As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Google TV - I don't get it

HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
I'm trying to understand. I want to but the more I read the less I get it. I mean, if I had DISH then I'd kind of see a point. It could search my personal content and DVR content all at once and that's neatish. Yes, it does Netflix but so does my 360 - in addition to playing games and acting as a Media Center Extender(which is a whole different thing I'm not going to get into right now).

So I have a 360 and I don't have DISH, so the remaining features I see are Amazon and ummmm... Youtube? Amazon rentals seem to average $3.99, from my admittedly brief browsing, doesn't seem to offer much HD content. I guess this is just another thing I don't get. Netflix offers one disc at a time with bluray plus streaming content for $10.99. The prices just don't work out for Amazon to make any sense at all.

What am I missing? Why all the excitement and great reviews? Are people that desperate for Youtube on their TV? Are there features I've somehow missed? Would I be more excited if I got my content via torrent?

Houndx on

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You know the joke "Google is taking over the world, one click at a time"?

I don't think it's a joke anymore.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If I'm understanding the wiki article correctly, it's more than just youtube and amazon. It wants to be a direct competitor to things like Time Warner Cable or AT&T U-Verse.

Just by hooking the device up, you'll get tv-ized versions of TBS, TNT, CNN, HBO, Cartoon Network and Adult Swim in addition to anything already received through cable/satelite.

Is there any sort of subscriber charge for this? Because (at least with U-Verse) HBO alone is $14 a month.

Tamin on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    Just by hooking the device up, you'll get tv-ized versions of TBS, TNT, CNN, HBO, Cartoon Network and Adult Swim in addition to anything already received through cable/satelite.

Is there any sort of subscriber charge for this? Because (at least with U-Verse) HBO alone is $14 a month.
    You only get anything on the HBO channel if you're already a subscriber (source, emphasis mine):
    v3.co.uk wrote:
    HBO will also run on the service. Kenghe said that HBO GO would let authenticated subscribers – it is a cable channel in the US and a Sky partner in the UK – access hundreds of hours of programming

Edit: Google TV is bringing the possibility of Android-style app development to TVs. That could lead to some interesting things. But whether that's of any great value really depends on what app developers come up with. Apps for smartphones and tablets strike me as potent because they let me do things while I'm mobile. My TV isn't mobile though. If I'm at home, what app would I want to pay for on my TV that I couldn't find as free software for my PC, which is also in my home?

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I'm really not liking the idea of Google TV and similar attempts to converge web and TV content. So far the couple news articles I've seen about it have completely glossed over the fact that you'd have to pay for it. It's not like it's going to be a free add-on to your television.

Other major concerns:

The television in the living room tends to be the only gathering place for families when it comes to watching entertainment. If it catches on, people will start demanding that internet websites and web content start being age rated.

Also, "apps" on the TV? God. Just because "apps" is a buzz word it must "do" "apps"?

splash on
  • Options
    tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you don't get it, that's fine. There a whole sub-group of geek who builds HTPCs that are probably excited about this. I was going to retire a mac mini to be a dedicated Plex box on my TV, but a shame for a $500-$600 box. Boxee box has the jump, but not the backing of an Android based community. Also, no footprint for the google TV embedded devices (read: new TVs with no set box) could very well be my solution for a zero component TV in my living area, with the larger TV with blu-ray/games in the family room.

I'm all for it. Then again, I was thinking of building an HTPC to begin with.

tachyon on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    you've never wished that you could pull up a webpage on your tv?

it's about options. yes, those other devices you mentioned do similar things, but some people don't have an xbox to stream their netflix off of, etc.

Evander on
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    Nope.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nope.

Yeah, I'm getting flashes of webTV. lol

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    excuse me if I don't believe you. there's a reason people were excited to get browsers in the Wii and PS3.

Yes, WebTV was a joke. That doesn't mean that all implimentations of the web on a television are impossible.

The ammount of time I've had to listen to people bitchign about not being able to watch Hulu in their living room begs to differ with you all.

Evander on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Which looks more or less like the features of a current comcast or Verizon set-top box. The problem with web tv wasn't that people didn't want the features at all, it was that they didn't want to pay an EXTRA fee for them.

I'm not saying that Google TV is going to be some huge succcess (I'm not sayign that it won't, either. I'm waiting to see). But to say that there is no reason anyone would want it is truely missing the mark. People DO want to watch internet videos on their TVs...

Evander on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    tachyon wrote: »
    If you don't get it, that's fine. There a whole sub-group of geek who builds HTPCs that are probably excited about this. I was going to retire a mac mini to be a dedicated Plex box on my TV, but a shame for a $500-$600 box. Boxee box has the jump, but not the backing of an Android based community. Also, no footprint for the google TV embedded devices (read: new TVs with no set box) could very well be my solution for a zero component TV in my living area, with the larger TV with blu-ray/games in the family room.

I build HTPCs and I was indeed excited reading about Google TV until I got to the page where it said I needed to either buy a special TV or a doohickey from Logitech or Sony. Have you heard there's a way to get it to work on a DIY HTPC?

wonderpug on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010

Which looks more or less like the features of a current comcast or Verizon set-top box. The problem with web tv wasn't that people didn't want the features at all, it was that they didn't want to pay an EXTRA fee for them.

I'm not saying that Google TV is going to be some huge succcess (I'm not sayign that it won't, either. I'm waiting to see). But to say that there is no reason anyone would want it is truely missing the mark. People DO want to watch internet videos on their TVs...

Actually, I'd say the problem with WebTV is that it existed in a time when not only the internet wasn't as mature and necessary to the common person as it is now (most people in 1999 didn't have or even care about broadband), HDTVs weren't a thing that people owned. Have you tried to view text or browse the web on an SD set? It's awful.

GoogleTV (and set top boxes similar to it) are attempting to bring the web capabilities of your computer, or more aptly, of your mobile devices, to your television set. Have you ever sat in the living room watching TV and thought "Man, shit, I wonder what time Mad Men is on?" and googled it on your phone? I know I have, because it's a billion times easier than using Comcast's convoluted interface to find showtimes. Now think about how much easier it would be to just type "Mad Men" on your TV, and get showtimes, the ability to set that show to record on your DVR, an IMDB link, and all of your previously DVR'd episodes of Mad Men in one place. Think of the GoogleTV as it is now as your cable box, if your cable box wasn't an awful piece of shit, and wasn't powered by older technology than printers. It's a pretty awesome concept, and though DiSH is the first provider to sign on, they almost definitely won't be the only one.

And on the importance of apps, of course it needs apps. "Apps" aren't just a buzzword, applications are central to any computing platform. On its own, right now, the GoogleTV box fills a niche. Once developers start porting their apps to the thing, it turns the TV into a central media/information portal. It is a big deal that there's finally something meant for the living room that has app support out of the box.

To be honest, I think the only thing that will hinder something like GoogleTV from taking over the living room will be the studios blocking their content from appearing on the devices or attempting to monetize them. Hulu has already blocked video from playing on GoogleTV devices. I'm sure more networks will follow until someone figures out how to end this absurd notion in the television industry that it's OK for people watch on their computers but not their TVs.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Now think about how much easier it would be to just type "Mad Men" on your TV, and get showtimes, the ability to set that show to record on your DVR, an IMDB link, and all of your previously DVR'd episodes of Mad Men in one place. Think of the GoogleTV as it is now as your cable box, if your cable box wasn't an awful piece of shit, and wasn't powered by older technology than printers. It's a pretty awesome concept, and though DiSH is the first provider to sign on, they almost definitely won't be the only one.
    Your scenario is neat and all, but I don't watch much TV. TV viewership has been dropping steadily for years. The people who still watch a lot of TV also tend to be the people who are not gadget-centric. I really doubt that there's a huge market for people who want the kind of integration on offer and are willing to buy a new TV or $300 set-top box for it. That is a major problem for this device, because a lot of its value is predicated on apps that might be created for it. Google is gambling that app developers will create the broader appeal that the device currently lacks, and I think it's a bad bet. They're not going to get the kind of install base required to attract enough developers, which means the apps won't appear in sufficient quality, quantity and variety, which means fewer people are attracted to buying new TVs or set-top boxes with the software, and it's one big negative cycle now isn't it?
    And on the importance of apps, of course it needs apps. "Apps" aren't just a buzzword, applications are central to any computing platform. On its own, right now, the GoogleTV box fills a niche. Once developers start porting their apps to the thing, it turns the TV into a central media/information portal. It is a big deal that there's finally something meant for the living room that has app support out of the box.
    Android apps will not save this thing. Many popular Android apps don't even make sense in a living room context. There could be some really good apps for Google TV. I can't think of what they'd do, and neither can Google apparently, because in their own marketing they state that "The coolest thing about Google TV is that we don't even know what the coolest thing about it will be." (Go to google.com/tv, click Take Tour, click the button in the lower right labeled "Why?"). They are literally relying on app developers to create the value proposition for them and I don't think it's going to happen the way they expect.

Look at it this way... As an Android developer, if you come up with a good app concept the only thing you're likely competing with are other Android app developers. As a Google TV developer, you're not only competing with other Google TV developers, you're also competing with every other device in the user's home. It's going to be a lot harder for app developers to come up with app ideas that the users haven't already addressed by buying something for their home that fills the need.

vonPoonBurGer on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    From a UK perspective, I'm just hoping this thing can access the major streaming services (BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, Demand five, 4oD - which is actually hosted by youtube, LoveFilm, etc). Trying to actually get those on a TV without a full-blown HTPC is currently a bit of a pain.

japan on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Now think about how much easier it would be to just type "Mad Men" on your TV, and get showtimes, the ability to set that show to record on your DVR, an IMDB link, and all of your previously DVR'd episodes of Mad Men in one place. Think of the GoogleTV as it is now as your cable box, if your cable box wasn't an awful piece of shit, and wasn't powered by older technology than printers. It's a pretty awesome concept, and though DiSH is the first provider to sign on, they almost definitely won't be the only one.
    Your scenario is neat and all, but I don't watch much TV. TV viewership has been dropping steadily for years. The people who still watch a lot of TV also tend to be the people who are not gadget-centric. I really doubt that there's a huge market for people who want the kind of integration on offer and are willing to buy a new TV or $300 set-top box for it.

I think you're generalizing pretty heavily based on your own experiences here. I know plenty of people who are gadget-centric and watch a lot of TV, and television quality has been steadily increasing over the past decade. Maybe your general Dancing with the Stars audiences aren't going to buy the GoogleTV, but people who are into premium content, quality television, and film are already taking it into their own hands to build things like HTPCs to fill this gap. They use them to store media, watch purchased content, watch hulu and netflix videos on their televisions, etc. Wouldn't a more integrated and easy-to-use zero-setup solution help to bring this kind of control to the masses?
    That is a major problem for this device, because a lot of its value is predicated on apps that might be created for it. Google is gambling that app developers will create the broader appeal that the device currently lacks, and I think it's a bad bet. They're not going to get the kind of install base required to attract enough developers, which means the apps won't appear in sufficient quality, quantity and variety, which means fewer people are attracted to buying new TVs or set-top boxes with the software, and it's one big negative cycle now isn't it?
    Android apps will not save this thing. Many popular Android apps don't even make sense in a living room context. There could be some really good apps for Google TV. I can't think of what they'd do, and neither can Google apparently, because in their own marketing they state that "The coolest thing about Google TV is that we don't even know what the coolest thing about it will be." (Go to google.com/tv, click Take Tour, click the button in the lower right labeled "Why?"). They are literally relying on app developers to create the value proposition for them and I don't think it's going to happen the way they expect.

Look at it this way... As an Android developer, if you come up with a good app concept the only thing you're likely competing with are other Android app developers. As a Google TV developer, you're not only competing with other Google TV developers, you're also competing with every other device in the user's home. It's going to be a lot harder for app developers to come up with app ideas that the users haven't already addressed by buying something for their home that fills the need.

How does something being on your TV make it any more competitive with other devices in the home than your typical Android app? Maybe location-based and navigation apps don't make sense in the living room, but large format information display apps and content delivery apps do. No one's going to use it to read a book or check in to FourSquare, but they'll probably enjoy email and internet. It also opens up huge potential for social integration in live TV like ABC's My Generation iPad app, but I understand this kind of thing isn't yet going to be enough to sell units. The point is, the potential is there.

Besides, the ability to run user-created apps doesn't mean everything you're going to use will be made by some small team who came up with a cute bird-launching game. Content providers want to excise control over who can see their content and when, and they'll be the ones developing the real killer apps for GoogleTV and similar platforms. HBO, ESPN, ABC, CBS, MTV. These are the people who want to get back into the end user's living room, and scheduled content isn't doing it anymore. On-demand music videos on your TV and stereo, like currently offered at MTVMusic? This is prime territory for TV-ification, especially if they manage to squeeze some ad revenue and metrics out of it.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    By the way, though I'm arguing in favor of the GoogleTV box here, I (like most people) haven't actually used one. So if Google's implementation or pricing strategy is flawed, then maybe this isn't the platform that will bring computing to the living room. But I do feel strongly that the idea is solid, and something similar to this with the same featuresets has the potential to be a huge hit with consumers.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Let's take a step back here for a second and recognize the market they are trying to hit.

We sit on these forums, generally, as educated techo-geeks who have their fingers on the pulse of everything technology related. As gamers/geeks/whatever we can easily pick apart the service because we have so many things already at our disposal. We don't see things like "youtube on t.v." being that big of a deal, because some of us have monitors bigger than our T.V, anyway lol.

Now, the population of "Farmvillers*" out there, this is where it gets interesting. They have enough experience with technology that they could see this as a huge and awesome thing, without realizing there are already options to do this. Remember these are people that think the "internet" is Google.

How many of you have told someone to type in a URL and they put it in Googles search field? Yeah.

So that being said, this market is huge for them. They are going to re-sell the internet to people. And people will buy it.

App wise, there are a few things that I could come up with that work that are already added.

Surf Youtube/cartoons/whatever on your T.V. and with the shake of your iPhone/Touch/Android you could auto-transfer that shit, carry it with you. With literally everything coming packaged with cameras now-a-days, broadcasting yourself is easy as shit, and with things on your T.V. combined with Google Voice/Chat/Video - the days of video conferencing everywhere are coming true.

It's a step in the right direction to start putting Google as the centerpiece for all the technology in the home. Once they own your workstation and your T.V. they own your house. That is where most people live.

Google = Skynet.
    Embrace it.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Hulu has already blocked video from playing on GoogleTV devices. I'm sure more networks will follow until someone figures out how to end this absurd notion in the television industry that it's OK for people watch on their computers but not their TVs.

First Hulu goes through the trouble to get TV shows on the computer, now Hulu can't be used to play the same TV shows on the TV. These entertainment companies are crazy.

This does come from my unique perspective but I think apps were created for mobile devices because their internet connections are too slow and costly, and because the devices aren't as functional as a traditional computer. Installing an app tries to get around these problems. If all mobile devices had broadband speed there wouldn't be the need to have these app stores.

splash on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »

I build HTPCs and I was indeed excited reading about Google TV until I got to the page where it said I needed to either buy a special TV or a doohickey from Logitech or Sony. Have you heard there's a way to get it to work on a DIY HTPC?

Haven't heard, but I'm speculating that since android apps will work with it, that it's android based. I fully expect it to either be hacked or provided by google sometime after the first hardware and updates go out.

As for the special doohickey, if that doohickey from Logitech/Sony is priced right ($100-$200, right now the Logitech is at $299, if this catches on I expect that to go down), I am willing to pay that to gain a small form factor, solid integration and minimal maintance then try and cobble together yet another atom based micro-atx box with boxee on it, or use one of my old mac mini's with Plex.

My hopes are that since it is a google venture, that the platform OS and app dev will be open, or more open, and customizable.

tachyon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Monoxide wrote:
    Wouldn't a more integrated and easy-to-use zero-setup solution help to bring this kind of control to the masses?
    Yes, it would. Will they pay $300 for it? My money's on no.
    How does something being on your TV make it any more competitive with other devices in the home than your typical Android app?
    The home entertainment space is a well-established market, unlike the mobile internet-enabled application space, which hardly existed as a market until 2008. Any app that you're going to sell into the home entertainment space is going to compete with the plethora of other products and devices already aimed at that target market. The smartphone market has been experiencing rampant growth the past few years, meaning lots of fresh opportunities for smartphone app developers. Home entertainment doesn't have anything like that double-digit growth, it's a completely different scene. The existing players are entrenched, the turnover rate on devices is far lower, opportunities for app developers are going to be fewer and further between.
    Monoxide wrote:
    I do feel strongly that the idea is solid, and something similar to this with the same featuresets has the potential to be a huge hit with consumers.
    I think any device aiming to delivering apps to the home entertainment space will need to succeed on its own merits before you could expect apps to drive adoption. iPhone was a solid seller for a full year before the App Store was launched. Apps may have driven the second wave, but they certainly didn't drive the first wave. I don't think hypothetical Google TV apps can drive the first wave of its adoption either. You need an installed base to attract developers before you can expect the kind of wide range that the App Store and Android Market display, and you need the wide range of apps before you can sell the device on the basis of its app collection. I don't think Android apps can act as a bridge because so many of them rely on mobility as a pillar of their value.

I'm not even certain that TV-centric apps have anything like the kind of potential that smartphone apps had. Smartphones can appear in many contexts. Walking around, hiking, biking, in bed, sitting on the can, on a plane, on a train, on a bus, at a concert, in a mall, on your couch, etc. Every one of those contexts has possible consumer needs that an app developer can explore. Google TV has only one context: next to your TV. I think the number of possible use cases is orders of magnitude smaller for Google TV apps. As a result, I just don't think app store lightning will strike the home entertainment market with anything like the same kind of force it had on smartphones.

vonPoonBurGer on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    $300 is one box, yes, but other boxes may be cheaper, or integrated in to the TV, or integrated in to a set-top box.

Evander on
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you don't get it, that's fine. There a whole sub-group of geek who builds HTPCs that are probably excited about this.

Well, I'm a geek that builds HTPCs and I want to be excited about it.. I'm pretty excited about getting my Ceton InfiniTV, hopefully soonish.

Houndx on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    How does something being on your TV make it any more competitive with other devices in the home than your typical Android app?
    The home entertainment space is a well-established market, unlike the mobile internet-enabled application space, which hardly existed as a market until 2008. Any app that you're going to sell into the home entertainment space is going to compete with the plethora of other products and devices already aimed at that target market. The smartphone market has been experiencing rampant growth the past few years, meaning lots of fresh opportunities for smartphone app developers. Home entertainment doesn't have anything like that double-digit growth, it's a completely different scene. The existing players are entrenched, the turnover rate on devices is far lower, opportunities for app developers are going to be fewer and further between.

I think this is the only part of your thought that I'm missing. My opinion is that the only thing we've seen close to what google is trying to do are things like the boxee box, Roku, and a scattered effort to include a netflix and youtube app in your PS3/Wii/Blu-ray player, etc. If anything, what the home entertainment model needs is a unified platform that will have a ton of backing and name recognition to get it off the ground on it's own merits, with an app store to come in afterwards to provide longevity. For some reason, that previous statement sounds very familiar...

I remember when the iPhone became more reality than rumor, much of the same things were said about it that you are saying about google tv. The phone would have to compete with the entrenched market, dominated by motorola, nokia, et al. It was overprices, under powered, an iPod taped to a razr. I'm not saying that google tv will be as much of a success as the iPhone, your point that the home entertainment market has a much lower turnover rate is true, and we will not have new feature sets to push a google tv version 2/3/4 to generate buzz and sales.

I'm rambling...but I had similar thoughts when google had a crazy idea to enter the phone market. What more could google do that the iPhone has already done for the market? I see the TV interface market to be much more of a wide open opportunity than the phone market was, and therefore, I believe they will have some success.

tachyon on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Would be nice if I could just run it over Windows(or atleast on my own hardware), nicer still if I could integrate my InfiniTV 4 tuner.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I do agree that of anybody that should be doing this, it should be Google.

It just seems... every company wants to make their own box thing, why don't they let people use real computers with the TV instead of inflexible things that you are stuck with.

splash on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    splash wrote: »

It just seems... every company wants to make their own box thing, why don't they let people use real computers with the TV instead of inflexible things that you are stuck with.

People don't want to drag a real computer in to the living room, and deal with all of the different hook-ups, and such.

Think of these boxes as "media consoles", akin to game consoles. There are those who are perfectly fine with their PC, but others who prefer a closed solution so that they don't have to think about it.

Evander on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

People don't want to drag a real computer in to the living room, and deal with all of the different hook-ups, and such.

Think of these boxes as "media consoles", akin to game consoles. There are those who are perfectly fine with their PC, but others who prefer a closed solution so that they don't have to think about it.

Power/HDMI/NIC (which I could use wireless if I wanted to but stream so much stuff, gotta use physical. Also, its about the size of a small receiver.

3 connections and small... is different from the GoogleTV or new Boxee units? Those are smaller, got me there.

Now if you wanted to argue that most people wont put up with Windows/nix as their DVR, I would agree. Thats why I'm saying I wish GoogleTV came in a software download to install yourself, IN addition to the hardware they are already releasing.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    bigwah wrote: »

Power/HDMI/NIC (which I could use wireless if I wanted to but stream so much stuff, gotta use physical. Also, its about the size of a small receiver.

3 connections and small... is different from the GoogleTV or new Boxee units? Those are smaller, got me there.

Now if you wanted to argue that most people wont put up with Windows/nix as their DVR, I would agree. Thats why I'm saying I wish GoogleTV came in a software download to install yourself, IN addition to the hardware they are already releasing.

That's kinda what I'm saying too. I wish a real computer was made easy to hook up and that a company would supply the software or operating system to integrate.

Of course I wouldn't necessarily want an ATX computer for the TV if I had a big TV in addition to a small computer monitor at a desk but I'd be great to be able to put together the hardware yourself. Also, for a great deal of people around the world who live in apartments, people should have the option to run ethernet to the TV or use their computer for two different display outputs. Just make whatever hardware or cables makes it the easiest. Why the heck do TV monitors and computer monitors still use different ports? What are these manufacturers big problem? Just make this easier. There should not be such a thing as TV or PC monitor, it should just be "LED" monitor or such. Isn't the only difference that for TV signals it will always come in at 720 or 1080 so you have to make sure to get the right resolution? Aye, I guess that already makes it one step too hard for most people...AAAAGH!

splash on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    bigwah wrote: »

We are techies. the average person is not. To us setting up an htpc is no different from setting up a bluray player, but we are talking about people who pay best buy to "install" their bluray player for them in the first place

Evander on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Here's how I look at it:

Customers want always there when they want it - on their time - entertainment.

Media owners want you to pay each and everytime you watch their content.

TV Stations want to make money selling ads.

What we are going to see very quickly is a shift from TV "From the airwaves/cable" to the internet delivering pay per view and subscription based content. These devices are the medium that keeps that big display in your living room valid once rabbit ears die for good (the theory that there is free content just floating over the air / nominal fee floating across coax)

TV stations are going to die . Just like the newspaper industry. (and if you don't believe me... television is going the way of radio - syndicated "live and local" news shows that are generically produced someplace in the midwest and fed to your house as "your news" just like morning radio shows!)

We will see re-entrenched efforts by content owners to launch their own delivery methods and the internet is the way.

Unfortunately this all will result in failed platforms, dead ends and serious pay walls.

useless4 on