Options

News Media Personalities of America

• Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey look, another person got fired from the government because of trumped up bullshit from Breitbart and Fox. When exactly will liberals learn?

Learning is un-American! If we're going to make mistakes, we'd rather keep making the ones we're familiar with.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    lolBreitbart

That guy just can't not be wrong about every story he pushes

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey look, another person got fired from the government because of trumped up bullshit from Breitbart and Fox. When exactly will liberals learn?

I really hope there is some sort of apology for this, but somehow I doubt a meaningful one will be offered.

kaz67 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why does anybody listen to Breitbart after the ACORN bullshit?

Couscous on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    kaz67 wrote: »

I really hope there is some sort of apology for this, but somehow I doubt a meaningful one will be offered.

I doubt it. Nobody is going to cover the non story of her not being a horrible evil government person. The fact of the matter is: before she worked for the USDA, she was a racist person. She now tells a story of how she realized this and tried to set things right.

News blurb version: Racist USDA Employee Hates White People.

kildy on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Because as far as the public is concerned, he was right and he won. Seriously, I had to do some intentional internet searching to get the official findings following the investigation. Maddow was the only one I recall running the story about the ACORN accusations being debunked.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »

Because as far as the public is concerned, he was right and he won. Seriously, I had to do some intentional internet searching to get the official findings following the investigation. Maddow was the only one I recall running the story about the ACORN accusations being debunked.

Well, TDS and TCR did as well, but they tend to only report what others aren't.

Edit: Also, I wish to point out that whatever happens to Breitbart is too good for him.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey look, a journalist! (Shep again)

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's really brave of Shep, all things considered. Surprised they don't fire him for stuff like this. But I appreciate him.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shepard Smith is still on a three-year contract with FNC, that expires at sometime early 2011.

We'll see what happens then...

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Brian Kilmeade is literally the worst person I've ever seen on television, Jersey Shore included.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    At this point, that reaction is better than literally anyone else in the media or political world. Except maybe Charles fucking Johnson (the founder of Little Green Footballs) who was also highly skeptical.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Doc wrote: »
    Brian Kilmeade is literally the worst person I've ever seen on television, Jersey Shore included.

Pssshh....He's first runner up. Steve Doocy takes the cake.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »

Pssshh....He's first runner up. Steve Doocy takes the cake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JCakTroF88

Doc on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Doocy comes across as a happy-go-lucky silly goose, while Kilmeade comes across as an arrogant silly goose.

The former can be fun to laugh at. The latter is almost never funny. The only funny thing Kilmeade was involved in was when he got like, wrestled down to the ground and had a man's ass in his face.

Henroid on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Damn, Olbermann just did an awesome Special Comment on the whole Sherrod/Breitbart story.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If Andrew Breitbart Edited It
    Aladdin: Swarthy thief flees jail, abducts princess, kills trusted advisor & performs coup d'etat.

Good Night and Good Luck: Commie pinkos run the mainstream media.

Wizard of Oz: Illegal alien murders elderly homeowner.

Karate Kid: Disturbed youth manipulated by charismatic foreigner into assaulting members of local athletic club

Chinatown: Kindly magnate John Huston doesn't lose sight of old-fashioned family values.

Edit: Best one yet:
    The Wire: The cause of all of Baltimore's problems is a government-run socialized police force.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Maddow is being awesome, as usual.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Maddow is being awesome, as usual.

The woman is made of win.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey look, a journalist! (Shep again)

That is classy as hell.

never die on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Okay, the "tortoise/hare" segment on Maddow was hilarious.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You know what the most fucking insulting part of this is? Fox News is trying to disappear their broadcast from yesterday down the memory hole.

What. The. Fuck. Talk about contempt for the public.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The Daily Show points it out on a near daily basis at this point, I was completely unsurprised.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You know what the most fucking insulting part of this is? Fox News is trying to disappear their broadcast from yesterday down the memory hole.

http://mediamatters.org/research/201007210066
    So much bullshit.
    Doocy: Sherrod "sure sounded racist," is "[e]xhibit A" of "what racism looks like." On the July 19 edition of Fox & Friends, co-host Steve Doocy said that Sherrod made "a speech to the NAACP that sure sounded racist." Later, after guest-host Ailysn Camerota asserted that Sherrod's remarks are "outrageous and perhaps everybody needs a refresher course on what racism looks like," Doocy responded that Sherrod's comments are "Exhibit A."

Doocy on Sherrod: "What was the big hurry for them to condemn her in the first place?" On the July 21 edition of Fox & Friends, Dana Perino and Steve Doocy falsely asserted that, in Perino's words, "before the news even broke, she had resigned." Perino then stated that "everyone's nerves are raw and exposed on these racial questions, and I think we should all look before we leap." Doocy then stated: "What was the big hurry for them to condemn her in the first place? I don't get it, because the totality of what she said was out there."
    Beck plays "videotape of USDA administration official discriminating against white farmers." On the July 20 edition of his radio show, Beck says that they "have videotape of a USDA administration official discriminating against white farmers." He then asks, "Have we suddenly transported into 1956 except it's the other way around? ... Does anybody else have a sense that there are some that just want revenge? Doesn't it feel that way?" After playing the audio of the tape, Beck says, "You tell me what part of the gospel is teaching that."

Beck on Fox: "Based on the facts that we have right now, this is something that I wouldn't air and demand a resignation on." On the July 20 edition of this Fox News show, Beck stated: "I don't think Shirley should have been fired -- or, I'm sorry, forced to resign. Based on the facts that we have right now, this is something that I wouldn't air and demand a resignation on." He added that he "wouldn't air" the tape because "context matters."

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

http://mediamatters.org/research/201007210066
    So much bullshit.
    Doocy: Sherrod "sure sounded racist," is "[e]xhibit A" of "what racism looks like." On the July 19 edition of Fox & Friends, co-host Steve Doocy said that Sherrod made "a speech to the NAACP that sure sounded racist." Later, after guest-host Ailysn Camerota asserted that Sherrod's remarks are "outrageous and perhaps everybody needs a refresher course on what racism looks like," Doocy responded that Sherrod's comments are "Exhibit A."

Doocy on Sherrod: "What was the big hurry for them to condemn her in the first place?" On the July 21 edition of Fox & Friends, Dana Perino and Steve Doocy falsely asserted that, in Perino's words, "before the news even broke, she had resigned." Perino then stated that "everyone's nerves are raw and exposed on these racial questions, and I think we should all look before we leap." Doocy then stated: "What was the big hurry for them to condemn her in the first place? I don't get it, because the totality of what she said was out there."
    Beck plays "videotape of USDA administration official discriminating against white farmers." On the July 20 edition of his radio show, Beck says that they "have videotape of a USDA administration official discriminating against white farmers." He then asks, "Have we suddenly transported into 1956 except it's the other way around? ... Does anybody else have a sense that there are some that just want revenge? Doesn't it feel that way?" After playing the audio of the tape, Beck says, "You tell me what part of the gospel is teaching that."

Beck on Fox: "Based on the facts that we have right now, this is something that I wouldn't air and demand a resignation on." On the July 20 edition of this Fox News show, Beck stated: "I don't think Shirley should have been fired -- or, I'm sorry, forced to resign. Based on the facts that we have right now, this is something that I wouldn't air and demand a resignation on." He added that he "wouldn't air" the tape because "context matters."
    Fox News cannot fail, it can only be failed.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Greenwald makes the case that Breitbart is legally exposed:
    Glenn, do you think she has grounds to sue those who released the edited video?
    Possibly. If someone purposely distorts a video to cast false aspersions on you, that's a form of defamation and other tortious conduct that's probably actionable. As a practical matter, it's probably difficult to prove damages (if she is offered her job back). Beyond that, Breitbart is claiming it wasn't him but his "source" who did the editing, and you'd probably have to have a fight over whether he can conceal the source's identity under some sort of shield law. But there's little question that she was defamed and injured through wrongful and likely actionable conduct.

I think there could be claims against Breitbart either way because, as I said, I think it was clear even from the video in edited form that she was making the opposite point of the one he claimed she was making. That's a form of recklessness that could be actionable even if he wasn't the one who did the editing.

Finally, I think it'd be worth it to sue him just to uncover his "source" who did the editing. "Journalists" are supposed to expose their "sources" if they use the journalist to perpetrate a fraud.

I really agree with the last part. Even if the suit ultimately goes nowhere, the chance to put Breitbart under discovery rules would be entertaining, at least.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Will Breitbart at least be considered a fucking hack?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh hey, there's that racial double standard again. Good ol' Fox News, I can always rely on you to be wrong on race matters.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The problem is that being a fucking hack isn't exactly a problem if you're working in the conservative media.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The problem is that being a fucking hack isn't exactly a problem if you're working in the mainstream media.

Fixed for sad reality.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Remember how CBS apologized in the Killian document scandal in 2004? Guess the chances of something similar happening hear. You only get one guess.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, considering Breitbart thinks the farmer and his wife were actors arranged by someone to dupe the public. Or something. Or now it's really about how the NAACP is somehow the real racists.

Dude is a racist motherfucker who should be barred from society but instead will have his own show on either Fox or CNN within a year.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, considering Breitbart thinks the farmer and his wife were actors arranged by someone to dupe the public. Or something. Or now it's really about how the NAACP is somehow the real racists.

Dude is a racist motherfucker who should be barred from society but instead will have his own show on either Fox or CNN within a year.

He's the Heir Of Drudge.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    More Spawn of Drudge, but sure.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    More Spawn of Drudge, but sure.

Well, the guano don't fall far from the bat.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20011257-503544.html
    Sherrod was not the target, Breitbart said on ABC's "Good Morning America." Instead, the conservative intended to diminish the importance of the NAACP in retribution for their recent admonishment of elements of racism with the Tea Party movement.

"What this video clearly shows is a standard the Tea Party has not been held to," Breitbart says. "The NAACP, it shows the audience there applauding her when she discriminates against a white farmer."

He added, "When the NAACP is going to charge the Tea Party of racism, I'm going to show you the other side."
    That doesn't make any sense. It is just a you too fallacy.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20011257-503544.html
    Sherrod was not the target, Breitbart said on ABC's "Good Morning America." Instead, the conservative intended to diminish the importance of the NAACP in retribution for their recent admonishment of elements of racism with the Tea Party movement.

"What this video clearly shows is a standard the Tea Party has not been held to," Breitbart says. "The NAACP, it shows the audience there applauding her when she discriminates against a white farmer."

He added, "When the NAACP is going to charge the Tea Party of racism, I'm going to show you the other side."
    That doesn't make any sense. It is just a you too fallacy.

He's still a fucking liar anyway, and probably a racist to boot. I mean, look at how he tries to move the goalposts. When he posted the video, apparently it was all about Sherrod being a racist, and he never mentioned the audience.

I'm glad me and my conservative friends have agreed to never talk about politics again, because the first person who says some shit to me about the NAACP or Sherrod gets punched in the teeth. That person will have to be a substitute for Breitbart.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Again, you have to remember that Breitbart's furious backpedaling is in part because he knows he's legally exposed.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's a waste of time. The internet never forgets, and you can bet your ass that Media Matters has all the evidence needed to bring a defamation suit against him.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    It's a waste of time. The internet never forgets, and you can bet your ass that Media Matters has all the evidence needed to bring a defamation suit against him.

And again, even if the suit doesn't go anywhere, it's unlikely Breitbart will get a summary dismissal.

Which means he's going to face the joys of discovery.

AngelHedgie on