As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Replacing MacBook Pro Hard Drive

ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello, all.

I'm currently on my second MacBook Pro in three years. My first one died due to what Apple told me was "water damage" (though I never spilled anything on or around the computer) and a bad logic board. Rather than shell out the money to get it fixed (since light case damage and the water effects weren't covered by the oh-so helpful AppleCare), my family and I decided it'd be more cost-effective to just buy the new model MBP.

Well, guess what. Thing has failed on me after only one year. And I went out of my way to make sure I was taking immaculate care of this one. As a bonus, my AppleCare plan has expired.

Whenever I turn on the computer, it hangs on the gray Apple logo for about five minutes before changing into a crossed-out symbol. Once in a while I can get the thing to boot by resetting the PRAM multiple times (lack of other options -Disk Utility won't come up and nothing else works) and when I have, I've run programs like Drive Genius which tell me the HD has numerous bad blocks and is corrupted. Joyous.

I haven't walked into or called the Apple store yet, though an experienced friend of mine claims a repair estimate around $200. Considering most 1 TB hard drives can be purchased for around $100 these days, I'm considering replacing the hard drive myself after I get a diagnosis to make sure that's the only thing wrong with the computer. I'd like to know from those of you here who are tech-savvy whether this sounds like a good solution to my problem, and if so, what brands of hard drives you would recommend, where to get them, etc.

I love Apple's products, but they're really starting to frustrate the shit out of me. If this problem isn't as easy a remedy as I'm hoping it is or if there are any future problems this stupid, I might consider rage-switching back to Windows...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
--John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
Zephonate on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That should really be covered by the warranty regardless of your apple care. Isn't there a 2 year limited warranty on apples just like there is on most PCs?

You can defiantly do what you want to do, but meh, it's a pain.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    That should really be covered by the warranty regardless of your apple care. Isn't there a 2 year limited warranty on apples just like there is on most PCs?

You can defiantly do what you want to do, but meh, it's a pain.

There very well could be. I haven't talked to someone with Apple yet myself. Just looking at what my options are if indeed I do have to shell out some money to repair it.

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
    --John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think the standard Apple warranty is 1 year.

If you do decide to replace the hard drive you may need to source an OSX installation disk if you don't have the install disk that came with your MBP. If you lost the media it's worth giving Apple a shout and seeing if they'll send you another disc, since retail OSX install disks lack iLife/iPhoto.

ifixit.com has some good tutorials on how to do things like drive replacement on Apple products.

Djeet on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I highly recommend testing your RAM before you go forward on that new hard drive

I've seen more instances than I can count of a faulting stick causing all kinds of random HDD errors

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    Dinosaur Equals GasDinosaur Equals Gas Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Apple computers come with a 1 year warranty on parts and labor. If you get AppleCare it extends it an additional 2 years. So your "AppleCare" didn't expire if it broke a little after a year, you either still have the AppleCare on it, or you never purchased it. Which is highly recommended on all their laptops.

The harddrive is simple enough to fix, and you should be able to do it yourself. Apple makes it easy to upgrade MacBooks, even the ones with the "non-removable" battery is still easy to do, just a few more screws.

Dinosaur Equals Gas on
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Zephonate wrote: »
    Disk Utility won't come up

I don't quite understand what you mean by this. So you boot up the computer, and the OS loads up and everything, but you can't access disk utility? What happens? Also, try booting off your install disk, opening up disk utility and running a repair (if you don't have your install disk, boot into single user mode and run a fsck. See here for apple's knowledge base article on it).

Trentus on