• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DLC is already confirmed.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Alright, I'm pretty ready for Deus Ex to wrap up.
    Just finished the undersea lab and I'm on my way to the missile silo. How much is left?

also
    I shot Simons with the GEP gun before he could talk to me. This locked him into being a friendly, and I just whaled on him with the Dragon Tooth until he died.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Alright, I'm pretty ready for Deus Ex to wrap up.
    Just finished the undersea lab and I'm on my way to the missile silo. How much is left?

also
    I shot Simons with the GEP gun before he could talk to me. This locked him into being a friendly, and I just whaled on him with the Dragon Tooth until he died.

I think only one or two missions after
    the missile silo.

There's
    outside Area 51, and then inside it; I don't know if those are counted as separate.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3180952
    Small spoilers for a mission about 90 minutes into the game. Doesn't really reveal much specific about the story other than basically the mission briefing. It describes different ways to complete the mission.
    When we last spoke with Warren Spector, director on the original Deus Ex, about what he hoped to see from Deus Ex: Human Revolution (the prequel he has nothing to do with), he said he wanted Eidos Montreal to retain the element of gameplay choice that fans loved so much about the original. After having seen a demo of Human Revolution at Gamescom today, we're eager to inform Warren that his hope has been met -- Human Revolution looks as if it may even surpass the original in terms of its depth and gameplay choices.

The demo we saw was actually shown to us three different times -- it's the same exact scenario, just played through with entirely different approaches. Here's the setup: about 90 minutes into the game, you're given the task of infiltrating the morgue at a police headquarters to retrieve a chip embedded in a dead terrorist's head. This terrorist is part of a group against transhumanism (people augmented with cybernetics, which is the product Sarif Industries, your in-game employer). But here's the catch: the terrorist himself has cybernetic implants. So he must be some sort of plant within the terrorist organization -- but a plant by who? The government? You're on a mission to find out, which is why it's imperative you get access to the morgue and get that chip.

You have a few different ways to reacquire the chip. The first we see is probably what many gamers will instinctively do -- blast their way inside. That's exactly what our demoer does; he basically runs in, guns blazing, and shows off some of the cool tactics at your disposal. As he makes his way through one of the police offices, he picks up a copy machine and throws it forward to use as cover. Once behind it, he's able to position himself to blindfire at cops (who are using their own desks as cover). We also see how you can use your X-ray vision augmentation, which highlights exactly where enemies are within the environment (we could see several waiting behind some cube walls).

After that, we get a demo of some weapon choices, like enhancing the pistol with explosive bullets (each weapon has multiple possible upgrades). Another cool example of this is the mine template -- a schematic that lets you combine a mine with any sort of grenade you have in your inventory. And if you were wondering, yes, there are also weapons that just stun your opponents instead of killing them. Anyway, our demoer makes his way through the station, unfortunately taking out plenty of cops along the way. He uses mines to disable sensors and eventually makes it to the morgue, gets the chip, and escapes out a lower exit into the sewers.

The level is then restarted. The next goal is to use communication skills to, essentially, charm your way inside. The neat thing about taking this route is that you talk to a lot of guards and learn a lot of the backstories between you and them. In one part, you have to convince an old cop friend to stick his neck out for you -- you have to remind him of your history together. It's still possible to "lose" this part -- if you're not convincing enough you'll have to resort to other means (see tactic 1) -- but in our case, the friend gives in and gives us the access we need. And though we don't spend time doing it, you can use your time in the station to find out all sorts of extra information (by digging through peoples' email at unmanned workstations). Anyway, it's relatively painless from then on to make it to the morgue, grab the chip, and walk out the front door. Without an army of policemen in the way, we're able to avoid the sewers altogether.

The third and final demo is all about stealth. Our demoer shows how you can walk to the back of the station, use a strength augmentation, then pick up a dumpster and place it next to the security fence to climb safely over. Not that you have to use a Strength Augmentation -- you can simply climb to the top of the roof and make your way in from there. But then you'd have to make your way through multiple floors before getting to the morgue, which seems a lot more difficult. Anyway, once inside, your Cloaking Augmentation makes you entirely invisible to the guards (in fact, if you're careful, you can even steal things off of their desks). However, at one point there's the need to bypass a security door to progress further, which requires you to hack into it. Normally, it would be impossible to break the code, but by using a Cranium Augmentation, your mental skills increase and you're able to break the code with a minigame of sorts (though I should stress it's more of a mind teaser than a time-button-pressing game -- it keeps you in the experience).

It's neat to see that, even with all of the Augmentations you have available, you can still assign augmentation points to specific skills. And each skill has its own tree, meaning there's going to be a lot of room to progress your character just the way you like. Another nifty demonstration in this stealth scenario involves a sequence in which a guard passes safely through a section with infrared lasers (because they're tuned to recognize him, turn off, and let him by unharmed ). By stunning and then carrying him, you can make it through this section without setting off any alarms as well. Also cool is the ability to disable cameras and infrared sensors using EMP grenades. With those tactics our demoer eventually makes it to the morgue, gets the chip, and then sneaks out through the sewers (to avoid backtracking all the way through the upper floors again).

So those are three disparate ways of obtaining the chip from the police station -- but as you can probably discern, each strategy can be deviated from at any time. Getting spotted while attempting stealth is likely to result in a firefight, as will getting into a heated face-off with one of the guards while attempting Persuasion. Just this small window into the choices and paths available in Human Revolution is enough to have me really excited about the gameplay possibilities in the full version. And that's without including the incredible atmosphere and audio that wowed us during the E3 preview. Few games have me excited as Deus Ex Human Revolution.

This sounds shit hot

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sounds like the default fallback position is always going to be combat whenever your chosen tactic fails.

And that's okay with me.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    thunderclumpthunderclump Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Sounds like the default fallback position is always going to be combat whenever your chosen tactic fails.

And that's okay with me.

I mean, that has always been the case surely? I can't recall a scenario in Deus Ex where if you fail a gunfight you have to charm your way free.

thunderclump on
    421629-1.png
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    When all else fails, strength prevails.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If violence isn't your last resort, you didn't resort to enough of it.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Considering the nature of what you're trying to do, violence as the most basic state of the game when you screw up makes sense. If some gaurd sees you hacking a panel to get into a room clearly marked "STAY THE HELL OUT", he probably isn't going to think you were looking for the restroom.

Although it would be incredibly awesome if you could set things up to charm your way in and the guards know you're there to do maintenance or something. Hacking a panel while they blithely ignore you as you do your "job" would be fun. Trip an alarm and you get a chance to convince them it was just a crossed wire, but then you get a timer before the silent alarm gets the cops there and the guards realize how dumb they are.

But I'm content with just being able to charm my way in and have to shoot my way out if I screw up.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My only real complaint with Deus Ex is that anyone can make any amount of noise, a soldier could sneeze a nuclear missile and nobody would blink, but as soon as I so much as scoot an inch to the left everybody knows there's an intruder.

How?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm hoping you can combine.

Talk my way into it, then stealth to steal everyone's shit off their desk.

And then perhaps kill everyone on my way out after all mission objectives have been accomplished and the place was left barren of valuable items.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My only real complaint with Deus Ex is that anyone can make any amount of noise, a soldier could sneeze a nuclear missile and nobody would blink, but as soon as I so much as scoot an inch to the left everybody knows there's an intruder.

How?

Because you forgot to crouch? Crouching makes it so you make no noise.

Couscous on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

How?

Or just get the aug and never have to worry about it again.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Fiziks wrote: »

How?

Or just get the aug and never have to worry about it again.

The silent running aug isn't that useful. The speed mod increases your crouched speed so that you can quickly wack a bunch of people before they have a chance to start walking back and see their friend's body. It also allows you to do crazy shit.

Couscous on
  • Options
    KarmondKarmond Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My only real complaint is that when I hack turrets to fire on my allies everyone suddenly knows I did it.

Karmond on
  • Options
    HamareHamare Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DLC is already confirmed.

Lets hope it's not day 1 premium DLC...

Hamare on
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Allright, allright already! I'm reinstalling. Just heard about Biomod and Shifter and the HD mod. Are they all compatable? Or do Biomod and Shifter conflict? I dont imagine the HD mod would conflict with either of those...

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    you guys don't seem to understand what I'm saying

fuckers make noise all over the place. how do they know it's an intruder when they hear my footsteps? people be walking all over the place, bitches

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, ka-duh. Biomod is based on Shifter code and includes it.

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    you guys don't seem to understand what I'm saying

fuckers make noise all over the place. how do they know it's an intruder when they hear my footsteps? people be walking all over the place, bitches

The AI is pretty ancient. Although I have to say, I think it's funny that a decade later we're still having to put up with the same shortcoming in video games. Probably the best development we've had in that arena is the "what was that?" mode rather than enemies instantly knowing who you are merely by the sound signature of your footsteps. And holy crap is that getting old.

Would it really be that hard to give AIs varying level of basic suspicion? In other words, making someone like a cop in an office completely ignore your footsteps (he's working there and so are other people) while soldiers in a secret base will ask if someone is there and immediately report over the radio that they're investigating a noise. But walk up behind the cop and he'll look (it's only natural) or run near the secret soldier and he'll run over to investigate.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Read this on the IGN preview:
    Using a combination of environmental awareness and augmentation, you can get through the whole game (with the exception of boss encounters) without firing a single shot.

Boss battles. Yay. Sounds like the AP issue of making a super stealth guy but not actually being able to be just a super stealth guy.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Using a combination of environmental awareness and augmentation, you can get through the whole game (with the exception of boss encounters) without firing a single shot.

Boss battles. Yay. Sounds like the AP issue of making a super stealth guy but not actually being able to be just a super stealth guy.

AP issue?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I made a stealth dude who had no problems in Alpha Protocol except for boss battles since they were a bit out of place compared to the rest of the game. Not to mention my general dislike of boss battles anyway...

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »

AP issue?
    Alpha Protocol. From what I heard (I haven't played the game), you can play a stealthy character through most of the game, but you will be fucked if you invest all your skills into that because the game has mandatory boss battles that you can't stealth your way through.

Couscous on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You won't be super fucked, but yeah, there's a lot of mandatory combat in Alpha Protocol that basically goes against the game's entire philosophy of "no bad choices and no wrong way to play"

But I don't think that'll be an issue in Deus Ex, as long as they make the shooting not suck on a very basic level

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just give me some damn killphrases.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i just want to know

are we going to get a skul gun

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

If Laputan Machine isn't a killphrase for at least ONE of the cyborgs, I'm slashing my wrists.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Would it really be that hard to give AIs varying level of basic suspicion? In other words, making someone like a cop in an office completely ignore your footsteps (he's working there and so are other people) while soldiers in a secret base will ask if someone is there and immediately report over the radio that they're investigating a noise. But walk up behind the cop and he'll look (it's only natural) or run near the secret soldier and he'll run over to investigate.

That is how Hitman (at least Blood Money) basically works. The focus is much more on avoiding suspicion than avoiding noise. Of course, it's also much more of a disguise based game than a stealth game so the focus had to be different.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Does Gunther have one? And I'm guessing Simons doesn't, since it's exclusive to cyborgs

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Does Gunther have one? And I'm guessing Simons doesn't, since it's exclusive to cyborgs

For Gunther:
    Laputan Machine

I can't recall any other one.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Jakarrd wrote: »

For Gunther:
    Laputan Machine

Anna is
    Flatlander woman.

And unlike Gunther, she seems to know her own killphrase. Odd, really.

They're the only two you get in the game.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    i just want to know

are we going to get a skul gun

shifter gives you one.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is pretty good. A guy tries to recreate the liberty island mission in real life.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    haha, thats great.

nobody warned me about the fucking boxes

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Shadowen wrote: »

For Gunther:
    Laputan Machine

Anna is
    Flatlander woman.

I got Anna's, but where is Gunther's?

Also, game = finished! Lesson learned: put some points into medicine, because there aren't many medical 'bots later in the game.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If you tell Jaime Reyes to stay in UNATCO, he will give you an aug canister. If you tell him to meet you in Hong Kong, he'll give you Gunther's killphrase. Or maybe its the other way around, I forget.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    If you tell Jaime Reyes to stay in UNATCO, he will give you an aug canister. If you tell him to meet you in Hong Kong, he'll give you Gunther's killphrase. Or maybe its the other way around, I forget.

Other way around I believe.

simulacrum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Shadowen wrote: »

For Gunther:
    Laputan Machine

Anna is
    Flatlander woman.

I got Anna's, but where is Gunther's?

Also, game = finished! Lesson learned: put some points into medicine, because there aren't many medical 'bots later in the game.

Not worth the skill points
    Put them somewhere else and get the Regen mod. The alternative is a worthless mod.

Dhalphir on