As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Legend of the Five Rings - [Phalla] in the Emerald Empire - Mantis Win!

1373839404143»

• Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm glad that even in my horrid inactivity, I called it on cheez. :P Hi 5 mantis.

Sorry for being awful.

Wait... what did you call?

cheez on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can't believe a 50% kill got through an 80% redirect

I can't believe that the one damn day I was actually attacked is when my busdrive failed.

*ugh*

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Red Shirt 101Red Shirt 101 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    First, I'd like to say that I had a lot of fun. Also I'm surprised I lasted as long as I did. A lot of you must have been itching to off the red shirt and I thank you for waiting as long as you did :mrgreen:

Since others have been putting up the boards of their clans, here's the Crane clan boards

Oh, and if you're reading this Paranoia833: Ahahahahah! You died! Filthy Scorpion! Serves you right for lowering the honor of Jdarksun and Daniant and screwing up my honor ups! I was Doji Mitsu, the Crane you kept throwing off his game in the narrations! Seriously though, good game. Made my role interesting.
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Sheesh, that was a long phalla.

There wouldn't be any interest in the following sentence- you know, the one that says if you're interested in playing the L5R RPG on a PbP basis, I'll be starting one or two in the near future AND providing character creation stats in the threads so anyone who feels like applying can?

It'll take me a while to get the thread up, but hopefully the game will be underway before the end of the month.

In other news, I have a lot of typing to do.

Oh! I'd really want in. But school will be starting up in a couple of weeks. Maybe I can make time for it.

Red Shirt 101 on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also, thanks for running this Loser! I really enjoyed it, especially the narrations.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As someone who was lurking the whole time, I enjoyed this Phalla a lot. Especially the lore.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    FrostMistFrostMist NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Really fun game - loved the narrations and quite surprised I actually survived through the game this time :D

FrostMist on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    First, I'd like to say that I had a lot of fun. Also I'm surprised I lasted as long as I did. A lot of you must have been itching to off the red shirt and I thank you for waiting as long as you did :mrgreen:

Since others have been putting up the boards of their clans, here's the Crane clan boards

Oh, and if you're reading this Paranoia833: Ahahahahah! You died! Filthy Scorpion! Serves you right for lowering the honor of Jdarksun and Daniant and screwing up my honor ups! I was Doji Mitsu, the Crane you kept throwing off his game in the narrations! Seriously though, good game. Made my role interesting.
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Sheesh, that was a long phalla.

There wouldn't be any interest in the following sentence- you know, the one that says if you're interested in playing the L5R RPG on a PbP basis, I'll be starting one or two in the near future AND providing character creation stats in the threads so anyone who feels like applying can?

It'll take me a while to get the thread up, but hopefully the game will be underway before the end of the month.

In other news, I have a lot of typing to do.

Oh! I'd really want in. But school will be starting up in a couple of weeks. Maybe I can make time for it.

I did get a kick out of the fact that you two targeted the same person just about every night.

It was hilarious.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Red Shirt 101Red Shirt 101 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I did get a kick out of the fact that you two targeted the same person just about every night.

It was hilarious.

It was fun. It's unfortunate that there weren't more roles concerned with raising or lowering honor. I've only skimmed the other clans' boards but most seem to have dismissed honor as a way to get rid of someone. I know I was really worried for a bit. The other person who could raise honor was killed the first night and I knew that the Scorpion still had both of their honor lowerers alive so I realized I was fighting a losing battle keeping Daniant and Jdarksun alive. Then one of them died and things got easier.

Red Shirt 101 on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

It was hilarious.

It was fun. It's unfortunate that there weren't more roles concerned with raising or lowering honor. I've only skimmed the other clans' boards but most seem to have dismissed honor as a way to get rid of someone. I know I was really worried for a bit. The other person who could raise honor was killed the first night and I knew that the Scorpion still had both of their honor lowerers alive so I realized I was fighting a losing battle keeping Daniant and Jdarksun alive. Then one of them died and things got easier.

Indeed, although part of the reason that honor wasn't really that important in the end was because the people who lowered honor seemed to only go after those with 3 or more honor. Or they would hit someone's honor for a night and then never again. The crab were great targets to lower honor on. The scorpion were easy to take out with honor, but it required allying with a few of the other honor lowerers out there (like the otomo, or the mantis).

In the end, I probably started people off with too much honor. It should have been lower, but i rounded up instead of down (since every school in the game starts with X.5). If I'd rounded down, then everyone would have been one lower, and honor would have become more deadly.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Primary and TertiaryConditions Achieved!

Jdarksun

RedShirt101

Alegis

Hurray! For I have seen the light and its non-blood-speaking ways.

Well blood speakers were a bad joke. Started around 13% of people, not even a group kill (a 40% and another given only later in following days), easy way to track them down and a shitload of specials to seer them twice over each night to boot.

Thanks for hosting LFHX but it did feel we were simply a phase that had no option at all just to get some flavor for the real faction game going on. I even considered betraying mafia for secondary and tertiary conditions as it was that hopeless.

Alegis on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Bloodspeakers were really screwed from the very beginning in this game. We should add some comment to the phalla OP about how when you evenly distribute bad guys among multiple factions it is horribly disadvantageous to them.

Still, thank you village for providing me days of entertainment by sifting through the voting records on who saved me. As is obvious, none of my teammates were involved. Had me laughing for days afterwards.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MegatinMegatin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    durax wrote: »
    The honor mechanic never seemed all that useful.
    I might not understand it fully, but someone with high honor didn't seem to gain any advantage, and if someone had zero honor (besides the spiders) they had a whole day to petition people to raise it one point?

Did any player die or feel threatened by dishonor?

My chance to kill seemed to go up whenever my honor dropped, which made me notice it :)

Megatin on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The Bloodspeakers were really screwed from the very beginning in this game. We should add some comment to the phalla OP about how when you evenly distribute bad guys among multiple factions it is horribly disadvantageous to them.

yeah. did work alright for True Names though - had a lot of infighting and the mafia members won separately if they destroyed their smaller caste.

If not in such a format then I'd definitely say even distribution should be taboo.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I had psolms' vig pinging at moleface (or at least that's what he had me believe). Setting himself to invisible was quite silly indeed. Not that I needed much reason, him rejecting the plan of guarding Mr. D was enough for psolms.

Also if you had voted me out rather than vig I would have been happy to bargain with information considering we had a full player list. No coincidence I happened to find spiders with 0 honor easily, but unfortunately there was little threat for the clans to be found in them.

Alegis on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2010
    Excellent game, thanks for running it! It was a little unfortunate for us bloodpseakers, though, because I'm really not sure how we were supposed to crack the web of seers, guards and busdrivers. Not sending in kills one night certainly didn't help, though.

EDIT - And my redirect saved one of us at least once, so I was happy.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    We didn't have a kill the first night. And even then the first one we got was 40% I believe.

Alegis on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited August 2010
    It was fun. It could have been better, particularly with less seers to run the game, but the narrations made up for the dynamic issues a lot. :)

Thanks for hosting LFHX. I hope that a little break refills you with passion to retry a main, because you've got some awesome narration skills.

Shushnik on
  • Options
    John the SkrullJohn the Skrull Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Good job on the game, man. 'twas fun.

I think the scorpion were mostly done in by bad luck. I know Cynic was trying to seer in clan for the first few days and I think the first time he actually succeeded in seering anyone was me on the third day, and then I went and got killed the next night. It really stunted out ability to join the network (which resulted in the scorpion kill-fest to find the bloodspeaker).

By the way, the write-ups were awesome. I really enjoyed having a sneaky ninja fight scene! Thanks LFHX

John the Skrull on
  • Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Psolms, my vig on night 1 was actually aimed at CowKing, not at you. Us scorpion's figured it was too early to give too much info away and join the network.

However, it was A duck! telling me this, so that's probably where I went wrong.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2010
    Diorinix wrote: »
    Psolms, my vig on night 1 was actually aimed at CowKing, not at you. Us scorpion's figured it was too early to give too much info away and join the network.

However, it was A duck! telling me this, so that's probably where I went wrong.

Might have had something to do with it. I also redirected any kills I knew about so I could pick targets.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I also failed my 75% seer on the duck day 1.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    psolms wrote: »
    well, a less than satisfying end, but the rest of the game was fun.

once mr d and my little network of trust connected, the game was all over but the crying.

the confirmed network

crabs boards where cowking outed himself as a guard and got killed. :(

oh and for the record: it was my plan to vote reflection and kill drez. and it was not actually on purpose to throw drez off the scent, but it did do that, which was nice.

Yeah I posted that then went.

HEY WAIT A SECOND FACTION GAME

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cow King, why are you always a guard?

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited August 2010