As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thinking about picking up a piano keyboard, advice?

The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupinesIrvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
When I was a kid I had a low end electric piano keyboard. I don't read music, but I loved fiddling with it and working out various songs by ear. A while back my mother decided I did not play it often enough and went to store in our outside storage run on the side of the house with nothing but a black trash bag covering half of it. Of course it rained and killed the thing which made me very sad.

Anyway, I've been moved out for a while now and here and there get a hankering to play this or that song and then lament the lack of a piano to play them with, so I thought I'd look into a cheap keyboard. I have no idea where to start though. I did a quick search on Amazon and this came up. Looks like a good deal and comes with all the accessories I'd need. Though I have no idea, so I'd like some advice, are there any better ones I could get, what's the best one I could go for with a budget under 200 bucks, is there a place I could get a better price on this one?

I'm no enthusiast, I just want something I can tinker with here and there when the urge grabs me that sounds good, and I'd rather not spend more than 200 bucks if I don't have to.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
The_Spaniard on

• Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That looks as good as any in that price range. Looking used on Craigslist will probably yield you a nicer keyboard for the money, but "upgrades" that might considered like weighted keys, 76 or 88 keys, etc. usually come in a higher price range than $200 will allow. But if you want a new, no-fuss-no-muss, delivered to your door keyboard for messing around on, then yes, what you linked is a good way to go.

Another place to poke around is Musician's Friend, just to browse by price/manufacturer to get a feel for what's available.

Michael H on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That keyboad should be fine for what you want. I would suggest picking up a sustain pedal as well. (I couldn't live without one.)

I used to prefer the feel of Casio keyboards to Yamahas in this price range since Casios felt like levers and Yamahas like sponges, but it was ten years back I was looking so this isn't necessarily still valid.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah there are a lot of pieces that don't work without a sustain pedal.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for the advice on Musician's Friend. Ordered, and then when I got to the checkout screen it asked if I had a promo code. Whenever I am shopping online and the checkout asks me this I ALWAYS google the name of the store and "promo codes". Found one that saved me an extra 10 bucks on my order, so I got the keyboard, stand, and pedal for 180 bucks. Sweet deal! Shipping was pretty killer too, free shipping and it will arrive in 2-5 days. 8-)

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nice! Yeah, I always do a search on promo codes; there's so many sites that specialize in such matters that you can usually find any existing bargains pretty quickly. Enjoy rocking out with your keyboard.

Michael H on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think the first 2 songs I'm going to play on it will be;
    Bink's Sake - One Piece
    and
    Death and Life - Lost

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Try this: It's not as hard as it sounds, and it's fantastic for testing the sustain pedal :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXOJwGO9sEg

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Any good online free keyboard teaching tutorials? I know there's "Nota" on the apple app store, but that's not free, and my iPhone is not a big enough device for that. I've got a keyboard, but I can't play it worth a damn.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I hope it arrives today, it was supposed to come within 2-5 days. =P

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Any good online free keyboard teaching tutorials? I know there's "Nota" on the apple app store, but that's not free, and my iPhone is not a big enough device for that. I've got a keyboard, but I can't play it worth a damn.
    Are you looking to develop general skills or tutorials for a specific song?

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Are you looking to develop general skills or tutorials for a specific song?

Oh, I'd like some tips on developing general skills.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Same here. Other than being able to name the keys, personally I have no more training.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The most vital thing is simply this:

If you want to learn to read sheet music, spend as much time as you can sight reading with both hands simultaneously. Force yourself to learn the notes. I always slacked on the sight reading, and it meant that as I got better it took longer and longer to learn pieces as my technical ability outran my sight reading.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you want general skill, look up Hanon's "The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises". A quick google search is showing lots of dirt cheap print copies (new on Amazon is less than $7, and that's the high end of the scale), and even some online places with the content for free. Basically, it's the gold standard of simple keyboard exercises to build finger dexterity - simple variations on scales to help you build up the proper muscles.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.