As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mortal Kombat 9] Bio's and Endings ALL LEAKED. Some really cool stuff on page 94!

WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
NEW THREAD UP AND RUNNING

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=138655

[IMG]http://t0.gstatic.com /images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQMruTm6mFTFxqn1j9qWAVqQhRuWgWHEEaHsAXpJhGXSnCZkMf[/IMG]

Your MOM hates Mortal Kombat 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz_vrbUCCvg&feature=related

Lol, I know what your thinking! Either "EWWWWWW" or "That is AWESOME" or maybe both.

Welcome to...

Mortal Kombat

Recently shown for the first time at E3, the next step in the MK franchise is actually a step backwards (which may actually be a step in the right direction.)

Mortal Kombat 9 will return to it's roots gameplay wise, most prevalent being a return to a 2D plane of movement, ala, the SF series. Combo's among other small gameplay features will be more similar to MK 1-3 then the more recent games. Although make NO MISTAKE, many cool new features will be added!

Kool new features (see what I did there? I replaced C with K!)

- A tag team mode. This will be very similar to say, Capcom vs Marvel 2. You switch out with your partners with an easy button press and can even call on them to preform quick attacks.

- X-Ray moves. It is very hard to describe this in words and do it any sort of real justice. There will be a bar at the bottom of the screen. Like many other fighters this bar will fill up as you dish out or receive damage. This bar will allow you to pull off moves like combo breakers, or X-Ray moves. Think of the X-Ray move as MK's version of SFIV's Ultra moves. It's a very cinematic and highly damaging move. Each character has their own unique over the top move. When the character attacks, the camera will zoom into an X-ray close up of a characters insides and show in GREAT detail the shattering of their bones and organs. It looks amazing, so amazing that I find it hard to believe they could ever get old. Just one of these look cooler then any fatality MK has delivered to date... and these aren't even the fatalitys!

- The blood, guts, and bones are LITERALLY there. The character models have their organs, bones, ect all modeled INSIDE of them. This will allow for some very detailed and ultra realistic violence. And get this... everyone has realistically different organs and organ mapping. Icky.

- Heavy DLC support. Yes, yes, yes. We were promised MK vs DC DLC, but midway's collapse put an end to those promises, you can't blame the MK team for not being able to follow through. Shit happens. But now, they are dead set on developing nice amounts of DLC, so much so a DLC option is seen on the character select screen. Boon has said every aspect of the game is built so they can incorporate DLC into it. New levels, new fatalities, new costumes, and even new characters are planned.

-Visible ingame damage. You gotta see the videos to see how beat up our characters get in a fight. When all is said and done, characters look like a gory beaten mess after a fight. It really looks both awesome and disturbingly realistic.

Kharacters

According to Boon, the team is aiming at about 26 some characters. He has claimed if you have a favorite from MK 1-3 you will most likley see them. So far almost all are confirmed...

1. Sub-Zero (duh)
2. Scorpion (duh)
3. Reptile
4. Sektor
5. Mileena
6. Nigh Wolf
7. Johnny Cage (dammit)
8. Kung Lao
9. Cyrax
10. Ermac
11. Jade
12. Jax
13. Kitana
14. Liu Kang
15. Sindel
16. Sonya Blade
17. Stryker (they pulled a vagina cell on that one)
18. Baraka
19. Kano
20. Raiden
21. Shang Tsung
22. Shao Khan
23. Goro
24. Kratos (PS3 only)
25. A Gears of War Character (360 only)

Although the game will focus on characters from MK 1-3 we know, at the very least, characters from MK games onwards will make cameo appearances. Kira and Li Mei are seen tied up in the background of the Arena. Kenshi is shown fighting off both Daegon and Reiko in the background of Pit 2 stage. I'm certain we will see others.

Here are some kideos!

Under Konstruction for a bit... hopefully these will tide you off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLDVRoTIfKs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIRSoIaIbfE

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
Wishpig on

• TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    it looks so much like 2

even down to the awkward animations

TyrantCow on
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    it looks so much like 2

even down to the awkward animations

I dunno, MK animations are hard to explain. I always think they look so wonky when watching videos. But when I play the games they feel so right. Thats just me though.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MK2 was the best one. You can debate that, but you would be wrong. :P

Going in its direction is more than alright with me.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    no, i'm saying it looks like it plays like 2, which is awesome

i dropped so many hours in front of that game with friends, move lists out, furiously trying to do fatalities.

my favorite of the series, too

still looks funny, though :P

TyrantCow on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The combo system looks like it'll be pretty fun.

Kyougu on
  • LuthonLuthon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man god help us if Noob saibot is in this game.

Luthon on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Comeon Stryker...

(Awesome backwards cap dude, not lame Armageddon guy)

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All I want is Shang Tsung regaining his shapeshifting powers.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    edited June 2010
    All I want is Shang Tsung regaining his shapeshifting powers.

Did he not have that in the 3D ones? I mean obviously not in Armageddon but what about the others? Mortal Kombat didn't bring a ton of unique things to the fighting game formula, but I considered a shape shifter and moves that make it so your opponent can't move the two big ones.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Once the games went to the CD/DVD format, Shang lost the ability. The PS1 version of MK Trilogy had a shifter Shang, but there was a load time whenever you changed.

They should just dump a data file with all the character's models and data onto the system's harddrive. Or some other way to make it work.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What're the four-armed girl's special moves again? Fireball and grab? Or is that Goro's?

Wearingglasses on
    edited June 2010
    What're the four-armed girl's special moves again? Fireball and grab? Or is that Goro's?

Those plus tele-stomp I believe. At least I think she had a grab, but I'm not 100% on that.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fuck I love Kung Lao. My favorite character, and look at that, a kickass fatality.

Yum!

BRING IT BITCHES. KUNG LAO ERRDAY

4rch3nemy on
    edited June 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Fuck I love Kung Lao. My favorite character, and look at that, a kickass fatality.

Yum!

TWO kickass fatalities! His hat is just so ridiculously bad ass.

Now I'm just hoping his master (Bo' Rai Cho) is in the game. If any character from the newer games were to make it in, it would be Bo' Rai (well, after Kenshi, Kenshi is just fuckin awesome)... he's an incredibly big player in the lore of the games.

Wishpig on

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The only character I ever liked in this series was Rain, because I'm a cheap bastard.

Oh, the cyborgs were pretty cool too.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I watched the videos, but I didn't throw up. I demand my money back.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Still has that really stiff animation quality. It's very nice to look at, but I have to wonder how awkward it plays. MK Shaolin Monks was probably the smoothest flowing one in the series that I recall playing.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • spiderj24spiderj24 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I haven't played a Mortal Kombat since they went 3D but this actually looks like good times. Love how the xray attacks crack skulls and break spines yet they're not fatalities. When your skull cracks like an egg, it's really time to die. Things can only get worse.

Does anyone remember a beat 'em up on the original X-Box in which characters could break their opponent's limbs? I never played it, because it looked absolutely terrible, but I remember the feature seeming hilarious because I think broken arms just hung loosely for the rest of the fight.

If it helps, I think it was released near the beginning of the console's life.

spiderj24 on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Look, I like that I see Sektor, but I'm really missing Cyrax.

Docshifty on
  • RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This looks promising. I've always favored games that were more accessible, like soul calibur, though. Sometimes I just feel like button mashing.

Rivulent on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    spiderj24 wrote: »
    I haven't played a Mortal Kombat since they went 3D but this actually looks like good times. Love how the xray attacks crack skulls and break spines yet they're not fatalities. When your skull cracks like an egg, it's really time to die. Things can only get worse.

Does anyone remember a beat 'em up on the original X-Box in which characters could break their opponent's limbs? I never played it, because it looked absolutely terrible, but I remember the feature seeming hilarious because I think broken arms just hung loosely for the rest of the fight.

Tao Feng?

Couscous on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Tao Feng?

Yeah, has to be. I never played it but I remember the box from when I worked at GameStop. Sounded terrible. How was it?

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • MauzerKARMauzerKAR Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    Yikes, absolutely brutal looking. Cannot wait to button mash the fuck out my controller again with this and MVC3.

MauzerKAR on
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Kakuto Chojin.

Or... something like that. I think it was recalled for having some Muslim. prayer repeating in the background of one of the arenas.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Very glad the fatalities are so brutal. Wish they were that brutal in Mortal Kombat vs. DC.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They should have scheduled that fight at a different time.

Docshifty on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kakuto Chojin.

Or... something like that. I think it was recalled for having some Muslim. prayer repeating in the background of one of the arenas.
    I actually remember that fuck up.
    It was pulled off the shelves in early 2003 for offensive religious content, namely that it had verses from the Quran being chanted as part of the background sound effects the song "Love/Hate Chant", which serves as theme song for the character Asad (a Muslim himself), is an example of this controversy. To date there has not been any evidence that Kakuto Chojin was re-released. The initial intent may have been to reissue the game without the chant but it did not sell well before being pulled and Microsoft presumably decided based on that fact to withdraw it permanently as a reissue would not have been profitable. In fact, Kakuto Chojin is not found on any official game list published by Microsoft further suggesting that there was no reissue and Microsoft has decided to erase the game from its records.
    It is an ungame.

Couscous on
  • spiderj24spiderj24 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Tao Feng?

That's the one! I worked in Game when it came out and that's probably the only reason I've ever heard of it.

To move back on topic slightly, it was actually created by John Tobias after he left Midway.

Kakuto Chojin was an interesting find though and looks very similar. Despite the fact that it was indeed eradicated from existence, copies are seemingly available on ebay for $3. Also worth nothing, both games have men with tattooed heads on their box art. And that's got to be worth something.

spiderj24 on
    edited June 2010

Sub-Zero actually has a xray attack where he jams his fist inside of your gut, grabs your liver, freezes it, rips it out... then breaks your skull or somethin.

And Scorpion still wins and chops Sub-Zero's skull in two.

I really enjoyed the 3D games, mainly Deception and Armageddon. Great fun. Certainly not amazing games, but definitely deserving of their 8/10 average. The game looks very akward and jerky in videos, but oddly doesn't feel that way when you play it.

Some very cool and clever stages.

Like my favorite fighting game stage of all time, Yin Yang island!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPPc05CRFzI&feature=related

Wishpig on

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's the best Scorpion design they've done and the fightin' looks bloody and brutal as it should be, so I have my hopes up.

Sektor also looks nice. He was always my favourite cyborg. Black and red is a nice color scheme.

reVerse on
    edited June 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »

Yum!

Now I'm just hoping his master (Bo' Rai Cho) is in the game. If any character from the newer games were to make it in, it would be Bo' Rai (well, after Kenshi, Kenshi is just fuckin awesome)... he's an incredibly big player in the lore of the games.

I'm going to become your enemy here and say Bo' Rai Cho was the worst design of the 3D mortal kombats. Yes, worse than vampire lady. Worse than Chinese guy with the cyborg chest. Worse than MK4 parachute pants Reptile. If anyone should never ever come back it should be him.

Kenshi on the other hand was probably their high point. I would take him back.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You could attack by puking with bo rai cho.

He's okay.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hang on, Johnny Cage looks slightly.. Undead in the combo trailer.
    Is he a zombie now? :?

Rizzi on
    edited June 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »

Yum!

I'm going to become your enemy here and say Bo' Rai Cho was the worst design of the 3D mortal kombats. Yes, worse than vampire lady. Worse than Chinese guy with the cyborg chest. Worse than MK4 parachute pants Reptile. If anyone should never ever come back it should be him.

Ouch :( worse then Chinese guy with the cyborg chest, thats a low blow!

But ya, I'll admit, he's a very love or hate kind of character. Not many are in-between with him... but almost every fat character in a fighter is the same way. Take Rufus (SFIV) and Bob (Tekken) for example. Throw in the fact many people are to high and mighty for a fart joke, and no surprise there are haters.

But bottom line, at least Bo' Rai inspired strong feelings from the fan base, whether love or hate. The vast majority of 3D MK characters just inspired, well, nothing.

Let me ask you this. Take away the fart jokes, and throwing up, how would you feel about him? Expert trainer, friendly honorable personality, sole rival of Baraka, and highly efficient tactical general...

Regardless, I think he has the best chance out of all the 3D characters of returning, now that Kenshi has been shown merely in a background. MK team loves him and he fits a very vital role in the story.

Wishpig on

• IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Kenshi was my main in Deadly Alliance. I never thought anyone could replace Kung Lao in my heart until he came along. :D

IdolNinja on
    edited June 2010
    Let me ask you this. Take away the fart jokes, and throwing up, how would you feel about him? Expert trainer, friendly honorable personality, and highly efficient tactical general...

I would feel better about him if they took those away. He'd probably raise from pretty hated to the same "meh" a lot of the other characters get.

But still he's a drunken fist character, and that just doesn't work with MK as it is. It's a rather flowing style which just looks super awkward in MK's stiff looking fighting. See DOA for in my opinion the best done drunken fist style character. Note it's also the only thing I'll ever give DOA credit for doing well.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Shun Di and Chin > Brad wong.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited June 2010
    You just have an old people fetish.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
    edited June 2010
    Let me ask you this. Take away the fart jokes, and throwing up, how would you feel about him? Expert trainer, friendly honorable personality, and highly efficient tactical general...

I would feel better about him if they took those away. He'd probably raise from pretty hated to the same "meh" a lot of the other characters get.

But still he's a drunken fist character, and that just doesn't work with MK as it is. It's a rather flowing style which just looks super awkward in MK's stiff looking fighting. See DOA for in my opinion the best done drunken fist style character. Note it's also the only thing I'll ever give DOA credit for doing well.

Oh man, I'm with you with the DOA point. That drunken guy (and the pretty stages) were the only thing I really liked.

I was a big fan of Reptile, until they got into the habit of making him look stupider and stupider with each game. AND GODDAMMIT! They did it again! I think everything looks great EXCEPT reptile who looks totally out of place. He looked awesome in the Monks game, why the fuck can't they stick with that?

Bo' Rai Cho got me back into loving MK, he offered a very much needed break from Ninja, Ninja, Ninja, Robot, Ninja, Ninja, Robot, one of the LAME characters that remind me of the shitty cartoon MK, Ninja. You get it.

Wishpig on

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kharacters

According to Boon, the team is aiming at about 26 some characters. He has claimed if you have a favorite from MK 1-3 you will most likley see them. So far only 8 are confirmed...

1. Sub-Zero (duh)
    2. Scorpion (duh)
    3. Reptile
    4. Sektor
    5. Mileena
    6. Nigh Wolf
    7. Johnny Cage (dammit)
    8. Kung Lao
    Tsk. No Sonja?

Worst Mortal Kombat since 2. :P

WotanAnubis on