skull Man on
  • Options
    KotenkKotenk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Since you don't have a car and rely on other people for transportation I'd use a phone (hopefully you have one) and call them and spoke about what happened. Next time you are being driven closeby, stop by and exchange it.

Mistakes happen and I'm not sure why you're blaming any cashier or biscuit or whatever other degrading title you apply to someone who has a job that probably pays for a car and spending money outside bets.

Yes its frustrating to go through the trouble but it's not anyone's intent nor is it negligence.

Kotenk on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    When you manufacture hundreds of thousands of things, some of them have defects.

This time you win!

You might want to try it in another drive if you've got another PC handy, just for kicks.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Did you read your receipt? You should read your receipt.

spoiler:
    the game adviser has nothing to do with rules printed on the receipt

What I'm saying is don't be a stupid asshole customer and go back and go through the proper motions to get a replacement and/or refund. It's not the dude's fault you got a bum disc, and you going in there and acting like an entitled child isn't going to make him want to help you.

Also, when I worked at Gamestop over 7 years ago, we stopped putting CDs in the PC box cases. Why? People steal them.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Organichu: Bought new, given a copy from the drawer. It was already opened so "No refund" isn't going to fly.

you got a new game

there is no functional difference (in store policy) between a still wrapped new game and a gutted new game

Organichu on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, you need to chill out.

Walk back in with the game. Explain, "Hey, this is defective. And this is why..." in a NICE TONE OF VOICE. They will exchange it. End of story.

Esh on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Don't be a dick, don't be "firm", don't ask for compensation

I was a GS register jocky. People bitched at me for things completely beyond my control. I wanted to follow them to their car and hit them upside the head with a bat.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

My drive is a DVD Drive. I've had no problems with other games in the past. Team Fortress 2 runs perfectly fine from a disc.

FF: Being a dick is definitely out. Thought I was clear in the OP I'm not literally going to yell at them, just be firm.

Uh... TF2 doesn't run from a disc.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have very little experience with GameStop and I absolutely don't endorse being a dick to the employee, but people returning PC games is kind of a problem area for stores and I would expect a little resistance - although obviously less so if he's just looking for a replacement disc.

Make sure you are familiar with their returns policy for PC games, because you might need it.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    When they so no returns/exchanges what they're saying is "we're not going to let you install 20 games, crack them, and load us up with unsellable merch"

What they're not saying and what actually is the case is, if you're a normal customer, and you make a stupid mistake or the product doesn't work, they'll give you a refund/exchange. Usually.

Robman on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You might want to try it in another drive if you've got another PC handy, just for kicks.

This can't be stressed enough. My wife couldn't install any Blizzard games (among other titles) on her old computer because they absolutely refused to work with her DVD-R drive. I could take the same discs and install them on my own computer no problem.

Edit: I know in my old store if something like this happened we would immediately swap the disc, no questions asked. Now, you bought a gutted copy meaning you may have gotten the last one. Unless they are a PC-A store (few of which exist anymore... most are C or D), they likely won't have another one, and with the game being out over a year, may not get another one. It's listed as "Not available online" on the site, so that's my bet... it may be that a refund is the only possibility.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Besides the point, his DVD drive isn't broken is all that matters.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    if you go in there and ask for the same game you will run into zero problems

Raneados on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And just for future reference: most everything from a policy standpoint at a major corporate store like Gamestop (or, say, Blockbuster, where I worked) is going to be out of the clerk's hands. How angry should you be at the employee? Not angry at all; he was just doing his job. He had no control over your game not working, and he can't do much other than follow store policy.

You would not believe what these people have to deal with. Their job fucking sucks enough without them taking your shit.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skull Man wrote: »
    wait you think it was used because they got it out of the drawer

have you ever purchased anything at gamestop before

He thought it was used because there was nothing on the disc, and he also thought disc erasing was possible, thus someone "erased it" and returned it as a cruel joke.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I know it's already been addressed but:

Help me chew out a Gamestop Register biscuit!

No. Bad.

Don't do this.

If you get the wrong thing, or a broken thing or whatever, please just take it back explain the situation kindly and they will correct it.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Treat others the way you would like to be treated. Would you like to be on the other end of insults from someone who thinks you're a "biscuit" and needs advice on how to be mean from the internet?

Qorzm on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Seriously, help me chew out a register biscuit?

Over a faulty product they have no control over?

Take it back, exchange the product, and work on being less of an ass.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You don't "chew out" anyone, man. You go there, tell your story, and they make it right. The fuck is wrong with you?

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Makershot wrote: »
    You don't "chew out" anyone, man. You go there, tell your story, and they make it right. The fuck is wrong with you?

Uh, he was clearly bamboozled. The disc was erased, damnit! It was erased and then resold to him in new condition! Fucking devil of a store, man. [/sarcasm]

This thread is just testament to what is happening to PC gaming. You don't buy PC games at the store anymore. Steam. GOG. Whatever else you can do. No credit card? Get a pre-paid one then. They're like gift cards these days--no excuse.

Mind you, I've never been to a Gamestop/EB where they "gut" new games. I'm in Canada, though.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't know where to start. If the game was a gutted copy, it was sealed at the point of sale in some fashion. Gamestop will replace the game for you if they have a copy, and if they don't, kindly ask for them to get a copy from another store shipped in so you can get a working copy. You got a defective copy and it was defective whether it was sealed or gutted. It isn't the end of world and the employee doesn't deserve your nerd wrath.

More importantly, why are you asking us about Gamestop policies as opposed to, you know, fucking Gamestop?

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Can you let me know what is your reasoning behind wanting to bitch out an employee?

Cause I don't think the guy/gal sold you a defective game on purpose.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Maybe it wasn't erased.

Maybe someone just didn't rewind the disc.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Step 1: return the merch to game stop and politely exchange the defective product for another copy
    Step 2: on your way home, stop at your bank and request a fucking debit card
    Step 3: purchase future PC games on steam / online

There is literally no reason you should be thinking about "chewing out" some schmuck working retail for $7 an hour.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    $7.25/hr thank you very much

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I bought the hard copy and installed it from the disc.

Shadowfire: I tried it on another computer and it ran fine. Still returning it, but now I know the annoyance lies with Bethesda and not GS.

Well.
    STILL annoyed with GS but that's more because they had the nerve to charge me full price for a game they chucked into the drawer, but that's not a battle worth fighting right now.

Problem more or less solved? Well, unless they refuse a refund today.
    Maybe someone just didn't rewind the disc.
    Assholes!

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Save the hassle of returning it by hooking the drive that works up to the computer you want to install it to, and then use the Fallout Mod Manager (FOOM) to launch the game, which negates the disc check? Of course, this is a hardware hassle.

Or use the computer it works in to copy the disk, maybe the copy will work?

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    why are you expecting a refund?

their return policy clearly states that used games can be returned for a full refund, and that new games, unopened, can be returned for a full refund. a new game that has been opened is not refundable. you will be issued another new copy of the game, if they can get their hands on one. the only way you're getting a refund is if they can't find another copy and the manager's feeling nice.

again, their policy perceives no difference between an enclosed new game and a gutted new game. they are both still new. in fact, most stores will actually take it back and reshrink it for you if you wish.

and muffin?

don't yell at anyone when you go there

Organichu on
  • Options
    robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Since you've bought this game legitimately, you can register it with Steam and then download it. At least that's how I understand the process.

See this screenshot in the lower left hand corner there's an Add Game button; clicking that allows you to enter the CD key of a game. I think that should let you download it after, but I dunno, I haven't actually done that before.

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Refund ain't gonna happen, so I guess you're going to go in there and tear shit up, eh?

Really, you're buying PC games at a store that is notorious for gutting their new games. Why are you surprised, here?

Steam accepts credit cards and paypal. You can get a pre-paid credit card from any store that sells gift cards. Alternatively, you can hook your Paypal account up to your bank's debit card. Then, you won't have to worry about chewing anyone's biscuit out at all!

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
This discussion has been closed.