As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Damn it, how will I ever get out of this labyrinth?

zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Social Entropy++
This man left a 1,904 page long Suicide Note on the internet

I have a friend who attempted suicide and even though she's past it she still debates with me, repeatedly asking the question "Why should I live?" And I was raised by very good parents and had a great childhood (unlike her) so my answer is always the same: she should live because there's still so much she could see and do, and even if life gets fucked up every now and then there's always people who care about her.

See to me there's just so much out there to experience, that's why we live. To survive it even if suffering is inevitable.

But this guy, he REALLY meditated on the subject. It makes me wonder if I'm being ignorant on the whole subject of suicide. Maybe I don't understand it.

So I made this thread. So we could discuss the suicide note itself, all of what it brings up, and contemplate the great perhaps

PasscodeSig.png
zimfan on

• Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Always figured if I were to kill myself I'd end up writing a note like that for a few months prior to acting.

Hard not to at least write something down.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't kill myself.

It would destroy my little brother, and I can't do that to him

Everyone else would be fine and get over it eventually

I don't know if he could.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Asking a friend about it he tells me that "Suicide is the ultimate form of power because it gives you control of your life."

If you're going to be leaving you might as well write a note for your family or people who actually cared about you. Still though, it seems a bit selfish to me either way.

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There is not any inherent, intrinsic reason for me to be alive. I gotta make up my own.

And that is okay.

edit: Also, skimming the table of contents and chapter titles of his note, this dude was kind of a head-up-his-ass douchebag.

Fire Truck on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    suicide is a su i cide

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    tldnr

Hunter on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    labyrinth.jpg

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited September 2010
    Suicide is the ultimate selfish act, yes, but it's the most selfish act one can participate in (outside of perhaps killing everyone else in the world to have it to yourself). I'm reading through this "note" and it's a decent foray into modern philosophical thought on death. Really interesting stuff.

To what your friend says, this guy goes into that on a slightly more clinical level:
    "Overcoming the “will to live”, then, represents one of the final steps in overcoming the provincial and “primitive” life instincts probably inherited from our evolutionary past, i.e. inclinations towards patriarchy, authoritarianism, sexism, kinism, and racism. It is not only a contribution to civilization but a culmination of the progress of civilization, that is, the application of reason to human existence. Only when the will to live itself is civilized, can one be free to acknowledge that reason itself does not dictate a bias towards life."

Essentially it was once natural to assume nothing in your life could change because of fate or natural biology, it was once natural to assume your king was your god, or as a woman to assume your husband your ruler. Now, thanks to Nihilism or something greater than nihilism we can fight against the order of life itself as an important act; according to this guy.

Dyrwen66 on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    I thought this thread was going to be about the Minotaur.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    jesus why

t shoe yes exactly

Beasteh on
    edited September 2010
    also: this guy's picture is that of an asshole

he has the face of a man who would create a webpage about his suicide for others to read, all making that expression and shit

this man discovered the new rick roll, and for that he is to be both commended and damned

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    there is no way i am going to read even a single page of what that guy wrote

suicide is not something i can begin to comprehend

Beasteh on
  • UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Existentialism in dis thread.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    this guy sounds and looks like a mega douche

oh noooo i am living off a giant inheritance oh woe is me.

Suicide is for cowards. There is always something you can do other than offing yourself.

edit: exactly anjin.

Langly on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    An introspective minotaur.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    committing suicide makes you a loser unless you're like 200 years old, and even then you better have something crazy that makes you horribly fucked forever

it is the ultimate form of giving up

and it is dumb

Raneados on
    edited September 2010
    for those who doubt the rick roll claim, one of the titles is "The Seditious Genius of the Spiritual Penis of Jesus"

Calamity Jane on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    man is there anything less appealing than trying to have a rational discussion about suicide on the internet?

maybe actual suicide? depending on how you're feeling.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    you know I think it might be possible that some people commit suicide because of Problems and instead of reviling them for their cowardice we might maybe be kinda sad that nobody gave them the help they needed

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited September 2010
    Anytime someone goes on about how selfish and cowardly suicide is I just want to throttle their silly goose necks. Fucking astounding levels of ignorance all up in.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
    edited September 2010
    like for example all this tough love "suicide is for cowards" shit

that's real helpful there. especially after the person's already dead!

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited September 2010
    Umaro wrote: »
    Existentialism in dis thread.

Nihilism.

Existentialism makes sense.

Fire Truck on
    edited September 2010
    yeah you other guys, yeah

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited September 2010
    there is never, ever, any good reason to kill yourself. if you think you've hit rock bottom you are wrong.

Langly on
    edited September 2010
    if i killed myself, it'd probably be after i shot up a mcdonalds.

i'll take a glance at this later, though holy shit that's a lot of pdfs dog could you at least put em up in a html page so i don't have to...

oh wait

Calamity Jane on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I guess I'm okay with it if you are very old or horrifically disabled or in chronic physical pain.

Muse Among Men on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    there is never, ever, any good reason to kill yourself. if you think you've hit rock bottom you are wrong.

well I wouldn't fault people for being in unimaginable and incurable pain every day committing suicide

or vegetables, or some of the more debilitating diseases

but beyond that, yeah pity party

Raneados on
    edited September 2010
    In all seriousness, since I am not a religious man, the idea of dying is pretty terrifying. I don't know what the hell is going to happen when I die so I'm going to live as long as I can.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited September 2010
    In all seriousness, since I am not a religious man, the idea of dying is pretty terrifying. I don't know what the hell is going to happen when I die so I'm going to live as long as I can.

amen to that

Raneados on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Raneados wrote: »

well I wouldn't fault people for being in unimaginable and incurable pain every day committing suicide

something something and the Bell Jar.

That fits I think. Losing your hands or most of your senses.

Muse Among Men on
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    why is it that people are pretty willing to say that debilitating physical pain is worth committing suicide over but debilitating psychological pain is not

satansfingers on
    edited September 2010

Terminal illness? But aside from that I would agree, it's never a good idea. However, it not being a good idea doesn't translate into the people who choose it being worthy of ridicule. The human mind is complicated, and with some empathy or some experience in the matter it's not too difficult to understand how someone's thoughts could end up on suicide, and doing the mental gymnastics necessary to convince them self that it's a Good Idea.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
    edited September 2010
    A new antidepressant is on the market, it's called "Chin Up!"

It consists of a guy who doesn't understand depression telling you to stop being sad! IT'S BRILLIANT!

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited September 2010

Strangely enough, if anyone in the media or anywhere else read this essay, they'd know there is a reason and this guy gave it pretty early on in his essay:

"Challenging every living value by willing death is how I will test this question and how I will test this question is the experiment in nihilism."

He's literally testing the philosophical limits of nihilism and he did it by suicide. This isn't a typical suicide, it's an experiment by a crazy person who reasoned himself into it.

Dyrwen66 on
    edited September 2010
    committing suicide makes you a loser unless you're like 200 years old, and even then you better have something crazy that makes you horribly fucked forever

it is the ultimate form of giving up

and it is dumb

Nah. There are all sorts of reasons for suicide, some more justifiable than others, some undoubtedly related to mental illness, some informed by cultural values, some just related to having a long, shitty spot in your life that you could probably get past.

Getting mad at suicides does absolutely no good for someone contemplating it or who had a suicide attempt, and it's absurd to get mad at someone who actually offed them self, in the long run. Though getting mad at a dude who committed suicide can be an important part in getting past it for his friends and family.

Fire Truck on
    edited September 2010

i guess i don't think of being a vegetable as suicide, since you're already dead (i think). But yeah my wife has instructions to pull the plug if that happens.

Langly on
    edited September 2010
    although as I get very old, I'm sure I'll be lying in my bed surrounded by loved ones

a life of adventure behind me

and if i get to be like 200 and like that, I'd probably see death as being the next adventure, and I'll probably be okay with it then

Raneados on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    sometimes, when i'm standing on the roof of a tall building or on my balcony on the 8th floor, this bizarre thought pops up in my head telling me to jump, but then it goes away. nothing serious, because life is awesome, but i wonder where it comes from

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited September 2010
    i am no fatalist but i do believe that people can be so chemically imbalanced that sometimes the decision to kill themselves is not their own

your priorities are fucked if it's some kinda blame game

Calamity Jane on
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A new antidepressant is on the market, it's called "Chin Up!"

It consists of a guy who doesn't understand depression telling you to stop being sad! IT'S BRILLIANT!

i'll take ten

satansfingers on