As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D does D&D] Keep on the Shadowfell IC/OOC

InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Critical Failures
D&D does D&D

Chapter 1: Keep on the Shadowfell

Dramatis Personae

Arch.pngWhizzle Bee, Gnome Wizard extraordinaire
Played by Arch
http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1810

Percy Warren, Human Fighter without peer
Played by Amateurhour
http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2391

Sigaerin, sinister Dwarven Fighter
Played by Isidore
http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2291

Zephid, Eladrin Warlord the tactical genius
Played by Nocturne
http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2462

Eddy.pngEmma, Half-Elf Warlock, she that walks betwixt two worlds
Played by Casual Eddy
http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2464

Supporting Cast In Order of Introduction (thus far)

Marla of the Great Church An earnest young priest of the good deity Pelor who wrote you of the potential death cult issues in Winterhaven.

The events thus far

You have received a letter from Marla of the Great Church. She is a known scholar of the history and activities of demon and death cults. Witnesses have informed her a small group of death cultists were saw traveling toward Witnerhaven about one year hence. She has since learned that the head of this group is a dangerous and twisted priest that goes by the name of Kalarel. Marla naturally fears that Kalarel has set up a secret cult in the area and is conducting unholy ceremonies and has asked you to investiage.

You have embarked and are currently traveling upon the King's Road to Winterhaven.

IC/OOC

Make IC posts normally and OOC posts in spoilers. Feel free to do some RP while I prep the rest of the module for you guys.

Inquisitor on

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Questions, OOC
    How are we traveling? This is important. Are we walking? Riding? Are we in a caravan? Riding our own mounts?

Also could you put who is playing each character? Some of the sheets don't have it on there.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Questions, OOC
    How are we traveling? This is important. Are we walking? Riding? Are we in a caravan? Riding our own mounts?

Also could you put who is playing each character? Some of the sheets don't have it on there.
    Unless you all purchased a caravan or mounts you are walking as a group with no one else.

And yeah, editing that information in right now.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You find yourselves traveling down a road that hasn't been maintained in nearly a hundred years. You are traveling with your comrades in arms, fellows that you have formed an organized adventuring group together with in the past. You move across the road through a dangerous wilderness toward the small town of Winterhaven.

It is spring, and to the left and right of the road is lush grass, and beyond that trees forming into a forest. Boulders also dot the landscape surrounding the road. The wind in your face is cool and comfortable. The road beneath your feet is level. An occasional ancient cobblestone peeks through the dirt road, indicating decades of neglect. You notice footprints leading up and down the road, many of which were made by small, clawed feet.

OOC
    You may feel free to RP but also call upon making rolls for knowledge checkes and stuff. Use orokos for your rolls

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    As the group of adventurers made their way down the road, one member stood out for two reasons. For one, he seemed to be making a very deliberate effort to avoid the road proper and instead walk in the grass by the roadside. In addition, the red-robed figure was also about a head shorter than the rest of the group.

Shoes tied together and slung over his shoulder, bare feet stepping lightly around rocks and the occasional bit of debris, the diminutive figure kept up a litany of chatter, punctuated intermittently by a needling "Are we there yet?" said half in jest.

OOC
    I have my sheet on Orokos, but how do I use the service to roll? Feel free to discuss this in PMs

Arch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Emma, as she is known - though she only allows those currently present to refer to her as "M" walks in silence. Her thoughts are elsewhere. She keeps her hands tightly clasped in front of her, as though she were trying to keep a small bug from escaping from her grasp.

Her traveling companions recognize this mood immediately. She needs to burn off some "steam" - and soon.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Percy wiped what would be a small puddles worth of sweat from his shaved bald head and shook it to the ground, tugging at his armor as he complained loudly.

"Whoever the hell decided that having armor made out of lizard scale was a good idea needs to get the business end of my axe....."

He was not the biggest creature in the world, by any means. Just a hair over six feet tall though was enough to scare away most of the common folk. He also carried himself as if he was roughly twice his size, having grown up around giants, often cursing various insults in their language...

He shifted his massive greataxe over to his other shoulder, the shade coming off of it enough for Bee to walk under if he wasn't likely to get cut in half when Percy sneezed.

"What the hell are we even doing near Winterhaven anyway!? Is this even a paying job? I swear, damsels in distress are nice and all, but I eat a LOT of food, and that doesn't come cheap..."

Percy kicked one final rock off into the distance and gave a "hurumph-esque" noise as he continued to walk. He really wasn't very confrontational, he was just big, and really strong, so naturally there was money to be made out in the world...

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "There are things more important than coin, Percy. It was not mere chance that called us here."

Zephid walked with a uniform stride, one step flowing into the next, as if he were balancing a tankard on the end of his Greatspear.

He inhaled deeply, and a smirk emerged on his face.

"The spring air around these parts is beautiful, but I can sense a darkness on the winds."

His companions soon realized that it was not the nice weather that made him smile, but the knowledge that something dangerous lie ahead.

"Winterhaven. I recall hearing about such a place..."
    History Check.

To keep all the rolls in one place, should we decide on a unique name for the campaign? Because it doesn't seem to like D&D&D&D.

Also should I put checks like this in a spoiler as well?

Nocturne on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    From the Peanut Gallery:

Under the results of your roll is a "bbcode" link that will display your History Check as such:

History check: 1d20+11 21

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I <3 you peanut gallery people!

This Orokos thing is fantastic.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "A darkness in the winds?!" Sigaerin snorts, unable to conceal his disgust. "Come now Zephid. I could have told you that, you eladrin mess. You do know what's happening, don't you? We're on our way to some blighted church on the command of one of the most reputable scholar of death cults ever to exist. You don't call on a band of exceptionally well-armed adventurers to collect tithes, do you? Darkness in the wind; I'll say! We're walking into a bloodbath!".

The last word sticks in his mouth, Sigaerin unable to ascertain if he'd said it with responsible remorse or barely-contained glee.

He redoubles his efforts to stay a few paces ahead of the pack, and quickly scans the area surrounding them.
    So with a +3 to perception, I do a 1d20+3 right? Or is it more arcane than that? If I'm right, here's my Perception Check
    Perception check: 1d20+3 20

Isidore on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    On your character sheet you can click on the number to the left of "Perception" on your skills list at the bottom of the first page and it will bring up the correct roll with modifiers automatically.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    On your character sheet you can click on the number to the left of "Perception" on your skills list at the bottom of the first page and it will bring up the correct roll with modifiers automatically.
    Excellent! Apparently I got the numbers right though so I'll keep that first roll in.

Isidore on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Well, hey," the diminutive wizard piped up "looks like at least two, maybe three of us will be pretty happy if this whole 'windy darkness bloodbath' thing turns out to be the truth!"

Ticking off on his fingers, the gnome rattles on "Sigaerin will get to smash stuff and I am sure the stuff he smashes will have some gold and thus Percy can fill his belly!"

Dropping his voice, he sidles up to the rest of the group and whispers out of the corner of his mouth "Besides, it looks like M's in one of her 'moods' again, and we all know it will make everyone's lives a bit easier if she can blast something...or someone"

Arch on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Percy wasn't blind to the fact that the others, in their own way, were looking around, almost as if they sensed some danger in the air.

He sharpened his eyes, looking ahead in the distance, and perked up his ears, his hand slowly tightening around the axe handle, just in case...
    Perception: 1d20+1 19

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Emma glances at the wizard, the air between them rippling as though thick as grease. She quickly turns her gaze downwards and mutters out of clenched teeth:

"Does anyone recognize these tracks?"

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The wizard swallows hard and quickly diverts his attention to the warlock's question.

Peering down at them he mutters, mostly to himself

"These look kind of familiar..."
    Nature: 1d20+5 10

OOC
    God dammit I rolled a five?

Arch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Results of Nocturne's History Check:

You know that Winterhaven is a small town of roughly 1,000 people and that the majority of the people there live as farmers.

Isidore and Amateurhour's Perception checks

The only thing you notice is that there are a lack of things to notice. There seems to be a dearth of wild animals about you.

Arch's Nature Check:

The footprints do seem familiar to you but you just can't seem to place it. But, your best guess is that they were caused by something bipedal.

OOC:
    Sorry for not responding sooner. Tuesday nights are boardgame nights, and we usually run for 12 hours straight.

At this point I need to get a tactical map up for you guys but I need images from all of you to make tokens for the map. Or I could just make a token with a letter in them for you guys until you submit me an image I might do that.

What is the party's marching order?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If I am getting it right, Sigaerin is in the front, the rest of us are bunched together ( I assume percy, Zephid, then Whizzbee, with Emma at the read.

OOC
    The footprints do seem familiar to you but you just can't seem to place it. But, your best guess is that they were caused by something bipedal.

way to rub it in :P

Arch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    OOC
    I worked up a sketch of my character last night but didn't have time to scan it. I've been scanning a lot of the wife's art this week for her new site. What kind of size do you need to make it fit in the token, or does it matter?

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    OOC
    I can scale it myself so it works. Right now I'm just gonna make some simple placeholders for you guys though just to keep the game flowing.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Map1.jpg

OOC
    The A is Amateurhour, everyone else should be pretty obvious.

The trees are difficult terrain, the rocks are impassable.

You are currently not in initiative order so you can move as a group or freely.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Emma, being a dainty individual tends to allow those wearing armor and weapons to go on ahead of her

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh boo

Photobucket is blocked at work, which is where I was planning on doing a majority of my browsing and posting for this game :(

And I know AH previously suggested I set up a remote desktop but due to the nature of my work I can't do that

If it would be too much trouble to use imageshack (which is surprisingly not blocked for some reason), I could pull up the images on my Droid but that's a bit less useful

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Google image hosting works well, too.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Map1.jpg

OOC
    Does this work for you guys

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sigaerin (as drawn by some Warhammer concept artist somewhere)

I'd change the size and recolour the hair myself but I can't get at photoshop for like two weeks so it's super large and his hair is Cliche-Red instead of white.

Isidore on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    works for me

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Works splendidly, thank you!

I will get you a more in-character icon soon

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My real life has gotten very busy and won't let up until after PAX. We will resume things then.

Inquisitor on