As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex: HR spoiler-wary people stay out

• Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Reboot, huh?

I'm cautious, neither optimistic nor pessimistic. I don't trust -quels, they're always just short of being what I want.

Unless its something I like, then, obviously, its awesome and double-standards are awesome.

Hopefully when DX3 comes out, I add it to the "it doesn't count, because its awesome, and -quels still suck" list.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't know what I hate more: that buzzword, or the very practice.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A thing about reboots...an important thing about reboots...is that video gaming is one of the few places I will not care if it's done, say, even five years after the original. Because technology advances so quickly...imagine Deus Ex's fundamentals and story with 2005's technology, just for example. If a series has ended or stalled, no reason to not try it again from a new angle.

Also, I know it's part of the charm, but I'd like to see a Deus Ex with voice acting that didn't vary between bland and borderline offensive.

For that matter, imagine being able to explore whole new avenues of story. Choosing the bad side,
    staying with UNATCO and eventually becoming MJ12's most powerful agent, maybe even stabbing Bob Page in the back and making a dark version of the Helios ending

Shadowen on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Also, I know it's part of the charm, but I'd like to see a Deus Ex with voice acting that didn't vary between bland and borderline offensive.

JC Denton... in da fresh

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ihdihd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

JC Denton... in da fresh

I'll tell them you are a spy, and they will kill you.

ihd on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ihd wrote: »

JC Denton... in da fresh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlu5C0PT4kQ

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

JC Denton... in da fresh

JC, Paul, Gunther, Stanton Dowde, Manderly, Walton Simons, Anna Navarre and Bob Page are the only voices that should not be touched. The rest I wish were re-done from scratch.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bullio wrote: »
    ihd wrote: »

JC Denton... in da fresh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlu5C0PT4kQ

Should totally be in the OP by now.

Pretty sure it's linked every 5 pages.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The scream always gets me.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Tell us about the new Athleticism skill. We don't start out slower than in vanilla do we? Was it a pain to implement?
    You do, but - The default movement speed is really fast when compared to modern games, or, say, a reasonable approximation of real life. Also, upping athletics to trained takes a trivial amount of skill points and returns you to the default, speedy values if you must have them.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    From the book being called Icarus Effect or whatever, to the trailer song being named Icarus, to Icarus theme in the trailer, I do wonder whether or not we'll see the Icarus AI mentioned in Human Revolution.

Technically it's possible Daedalus already exists and Icarus is being made throughout the duration of the game.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    From the book being called Icarus Effect or whatever, to the trailer song being named Icarus, to Icarus theme in the trailer, I do wonder whether or not we'll see the Icarus AI mentioned in Human Revolution.

Technically it's possible Daedalus already exists and Icarus is being made throughout the duration of the game.

I always assumed the DX3 team was comparing the Icarus myth to mechanical augmentation.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fiziks wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »

I always assumed the DX3 team was comparing the Icarus myth to mechanical augmentation.

If that's the case, we'll get to see what happens when mankind soars too high...

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I just finished Deus Ex again. I have only one question after sitting through the credits:

[literaryjoke]
    whoisjohngault.jpg
    Who is John Gault?
    [/literaryjoke]

Seriously though I thought it's hilarious that he's credited both as "Jock" and "Black Helicopter" as if Black Helicopter was a totally different character. Sunglasses at Night even pointed this out. Classic.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    whoisjohngault

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No, see, he did the rotor noises for the Black Helicopter

thupthupthupthupthupthupthupthupthupthupthupthupthupthup

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Stuck in DX1:
    I blew up the tanker in NY, and now have to make my way back to Jock. I've found a room with three spider mechs, a fan, and a ladder. If I climb the ladder, the fan kills me. I don't know how to turn it off, and I don't have any more explosives. Any ideas?

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The long way around is to get to the other side (where there are two giganto-bots patrolling) via the dock entry, and then take the elevator and jump from some cranes to the roof.

But yeah, if you can, find some explosives.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I found some explosives and a rocket launcher in the big ammo room near the beginning of the complex (I had foolishly decided to take the plasma gun in an earlier level, which sucks against mechs).

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    In general (it's what I do) you should make sure you get the GEP gun at the start, and carry it until the end, generally always making sure you do not drop below 5-10 rockets.

That way, if you ever encounter a problem you cannot solve, the answer is always in your inventory.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Are there any other places to get a GEP gun, post-tanker?

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah there are tons of GEP guns around.

You can dodge the fan if you're fast/lucky enough.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Huh. Don't think I've ever done a single playthrough with carrying around the GEP gun. I think I'll maybe pick it up once or twice when available and then ditch it after clearing an area, but the thing is just way too big to carry around all the time. Big bots are rare enough that I'd rather just hack my way around them or avoid them entirely.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I've never gone through with the GEP, the Plasma Rifle, or the Flamethrower. They're just too big.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah the GEP seems far too big when you realise that you can carry a ton of emp/scramble grenades in it's place and still have room for a rifle.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did anyone else play Project Snowblind?

It was originally intended to be a sequel.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I always thought maybe it would be better if for weapons, you had a pistol holster, a normal gun holster, and a big gun holster that you used instead of inventory space. Maybe a melee holster too. You could hold extra guns in your inventory if you wanted but the holster would be a freebie so that holding a Plasma Gun didn't automagically cripple your carrying capacity. Then again maybe that would have been too easy.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

JC Denton... in da fresh

Ready for the irony? Those voices were done by real Chinese voice actors, for authenticity.
    I've never gone through with the GEP, the Plasma Rifle, or the Flamethrower. They're just too big.

There aren't enough rounds for the GEP gun. Not sure about the flamer.

But the plasma rifle... with upgraded heavy weapons, the plasma rifle is beyond amazing. It 1-2 shot kills just about everything, is super accurate, and carries tons of ammo. You pretty much won't need another weapon

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The real-world counterparts are actually much, much smaller than the game version

I find that a lot of games do this, and I don't quite know why. Its not just for things that you see in real life, but for everything. Its like the world has been made deliberately huge for some reason.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did anyone else play Project Snowblind?

It was originally intended to be a sequel.

Yeah, a sequel to Invisible War. And when the nerd-rage hit from IW, the devs wisely decided to make it a standalone game. I only played a Snowblind for a few minutes and the engine and interface similarities were pretty obviously similar. No idea if the game is at all decent.
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The real-world counterparts are actually much, much smaller than the game version

I find that a lot of games do this, and I don't quite know why. Its not just for things that you see in real life, but for everything. Its like the world has been made deliberately huge for some reason.

Likely because most people don't play a few feet away from a huge, huge screen or monitor. Larger everything makes every item, from doorways down to ammo, much more noticeable and user-friendly. And since even the modern era of "3D" games are still viewed on a 2D surface, scale is more difficult to discern and notice without close inspection.

That being said, the base of the Statue of Liberty in Deus Ex is ludicrously larger than the real-world version. I'd say the DE version is something like 4 times the size of the original. It makes sense from a gameplay standpoint, but it makes the Statue of Liberty look ridiculously tiny in comparison to the real world.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Goumindong wrote: »

JC Denton... in da fresh

Ready for the irony? Those voices were done by real Chinese voice actors, for authenticity.

Still awful!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lork wrote: »
    His visit actually had a pretty sizable (heh) effect on the development of the game. Warren Spector wrote about it in a Deus Ex postmortem he did for Gamasutra. Which I might add, is an excellent article that is well worth reading if you're at all interested in game design, or Deus Ex.

Man, the last line of that article is tragic.
    "I'm not saying we did that perfectly on Deus Ex. We certainly didn't ship a perfect game. But if we hadn't gone into development with the attitude that we'd do things right or not at all, we would have fallen far shorter of perfection than we did. How close we did get is something all of you can decide for yourselves. All I know is we're going to get closer next time."

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I keep meaning to go back through DX1 and do a total asshole run, killing everyone I see in attempts to find dialog I missed.

Anyone know if there are many differences in dialog if you talk to people first and then kill them versus just shooting them in the face right away?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Been a long time since I did a run-through of Deus Ex 1, but I can't believe I'm just now noticing a gaping plot hole:
    Atanwe: "We're drugging you because we can't allow you to know Morgan Everett's location! There is no other way!"

Everett: "I need you to go do some shit for me. I radioed your trusted chopper pilot with my exact location."

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Atanwe probably is so used to drugging people that it would have been impossible for Everett to convince him to take any other plan of action.
    Plus by that point you've probably killed the former leader of the Illuminati, swam in Everett's fishtank, stolen tons of stuff from him, talked with Alex about how you don't trust him (while most likely being recorded by 8 different things, including a (sentient?) program that knows more about you than you do) and become Everett's partner more or less. So you're sort of "in."

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Atanwe probably is so used to drugging people that it would have been impossible for Everett to convince him to take any other plan of action.
    Plus by that point you've probably killed the former leader of the Illuminati, swam in Everett's fishtank, stolen tons of stuff from him, talked with Alex about how you don't trust him (while most likely being recorded by 8 different things, including a (sentient?) program that knows more about you than you do) and become Everett's partner more or less. So you're sort of "in."

Yeah but
    if you've done all those things (besides becoming his partner), wouldn't he be even more interested in keeping his location a secret from you? You just spent 10 minutes fucking all his shit up. Besides, there's more than one chopper pilot in the world.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You guys are missing the obvious motivation for drugging. The developers didn't have any time to construct a smooth transition to everett's place, so they just said "fuck it, we're drugging him."

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You guys are missing the obvious motivation for drugging. The developers didn't have any time to construct a smooth transition to everett's place, so they just said "fuck it, we're drugging him."

Seems like it would have been easy enough to get Everett to say, "Go see Atanwe. He will bring you back to the metro station, and your helicopter pilot is waiting outside." More transitions, sure, but it would have made a lot more sense plot-wise than, "You can't know our location! Here is our location."

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Yeah but
    if you've done all those things (besides becoming his partner), wouldn't he be even more interested in keeping his location a secret from you? You just spent 10 minutes fucking all his shit up. Besides, there's more than one chopper pilot in the world.

I guess I figured that if he's willing to let you do pretty much anything other than eat all the food out of his cupboard, he's sort of past caring that you know where he is.

Also there are windows to look out of so you can sort of tell where you are. I mean, assuming this was real life and not Deus Ex, where all you can see are 5 ugly ass buildings and then blackness everywhere else.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You would think Everett would be more worried about the man who just planted...

A BOMB!

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg