As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rock of Ages IS OUT and awesome: Monty Python + Marble Madness by Zeno Clash Devs

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
Remember Zeno Clash? It's cool if you don't. This game has nothing to do with it, but it's from the same developers (like 4 dudes in Chile, I think).

What is this game? Rock of Ages

Debut Trailer
Here's a link to the trailer in HD.

The goal in Rock of Ages is to roll a rock down a hill and destroy the enemy's armies and castle. Alternatively it is to protect your own castle from the rock. There will be multiplayer where one dude gets the rock and the other guy defends the castle, and then they swap places.

And there are different stages/areas that each match up with a different historic art style, along with distinctive music for each stage.

And that's literally all we know! But I'm pumped because Zeno Clash was amazing and innovative, this looks amazing and innovative, and it's a game about rolling a rock down a hill to smash things while learning art history.

Here's Atlus' little preview picture:

rockofages_faithful_announcement_top_1.jpg
rockofages_faithful_announcement_top_2.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This looks like a pretty fun twist on tower defence. If the price is right and enough people on Steam get this for multiplayer than I'd probably bite.

Of course, what I'd really like is a Deus Ex style FPA set in the Zeno Clash world.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The developers alone have me interested for now, provided the same madness is on display.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    The developers alone have me interested for now, provided the same madness is on display.

I think using elephants to defend against a giant rock with a face that's trying to smash your Renaissance art-inspired castle is the least crazy thing you'll do in the game, so...

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am really starting to like these guys.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Points for trying, residual points for making Zeno Clash, but no.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Kotaku has a new teaser trailer. Pretty sure I'm going to have to buy this immediately when it comes out. Looks stupendous.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This game looks fantastic visually. Not surprising after the work these guys did in Zeno Clash.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This all looks interesting, I just don't see any gameplay that can hold my attention more than 15 mins.

Hoz on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I hate tower defense, but I want to at least give this a go. I just wish you were the one doing all the rolling.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I hate tower defense, but I want to at least give this a go. I just wish you were the one doing all the rolling.

Not sure what you mean. You do get to do the rolling.

Multiplayer isn't turn-based; it's happening simultaneously. Basically, the hill-path is symmetrical with a castle on either side. You can spend however long you want setting up defenses, but when it comes time to attack, you have to take direct control of your boulder and roll it down the obstacle course that your opponent's set up.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm saying I'm not really interested in the defense part. Also it says right there that you take turns.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Interview with the developers is up at RPS. Random quote:
    RPS: Why is the boulder smiling?

Bordeu: Why not if it’s having so much fun! :) The boulder from the trailer is smiling, but we’ll also have some angry boulders to pick from! And if any of the boulders take too much damage and too many pieces chip off you’ll find yourself with new expressions below the crust.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    New trailer showing off powerups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qteGYqleqyQ&hd=1

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Looks amazing. I only wish rolling and tower defense could be implemented at the same time. More insanity needed.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Rock of Ages now has a website.

Information I've gleaned:

It has single player, multiplayer, and split-screen multiplayer. Game modes include guy rolling a ball vs. guy defending from the ball, skeeball (basically what it sounds like), and time trial, where you race your boulder against another guy's boulder.

Five ages: Ancient Greek art, Medieval art, Renaissance, Rococo, and Romanticism. All of them look pretty sweet.

Defenses you can purchase to try to delay the boulder include animals, exploding things, turrets, flying machines, and towers.

Release date: Spring 2011.

I'm pumped.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is one of those games that I will introduce to skeptical or reluctant friends with very good results.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Antithesis wrote: »
    This is one of those games that I will hurl a rock into my friend's face.

Fixed.
    Actually I broke the grammar. But it's for comedic effect!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    New trailer (Rolling Through the Ages)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ugwh-Q8rM

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    I sort of forgot about this because a bunch of stuff (Red Orchestra 2, Deus Ex 3, Battlefield 3) is on the horizon, but Rock of Ages is up on Steam, it's $8.99 to preorder, and it comes out August 31.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Well the price seems right, could be a lot of fun for a few weeks at least.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Oh hey.

I didn't think this would be a PSN download too for some reason.

Groovy.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    They better have Def Leppard performing the main theme for this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncjcjpQzceQ

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Bout time it comes out!

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Guess what? It's out!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote:
    Guess what? It's out!

And it's pretty great! I've played through the third boss battle, and I can definitely believe that this was done by the Zeno Clash guys. So weird. So good.

• Options
    I'd love nothing other than to play this but I've spent way too much money on videogames in the past few months (close to $50, plus I have Battlefield 3 coming up).

Yes I'm a cheapskate :p Definitely gonna pick this up during a Steam sale at some point though. Zeno Clash is beautiful in ways that words can't describe and this looks like a worth successor even though the two share little but their quirkiness in common.

• Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    This game is amazing. Playing Local Multiplayer has been some of the most fun I've had in a while. Hours gone.

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    This game looks too good to pass up. More games to buy!

• Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    I've only played the demo, but I'm definitely going to pick this up in the next couple of weeks. It's a rare feat when a non-Japanese dev gets "weird" right. The art design is pretty fucking outstanding too.

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Here's the giantbomb quick look, it's what sold me on the game, loving it so far.

• Options
    Riiiise up, roll around,
    Knock this castle to the ground!

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    its not out on pc right? steam says not yet released D=

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    It's out on pc on the 7th.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Want this so bad

But I want it on PC :(

• Options
    1875679-trollface_1__super.jpg

• Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    1875679-trollface_1__super.jpg

You got me.

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    I really like the concept of this game, but in execution it misses something vital.

Because you're always trying to hurry up your building and roll your next ball, you never really get to interact with your defenses in any meaningful way. So unless you're playing split screen multi, you have almost no way of learning what is working and what isn't. The little camera in the corner is nice, but it's hard to give it any attention while you're trying to do your own damage.

So I build a buncha stuff and then I roll down the hill, over and over. Building upgrades are pretty meaningless to me, since I never really see them. Yes, you can pick up on effective defenses by watching what your opponent is doing to you, but I still think that there needs to be a better way to do this, especially since simultaneous rolling doesn't seem to really matter all that much.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    You learn what is and isn't effective in a round-a-bout way by what is effective against you. And emulate.

Generally blocking off shortcuts and creating choke points where you can be fairly sure that you'll knock off their rock at least once per go is ideal. Outside of that forcing the rock into situations where you make it choose between avoiding your stuff and slamming into rocks and whatnot reducing its size making it do less damage to you. One off things that you know will buy you time like explosives and stuff are good for throwing down if you're in a rush and just need to buy time, but they can't be relied upon for multiple runs like towers and ballista can. Plus, you don't HAVE to go the second your rock is ready. You can take a bit more time to properly set up your stuff. I think they wisely limit how much resources you get each round because it forces a limit on how much time you ever need to spend a any given time on setting things up.

There's really a good factor of Tower Defense hidden in there in how you set up your defenses.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Steam preordered. Gotta support ACE Team after Zeno Clash.