As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Perfect Dark - Everyone is Sean Connery - Every sound in the game released!

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    PD's population graph, based from raptr.com:

pdlast7days.png

I've been getting counter op games within 5-10 seconds of searching. Near before Reach I could sit in there for hours while programming and never get a match. Perhaps they should just set 400msp as the permanent price?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ya, last night we got curb stomped hard by one of the challenges there. Damn those little mayian alien jerks.

Although hold the briefcase against those labsims with devastators is frustrating yet.. amusing too.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    InigoInigo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Holy crap I LOVED this game on n64 when I was a kid!

Inigo on
    notbad4puppies2copy.jpg
  • Options
    dexterdexter Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This should make up for that horrendous wii goldeneye remake.

dexter on
    3694663-1.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What remake? This came out before the new Goldeneye was announced.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    dexterdexter Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well now that I know about it, I'm less bitter about the goldeneye wii.

dexter on
    3694663-1.png
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ya, last night we got curb stomped hard by one of the challenges there. Damn those little mayian alien jerks.

Although hold the briefcase against those labsims with devastators is frustrating yet.. amusing too.

The trick to the Maian king of the hill challenge (Challenge 18) is the tranquilizer. There is one tranquilizer located on the map, in a small room with a ramp. Grab that and the cloak near the center of the map. While cloaked, go find a maian and shoot him full of tranqs. He'll start spinning.

Don't kill him! Tranquilize him until he's basically spinning in place and then move on to the next Maian. Tranquilizer wears off much faster once killed, but they will stay largely out of your way once you get them good. Then run around grabbing the hills and add a few tranq shots every time you pass them.

Attempting to kill them in combat, even if you get only one at a time, is infinitely harder then making them sit the whole match out.

You'll have it in no time.

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Jesus fuck I finally beat Maian SOS on Perfect.

All I have left now is WAR!.

Also, I beat your Special Agent time for Defection, Endaro :P

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Fuck War! on Perfect Agent and fuck the Three Kings achievement which requires you to do it on Perfect in around 60 seconds, they took me forever.

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Holy shit fuck shit fuck I FINALLY BEAT WAR! ON PERFECT AGENT

PERFECT AGENT IS COMPLETE
    Yes, I know, that stupid crown..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    PD's population graph, based from raptr.com:

pdlast7days.png

I've been getting counter op games within 5-10 seconds of searching. Near before Reach I could sit in there for hours while programming and never get a match. Perhaps they should just set 400msp as the permanent price?

Holy carp, you mean people are actually playing this online again? I gave up hope for sustained Live play on this a long time ago; do you know if people are playing the regular multiplayer gametypes? I've never been able to play a "hardcore" type match since the game was patched all those months ago.

I guess I should get back to my Perfect Agent run; the second A51 mission became something of an irritating stumbling block for me a little while back and I haven't touched the game since.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Holy shit fuck shit fuck I FINALLY BEAT WAR! ON PERFECT AGENT

PERFECT AGENT IS COMPLETE
    Yes, I know, that stupid crown..

You only have to beat it over and over again until you get record time!
    I can give you a tip if you need one.

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Is it possible to have 8 simulants still?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah. They still cheat too if you ramp up their difficulty.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You have to unlock the extra slots by playing challenges though, so you only have 4 at first.

They also work online, and they also are like.. better than the N64 counterparts. Normalsims are pieces of cake on N64, on 360 they're like playing Hardsims. I have a feeling this might be due to them being able to 'think' twice as fast since the game is running at 60hz instead of 30hz

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We need to play this again, soon.

Proximity pinball party!

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    We need to play this again, soon.

Proximity pinball party!

And N-Bombs!

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I tried to play this online and basically I would walk around looking for a gun for a bit before someone would race by me and kill me as they went. I don't get this game at all.

Is there a PA tag with people who play this regularly to setup matches with? Maybe some overlap with the Reach metatag?

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    There was a metatag but whoever was in charge of it stopped updating it even while we were heavily active.

Me (FyreWulff Rex) and Ratsult (RatSult2) still play this game regularly. I suggest playing through the entire campaign or as far as you want to go, then play the challenges to get familiar with the maps and the weapon locations.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't play this regularly but I'm always up for perfect dark.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I could pop in tonight too. I've only got Kinect for voice chat though so you'll just hear a slight mumble or me yelling for chocolate milk.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Whenever I search for a game, it never finds me anyone to play with :(

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Search during peak times. Also, PD did pretty well in sales, from the Major Nelson website:

Top Arcade Titles of 2010 (Based on full versions purchased during the first week of release)
    1 Dead Rising 2: Case Zero
    2 LIMBO
    3 Perfect Dark
    4 Toy Soldiers
    5 Monday Night Combat
    6 Deadliest Warrior
    7 Dead Rising 2: Case West
    8 X-Men Arcade
    9 Castlevania Harmony of Despair
    10 Plants vs Zombies
    11 Scott Pilgrim
    12 Sonic 4 Episode 1
    13 Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
    14 Blacklight: Tango Down
    15 Hydro Thunder Hurricane
    16 RISK Factions
    17 Super Meat Boy
    18 World of Keflings

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    These challenges are infurating. Like old times.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    These challenges are making me want to rape babies. Like old times.

nick your always welcome to play with us. And yes. The challenges can be quite infuriating. 16 can seriously go die in a fire and then explode.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Interesting choice of map to recreate.

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's my favorite map, and one of the few Perfect Dark maps that is both able to be made 1:1 within the budget and two, plays well within the Reach context, ie doesn't rely too much on doors ladders and elevators.

Also I should mention that the KotH layout is exactly the same as the original map.

edit: also, tons of people have already remade Facility. Searching for Area 52 remakes turned up no results, and the rest is history..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    PDXBLA is 400msp again. You have no excuse if you pass it up now.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    PDXBLA is 400msp again. You have no excuse if you pass it up now.

You beat it yet? Crowns and all?

Endaro on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You have to unlock the extra slots by playing challenges though, so you only have 4 at first.

They also work online, and they also are like.. better than the N64 counterparts. Normalsims are pieces of cake on N64, on 360 they're like playing Hardsims. I have a feeling this might be due to them being able to 'think' twice as fast since the game is running at 60hz instead of 30hz

Nah, they do the exact same shit as they did on the N64, falling for the exact same traps. Their reaction time is exactly the same for all difficulties, meaning you should be able to outshoot anything up to and including a Hardsim in a fair fight.

They even included the ridiculous geometry class style grenade launcher routine and their inability to do anything productive with the shotgun.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Still don't have all the crowns, me and Ratsult were too busy racing each other through the levels for leaderboard position. I still need to sit down and get all the crowns for that last achievement.

I ain't in no super rush to get it done though, since most people are just glitching the leaderboards anyway.

I wish the online lobby system had been better for this game - it's probably got the highest ration of sales:people_not_playing_online I've ever seen.

XoB- everyone that played the game a shitton with me agrees that the bots are one tier harder per difficulty than the N64 version. I went directly from playing/streaming the N64 version and beating Normalsims with my eyes closed to having to play PDXBLA with them set to easy so I could actually win some matches. I think it's just due to a faster decision loop, myself.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Necrobump!

The site is being thrashed, but it seems Unseen64 has gotten ahold of more Perfect Dark Zero beta material.

First up:

5833652256_9433061acd_z.jpg

1) Yes, that's default Legacy.
    2) The screenshot is from 2004. Features a GameCube controller. Keep in mind that Microsoft had bought Rare two years earlier. Nobody could be arsed in two years to update the controller config HUD.

And now a shot from what I assume is multiplayer on the OXbox:

5833651872_fa3b99ca2f_z.jpg

The original mode select:

5833651640_a3f390ca21_z.jpg

Note that the "LIVE!" button seems like they were going to have a hot button just like Halo 2 to view friends, etc from anywhere in the menus.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Still don't have all the crowns, me and Ratsult were too busy racing each other through the levels for leaderboard position. I still need to sit down and get all the crowns for that last achievement.

I ain't in no super rush to get it done though, since most people are just glitching the leaderboards anyway.

I wish the online lobby system had been better for this game - it's probably got the highest ration of sales:people_not_playing_online I've ever seen.

XoB- everyone that played the game a shitton with me agrees that the bots are one tier harder per difficulty than the N64 version. I went directly from playing/streaming the N64 version and beating Normalsims with my eyes closed to having to play PDXBLA with them set to easy so I could actually win some matches. I think it's just due to a faster decision loop, myself.

Challenge 16. The bot would run out of ammo trying to shoot me through the wall, disappear for like a second and come back in another second. Eventually I beat that challenge.

Since I swapped boxes, I'm not looking forward to doing that one again :(

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been itching to play this again lately but am assuming the online community is pretty much dried up. Am I, and I'm assuming FyreWulff, the only one interested in setting up a weekly "play night" for this? I'm thinking an all-encompassing kind of night where people get together and then decide what to play instead of a strict "multi only" or "challenges only" kind of thing.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm pretty sure Ratsult and Viscount would be interested in playing for a weekly PD Night. I think we tried that before but it didn't get out of the planning stages.

Might want to wait until after July 4th for the first night though. People are probably already getting ready to travel or have left by now.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would totally help with that. I bought this game months ago and haven't played a lot so far.

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yes. I'm totally up for a weekly perfect dark night. Although I work evenings, I'll attend as much as I can.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Point taken about July 4th. How about trying to have the first one Saturday, July 9th at 8pm ET?

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I, like many, got totally swept up in the Steam sale and completely forgot about this until later in the night. Did people meet up? Do people want to try again this weekend (16th) at the same time?

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png