As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Merging partitions Win 7

CheBourgeoisNoirCheBourgeoisNoir Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I purchased a new Asus lappy a few months ago and it came from the factor with a C: "Operating System" partition with like 27 gigs on it, and a D: "Data" partition with the remaining 329 gigs. My problem is that I jumped right in installing Steam and Sc2 onto the C: without thinking about it, and I'm not concerned about about separate data partitions what with Win7 UAC permissions, and I don't want to deal with migrating all the games I have on C onto D (unless it's really not a big deal).

Question is, then, how do I go about merging my D: partition with my C: ? Or should I just start writing stuff to D: and not worry about it? Thanks guys

CheBourgeoisNoir on

• Options
    CheBourgeoisNoirCheBourgeoisNoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    All instances of that emoticon should be read delta-semicolon-slash

CheBourgeoisNoir on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i'd make a gparted live cd or usb and use it to boot

from there you can delete the second partition and resize the c: to take up the excess space

it'll probably take quite a while

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bsjezz wrote: »
    i'd make a gparted live cd or usb and use it to boot

from there you can delete the second partition and resize the c: to take up the excess space

it'll probably take quite a while

..... o.O what. You don't need to do anything complex like this.

IF you've got any data on the d drive partition, copy it off of there. If there's anything installed by the manufacturer, then things get trickier. I'm assuming not, for now.
    Steps to fix this in a sane way:

1. Once the d drive is empty of stuff open "Computer Management" from the start menu. (just type it in, it's buried a few layers deep).
    2. Once this opens, go to Storage -> Disk Management on the left hand side.
    3. Once that brings up the partition management, look at (what is most likely going to be) Disk 0, and confirm that C-drive is on the left of D-drive, and there's nothing in between them (it won't matter if there's a partition on either side of the two, just if there's something in between like a hidden recovery partition)
    4. Delete the d-drive partition (Right click on it in the map, then choose "Delete Volume" This deletes stuff. Don't do it until you're sure D-drive is empty!
    5. Once the d volume is deleted, right click on the C-drive volume, and hit "Extend volume"
    6. Make it use the entire volume of the disk, and sit back and enjoy life.

ashridah on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    it's not complex, it just involves dragging a few files to a usb and hitting reset

windows partition management has always been a pain for me compared to the simplicity of gparted, but i'm quite ready to believe it's gotten better

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg