As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

late to the party - Gamecube games, Zelda, Qs

citriccitric Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
So my wife and I got a Gamecube. Animal Crossing is relaxing. I'm starting to remember that I Don't Like Mario.* But Zelda -- THERE is hope, right? But WHICH Zelda should we get? Which is the most fun? I don't care if it's cell-shaded or has "adult Dark Link with realistic fluid dynamics blood-spew engine." I think my friend found Majora's Mask really frustrating because of some time element thing. Since this is for my wife, I don't want it to be super frustrating...

Besides this -- what else? What are the really badass games? What RPGs aside from FF and Baldur's Gate are out there? We're thinking about Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2....

Our old favorites included Ratchet & Clank, Soul Calibur, and Dynasty Warriors. Actually, we still own those. But is there anything on the GC to compare, to compete, to extend those?

* It would be so difficult to create a character with even less personality that I'm convinced it was a happy accident on the part of Nintendo, discovered with the N64, and encouraged since the late 90s by the wallet of the conservative / Walmartian segment of America. Like waking up in the morning to realize you can go mano-a-mano with the Mickey Mouse franchise if you're willing to sacrifice every vestige of artistic ambition. And then doing so, sublimely.

No, we need no more tires.
citric on

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, if you want easy, WW is the way to go. Keep in mind it's also fairly boring in some parts like with the sailing.

TP isn't too much harder, and I enjoyed it more. That's all I can tell you.

Magus` on
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I liked the sailing in Wind Waker. I also really like just wandering the countryside in Oblivion and collecting alchemical ingredients, finding caves without actually going into them and hunting for nirnroots.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I liked the sailing in Wind Waker. I also really like just wandering the countryside in Oblivion and collecting alchemical ingredients, finding caves without actually going into them and hunting for nirnroots.

Yeah some people really get into stuff like that. I didn't mind the sailing, it gave me an adventurous feeling.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wind Waker is a lovely game to start with, until you get about halfway, but hey that's what the internet is for.

I also must mention Metroid Prime, my personal favorite. You'd be crazy not to get this for like $10.

I dunno about PSO I&II, it's pretty much ancient by now. At least consider Tales of Symphonia and Paper Mario 2 for your RPG fix. I'm guessing you own a DC? Because Skies of Arcadia is excellent.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you liked Soul Calibur, can't go wrong with Soul Calibur II, eh? Get both Zeldas.

And man, I'm getting deja vu with this topic. Didn't we just have one of these the other day?

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    citriccitric Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tipoffs as to lesser-known or older games that are good would also be really welcome. I've scoured through the "most popular" and "top rated" lists a bit, but I'm sure there are off-beat gems or older worthwhile games I wouldn't hear about...

citric on
    No, we need no more tires.
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    citric wrote:
    Tipoffs as to lesser-known games that are good would also be really welcome. I've scoured through the "most popular" and "top rated" lists a bit, but I'm sure there are off-beat gems or older worthwhile games I wouldn't hear about...
    DONKEY KONG JUNGLE BEAT

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Chen wrote:
    citric wrote:
    Tipoffs as to lesser-known games that are good would also be really welcome. I've scoured through the "most popular" and "top rated" lists a bit, but I'm sure there are off-beat gems or older worthwhile games I wouldn't hear about...
    DONKEY KONG JUNGLE BEAT
    YES

THIS IS THE RIGHT ANSWER

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pac-Man Vs.

You'll need a GBA (anything but a DS or a Micro will work) and a link cable.

It's multiplayer Pac-Man. Whoever has the GBA is Pac-Man and can see the entire field on the GBA. All other players (up to 3) control a ghost and can only see a subset of the field that is near them.

It's the best version of Pac-Man I've ever played, and it alone, sells me on the GBA->GCN link cable.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    RESIDENT EVIL 4

Bitch, zombies comin' up the hell right now!

...etc

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pikmin 1 and 2. They are both good enough that you should own them both.

Viewtiful Joe is wonderful and if you can find it I would also recommend P.N.03. Its not for everyone, but it is damn fun.

Also, Chibi-Robo.

Veevee on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    YesNoMu wrote:
    And man, I'm getting deja vu with this topic. Didn't we just have one of these the other day?

These threads are good for the soul.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    YesNoMu wrote:

By my count, there have been four other "Gamecube recommendation" threads in the past couple of months.

Here are the others:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073844521
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073843658
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073842382
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073840516

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Also just got a gamecube! Never had one, never played any gc games... anything recent? (Pouring over all the old threads now)

Akinos on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nope, those threads are all pretty much up to date. You're not going to find much new coming out on the GC.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well why not? Is there a new system out or somethiing?

Maybe with backwards compatibility? Hmmm

Akinos on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Akinos wrote:
    Also just got a gamecube! Never had one, never played any gc games... anything recent? (Poring over all the old threads now)
    Hahaha

Hahahahahahaha

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Akinos wrote:
    Also just got a gamecube! Never had one, never played any gc games... anything recent? (Pouring over all the old threads now)

There's a new shmup coming out soon called Radio Allergy. Looks interesting. And cartoony. And it'll launch at $20.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well, you know, besides Twilight Princess.

(If that's not what you were laughing about then I really am out of the loop, HALP)

Akinos on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You might be able to find new copies of Battalion Wars for around $15usd.

Gamerankings link.

It's a little cumbersome control-wise, but the early levels are pretty easy. I have yet to finish it though, as with all my games.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Akinos wrote:

(If that's not what you were laughing about then I really am out of the loop, HALP)

He is laughing because they really don't make Gamecube games anymore.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    apotheos wrote:
    Akinos wrote:

He is laughing because they really don't make Gamecube games anymore.
    jclast wrote:
    There's a new shmup coming out soon called Radio Allergy. Looks interesting. And cartoony. And it'll launch at $20.

Right up my alley! Don't laugh because I can't afford a Wii, only a $10 gamecube :cry:

Akinos on
  • Options
    Robo BeatRobo Beat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you like RPGs, I would highly recommend Skies of Arcadia Legends. Even if you've already played through the Dreamcast version as I had, the added content makes the purchase worthwhile. If you haven't played it, you should slap yourself for not doing so and go hunt down a copy.

I would stay away from the Phantasy Star games, as they're getting a bit long in the tooth and the online community was pretty lifeless even when I played two years ago. Plus, it can get quite repetitive, even for an MMORPG. One can only slaughter marshmallow peeps for so long before it gets old.

Ikaruga is one of my absolute favorite games on the Gamecube, and always comes highly recommended in threads like this. Rightly so, I would say.

Paper Mario 2 is an awesome RPG, and manages to give the Marioverse some personality in the process.

Get both Zeldas. They're both awesome.

Also Alien Hominid, Beyond Good and Evil, and F-Zero GX.

Robo Beat on
    This is not the greatest sig in the world.
    This is just a tribute.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sorry, didn't mean to be an ass. Apotheos hit the nail on the head. I have and would recommend Resident Evil 4, P.N. 03, and Zelda: Twilight Princess.

People seem to enjoy F-Zero GX.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Renzo wrote:
    P.N. 03

Wait a minute...

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Akinos wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    P.N. 03

Wait a minute...
    What? I like it.

Renzo on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jclast wrote:
    Akinos wrote:

I have this on DC, if your a shmup fan, its a steal at $20, but I wouldn't necasarilly recomend it to anyone. If you have a GC, and want a shmup, track down Ikaruga before Radilgy.

LewieP on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I would say Ikaruga, P.N.03 and Killer7.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    LewieP wrote:
    jclast wrote:
    Akinos wrote:

I have this on DC, if your a shmup fan, its a steal at $20, but I wouldn't necasarilly recomend it to anyone. If you have a GC, and want a shmup, track down Ikaruga before Radilgy.
    Seems like there is a boxart:

boxart.jpg

Wii Compatible huh? Oh my!

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    BlackDog85BlackDog85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My personal favorites: Eternal Darkness, Viewtiful Joe, both Zelda's, Skies of Arcadia: Legends, Tales of Symphonia, both Baten Kaitos games, some of the classic collections (I have the Zelda, Sonic, and Mega Man/X anthologies), Smash Bros., and I really dig the styles of Ikaruga and Killer 7.

If you're looking for "not-frustrating", though, then beware Viewtiful Joe. Its not so much frustrating as much as it's "OH MY GOD I CAN'T WIN" once you really crank up the difficulty level.

But the RPG', Zelda's, Smash Bros., and Eternal Darkness would make for a fine assortment.

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
    Wii Code: 5700 4466 3616 6981 (PM if y'all add me)
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    BlackDog85 wrote:
    If you're looking for "not-frustrating", though, then beware Viewtiful Joe. Its not so much frustrating as much as it's "OH MY GOD I CAN'T WIN" once you really crank up the difficulty level.
    Oh god, is it frustrating. So few save points, so many bosses.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Beyond Good and Evil.

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've been playing Paper Mario: TTYD for the past few days. Got up to the arena part. It's really awesome, and it's getting me pumped for Super Paper Mario.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    bruin wrote:
    I've been playing Paper Mario: TTYD for the past few days. Got up to the arena part. It's really awesome, and it's getting me pumped for Super Paper Mario.

I love the Glitz Pit. More RPGs need to pay attention to Paper Mario if they're going to implement an arena area.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Pikmin.
    Pikmin.
    Pikmin.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So the Zelda GCN collecter's game with the NES and N64 Zeldas seems to be going for a pretty penny on ebay -- is it that rare? Is there anywhere else to find it for a reasonable price?

skippydumptruck on