As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monitor Trouble

Edgler VessEdgler Vess Registered User regular
Ive reached the absolute end of my google-fu rope with this and its driving me batshit insane.

I currently posses a 25 Inch Hannspree monitor, hooked up through HDMI, it has been, and really still is functioning correctly, however 2 days ago I put new ATI Drivers for my Raedon 5850 so that Borderlands would display correctly (some textures were coming up blank). The good news is, my fix worked and everything is looking better than ever with the new drivers, the bad news is, my screen has a 1 inch black border around it, essentially turning my 25 inch monitor it a 23 inch monitor.

Ive tried EVERYTHING I can think of to fix it (was displaying full screen at 1900x1080 before the driver update, now its not).

-Played with monitor controls
-installed new Catalyst Control Center, tried adjust things in there
-played around in Control Panel, still no dice.

Just looking for ideas that may get this damn thing to display its native resolution fullscreen again.

steam_sig.png
Edgler Vess on

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is it the monitor or the game?

Mugsley on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Monitor, after the driver update, EVERYTHING has the black border around it (including games).

Edgler Vess on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is it actually displaying a lower resolution, or is just scaling down the same resolution?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Scaling down the correct resolution, its LOOKS great, its just not the right size.

Edgler Vess on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you are connecting the monitor through the HDMI cable, sometimes the card tries to compensate for overscan because it thinks you are connected to a TV. You'll need to manually adjust the overscan value to have the desktop completely fill your screen.

To do this you'll need to open up your Catalyst Control Center. You can do that by either right-clicking on your desktop or just find it in your 'Start' menu. Make sure your Catalyst Control Center is in 'Advanced' mode and NOT 'basic' mode. You should see a button in CCC to switch modes in the lower left if you are in the incorrect mode.

1. Click the 'Graphics' menu in the upper left part of the Catalyst Control Center. A pulldown list should appear.
    2. Select the 'Desktop and Displays' option from the list.
    3. The window should now show all the displays that are connected to your computer. Near the bottom of the window it will say 'Please select a display' and show icons and a number for each of the displays connected to your computer.

THIS PART IS TOTALLY UNINTUITIVE AND AMD SHOULD BE SHOT FOR DESIGNING THEIR UI LIKE THIS
    4. Right-click on the small icon of your display or click on the tiny black downward pointing arrow on the icon. You will then be presented with two options.
    5. Select the option to 'Configure'
    6. A new window appears that allow you to change the settings for the selected display. I believe the 'overscan' settings can be adjusted in the 'Attributes' tab. There should be a little slider that you can adjust to have the screen fill up your screen. Most likely it is defaulted to something stupid like 125% and all you need to do is set it to 100%.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker