As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Park that Car, Drop that Phone, Sleep on the Floor [Songs for Fags]

BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS regular
edited July 2010 in Social Entropy++
Which songs make the hair on the back of your neck stand up?

What song makes your stomach twist and your throat constrict? Which songs conjure up an emotion so pure and intense that you can't help but just turn out the lights, turn up the volume, and listen?

Is it the nostalgia of who you were when you first heard it, and what it meant to you then? Is it something that conjures up memories and feelings you thought you were done with? Can a song you've never even heard before take you by surprise and make you feel like a million bucks or the most self-loathing school girl in the whole world?

I'm listening to Anthems for A Seventeen-Year-Old Girl by Broken Social Scene and damn if it still doesn't make me choke up, seven years after I first heard it.

It's like I'm an awkward, angsty teenager all over again. That songs captures the social isolation of adolescence and the painful transitions of friends growing apart better than any other I know. What music hits you right in the gut, SE++, and why?

Backwardsname on

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tannhauser

because Wagner

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey Hey, My My

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    there's this song by a guy named Vince Gill, called Go Rest High On That Mountain

it was played at my older brother's funeral service.

edit: fuck, vesti la giuba, especially povarotti's, is so goddamn moving

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    and because I'm a huge fag and this is the song that reminds me of the first time I fell in love
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJLkcPhVi9w

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    aw that is adorable pipe

what is the backstory with your other songs

I wanna know why these songs mean a lot to folks

Backwardsname on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    OH OH
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PIi0hIT4XQ

lots of different music moves me. I like this thread, Backwards.

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    #pipe wrote: »

lots of different music moves me. I like this thread, Backwards.

music that can do that is pretty much my favorite thing

Backwardsname on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't think I have a song like this

I don't think I could, until I personally write one

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The still for that is the best

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    oh man I also gotta go with Neutral Milk Hotel's King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1

Back when I was 11 to about 13, that was the song that my mom's boyfriend and I would sing along to at least two days a week on the way to my bus stop for school. Just belting it out, not giving a shit if I sounded like crap.

It always was an evocative song, but now it definitely has an added aspect of nostalgia. I had a fairly lonely adolescence, so any song that really makes me recall that time accesses some of those old feelings. But also that song was emblematic of what I did love about that time, and the family I had then.

Backwardsname on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ryan's posts in general make me wish that a thread creator could selectively delete posts

Jesus man

just

just like a pure dog-shit generator

Like some chinese factory the size of a small city that just pumps out nothing but rank canine feces

Backwardsname on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's probably not conducive to the topic at hand

But it's a kick-ass song

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My post made backwards realize that all other songs will be inferior to california gurls and posteing them in the same thread as that masterpiece would just be a disgrace

I totally agree delete them all

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Please ignore the completely unrelated image in the video. Seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOLMoTLFEyA

Silven on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    aw that is adorable pipe

what is the backstory with your other songs

I wanna know why these songs mean a lot to folks
    Well Keep Quiet moves me because it's one of those amazing "I will not be told what to do" anthems which always do it for me, and the performance is really really good at conveying it and the lyrics are amazing.

Somewhere, from West Side Story is one of my favourite pieces of music ever written, because it's simultaneously hopeful and hopeless. When Tony and Maria are singing that to each other, it's almost as if they know they're lying, but they don't want to admit it. And Tom Waits just nails it in every way. Plus there's a note in it on the flugelhorn that breaks my heart. A single note! (2:09)

Kentucky Avenue is one of a breed of songs that speaks to me the most. Songs about romanticised childhood and cherishing simple friendships. This is a song about a kid doing and saying everything he can think of to cheer up his friend. It's noble and innocent and it's something I can always relate to, no matter if I'm the one who needs cheering up, or the one doing it.

The same reasons why this song by the Eels is hands down, my favourite song, lyrically at least.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUg9nHU9LBk
    Musically it is because of how it starts as a single guy playing a simple chord progression on a clean guitar, and pretty much every 8 bars, another supporting harmony or rhythm or counter melody is just layered and layered on top and it ends up being such a lush, magical sound, like a sombre parade marching through an abandoned town.

#pipe on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    First song of the album that changed my life by the band that changed my life. If ever I am feeling depressed or sad I just throw on this album and sing every single word at the top of my lungs and I feel better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U5XUj3DDb8

This song just makes me happy. So so happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4G-nGYxWW0

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
This discussion has been closed.