As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[X-Men], now saving the city on XBLA and PSN

1235»

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The original X-Men Arcade had infinite continues, too. They were just premium content.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i beat this game like 10 times the other day and got all the achievements, but i'm not sure HOW i got the mystique one, as it won't pop at all for my friend

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    143999 wrote: »
    The original X-Men Arcade had infinite continues, too. They were just premium content.

Quoted for awesomeness

Tommatt on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    man, the real charm of this is playing with some friends and laughing at everything. even though the voice acting is different it's still pretty bad. we had one moment where we kept throwing ourselves into the pit to hear the generic yell over and over.
    also laughed pretty hard when the ice queen first jumped down and started to talk and then cyclops just punches her in the face and knocks her flat.

overall i'd say this is worth the price of admission just to throw down with some buddies. amazingly got most of the achievements with some oddly cooperative randoms, so now i've only got to beat it in 25 minutes and beat magneto a few more times and i'll be 200/200

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    NOBODY MOVES THE BLOB

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I never actually beat this in the arcade

I'm wondering if it's worth it or if I'm just being tricked by memory like I was with TMNT 1989

Which was neat for the thirty minutes it took to beat and then I never played it again

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah its a game you wouldn't mind wasting a $1 on at a pizza fun time lol zone. The game is pretty similar to TMNT how you fight only one enemy with color swaps and a well known X-Men villain at the end of the level if you were lucky. You aren't expected to beat it and only play it while waiting for your ROFL pizza feast.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Orogogus wrote: »
    When an American release of a game is nerfed, doesn't that usually mean it has the hard difficulty removed and less bullshit on the CPU's part? Or is it different between console and arcade games?
    More often than not, when there's a difference, the U.S. version has been harder, or had more bullshit, or some other new way of screwing you over.

forty on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    if anyone wants to try and get 6 of us together tonight to take a run through, Im game.

Im so, so sick of not getting the Mystique achievement because some random jackass skips the cutscene. It won't pop until you actually SEE Professor X turn into Mystique.

Also my favorite part is easily "UNFORTUNATELY THAT WAS NOT MAGENETO, THAT WAS MYSTIQUE! MAGNETO IS SOMEWHERE ELSE!"

(Magneto is 2 feet away)

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    if anyone wants to try and get 6 of us together tonight to take a run through, Im game.

Im so, so sick of not getting the Mystique achievement because some random jackass skips the cutscene. It won't pop until you actually SEE Professor X turn into Mystique.

Also my favorite part is easily "UNFORTUNATELY THAT WAS NOT MAGENETO, THAT WAS MYSTIQUE! MAGNETO IS SOMEWHERE ELSE!"

(Magneto is 2 feet away)

Two days ago I got into a 6 player game and saw the entire cutscene, and I still didn't get the achievement. I think that one is a little finicky.

Valleo on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm actually having a lot of problems with all the achievements. They're bugged as hell.

I've now beaten expert twice and still not gotten the x-pertise achievement.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'll start a game up around midnight EST tonight on XBLA. Tag's in the OP or in my sig. If anyone has a cabinet preference speak up, otherwise I'll just go with the American version.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    We've got our Turtles. We've got our X-Men. Now Konami just needs to release the Simpsons beat-em-up and we'll have a complete set.

Also that Aliens vs Predators game.

And the Dungeons & Dragons one.

But this is a great announcement.

there were at least two dungeons and dragons ones and they were amazing. I love me some Turtes and X-men but I think the D&D ones were the best.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That Punisher/Nick Fury arcade beat-em-up was pretty great too - the Genesis port was vastly inferior.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    We've got our Turtles. We've got our X-Men. Now Konami just needs to release the Simpsons beat-em-up and we'll have a complete set.

there were at least two dungeons and dragons ones and they were amazing. I love me some Turtes and X-men but I think the D&D ones were the best.
    I loved Tower of Doom, but I could only play it at a place I went to occasionally. It felt like it had just a bit too much nuance (in moves/mechanics, items, spells) to really get a good grasp on, considering its button mashy, quarter gobbling, go go go arcade format.

I think I only ever played Shadow over Mystara once, at a Tilt arcade in a mall that I only went to one time.

forty on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    That Punisher/Nick Fury arcade beat-em-up was pretty great too - the Genesis port was vastly inferior.
    Just like how the console version of any beat-em-up was always inferior. :(

In a sort of reverse of that, the Battletoads arcade game was the game I always wanted the frustrating console Battletoads games to be.

forty on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    forty wrote: »

I loved Tower of Doom, but I could only play it at a place I went to occasionally. It felt like it had just a bit too much nuance (in moves/mechanics, items, spells) to really get a good grasp on, considering its button mashy, quarter gobbling, go go go arcade format.

I think I only ever played Shadow over Mystara once, at a Tilt arcade in a mall that I only went to one time.

See the nuance is what I remember enjoying. YOU GOT RPG IN MY BEAT 'EM UP! :)

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    gnodabgnodab Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I kind of wish these arcade ports with infinite lives would keep track of how much hypothetical money you would've spent on a given session

gnodab on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

In a sort of reverse of that, the Battletoads arcade game was the game I always wanted the frustrating console Battletoads games to be.

I'm still waiting on my port of the actual ninja gaiden arcade game.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

I've argued in favor of certain aspects of the arcade version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time, but usually wind up shouted down.

This.

Get on it, Rare. Bring this to Xbox LIVE Arcade already.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited December 2010

See the nuance is what I remember enjoying. YOU GOT RPG IN MY BEAT 'EM UP! :)
    Right, the nuance was great, but it felt, I don't know, "wasted"(?) due to the format? It's totally the kind of game I would like to experiment with to figure things out, but at the cost of 50 cents a life (and me being like 13), it didn't really lend itself to the kind of experimentation the game deserved. When I spent my money on it and eventually died to various things, it felt like there was a lot I was missing but with no reasonable means of picking up on it all.

Obviously a console port would have allowed for much better delving into the game's depth, but considering it only ever came out for Saturn, and only in Japan, well, fuck Capcom.

I've argued in favor of certain aspects of the arcade version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time, but usually wind up shouted down.

This.

Seriously. I didn't want to spend my childhood hours falling off a rope wire into a chasm or crashing hover bikes into walls. I just wanted to punt rat-men into orbit.

forty on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    With EA having The Simpsons license, don't expect the Konami arcade game anytime soon.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Those D&D games came out for Saturn too. My brother and I had to import them but it was totally worth it.

HeraldS on
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Tommatt wrote: »

I'm still waiting on my port of the actual ninja gaiden arcade game.

Isn't that on the Wii Store?

toolbert on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Those D&D games came out for Saturn too. My brother and I had to import them but it was totally worth it.
    Too bad no one owned a Saturn. Also, it turns out it didn't come out on the Dreamcast and I was just huffing glue in my post above. I'll fix it since Saturn and Dreamcast are pretty well interchangeable when it comes to install base.

In 1999, Capcom released both D&D arcade games as a 2-disc compilation on the Sega Saturn called Dungeons & Dragons Collection in Japan. Dungeons & Dragons Collection was never released in the United States and Europe due to the Saturn's poor financial performance in both regions.

forty on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

This.

Seriously. I didn't want to spend my childhood hours falling off a rope wire into a chasm or crashing hover bikes into walls. I just wanted to punt rat-men into orbit.

I'd like to meet whoever was responsible for NES Battletoads, just so I could ask them why they hated children so much. Is a simple side-scrolling beat-em-up too much to ask for?

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    With EA having The Simpsons license, don't expect the Konami arcade game anytime soon.

Is this because it's not Konami, or because it's EA?

If it's the former, Ubisoft has/had Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and I think Activision has X-Men, yet both of those worked out.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!