As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guns] FIRE EVERYTHING!

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Basticle wrote: »
    I stockpiled over 20 thousand rounds of ammuntion (admittedly half of that was .22) over the last year in order to not have to buy ammo for at least 4 years. I regret nothing.

Also in case of zombie apocalypse you're golden.

So win-win.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, uh, I'm real confused. Got this in:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/mossberg-500-28-inch-barrel-with-vent-rib.html

and the piece you screw in to the magazine straight up doesn't line up. Like... maybe I have an extended magazine and didn't realize it.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Yes, it appears I have a mossberg 500a tactical. Huh.

• Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I did the same thing with my 870. I bought a 22" barrel and the rings don't line up with my tactical. I ended up cutting about a 6" piece of PVC pipe to make an extender. I used it once or twice and it works fine, but goddamn if I don't look stupid.

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

You mean a "tacticool"

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I stockpiled over 20 thousand rounds of ammuntion (admittedly half of that was .22) over the last year in order to not have to buy ammo for at least 4 years. I regret nothing.

Honest question here.

If "shit hitteth the fan" how are you going to transport 20K rounds? Also do you have them in humidity proof storage?

That's NOT judgement, please don't misunderstand me. Fellow gun enthusiast here and I keep a small cache of ammo, but it's all an amount I can carry. I like asking people who have large amounts of ammo, why?

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Honest question here.

If "shit hitteth the fan" how are you going to transport 20K rounds? Also do you have them in humidity proof storage?

That's NOT judgement, please don't misunderstand me. Fellow gun enthusiast here and I keep a small cache of ammo, but it's all an amount I can carry. I like asking people who have large amounts of ammo, why?

I don't think it was a SHTF decision but rather a market decision.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Honest question here.

Because I got it at a good price and I can shoot all I want and not worry about stupidity in prices for a very long time. Why should 'how much I can carry' even be a consideration? I can carry all I need for a day at the range.

• Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Honest question here.

Because I got it at a good price and I can shoot all I want and not worry about stupidity in prices for a very long time. Why should 'how much I can carry' even be a consideration? I can carry all I need for a day at the range.

Exactly this. Ammo prices for the last 18 months or so were the lowest they've been in at least 4 years. Even with the theoretical progun political mood of the next few years, prices arent going to ever go lower.

If society colapses i got bigger problems than how much ammo i can carry.

Also i keep everything in MTM ammo cans with bags of silica inside.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

Honest question here.

As said before, when people say buy in bulk and stack deep it's because it makes it cheaper to shoot more often.

• Options
    I'd just swap out the magazine, but the one on there is on reeeeeal good. Scratched it a little bit trying to get it off with a towel and some pliers.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Hey guys, what do I need to know about scope mounts? Yesterday, I was shooting and I had my rifle rested on my sandbag setup (forestock and buttstock) when a gust of wind caught my hard case and threw it into the rifle, knocking it over. It just fell a couple inches from the bag to the bench - nothing is broken but will I likely need to re-zero it? Is loctiting the screws a matter of course for things like this - i.e., rifle with a tapped receiver for a fixed scope mount

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    Built another, when does it end? (protip: never)
    eb82QKzl.jpg?1
    3HsU6HKl.jpg

PSA Middy 16" upper
    Midwest Industries G3 lightweight Mlok 15" rail
    PSA MOE+ lower
    MBUS sights
    Black Rain Ordnance 3.5lb drop in trigger
    kns anti rotation pins
    Strike Industries flat wire buffer spring

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Picked up a S&W Victory 22 today.

Takedown screw is impossible to remove. Probably stripped the damn screw. Gonna try to shoot it and see if it won't heat up and loosen and get S&W to send me a new screw or just send it back to them.

Apparently it is a pretty common problem.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    I like the takedown on the victory but think its uggo. I was thinking of selling my mk3 and getting a buckmark but then they came out woth the mk4 which is awesome

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    I like the takedown on the victory but think its uggo. I was thinking of selling my mk3 and getting a buckmark but then they came out woth the mk4 which is awesome

yeah, i was tempted to post a breakdown video of it, it's amazing. Like it is a modern firearm.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    I wanted a stainless .22, the Mk IV wasn't in the budget and after a lot of research I thought the victory would satisfy the urge.

I still think it will, just disappointed I'm gonna have to get a screw from S&W if I manage to remove it or send it in for work.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Crossfire-Riflescope-CF2-31045/dp/B00HYRGSTO/ref=pd_lpo_200_bs_t_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SPNPEPBMGWSZW46KQ4TX

Anyone have an optic they like for .223 target shooting under $300? I keep hearing Vortex tossed around and saw the above.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    According to this review the Weaver Kaspa is the most bang for your buck. For less than $200 it shot only slightly worse or as well as some of the optics twice or three times it's price. I plan on getting one to put on my Mini for plinking.

I've read good reviews of Vortex, Primary Arms, and the Lucid. As far as experience with other optics, I was always issued an M68 Aim Point and I liked it.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    According to this review the Weaver Kaspa is the most bang for your buck. For less than $200 it shot only slightly worse or as well as some of the optics twice or three times it's price. I plan on getting one to put on my Mini for plinking.

I've read good reviews of Vortex, Primary Arms, and the Lucid. As far as experience with other optics, I was always issued an M68 Aim Point and I liked it.

The Savage I picked up with a bundled scope actually has the 3x9 Kaspa on top of it.

It's a good scope with clear glass, but the turrets don't adjust cleanly and it's a bit difficult to "find" the crosshairs unless you're right up on top of it.

The Kaspa can be found for like $80 on Amazon - the rifle and optic, together, were only $400 - so I was hoping to step it up a notch and find a good bang-for-the-buck 4x12 or higher magnification scope for like $200-$300.

On the other hand, it's possible that the Kaspa just inhabits a weird space in that it should be priced at $200, and then God knows glass gets $Texas priced stupid quick.

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    I've heard good things about Burris, so that may be another brand to look into. If you go with the Vortex in your link let us know how you like it. I've not heard any bad things about Vortex as a brand.

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Crossfire-Riflescope-CF2-31045/dp/B00HYRGSTO/ref=pd_lpo_200_bs_t_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SPNPEPBMGWSZW46KQ4TX

Anyone have an optic they like for .223 target shooting under $300? I keep hearing Vortex tossed around and saw the above.

Can I ask why you are going with a 6-24x on a .223?

I'd look at the 1-6x strike eagle if you are putting it on an AR and hitting targets at 50-300 yards.

If you are putting it on a bolt action .223 and hitting targets out to 600+ yards it makes sense.

furbat on
  • Options
    Dare I say we need a new thread? MOAR GUNS!?

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Takedown screw is impossible to remove. Probably stripped the damn screw. Gonna try to shoot it and see if it won't heat up and loosen and get S&W to send me a new screw or just send it back to them.

Yeah a bit of Googling tells me they're either ultra-tight or sloppy loose. Apparently they are very torque-sensitive, 40 inch-pounds and a dot of light threadlocker is a common fix?

• Options

Yeah a bit of Googling tells me they're either ultra-tight or sloppy loose. Apparently they are very torque-sensitive, 40 inch-pounds and a dot of light threadlocker is a common fix?

Just damned obnoxious, but seeing as how I've inherited a seized up Model 66, now would be a good time to get in with S&W's warranty services.

• Options
    Happy Thanksgiving :-) got a chance to do inventory with dad:

q29TrSLh.jpg

img

• Options
    I stand corrected on the Model 66, it is actually a 686.

Regardless, tomorrow I contact S&W.

I have preemptively purchased some .38 Special ammo in anticipation of getting a functioning revolver back.

• Options
    I bought the Chiappa Little Badger on Black Friday.

It's freaking cool. I'll post pics later but man it's smaller than I realized. It just folds in half and then unfolds into a solid 22lr rifle with good iron sights.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOZpy55U-jY

Muzzle-loading a .22 with pellet gun pellets and using Ramset charges to fire them.

The holes the pellets made vs. the actual .22 rounds are kind of amazing, like a laser.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Hey, we have a gun thread!

I've been interested in firearms for a while, gone shooting with friends a few times. Recently I finally got around to taking a CPL class and I'm looking into a first handgun to practice at the range with (and eventually carry.)

Looked at the Glock 43, XDS, Shield 9mm, and Ruger LC9s so far. Anything else I should keep an eye on? So far I've been feeling most comfortable with a single stack 9mm.

• Options
    mRahmani wrote: »

I've been interested in firearms for a while, gone shooting with friends a few times. Recently I finally got around to taking a CPL class and I'm looking into a first handgun to practice at the range with (and eventually carry.)

Looked at the Glock 43, XDS, Shield 9mm, and Ruger LC9s so far. Anything else I should keep an eye on? So far I've been feeling most comfortable with a single stack 9mm.

Kahr CM9/CW9. I like single stacks. I like double stacks. I've heard good things about the FNS-9c, which isn't a single.

I'm a big fan of Sig, but have no experience with their P938.

If you've got a range that does rentals or friends with lots of variety firearms, look into as many as you can!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, there's really no advice that can replace "go fire a few for a while." A lot of people swear by Glocks, and they are nice firearms, but I can't stand the grip angles on them. Different folks are going to prefer different firearms.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Yeah, there's really no advice that can replace "go fire a few for a while." A lot of people swear by Glocks, and they are nice firearms, but I can't stand the grip angles on them. Different folks are going to prefer different firearms.

Same. M&P is every bit (maybe more) reliable with a grip angle that doesn't make me shoot the floor.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    mRahmani wrote: »

I've been doing a lot of research about the Taurus PT111 (Gen 2) tonight and I think I might pick one up. Taurus used to get a bad rap for some of their handguns, this one is apparently very well made. They're also about $250 out the door if you catch a decent sale. IIRC it's a very thin double-stack.

I've heard it described favorably to the Glock 26 - one thing might be if you have large hands, you may have some difficulty operating the trigger since it breaks very close to the grip of the gun instead of further forward in the trigger guard - i.e. you would need to use the lower part of your finger instead of the pad of your finger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH3tJrK2ma4

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    Opinions are plentiful when it comes to handguns!

Personally I'm a fan of the Canik TP9 SA. It's got the glock trigger system but the Walther style and it's made in an ISO-9000 facility with great quality control and used by foreign police.

It's also ridiculous cheap because it hasn't caught on here yet like some more popular brands have.

• Options
    Also I just realized we're on Page 100 so tomorrow I'm going to make a new GUN thread unless a mod would rather do it.

• Options
    Also I just realized we're on Page 100 so tomorrow I'm going to make a new GUN thread unless a mod would rather do it.

Fuck, I was meaning to write something up and then all of a sudden, boom, page 100

Do itttttt

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    We need to get the alcohol thread up one more page so it hits 100 too, and then have a fine sending off for them, they were both started in October of 2010.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    We need to get the alcohol thread up one more page so it hits 100 too, and then have a fine sending off for them, they were both started in October of 2010.

ATF thread :+1:

• Options

ATF thread :+1:

Yeah this really needs to happen.

sic2sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.