As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Online high school - homeschooling that doesn't suck?

• Options
    agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    Man, I hate the 'Kids need to learn how to socialize in high school' argument.

The point of a learning facility isn't to provide a social setting for kids, it's there to educate kids with the most up to day education.

You want your kids to socialize? There's plenty of venues for such things outside of the classroom. If your kid priority in school is to be 'cool', then your kid is missing the freaking point.

On the same token, one of the biggest disservice your can do for a child to give them a shitty education. If your only purpose in homeschooling a child is to make sure they believe that God gave mankind bolt action Remington rifles to fight dinosaurs and kill homosexuals, you need your kids taking away.

That's not what I (can't speak for everybody else) mean when I say that school presents and opportunity to socialize. I mean that it presents and opportunity to develop and hone social skills. You interact with non-parental authority differently than parental authority. You get put into teams with kids you don't like and still have to do the assignment. Stuff like that.

I will argue that they'll get more oppertunities, and better experiences, of those social skills in places like 'Summer Camp' and whatnot.

Because four weeks is obviously enough.

Honestly, if you live in a place where homeschooling isn't the most retarded option, you need to move to a place that isn't a hellhole.

agentk13 on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    agentk13 wrote: »

The point of a learning facility isn't to provide a social setting for kids, it's there to educate kids with the most up to day education.

You want your kids to socialize? There's plenty of venues for such things outside of the classroom. If your kid priority in school is to be 'cool', then your kid is missing the freaking point.

On the same token, one of the biggest disservice your can do for a child to give them a shitty education. If your only purpose in homeschooling a child is to make sure they believe that God gave mankind bolt action Remington rifles to fight dinosaurs and kill homosexuals, you need your kids taking away.

That's not what I (can't speak for everybody else) mean when I say that school presents and opportunity to socialize. I mean that it presents and opportunity to develop and hone social skills. You interact with non-parental authority differently than parental authority. You get put into teams with kids you don't like and still have to do the assignment. Stuff like that.

I will argue that they'll get more oppertunities, and better experiences, of those social skills in places like 'Summer Camp' and whatnot.

Honestly, if you live in a place where homeschooling isn't the most retarded option, you need to move to a place that isn't a hellhole.

All the people I know who were homeschooled had skills that were far and beyond their peers, and they had social skills that were equivalent to their peers. But hey, I guess your education isn't complete unless you ditch class to smoke cigerrets behind the gym, am I right?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

All the people I know who were homeschooled had skills that were far and beyond their peers, and they had social skills that were equivalent to their peers. But hey, I guess your education isn't complete unless you ditch class to smoke cigerrets behind the gym, am I right?

All the homeschooled kids I knew were social retarded kids who thought evolution meant animals spontaneously metamorphosed into new animals.

Anecdotal evidence is fun!

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yet 51% of Americans believed that Humans were created by God.

Yeah, public education is really doing its job....

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Imagine how much higher that number would be if we all learned science from Mom.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

You seem to be missing the point.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Imagine how much higher that number would be if we all learned science from Mom.

Which wouldn't happen, because there are standards to education that are enforced.

Unless you're talking about hillibilly fuckwits, then let me repeat myself:

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Reading through the thread, my favorite argument is "you don't have to be homeschooled at home, you can do it in groups with single teachers for each subject." So, basically, you can get the exact same thing as a school except for the real teachers and classes that don't teach that Jesus rode a tyrannosaur.

agentk13 on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Which wouldn't happen, because there are standards to education that are enforced.

Unless you're talking about hillibilly fuckwits, then let me repeat myself:

And how strictly do you think those standards are enforced by the people doing the teaching? Currently there is no penalty (aside from a kid with a terrible understanding of science) for straying from the curriculum. The state won't come and take your kid while saying "You suck at this; kids need an education!"

If that's how it worked then nobody would be allowed to "unschool" their kids. Which would be awesome because unschooling is pants-on-head retarded.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Reading through the thread, my favorite argument is "you don't have to be homeschooled at home, you can do it in groups with single teachers for each subject." So, basically, you can get the exact same thing as a school except for the real teachers and classes that don't teach that Jesus rode a tyrannosaur.

Clearly you had a poor education.

Jesus preferred the speed and maneuverability of a raptor.

jesus_on_raptor-jpg.jpeg

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I'm confused, what does this mean?

Does it mean '51% of Americans are creationists'?

I mean, I believe in some sort of higher power which may have created everything but from an evolutionary standpoint (ie: Science is right but since I believe in a god it would have created whatever humans started as). Would my vote count towards this?

Sipex on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

It's not public school's job to take a position on the existence or non-existence of God.

Part of the reason many people homeschool is because of their feeling that the culture of public schools is hostile to their beliefs and values. The whole issue of creationism versus evolution is just a part of this. Other things, such as the relative acceptance of homosexuality, perceptions that history is being taught in a revisionist manner and the feeling that religious belief is discouraged, all lead parents to conclude that homeschooling is needed to raise their kids in line with the parents' preferred moral and religious beliefs.

I don't agree with their views on this, but I support their right to homeschool if they feel the public schools are a negative environment.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »

It's not public school's job to take a position on the existence or non-existence of God.

Part of the reason many people homeschool is because of their feeling that the culture of public schools is hostile to their beliefs and values. The whole issue of creationism versus evolution is just a part of this. Other things, such as the relative acceptance of homosexuality, perceptions that history is being taught in a revisionist manner and the feeling that religious belief is discouraged, all lead parents to conclude that homeschooling is needed to raise their kids in line with the parents' preferred moral and religious beliefs.

I don't agree with their views on this, but I support their right to homeschool if they feel the public schools are a negative environment.
    So long as they're actually receiving an education.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Of course. But I haven't seen any concrete evidence that homeschooling leads to worse academic results than public schools.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited August 2010

Of course. But I haven't seen any concrete evidence that homeschooling leads to worse academic results than public schools.

This is all I've found, can't search too long as I'm at work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeschooling#Criticism_of_supportive_achievement_studies

In otherwords, mixed results, and neither side can say definitively. Given the importance of getting a good education, I would think standards a good idea.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

But you should never sacrifice quality of schooling simply for socialization, particularly not when there are other, better options more suited for the learning style (or abilities or disabilities) of the student.

Just because the opportunity is there doesn't mean it's worth taking, if you have to sacrifice the point of school in the first place.

And once again, a lot of the benefits you list - interacting with non-parental authority, working with kids/people you don't like - you can get that outside of school, very very easily.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

By time alone I'd say that public school is better for it. You're working with teachers (non-parental authority) 5 days a week in traditional school for 9 months out of the year. You're working with counselors at summer camp for a reduced portion of the summer at camp.

To me the main socializing experience of school- especially middle school- was just shared misery. You only really had time to be with your real, close friends outside of school. Inside school, with kids you barely know, Kids don't really have anything to talk about except all the stuff that bugged them. And a lot of that was other kids, so you get these crazy rumor circiuts, and a rediculous pressure to fit in and be cool. If someone had told me in 7th grade that i could skip school and learn from home for the next 3 years, i would have been ecstatic.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pi-r8 wrote: »

By time alone I'd say that public school is better for it. You're working with teachers (non-parental authority) 5 days a week in traditional school for 9 months out of the year. You're working with counselors at summer camp for a reduced portion of the summer at camp.

To me the main socializing experience of school- especially middle school- was just shared misery. You only really had time to be with your real, close friends outside of school. Inside school, with kids you barely know, Kids don't really have anything to talk about except all the stuff that bugged them. And a lot of that was other kids, so you get these crazy rumor circiuts, and a rediculous pressure to fit in and be cool. If someone had told me in 7th grade that i could skip school and learn from home for the next 3 years, i would have been ecstatic.

Learning social skills is more than hanging out with your friends. Its learning to deal with superiors and people you don't like, not to mention learning to handle the social pressure of something like school with the rumors and such.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Learning social skills is more than hanging out with your friends. Its learning to deal with superiors and people you don't like, not to mention learning to handle the social pressure of something like school with the rumors and such.

In that case they should actually teach you this stuff, instead of just throwing you in to the jungle to fend for yourself. The only person you can really ask for help about social stuff there is your family, so we're essentially homeschooling the kids social skills anyway.

Basically I don't think that a bunch of 12-15 year olds should be forced into close proximity with each other for 10+hours a day with very little supervision.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Except those social pressures leave kids with horrible body images, low self-esteem, and lasting emotional and physical scars from bullying. Forcing kids to "learn to deal with it" by throwing them amongst a group of their vicious peers is not a good way to go about it.

I don't know what your life is like, but generally when we reach adulthood, we stop using insults like "Thunderthighs" or "Pizza face". Why on earth would we need kids to go through that to deal with something that doesn't happen in the same way once they're out of high school?

And for the last freaking time, you can get socialization outside of school, and chances are it will be hugely more positive. You can interact with superiors and people you don't like, outside of school.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

In that case they should actually teach you this stuff, instead of just throwing you in to the jungle to fend for yourself. The only person you can really ask for help about social stuff there is your family, so we're essentially homeschooling the kids social skills anyway.

Basically I don't think that a bunch of 12-15 year olds should be forced into close proximity with each other for 10+hours a day with very little supervision.

why? And you have a ton of supervision in most middle school/high schools.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010

...How do kids still get beat up, teased, taunted, bullied, if there's plenty of supervision?

Alternatively: There are a lot of adults around. But there is not much supervision.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »

...How do kids still get beat up, teased, taunted, bullied, if there's plenty of supervision?

Alternatively: There are a lot of adults around. But there is not much supervision.

yeah, this. Public school teachers have a specific job to do- teach their class- they're not going to go around policing the hallways, or the school grounds, or listening in on kids' private conversations.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Most of which takes place between the time at school and home, which is a problem. But I don't see how the proper response to social pressure and hardship at school is to isolate them from it. Its not like social pressure and bullying going away when you leave highschool, the names and language just change.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010

This is kind of the worst-case scenario:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Phoebe_Prince

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited August 2010

Most of which takes place between the time at school and home, which is a problem. But I don't see how the proper response to social pressure and hardship at school is to isolate them from it. Its not like social pressure and bullying going away when you leave highschool, the names and language just change.
    And the viciousness goes away, and the raging hormones go away, and you mature hugely, and you learn a lot more about yourself, and you become a lot more comfortable with your personality and your body...

Yep. Nothing changes.

Sarcasm aside: FOR THE LAST TIME, you don't isolate homeschoolers or webschoolers. THEY CAN STILL SOCIALIZE. THEY CAN STILL GO OUTSIDE. THEY DO KNOW WHAT "THE SUN" IS.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

And the viciousness goes away, and the raging hormones go away, and you mature hugely, and you learn a lot more about yourself, and you become a lot more comfortable with your personality and your body...

Yep. Nothing changes.

Sarcasm aside: FOR THE LAST TIME, you don't isolate homeschoolers or webschoolers. THEY CAN STILL SOCIALIZE. THEY CAN STILL GO OUTSIDE. THEY DO KNOW WHAT "THE SUN" IS.

I'm not saying they can't be socialized. I'm saying the socialization they get is different and not necessarily adequate.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it's only a problem if the webschoolers become furries and apply to art school.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    it's only a problem if the webschoolers become furries and apply to art school.

I'm assuming the software used to do the schooling automatically blocks Deviantart.

And we can probably bet that the students spending their day online are going to learn anatomy pretty well.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

That isn't the argument being made by anybody. It's more like, you have a better opportunity to learn valuable social skills if you don't spend your school time with one of the two people in the world you think you're the most precious little guy ever.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

That isn't the argument being made by anybody. It's more like, you have a better opportunity to learn valuable social skills if you don't spend your school time with one of the two people in the world you think you're the most precious little guy ever.

Pretty much this. You can learn how to socialize with people you like when you're home schooled, but there is more you need to know than that, which is learning how to deal with people you don't like. You get ample practice handling social pressure and people who you don't get along with in an actual school.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yep. Nothing changes.

I'm not saying they can't be socialized. I'm saying the socialization they get is different and not necessarily adequate.
    And I'm saying the socialization they get in middle school, for example, is overwhelmingly negative. In high school it's not much better. Personally I prefer the fact that I had "inadequate" socialization in middle school, versus my little sister's experience, but y'know, different strokes I guess.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yep. Nothing changes.

And I'm saying the socialization they get in middle school, for example, is overwhelmingly negative. In high school it's not much better. Personally I prefer the fact that I had "inadequate" socialization in middle school, versus my little sister's experience, but y'know, different strokes I guess.

We'll chalk it up to different opinions then.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's pretty easy to avoid socializing at school. If kids don't want to socialize, schools not going to make them.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    agoaj wrote: »
    It's pretty easy to avoid socializing at school. If kids don't want to socialize, schools not going to make them.

Depends on how you define socialize. If its hang out with friends and go to dances then yeah sure. But just interacting on a day to day basis with other students and teachers is going to do develop some social skill set.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Pretty much this. You can learn how to socialize with people you like when you're home schooled, but there is more you need to know than that, which is learning how to deal with people you don't like. You get ample practice handling social pressure and people who you don't get along with in an actual school.

I'd rather my (hypothetical future) child develop their social skills in a non-school activity, or volunteer work, or a part-time job.

Because then if it goes past "somebody you don't like" into genuine harassment or abuse, my child and I will have more tools available to stop the harassment or abuse (including, but not limited to, finding them a different activity/opportunity/job to go to).

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Feral wrote: »

I'd rather my (hypothetical future) child develop their social skills in a non-school activity, or volunteer work, or a part-time job.

Because then if it goes past "somebody you don't like" into genuine harassment or abuse, my child and I will have more tools available to stop the harassment or abuse (including, but not limited to, finding them a different activity/opportunity/job to go to).

I won't deny that more needs to be down to cut down on bullying.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

And I totally agree.

Ultimately, though, our final weapon in any social interaction that turns unhealthy is to terminate the interaction. This might not be easy (as in the case of quitting a job), but it's at least possible.

In high school, it's not really possible, unless options like homeschooling and online education are available. The only other alternative is to go to the district on bended knee and ask, pretty please will you let us bus our child across town to a different school? They may or may not say yes, and the environment at the other school may or may not be better.

(I'm skeptical of that as an option, largely because I think the high school environment generates unhealthy social interaction, but that's largely, again, based on my anecdotal experience.)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My high school class was cool.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited August 2010

And I totally agree.

Ultimately, though, our final weapon in any social interaction that turns unhealthy is to terminate the interaction. This might not be easy (as in the case of quitting a job), but it's at least possible.

In high school, it's not really possible, unless options like homeschooling and online education are available. The only other alternative is to go to the district on bended knee and ask, pretty please will you let us bus our child across town to a different school? They may or may not say yes, and the environment at the other school may or may not be better.

(I'm skeptical of that as an option, largely because I think the high school environment generates unhealthy social interaction, but that's largely, again, based on my anecdotal experience.)
    I'm simply arguing that a degree of negative interaction is needed for the development of social skills. Of course there is a line that shouldn't be crossed though.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg