As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

grrrrrrrrrr... hosed hard drive, need data recovery help

krushkrush Registered User regular
K... I royally fucked up my primary drive this morning. Long and short, I have two drives in my main machine, both 320GB. One was dying, so over the weekend I was moving data off of it to the primary drive. Today, I decided to reinitialize the drive (aka low level format) before I send it back to Seagate and ran HDDGuru to do it. Apparently I pointed to the wrong drive and hosed my primary drive, which I doscovered after coming back to my machine rebooting on it's own.

Now... What I'm assuming is that as HDDGuru was writing 0's to the drive, it ran across space that Windows was using and caused a fault, resulting in the reboot. If this is true, then there's a chance that quite a bit of my data is still on the drive and possibly recoverable.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Obviously, the partition table has been wiped out as is the MBR. I'm looking for a way to create an MBR, and properly partition the remainder of the drive as NTFS. Once that's done, the data should still be there, but still not accessible except by some sort of data recovery tool. Do you guys know of any recovery tools I could use to extract my data once it's at this point?

krush on

• Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I'll be adding this to my toolkit now, Thanks!

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    thanks! I'll be trying this tonight.

krush on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Recuva is a lifesaver. Quite a bit of my data is still here and recoverable. I'm just waiting to get a drive large enough to put all of the data on.

Thanks dude!

krush on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    No prob, I think we've all done this once, next time you're going to do a big format or whatever like that, unplug the drive you don't want to be destroyed, saved my ass plenty'o times.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I'll be adding this to my toolkit now, Thanks!

Nack you noticed the portable version? The one that doesn't need to be installed and that will run off a USB key?

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just yanked the .exe and tossed it onto the usb key after I installed it on my windows partition. Just like with CCleaner :D

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn