As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Difficult is Fun: Gothic

• Samm1chSamm1ch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Waffen wrote: »
    I bought this recently only to discover that Nvidia Cards have a driver issue with Gothic 2 so I can't play it until they fix it. (Which apparently its been going seven plus months already)

Have you tried the workaround from the Steam forum?

Download the second linked file first. Backup your gothic2.exe and install the modified version from the download. Then download the first linked file and install that. You can then restore the original exe if you like. The installers for both files are in German, but they're just basic Windows install dialogues.

I wasn't able to download the first listed file from the linked site. If you have the same problem, tacc posted an alternate link on page 2 of the thread.

Samm1ch on
    steam_sig.png
  • TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love gothic 2 and risen. Still haven't played the third one yet though.

Tanolen on
  • Sorcha RavenlockSorcha Ravenlock Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    I've gone over that whole section of land. I don't know if I managed to spook it and sent it past the orcs without realizing it or not.

You may have. The deer scatter and keep fleeing from you every time they see you, even if you don't see them it seems.

If you take out your bow or a spell the names of enemies show up earlier then with a melee weapon, making it easier to find the deer.
    Else you might have to reload, or simply give up on learning from this dude. There are more hunter trainers out there, and I'm not sure if he teaches anything unique.

Sorcha Ravenlock on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright, I'm not one to let unfinished quests beat me that easily, so I went out looking for that deer. First I killed every deer between Ardea and Jack's tower, thinking it may've gone and mingled in with them. No dice. Then, I went and killed about half a dozen of those orcs camped out in front of Vengard and checked along the coastline. Nothing. Then I killed a dozen more orcs and ran through the larger camps, seeing if it was in there.

That deer is solid gone. I doubt I'll ever see that thing again.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I decided to pick up Risen after enjoying the demo. Can I multi class or am I going to be shoehorned into an archetype? Ie, can I focus in sword + shield as well as dabble in magic? Or are the classes all or nothing?

pantsy on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I bought Gothic 3 in the Steam sale.

Man, that battle at the start of the game is brutal. I got knocked down several times before I had even found out how to draw my sword. Once I drew it it got knocked out of my hand, so I got my bow out which I promptly lost as well. :D
    I ran out of town, only to be knocked down by a weird bird type thing.
    Then I got a message saying that we won the fight with the orcs (obviously not thanks to me). So that went well. :D

I pictured this happening in my head and it gave me a good chuckle.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    pantsy wrote: »
    So I decided to pick up Risen after enjoying the demo. Can I multi class or am I going to be shoehorned into an archetype? Ie, can I focus in sword + shield as well as dabble in magic? Or are the classes all or nothing?

I managed as a bit of a hybrid. I had enough melee skill to get by the early stages, and saved some points up for magic. I ended up doing mostly magic, as the fire spell was totally awesome. If you don't go for rune magic, you should have plenty for both. All (or most at least) rune magic is available on scrolls, so it's not a huge loss. They're mostly utility spells that you use infrequently.

captaink on
    edited July 2010
    I started playing Gothic last night.

I wish I could slap whoever thought that Ctrl+Up/W was a good choice for 'Use'. It is the stupidest thing.

captaink on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I loved Risen, mainly because it played almost exactly like Gothic. It also had the same difficulty curve (ie, until you get trained in your chosen "class" you're a walking target).
    The console version was terrible though; the controls don't map well to gamepads and the graphics were dialed way down to keep the framerate up.

Glal on
    edited July 2010
    Awesome, I can't go anywhere near Bloodwyn in the Old Camp because he locks me in a conversation loop, asking for protection money.

captaink on
    edited July 2010
    The beginning of Gothic is sooooo tedious.

captaink on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    I like it, since it really makes you work for your survival. You aren't the biggest, baddest bruiser in the pile, you are among the bottomdwellers and all the big dudes are either beating the shit out of you or shaking you down for cash. It sure makes you feel great when you slowly grow stronger and return the favour to all those assholes who gave you a hard time in the beginning.

Silpheed on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Silpheed wrote: »
    I like it, since it really makes you work for your survival. You aren't the biggest, baddest bruiser in the pile, you are among the bottomdwellers and all the big dudes are either beating the shit out of you or shaking you down for cash. It sure makes you feel great when you slowly grow stronger and return the favour to all those assholes who gave you a hard time in the beginning.

Yeah I loved the fresh fish feeling and being scared to drop the soap.

The once you become the big man in prison you can return all the rape.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I bought Gothic on GOG but gave up after not being able to control my character. There's more to it I'm sure but it put me right off.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So how much Sex and Drugs was in Risen anyway? Since I can't buy it in this country because it was banned for that reason.

-SPI- on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Um. People smoke opiates? That's all I remember. Can't think of any sex. Mildly amused that hacking people up is okay, but smoking joints is HOLY SHIT BAN.

Glal on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I seem to recall that you can buy the services of a prostitute but it's the standard fade to black when it's time to do the deed.

Silpheed on
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There is also a "Weed" herb all over the island which you can pick-up and bring to a local brewer, who'll turn it into joints and beer for you.

There is also some water-bong thingie you see a bunch and can use in the main village.

Thats pretty much it.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
    edited July 2010
    I made a lot of money dealing weed in the New Camp. I finally have a little bit of ore stashed away. I trained up lockpicking, +10 strength, and 1h weapons. Do you ever get a shield?

Also: there's a guy I'm supposed to be able to beat up for his hut in the New Camp. But I can't even scratch him. I'll hit him 2-3 times, no damage. He is able to kill me in 2 hits. Did this fanpatch bug something else?

captaink on
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There are no shields in the Gothic series. It's all manly sword-on-sword action.

The no-damage thing happens often early in the game. Wait until you skill up and/or get a better sword.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    There are no shields in the Gothic series. It's all manly sword-on-sword action.

The no-damage thing happens often early in the game. Wait until you skill up and/or get a better sword.

Or get a bow/crossbow, lots of arrows/bolts, jump on a large rock and shoot down on them (you might kill them though). If they attempt to climb the rock, time your shoots so that you knock them back down.

Fun story: Later on in Gothic 2 there is a dragon in a volcano that I didn't stand a chance against. I beat him anyway. How did I do this? Well, at the entrance of the volcano there was a small tunnel, too small for the dragon, and where his fire couldn't touch me. I lured the dragon to the tunnel, went around the corner - and then started to fire a a few dozen bolts against the wall, killing the dragon with indirect hits.

Anther tip for killing dragons: Look for Summon Demon and Transform into Demon scrolls and save them for the dragons. You can take most of the dragons down with just one or two of these scrolls.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Right, those transform-scrolls are really really awesome. You can also use them to kill otherwise very difficult monsters and reap exp like crazy because they last quite some time.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
    edited July 2010
    Getting more of the hang of things now. I got some lockpicks and robbed any chests I could get to safely in the new camp. Did a few more in the old camp as well. The kicker was the blacksmith's chest with ~20 sword blanks in it. Smithed those into swords worth 50 ore each. I just hit level 4, need to buy up the hunting skills for long term cash. I'm going mage so I think I'll bank my points after that. Went to the sect camp to check it out and earn some XP.

captaink on
    edited July 2010
    I've joined the old camp and consequently robbed Gomez blind. Dude had tons of good stuff, I think I'm set for life, as long as I can find merchants with enough ore to trade me.

captaink on
    edited July 2010
    Do I have to kill the minecrawler queen? I seem to only be able to hurt it with critical hits.

captaink on
    edited July 2010
    Finally got to become a mage. Now we're cooking with gas! Literally cooking 8-)

captaink on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finally got to become a mage. Now we're cooking with gas! Literally cooking 8-)

Now you're ready to kick some sand in those bandits' faces ... from a reasonable distance.

emnmnme on
    edited July 2010
    I got Storm of Fire, now that spell kicks some ass. I need to figure out a way to hit this giant pack of orc dogs with it all at once.

captaink on
    edited July 2010
    Wind Fist 4 life.

emnmnme on
    edited July 2010
    I picked up that rune but I haven't used it yet. The numbers on it looked kind of wimpy.

captaink on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, Arcania has had my attention since I first heard about it a couple months ago. What are our early impressions, dudes? Is it going to be faithful to the series, or should I skip it? I've never played a Gothic title though, and Arcania has my eye simply because I require a new WRPG to get into.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It looks like it will be good but we really won't have any idea until it's released. I hear it will be sometime in October this year so it won't be too much longer.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Strangely, I found Gothic 3 a ton of fun despite the ubiquitous bugs, crashes and poor performance. In contrast, I put down Gothic 2 after trying for an hour to get into it because the controls were staggeringly hideous. I keep wondering if I should try it again, but ow.

And for some reason I got about 2/3 of the way through Risen and just lost complete interest in everything, especially the storyline.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2010
    Ahh bugs. This session I ran into a ladder that dumped me off near the top, and a winch that wouldn't let me stop turning.

captaink on
    edited July 2010
    Is there a cheat for noclip mode or something? I've got an inoperable winch. It isn't the common bug where it won't go from stuck->usable. It is usable, but it bugs out and my character just keeps turning the wheel, so I'm stuck.

captaink on
    edited July 2010
    Is there a cheat for noclip mode or something? I've got an inoperable winch. It isn't the common bug where it won't go from stuck->usable. It is usable, but it bugs out and my character just keeps turning the wheel, so I'm stuck.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/913888-gothic/cheats

I'm trying to figure out what Load Position means. Checking Gothic forums.

EDIT: "Open the status screen (key " S " or " B ") type MARVIN and press RETURN. Then you press ESC.. Go to the Gate and press the Key "K". Sounds! You’re on the other sight of the Gate."

emnmnme on
    edited July 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/913888-gothic/cheats

I'm trying to figure out what Load Position means. Checking Gothic forums.

EDIT: "Open the status screen (key " S " or " B ") type MARVIN and press RETURN. Then you press ESC.. Go to the Gate and press the Key "K". Sounds! You’re on the other sight of the Gate."

Found this fix. Phew. That was almost a showstopper.

Now I am a badass water mage, with some awesome 5th circle spell to try out.

captaink on
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okay, I've always been curious of the Gothic games, but have never played them. I love the Elder Scroll titles (Morrowind was the first I played, followed by Oblivion and Daggerfall... Daggerfall is fuckawesome).

Gothic 2 is ten bucks on Steam. How much of a steal is this? Am I a terrible person for never playing it? I hear that 2 is the best, followed by 1... Does this mean 3 and Risen are bad? Or good, but just not "as" good? Also, how open is the world compared to Morrowind or Oblivion?

I know.. I'm an ass for all those questions. I tend to get into games long after they come out. It generally works in my favor, as I skip by a bunch of games that end up being over-hyped, and I get to the good ones long after the official and community patches hit.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    To be honest, I'm finding the Gothic series to be pretty ignorable in the long run. Gothic 2, to me, was merely "okay" and Gothic 3 was a huge unfinished, buggy, poorly-optimized mess.

Compared to Morrowind and Oblivion, the "open-world-ness" of it is a bit more limited. There's a lot to explore, but I never really felt compelled to see what's over the next horizon like I was in Morrowind.

Honestly, I'd just wait til I see Risen on sale again and grab that.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited July 2010
    I like them about as much as I liked Morrowind. They play a lot differently though. Difficulty is crushingly hard in the beginning, but you get a lot more powerful with new weapons and armor. It's a small but detailed open world.

Right now I'm a bit stuck on a fight with 3 orc temple guards. They are fast and strong and I can't kill them before they get to me.

captaink on