As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What PSU do I need?

surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloveddreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
Recently I asked here if troubles I had sounded PSU-related, and they were confirmed to be. However, I then realised that I wasn't exactly sure what type of PSU I needed - or even what manufacturer would be best.

Here's my setup:

4870 x2 <--- I think this is causing power draw problems atm
SATA2 HDD
solid state HDD
4 usb devices
no other internal cards, although on-board stuff like networking and sound as normal
i7 820 with a stock cooler

What kind of PSU should I be getting for this lot?

obF2Wuw.png
surrealitycheck on

• Options
    RynaRyna Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    According to the Thermaltake Power Supply Calculator
    (and I assumed you meant i7 920)

You'd need a 500 - 550 Watt PSU
    Although I'd recommend a nice 600 watt PSU in case you want to chuck in some expansion cards or more drives...

Ryna on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The computer build thread has a section on PSUs.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My recommendation would be to go with the Corsair 650W non-modular supply. It should be more than enough to keep you up and running, and it'll give you headroom for the future.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hmm, I'm currently using a 750W psu but it doesn't seem to be doing the job. If I switch to a better make but lower wattage does that have a decent chance of stopping the random resets?

http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-018-CS&tool=3

Thinking of going with this.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What brand is your PSU? it makes a pretty big difference to have a good name-brand vs some no-name crap.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    no-name crap, hence my suspicion of it

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you're willing to spend the money, the 750HX is a great buy.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh yeah, no-name PSU's will often advertise giving certain wattage and fall really short of delivering it, while having an efficiency of less than 40% and spiking your electricity bill.

My choice PSUs are:

Corsair
    Seasonic
    OCZ
    Coolermaster Real Power series
    Antec
    BFG

Or you could just click here, these guys know what they're talking about.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    OK, I'm getting the HX and let's see if all my problems fly away!

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    New PSU installed, testing with Crysis now...

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Seems like a victory, no blackout for a good hour of play. TEMPORARY HAPPINESS

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png