As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need some networking help

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
So ok, I have a problem with ports. I forward them and nothing happens. Basically I am trying to get the ports needed for wow downloads to work better, as downloads are slow as hell and I know it will be similar for Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 so I'd like to nip this in the butt now.

I followed all the instructions on portforward.com for my router (Netgear WGR614v9) and how to set up a static IP in Windows 7, but I think I'm still missing something or didn't configure it right. Basically when I use a port check tool it can't access that port and it gives me my IP and its not the IP I set up for static IP. Would that be something I need to change in my router perhaps? Any suggestions are appricated. Thanks in advance.

Bucketman on

• Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If it says that your IP is not the same as the static IP you set up, then you didn't set your static IP properly. When you go to start -> cmd and type ipconfig, does the IPv4 Address entry match what you typed in to this window:

eHk2w.png

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    runethomasrunethomas Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are you sure you have a Static IP? not everyone has them. Check with your ISP, and you can just add the service if you need it.

runethomas on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What IP address does it show you?

Having a static public IP is not a problem. Most people don't have them. You are trying to forward specific ports from your router to a static internal IP, which is set up as theclam stated.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bucketman wrote: »
    So ok, I have a problem with ports. I forward them and nothing happens. Basically I am trying to get the ports needed for wow downloads to work better, as downloads are slow as hell and I know it will be similar for Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 so I'd like to nip this in the butt now.

I followed all the instructions on portforward.com for my router (Netgear WGR614v9) and how to set up a static IP in Windows 7, but I think I'm still missing something or didn't configure it right. Basically when I use a port check tool it can't access that port and it gives me my IP and its not the IP I set up for static IP. Would that be something I need to change in my router perhaps? Any suggestions are appricated. Thanks in advance.

Have you used whatsmyip.org? That's what I use for port scanning. If it says port is closed, it means you didn't set up the forwarding right.
    If it says it timed out, it means your firewall/router did forward the port, but either to the wrong place, or your computer isn't listening on that port.
    I wrestled with that for hours trying to set Diablo 2 up for LAN play over the internet. I even had a helpdesk lady from ISP on the phone for like 30 minutes before I realized I was wasting her time because I wasn't checking if the port was open while I was actually hosting a game so it just timed out.
    oops.jpg

edit: Yeah, the static IP address you're setting would be for your computer, and would not be the same address any internet based port scanning tool would see.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png