As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Connecting a PS3 to a computer monitor

YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
Hey, I'm trying to do this and having problems. I got a HDMI to DVI cable, and hooked it up between my PS3 and my monitor. My monitor only has one DVI input. I turn on the PS3, and hold down the on button to reset the video settings. My monitor has two lights on the front indicating whether anything is hooked up to its inputs (one DVI and one non-DVI, don't remember the name for the other type. The old type). When I turn on the PS3, the light for the DVI input comes on but there's no image on the screen.

So, I'm stuck. Am I doing something wrong, or is there something else I need to do?

Yougottawanna on

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey, I'm trying to do this and having problems. I got a HDMI to DVI cable, and hooked it up between my PS3 and my monitor. My monitor only has one DVI input. I turn on the PS3, and hold down the on button to reset the video settings. My monitor has two lights on the front indicating whether anything is hooked up to its inputs (one DVI and one non-DVI, don't remember the name for the other type. The old type). When I turn on the PS3, the light for the DVI input comes on but there's no image on the screen.

So, I'm stuck. Am I doing something wrong, or is there something else I need to do?

Just get one of these:

HMDI SWITCH
    $15.70

I have my PS3 hooked up to my monitor, and this makes switching between my PC and my PS3 completely painless.

Edit: Ugh, reading comprehension fail. How new is your monitor? I ask because many older LCD monitors do not support HDCP, which the PS3 needs to display a digital image (most Hi-Def TVs support HDCP)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, that's the problem. After searching around some more I found out my monitor isn't HDCP compliant. Fiddlesticks.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, that's the problem. After searching around some more I found out my monitor isn't HDCP compliant. Fiddlesticks.

They do sell converters that will let you either output your HDMI to VGA, or you can use HDFury (allows you to display HDCP content on a non-HDCP monitor). Both options are expensive enough, however, that you'd probably just want to look into putting that cash into a new/bigger/better monitor.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Component to VGA should work for you.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »

They do sell converters that will let you either output your HDMI to VGA, or you can use HDFury (allows you to display HDCP content on a non-HDCP monitor). Both options are expensive enough, however, that you'd probably just want to look into putting that cash into a new/bigger/better monitor.

100% agree - the 150 - 200 (dollar or whathaveyou) are better invested in a new screen which has all the features, than trying to cobble together a adapter solution. Plus, you can still use your old screen with your PC, if the new one is lacking inputs and if you have the space.

As a sidenote, I honestly want to murder everyone who is suggesting "use a TV-card with your console". I used such a solution for the previous generation (XBox + Gamecube, because Nintendo and MS removed all the VGA/component output options in the PAL versions - Sega's DC being the exception) and even with the DScaler Application it sucked. With the current gerneration there is no reason not to use all available "HD-options".

Dratatoo on