As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gianormous red ant

Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, AlonsoRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
In my parents garage just now scurrying across the deck. Fucker was probably 1/2 inches long. Very red coloration, with an enormous bulging abdomen, many times larger than the foresection of the body.

Naturally I squished it with extreme prejudice. When I was carrying the handy box-as-weapon over to the trashcan to dump the corpse, I noticed that the body of the ant had been obliterated into a smear, but that bulging abdomen had been filled with a twisting whitish mass of what looked like tubes. The tube mass was unharmed by the squishing and had sprung back to 3-dimensionality whereas the rest of the ants corpse was a 2-dimensional stain on the box.

OK amateur etymologists; what the hell did I just kill in my parents garage?

TLDR; jeep killed a gross bug and then got curious after the fact.

-edit-

Man I am dumb. I live in Northern Alabama in the United States.

Regina Fong on

• Options
    stahstah Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've seen huge ants like that around here (SC). They look "velvety" to me.

IIRC, they were pretty tough to kill and you didn't want them biting you.

stah on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    stah wrote: »
    I've seen huge ants like that around here (SC). They look "velvety" to me.

IIRC, they were pretty tough to kill and you didn't want them biting you.

Yeah this little guy survived several smooshes of the cardboard box, including one that squished his abdomen before I finally got a direct hit and really pressed down.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Etymology is the study of word origins. You want entomologists. And it's hard to ID without a picture, but if you want a good resource to browse through, there's always www.bugguide.net (which I help run!).

Delzhand on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is this what you saw?

W0Q0200070FRYKURRQURYKBRLQFQJKVRI0URSQH0XQFRRQDQX0TQJKBR7QOR20CQI0VRLQVRFKDRXQ3RHQTQ80K020.jpg

Don't fucking let it near you if it is.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Could have been a queen and the writhing things were larva that hadn't been born yet? I don't think those generally venture out of the nest, though. Probably more likely that it was an ant that was swollen with parasites. either way - eww.

edit: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080116142805.htm ?

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Etymology is the study of word origins. You want entomologists. And it's hard to ID without a picture, but if you want a good resource to browse through, there's always www.bugguide.net (which I help run!).

My bad! Thanks for the linkage.

@Vagrant

No it was not furry like that. It had a more traditional chitinous exterior. And I didn't even think of the parasite angle, but now that it's mentioned that... thing in it's abdomen could have been a parasitic worm. And that would explain why the abdomen was so insanely large compared to the rest of the body, as well as what the ant was doing in the garage (there's nothing in that garage for an ant, no food, no water, and we normally don't get them in there).

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    genejockygenejocky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sounds like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutillidae. Actually is a wingless wasp.

genejocky on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In a few species the male is so much larger than the female that he carries her aloft while mating, which is also seen in the related family Tiphiidae.

:winky:

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh man, those cow killers. You don't know fear as an 8 year old until you see one of those scurrying towards you. They're like 2 inches long and will not die, even when cut in half. The two halves just use flanking maneuvers.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    genejocky wrote: »
    Sounds like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutillidae. Actually is a wingless wasp.

This is the first thing I thought of on seeing the thread title. Mutillidate (AKA velvet ants) come in quite a few varieties, not all of which are velvety-looking. Example:

Mutillidae_22.jpg

I dunno about the huge abdomen though. A queen ant with eggs wouldn't typically go out for a walk, and the parasite thing sounds odd for your area (though I'm not an entomologist).

That bug guide website kicks ass, Delzhand.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've seen red carpenter ants that match that descritpion.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is this what you saw?

W0Q0200070FRYKURRQURYKBRLQFQJKVRI0URSQH0XQFRRQDQX0TQJKBR7QOR20CQI0VRLQVRFKDRXQ3RHQTQ80K020.jpg

Don't fucking let it near you if it is.

that's a nasty lookin fucker...

I stayed overnight at a motel in Yuma, AZ years ago while visiting some buddies on base there, went outside barefoot to go get a can of Coke and felt something crawling on my foot. Looked down and it was a decent sized black ant... the lil fucker bit me so naturally I killed it.

Next morning, there was a HUGE welt/bite mark on the top of my foot and it itched like crazy! Far worse than any mosquito bite I've ever had and the itching was relentless. Needless to say I've NEVER gone outside barefoot when in any buttfuck egypt-type town ever again.

krush on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hmm...Doesn't say where this thing lives, but maybe the odorous house ant?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapinoma_sessile

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You can't post an ant picture, say, "Sweet god don't go near this" and then not say what it is!

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    OP, I'd call a bug control expert if you're that concerned about it. They might be able to tell you what it is, and then they might be able to find the nest of them that is likely somewhere on your property and rain hot chemical death upon thier miserable little selves. Not to mention if you think they were infected with some kind of parasite, there's a chance you could have it.

...damn, I gotta stop watching "Monsters Within". That shit is goddamn SCARY because it's TRUE.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    You can't post an ant picture, say, "Sweet god don't go near this" and then not say what it is!

It's a wingless wasp that's known for something like the 3rd or 4th most painful sting in the insect world. And they're common around the southern US.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    OP, I'd call a bug control expert if you're that concerned about it. They might be able to tell you what it is, and then they might be able to find the nest of them that is likely somewhere on your property and rain hot chemical death upon thier miserable little selves. Not to mention if you think they were infected with some kind of parasite, there's a chance you could have it.

...damn, I gotta stop watching "Monsters Within". That shit is goddamn SCARY because it's TRUE.

Odds that I am infected with the same parasite that infected an ant in my garage are low, to say the least. We are having the guy come out to spray fairly soon anyway. It's just around the house though. My parents property is largish and there's really no getting away from nature.

Regina Fong on