As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finding a doctor

galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So yeah. Something's come up that I need to check out. Had a mole on my shoulder for ever, and now it's started to itch/hurt. Hasn't changed size/color, but still worrying to the point where I should probably have someone look at it.

I'm trying to find a decent dermatologist, but this is harder than it seems. Most people I'm seeing in my searches seem a bit sketchy or are more "holistic" skin care people than doctors. Is there any good resource for doctor reviews or the like? My insurance will give me a list, but no further details.

linksig.jpg
galenblade on

• Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Your best bet is to just call the ones listed in your insurance and make sure that in addition of being dermatologist, they are also Surgeons. Do they use laser or Electrocauter?

Removing a mole is very trivial task for a good dermatologist, the good ones will use anesthesia and send the thing for a biopsy.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Do you have a primary care physician? If so, you could call their office and ask for a referral to a dermatologist.

Invisible on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    I had to find one for my husband for a similar reason, and I ended up doing a search and reading reviews for every dermatologist in the area. Then I went down the list and found the one who could get him in the soonest. It was still a two-month wait.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fantasma wrote: »
    Your best bet is to just call the ones listed in your insurance and make sure that in addition of being dermatologist, they are also Surgeons. Do they use laser or Electrocauter?

Removing a mole is very trivial task for a good dermatologist, the good ones will use anesthesia and send the thing for a biopsy.

I've had a ton of moles removed, and typically my very good dermatologist just schedules me an appointment with a very good surgeon. Works fine.

Talka on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I recently changed insurance, so I don't have a primary care anymore. And the one I had been seeing I wasn't too hot on anyways.

I'm hoping there isn't going to be too much of a wait. Found a place to get a screening first, if it's still an issue I'll find someone to remove it.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg