As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Computer, Old Hard Drive

SticklyStickly Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So my brother gave me a computer the other day. There's a few things I'm keeping from my old computer, Sound card, DVD drive, graphics card, and my two old hard drives. The main hard drive has Windows 7 Home on it. What I want to do is just do a clean install of Win7 but I have a little bit of a problem. Only my main hard drive is connected and the Win7 DVD is in the drive. When I start my computer I get this screen:

Windows Boot Manager
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "repair your computer"

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.
----

Like I said, I just want to do a clean install but I can't seam to boot from the Win7 DVD. The DVD drive shows up in the BIOS also. Here's the specs of the new computer:
CPU: AMD Pnenom II X4 955
MoBo: MSI 790FX-GD70
RAM: 4 Gigs
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 275

If you need any other info I can give it.

Thanks in advance

Stickly on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wipe the hard drive in another computer.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    SticklyStickly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't have access to another computer I could put it into. I'm using my room mates laptop rigth now. I remember a program called "Boot and Nuke." Is there anything like that I could load onto a USB drive?

Stickly on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    If you're familiar with BIOS, try turning off every boot device except the DVD drive, then just turn it on again when Windows naturally restarts midway through the installation process.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Stickly wrote: »
    Wipe the hard drive in another computer.
    I don't have access to another computer I could put it into. I'm using my room mates laptop rigth now. I remember a program called "Boot and Nuke." Is there anything like that I could load onto a USB drive?

Another option is to get one of these, and use it to plug in the hard drive into the laptop and wipe it. Most local computer stores will carry something like this.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just set the boot order in the BIOS to go to the DVD drive first.

Ruckus on