As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4e] Darkness and Torment (OOC)

AegofAegof Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Critical Failures
Darkness and Torment

All races bear scars from the ancient and terrible Dawn War, but the fey races still bleed from those old wounds. Of the countless fey gods who fought in the early days, only three still live: Corellon, Sehanine, and Lolth. Lolth betrayed her kin to the forces of chaos, and fled to the Underdark before she could be destroyed in turn. Since, she has warred with the King Who Crawls for dominance over his prison, far from the attentions of the Astral Sea. Trapped beneath the fangs of the World Serpent, occupied with endless war against the god of prisons and slaves, her kin thought her harmless.

Gods make mistakes.

Lolth's servants, whom she has named Drow, wander the planes unhindered. They teach her lessons by example, in ruthless efficiency and cruel success, while others watch and learn. With each new convert, the Deceiver's power grows. Torog is losing his war with the Spider Queen.

Were her machinations so simple, perhaps the gods would still have stayed their hands. The unthinkable truth has been discovered: Lolth consorts with demons, the endless, destructive creature of the mysterious Abyss. Even the wicked gods know this to be madness. Though mad and bitter Torog refused aid, divine and mortal armies marched into the Underdark to shatter Lolth's kingdom below the world.

Gods make mistakes.

Introduction:
This is a recruitment and discussion thread for a 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons play-by-post game. This is a paragon-level game for five players. I expect at least one post every week day. More is nice.
Be warned that I am still getting used to DnD, though I think I've got a handle on it.
Player's characters are all reskinned as armies of 500-1000 soldiers. This is going to require some creativity on their part and I eagerly look forward to what appears.
We've got an Underdark theme going in this game, with some possible ventures into the Fey- and Shadowdarks as well. Expect lots of Drow and Wrackspawn, though not always exactly like you might think of them. Drow especially.
I expect 8-10 combat encounters and some very rapid leveling.

Setting:
This is mostly a standard Points of Light setting, with a couple differences worth noting:
Some things about the Drow bug me, so they don't exist as a sperate race. It's a religion, now. Anyone can be Drow. Elf, gnome, eladrin, shardmind, whatever.

This game spins out of Worldship, the other game I DM. You don't need to read it, but knowing the basic premise may inform your character: The Abyss, source of demons, is a powerful but dangerous and mysterious force. The gods cannot enter, and no being sent in has ever come out. A small coalition of gods (Ioun, Erathis, Asmodeus,) have invested a lot of energy into addressing the threat the Abyss represents.

We're about a year into the war in the Underdark, and it's gone badly for basically everyone. The Underdark's not a good place for armies; most of the invaders have died in battle, gotten lost in the dark, changing landscape, died of starvation or been dragged into one of Torog's torture dens. The remaining forces are divided and scattered, and only a fraction as large as they were when they entered.

Six forces have found each other in the Shallows, where the dangers of the Underdark are less pronounced. An alliance is formed. Together, they might survive.

The alliance has named itself Aeternum Servans. Its members are:
Ander's Army
The Astral Rectilum
The Clockwork Crusaders
Oakhammer Tribe
The College Clandestine
Captain Mareka and the Warforged League

Submissions:
are closed.
One submission per player.
Level 11, with standard gold and starting items.
22 point-buy.
All the expertises you want for free.
One free paragon-tier defense feat.
Any general background. (If none fits, take one for the mechanics and ignore the fluff.)
Anything else in the character builder is fine. (Bugbears lose Oversized, though.) (I will likely allow rebuilds if you need them when Psionic Power and Dark Sun hit the builder.)
Ignore any and all alignment-based rules and restrictions.
Inherent bonuses because why not.
Put your sheets on Orokos or Myth-Weavers. We’ll be rolling using Orokos.
Flavor is as mutable as you want it to be. Goliath wizard as deva fighter? I’m okay with that.
Mechanical notes, an image for tokens, and your previous or current experience with this kind of thing is all extra credit.

Each submission is, in fact, two characters. The first and most important is the mechanical character, which will represent the player's army. The second and even more important is the viewpoint character: foot soldier, general, camp follower, standard-bearer, whatever, so long as it's interesting.

Deadline is Sunday, probably when I wake up.

Houserule:
Free Expertise feats. As many as you want. They are the boringest feats, but too good not to take.
One of the Paragon-level defense feats for free. Also boring. Too good not to take.
Rituals can be used in combat as a Standard Action. I just wanna see how that goes, really.

Questions?

I'm providing ambience.
Aegof on

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Damnit, why do you have to make such interesting settings Aegof

I'm over-extended as it is

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Look, they're Wizard's toys. I'm just playin' with them.

I may as well take this space to mention that rituals can be used as standard actions in combat. A full round is going to represent like a day's worth of fighting, so.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I spend way too long creating characters. I intend to submit a halfling artful dodger rogue. Right now at least, I'm leaning towards a character/army concept of a guild of traveling circus people who all rallied behind the guildmaster after he issued a call to arms to join the war effort. I'll post the actual character and write up a better summary with something for the POV character tomorrow most likely, but it's late now and that's causing issues.

Let me know if you think the basic concept wouldn't fit, but I think it sounds fun and I'm pretty sure I could make it work reasonably well.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't see any reason to refuse that concept. It sounds kind of wonderful, in fact.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So if I understand this correctly, the mechanics are the same as if it was just one PC, but we are going to RP it from the viewpoint of one member of an army? Are these members going to meet for RPing/planning?

I am thinking of a pack of wild wolves/bears/bulls/owls with some feral Elves and Minotaurs thrown in as a Shaman. A primal invasion of the underdark.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    WoogityWoogity Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i would like to submit a barbarian of some sort, not sure yet, or a fighter, that is a tribe of minotaur lost in the underdark, who were forced to take sides during the war. still deciding the class maybe whirling barb or tempest fighter.

Woogity on
    Rad Anvilspit hp 23/29 surge value 7 surges 1/10 17:ac 16:fort 12: ref 13: will

Henry Teach, human cutthroat

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think I'll throw down a character that can take advantage of the ritual-y goodness; right now I'm mulling over the idea of the entire campus of an arcane university taking up arms.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    hotranhotran Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Maybe its because I just finished reading the first part of the The Lost, but the idea of a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't group of wandering stealthy ass-kickers is where I'm heading for this. Still trying to figure out which set of stats would work best for it, but we shall see.

Flavor-wise, I'm thinking a group of elves that had been in a delightful forest locale, but relocated after a disaster (perhaps Lolth is to blame) to a city, and adapted to their new surroundings, eventually becoming a group of mercenaries.

Are there any particularly salient points of Worldship that we should know to best prepare submissions?

hotran on
    The Long Way Down: Clank, Warforged Fighter
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Alkey42 wrote: »
    So if I understand this correctly, the mechanics are the same as if it was just one PC, but we are going to RP it from the viewpoint of one member of an army? Are these members going to meet for RPing/planning?

You're understanding me correctly. I'm leaving interactions and ability to interact entirely up to the players. Maybe some forces will encourage visitation between camps. Maybe the leaders work together very closely. Maybe you will be an overachiever and have multiple viewpoint characters, (this is allowed, by the way,) and create a couple specifically for interacting and roleplaying with characters from the other forces. There are a lot of possibilities here.
    hotran wrote: »
    Are there any particularly salient points of Worldship that we should know to best prepare submissions?

The Abyss is terrible. Awful. The Worst. It is also mysterious and basically no one knows anything about it because no one who goes in ever comes out. Asmodeus, Erathis and Ioun are seein' what they can do about that by sending an oversized spelljammer into it.

This premise has a rippling effect that changes a lot of things in small or large ways (such as the story of Lolth, here,) but for this most part you should be fine.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am intrigued.

So like... Controller-As-Cavalry sort of idea that basically envisions the controlling aspect as flanking and herding the other armies...

This is where I'm going. I'll see if I can make it not stupid.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hey Aegof, got a question! Do rituals scale up as well? For instance, Tenser's Floating Disc is 3-feet in diameter, and would probably be represented by a single 5' by 5' square. Since one square is (I assume) representing our entire army, would Tenser's Floating Disc scale up so that it could carry one 500' by 500' (or whatever it happens to be) square worth of stuff?

Edit: Would Explorer's Fire, for instance, instead of creating a bonfire, create a conflagration?

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yes, rituals and powers and items and everything else that needs to be scaled up to be useful is.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Updated sheet, I think it is complete now.

The Astral Reticulum Shardmind Shaman

Background:
    The red star in the sky appeared suddenly. And the world trembled under it's light. It was an evil omen. It was why the wolves howled, why that two headed calf was born, why insects ate your crop of tomatoes. A farmer in Torin's crossing swears the next night after it's appearance, his whole crop of pumpkins turned vampiric and slaughtered his watermelons.
    Even those who did not easily believe rumors felt uneasy, something was afoot. Incense was burned, prayers offered, crystal balls scryed. The answer returned always the same. A crusade had begun. The gods above had declared open war on the underworld. A call was sent to the faithful, the righteous, the opportunistic. A sign would come, unmistakable. Ready yourselves.
    Then it came, just before sunrise, the red star fell out of the sky. It burned and thundered at a steep angle and collided with a mountainside, but there wasn't a concussive blast like you would expect. It burned, melted, and tunneled a path into a cavern of the underdark. A path half a thousand carts could pass through abreast.
    The star punched into a large cavern and came to a rest. White hot and tall as a hundred men. It sat still for a moment, the damp air wicking away it's heat and light. Then the sun rose and shined down through the tunnel it had just made, and illuminated the lump of stone. It cracked. It split down the middle and fell into two semi-spherical pieces. Inside was hollow, and lined with crystals of every color. A huge geode. The sunlight refracted off the crystals and shown rainbow hues touching the inside of the cavern for the first time ever. The crystals shimmered, grew, and walked away. Thousands of gemstone soldiers, seemingly fitting invasion of the inner earth, marched in perfect formation deeper into the dark.

The gauntlet of the gods had been thrown, the war horn sounded, who will take up the charge?

Viewpoint:
    Any one shard can speak psychically for the whole with anything else. It could be a single piece of crystal held by the commander of another army. A "full bodied" shardmind sitting around a campfire with representatives of other armies. Or when it wants to make an impression, several shardminds will climb on each other like ants, and create a design like a large face, or skull depending on your perspective. This figure can simulate facial expressions and move its mouth along with the words it transmits to the minds of those around it. (Think cheerleader pyramid crossed with the master control program).

Mechanics:
    Lots of tactical battle control. Nimble spirit and stalker means I can reposition spirit at will to facilitate escape or set up flanking with a free shift to allies adjacent to the SC. World serpent PP means difficult terrain adjacent to SC so they can't shift to follow or escape flank.

Token Image:
    Spirit Companion
    74px-DevEarth_SardonyxShard.jpg
    Actual PC
    rettic.jpg

Other Ideas:
    Was also thinking about an illusionist mage who made several illusory copies of himself. Enough for an army. He is a little mad and talks with himself alot, it seemed like a fun idea for a controller. But I have been wanting to try a shaman so went with the above. Anybody else feel free to steal the idea.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh wow. I think I might not have to pick five out of thirty this time.

Alkey if you find anything interesting about Lolth floating around, point me at it. I've honestly done very little research about her.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is still a work in progress for portions, but here's the bulk of it:

Ander's Army Halfling Rogue

Background:
    Ander is the guild leader for the traveling circuses of the area. He was born and raised in the circus, as was the majority of his extended family. When his cousin's troop of performers were killed by a group of raiders from the Underdark, he realized it was time to do something before it became unsafe for his people anywhere. He issued a call to arms to all the members of the guild and even reached out to the others who shared their love of the open road: gypsies, tinkers, and caravan merchants and guards.

After assembling a rather sizable force, they set out for the Underdark. With such a varied group and little to no military training amongst them, they suffered significant losses in their first few battles. Very quickly though, Ander and his advisers saw what their army's strength was and set about using it to their advantage: they baited the next group they came across into attacking, but used their greater mobility to avoid the advance and turned to strike back at a pivotal moment when the enemy had overexposed themselves.

Now, with a few victories under their belt, they have pulled back to the Shallows to re-group and plan their next steps.

Mechanics:
    Artful Dodger and the Halfling racial bonus to AC against Opportunity Attacks, along with the various other Defense boosters, make getting hit on Opportunity Attacks almost never happen except on crits. This will let me move around the battlefield relatively freely, and when I choose to, I can trigger an OA from my target and when they miss, Opportunity Knocks will give me CA against them until the end of my next turn. Depending on the availability of flankers, this will be a prime strategy likely used in most encounters.

PoV Character:
    Likely to be Ander, the halfling circus/guild master turned army leader. Still deciding on this.

Image for Token:
    a67a788d40011b113dae78945b9657f8.jpg

Other Stuff:
    I haven't played a PC much at all ever, but I have DMed previously and am currently DMing a RL/maptools campaign (more maptools than RL, but it's some of both) for my gaming group.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I expected the underdark book to have a chapter on her but there isn't much. Maybe in the plane below I don't have that book. Her realm is the demonwebb pits not so much the underdark. The only interesting things I discovered were any race can be "Lolthtouched" and get the black skin and some powers like the Drow. And that there is some dispute over whether Lolth turned from the war with the Eladrin and invaded the underdark, besting the king that crawls and taking the choice territory from him. Or if the King saved Lolth and the Drow by offering an escape form destruction.

It also seems like she is constantly manipulating the Drow to keep them from becoming too powerful. Sabotaging those that gain too much support from the Drow society. This lead me to believe that if Lolth was ever given a blow and lost power, the drow would fill the power vacuum, and things wouldn't really get any better for people in general. Almost as if Lolth is keeping the Drow in check, like she is more amused by their infighting than preparing any invasion of the surface. And is content to let it stay that way. Then again she could rival Tiamat for deception, so who knows?

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    licwidcakelicwidcake Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll make an army of dwarf fighters or paladins tonight. They can serve as the front line of the armies. The perspective will be from one of the sergeants leading one of the units in the army.

licwidcake on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Considering making a battlemind or perhaps a warlock? Not sure yet!

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I cleaned up the OP a bit. A bit more information in the Introduction and Setting sections. Also a little bit on the houserules I'm using.

Alkey: Yeah, the Underdark's information is really more about Drow society than it is about her, isn't it? Oh well. We can infer a lot based on what we're given there, at least.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I have a question about DM behavior. How do you treat spirit companions? Will NPCs treat it like a normal PC? Attacking it at every opportunity and avoiding OAs. Or will they ignore it knowing that even a hit could have no effect? I ask because there are some feats that effect things like SC defenses, that would be useless if the DM metas enough. I don't have a problem either way, but I think it could have enough effect on the build to be worth knowing.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Depends on the enemy and the situation, really. Torog's Wrackspawn, for example, are too crazy with pain and devotion to think too clearly and will likely attack the companion unless driven to do otherwise. Most of Lolth's forces are too clever to waste their time, though.

Two days left and not a lot of sheets. Is anyone going to need an extension?

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think I'll be able to put the sheet up tomorrow or late tonight. It's the first week of school and the last week of my summer job, so I've been unusually busy.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The College Clandestine

Background
    A strange hazing practice. One of the quirks one had to simply put up with to study at one of the premier institutions of magical study in the world. Charming, really, in its own little way. That's how students thought of it, at first. Some would not question it throughout their careers. Some, as their magical knowledge grew, guessed at some part of the truth, but the knowledge did no more than dig at the back of their minds like a rat in a hole. Some few tried to escape it, and whether they did or no we cannot say, because they were not heard from afterwards. All of them, however, without exception, were blinded at first by the promise of power. That's what magic represented, after all, and that's why they'd come to the College.

Some students noticed that same brand on the forearms of all of the faculty. It was also present on every member of the non-teaching staff. When questioned, their faces would become drawn and a deprecating smile folded itself over their lips. It was laughed off, typically, but the truth was that something had been too good. Call it the money, if necessary. The money had been too good.

When Headmaster Abraxas announced that the day had come for the school to achieve its highest purpose, there were those who balked, of course. He had only to remind them, however, of the oath of fealty they had sworn when they came to the school, and the magical geas that compelled that oath, the symbol of which was branded into the forearm of every last one of them. On more faces that you might have guessed, there was weary acceptance.

Almost all of the College's store of residuum was expended to create a Planar Portal. They stepped through the shimmering tear, into the Underdark.

Mechanics
    The College specializes in illusion, charm, and psychic magic of various kinds, representing their concentration on the "pure" disciplines of the mind. Mechanically, the college is an Orb of Imposition wizard, focusing on controlling effects. Besides charm effects, the College also has access to a number of teleportation powers, furthering its control agenda and representing its specialty in teleporting magic. Vistani members of the divination faculty allow the College some versatility in swapping its daily or utility powers to fit the situation once per day. The College also has access to a number of useful rituals and a respectable arcana score for making use of them.

POV Characters
    Headmaster Abraxas
    An imperious and ancient eladrin, he is the leader of the college and rules it with an iron fist. Abraxas struck a deal with Asmodeus in exchange for magical power, and the terms of that deal are what catapulted the College into the Underdark. Abraxas was building an academy, yes, but he was also building an army. Abraxas represents some daily spells specifically, such as Summon Succubus.

Kalac Trin
    A tiefling prodigy, she is in de facto command of the spellcasters of the College. She resents Abraxas' control and would actively rebel against it if she had any hope of success. Her ambition is to recover enough residuum to fuel another Planar Portal ritual to take them back to the surface. Even should that happen, however, she knows Abraxas would never allow it. Kalac is a genius of teleportation magic and a fiery combatant--she often directs the college in the use of encounter powers such as Sequester and Twist of Space.

Derin Maret
    A student who's had some martial experience, Derin is nominally in charge of marshalling the students for the low-level but useful offensive magic needed to survive the horrors of the Underdark. Derin tries to keep up morale among the illusionists and evokers, worn weary from the strain of constantly applying their magic, but his own goodwill is crumbling. He represents the at-will powers Winged Horde and Thunderwave.

I think there might be at least one or two more, and some might arise during play. Okay if they get added later?

Image:
    Wizard.JPG

Saurfang on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gof, I love your premise and I might send something in.

(Also I assume you're the same person from the CMC forums.)

Xagar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Xagar wrote: »
    Gof, I love your premise and I might send something in.

(Also I assume you're the same person from the CMC forums.)

haha yeah I am. Small Internet!

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I looked through the rituals but couldn't come up with one that would of been useful during battle. I think I ended up getting shadow bridge, because I thought it might be useful for getting over/around some terrain effect. I expect many a chasm in the underdark, don't disappoint!

Some that seemed good on the surface, like ghost form or the one where you summon eight owls to pick you up and fly, specifically state that they come with some combat penalty or end if you act or get attacked.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The College Clandestine has an interesting ritual list. It's notably lacking in things like healing rituals, though. And in the Underdark, where civilization tends to either be absent or hostile, things like Brew Potion or Enchant Magic Item could be useful. Maybe not worth a standard, but still.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    A good point. I wasn't sure how much survival/subsistence would play into the game, so I'll edit the list accordingly. I won't be able to do so until after I get back from vacation tomorrow, though.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I did make up a rogue, but got sniped on that, so I present:

Captain Mareka - Battlerager Fighter (Son of Mercy)

Captain Mareka came to the underdark leading a posse of halflings to track down and bring to justice one of their clan that had a bit of a prediliction for sacrificing young halflings to Lloth. The many battles they faced during the search left Captain Mareka the sole survivor, but along the way he picked up a rather useful troop of warforged to help him continue his search.

Captain Mareka cares about little except justice, and left to his own devices with only an army of mindless automata to talk to, he has a rather twisted idea of what consititutes the law.

So, viewpoint character is the dwarven captain mareka, who rides around on the shoulders of one of his army of warforged.

Edit: Oh, a token:
    master-blaster_288x288.jpg

And that token tells my that Mareka is a halfling now, not a dwarf, but the fighting mechanics are all about the warforged, so it makes no difference to the sheet.

soxbox on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Have some ideas kicking around (apparently just before the deadline too), so I'll see if I can't whip settle on something tonight to apply with.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ritual-wise, the two ones I'd want to keep for combat applications would be Bloom (difficult terrain in a burst 20) and Magic Circle. I'll definitely edit in Raise Dead and maybe another utility one.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Clockwork Crusaders

Background:
    Our kind was always considered odd. Strange by our kin's measurings and love of the woodland realms, nicknaming us the "Leafless Ones". Well pfah! We're quite happy in our stone and metal cities, thankyouverymuch. Besides, just look at what you can do with enough iron and oil and gears and springs and a little touch of magic and coal: Big metal men, small metal men; metal men that walk, metal men that [strike]crash[/strike] fly; tiny metal men that take care of your laundry, huge metal walls that fall over onto neighbours you don't like! Occasionally metal things that explode, but hey, omelettes and broken eggs right? Right!

Now where was I...our city was nice and peaceful in a backwater section of the 'verse, just where we liked it. Travellers came and bought our creations while we just went on our merry old way inventing all manner of new and fabulous things! Then came the war, a terrible thing. Lots of places burned or were erased outright from the marauding hordes. Our craft took a militaristic turn then, crafting weapons of war to keep our homes safe and secure. The fighting would never come to us, we figured, but just in case we should ensure we have enough protections in place that they'd have to think twice about attacking! And so we dug in, secure in the thought that our devices would protect us, help us weather the storm until the fighting ceased and we could go back to making cute and lovable things.

They came in the night, slinking and slithering like Her minions' are wont to do. There were just...so many and their tactics were vile and full of trickery. Half of our carefully laid defenses just fell apart from sabotage, while the other half were tasked with trying to keep us safe from hundreds if not thousands of creatures solely bent on ripping us asunder. We put up as good a fight as could be hoped for but the best we could do was evacuate as many onto the remaining airships as possible before putting our burning town behind us, adrift in the world for the first time in decades. Our inexperience with the outside world, our overconfidence at our own craft, and our unforgivable naiveté at our isolationist mantra cost us many lives and our home, but they would not be repeated. Partly out of necessity and partly out of a sense of duty to those we let down, we swore not to repeat the mistakes that nearly led us straight into destruction. Accepting outside help to at least rebuild and resettle those who could not fight, at the first opportunity we pledged our bows and mechanical soldiers to neighbouring armies seeking to drive straight into the Underdark and cut off Her head at its source. We had come a long while in those years, but we weren't going to sit back and let that tragedy happen a second time. No, we were going to fight.

Mechanics:
    Artificers first and foremost with an extreme speciality in crafting lumbering metal creations of all shapes and sizes. While trained in all manner of alchemical solutions to bolster allies and mitigate harmful effects, their metal creations (comprising half of the army's numbers themselves) are some of the sturdiest and most deadly ever seen within the Multiverse. When not creating metal constructs, the Clockwork Crusaders are otherwise peppering their opponents from afar with crossbow bolts.

Point of View:
    Jansen 'Jan' Steamsprocket, Master Tinkerer and head of the Crusaders. While one might not expect this diminutive personage to be much of a war-fighter, combined with his tendency to ramble at length about the most obscure tangent, Jansen has successful led the Crusaders to a number of impressive battlefield victories (mainly through some brilliant tactical manoeuvres of the Crusaders' constructs using what one would swear is a modified portable chessboard). Endowed with a brilliant intellect, his awkwardness at regular conversation aside, he is known to be extremely dedicated to the cause of ridding the world of these rampaging Drow, willing to places the Crusaders' forces at the forefront of battle to spare his allies any casualties.

Picture/Token:
    janjensen.jpg

[strike]Token[/strike] and character sheet incoming (as soon as I finish tinkering with items).

Edit: character sheet updated!

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm going to submit a ridiculous ass wizard soon! Don't close submissions!

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Right, I'm off to bed, finally. Any last minute sign-ups have 7-8 hours to get in.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I didn't realize a wizard had already been submitted so instead of stepping on anyone else's toes I submit...

Oakhammer Tribe - Human Barbarian Adroit Explorer

Background:
    The Oakhammer tribes had always had their fair share of encounters with Underdark denizens. Their home, the high forested mountains of Oakhammer, was dotted with several caves that descend deep into the earth. It has long been a rite of passage for Oakhammer men to enter these caves and return with proof of victory over unnatural beasts. This usually came in the form of a giant spider's venom sac or trogg scalps, but occasionally stranger and less identifiable things.

The tribes in these mountains have a belief in balance and apply this to every aspect of their existence, including warfare. When a tribe gets more powerful than the others, it is their duty to strike out and provoke the other tribes out of complacency and into warfare. The tribes never massacre each other and through this back-and-forth combat all are made stronger. So when the Drow cultists appeared in those dark caves, performing their rituals and taking from the land, the Oakhammer tested their strength. The Drow did not respond with balance.

They came after the barbarians with abominations never dreamed of in the natural world. Most of the tribes resisted and were killed, scattered, or dragged off by twisted cave monsters. Those who the cultists could catch were shackled and ensorcelled by beastly tentacled things and led deep into the caves for some nefarious purpose.

Ologeon Peak-Climber was one of the few who had escaped the massacre and quickly organized the other survivors. Their lands now scarred and putrified and nearly all of the women and children captured or dead, the Oakhammer life of balance was no more. The survivors decided to band together under Ologeon and track the slavers to take vengeance.

This they did. The spirits were with them as they swiftly caught up to the marching slavers, engaging in skirmishes to free their allies whenever possible. Their kin were ultimately brought to a great altar in a dark, ancient city. The fight for liberation was bloody, but the Oakhammer people made it out of that evil city with more of their people than they lost, though they were driven deeper underground.

This is how it was for months: these simple people cut off from everything they are, working their way out of this spiritless place, occasionally finding stragglers and survivors from other armies and integrating them into the tribe. They have finally found themselves in The Shallows and have realized that the Underdark is where balance now calls them, so they will ally themselves with these other warriors, attack the Underdark, and keep attacking until the lesson is learned.

Mechanics:
    Charge, charge, charge! Pretty straightforward build. They just go from enemy to enemy trying to annihilate them. Charging gets a bunch of boosts and doesnt incure OA.

Point of View:
    Ologeon Troggbane, chief of the Oakhammer people, is the tribe's oldest and most powerful warrior and tends to have a hands on approach to dealings, though he will sometimes send his scion, Thogeon Peak-Climber, to represent the tribe and act as a liaison between the various factions within the tribe.

Token:
    male%20samnite.jpg

I have plenty of experience with 4E. My only PBP experience is the Dark Sun game I run... which I should probably update...

smeej on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I woke up early for some reason I guess.

So instead of choosing between the two leaders, I've decided to take everyone and go with a six person party. That, to review, means:

Leaders:
    The Astral Reticulum
    The Clockwork Crusaders

Strikers:
    Ander's Army
    Oakhammer Tribe

Controller:
    The College Clandestine

Defender:
    Captain Mareka and his army of Warforged

So come up with a name for your combined forces, if you like. I'd suggest giving each other's sheets a once over. And thank you for giving this odd little game a chance.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yipee!

Looks like a good fun time. I am now tempted to pickup a Reparation Apparatus to make Captain Mareka's army unstoppable killing machines.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm excited to be a part of this! I'll see if I can't make my sheet more party-friendly, but I probably won't be able to change things up until late tonight/tomorrow. I think I picked up Iron Defender--maybe that represents a device on loan from the Clockwork Crusaders.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Eeeee, I'm excited. If there's anything I should change about my sheet, lemme know. It's equal parts flavor and optimization (Adroit Explorer is about the most perfect flavor I could thinik of).

We need a cool coalition name.

Also, I might add a civilized or bard who was rescued by the tribe as a POV character. Because I like 13th Warrior.

smeej on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Not so good with creative names on such a...diverse group.

Also :( at the dearth of summoning feat/item support, but then I knew that coming in.

Aegis on
    Characters