As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Strange Monitor Problem on Laptop

TucanTucan Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys and girls,

I've got a strange monitor problem that just started up about a week ago. It's kind of hard to explain but I'll try my best.

I own an Asus G51VX and its about 1-2 years old. Any ways, there is this bar in the middle of my screen that seems either show colours at a lower resolution OR it's just a grey bar running down the screen. The problem started to show up after I brought the laptop home from school. However, the bar only shows up on certain colours (I think?), but when I'm playing Starcraft 2 I don't see the bar at all.I'm 99% sure its a hardware problem because it's always in the same spot. I've included a picture below of what I see most of the time.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3626/desktophelp.jpg

If I just take a print screen, the bar doesn't show so I tried to recreate it in Photoshop. It's just the faint grey bar near the center that I see most of the time. Now my question is; Is it my video card or my laptop screen? Is there a fix for this problem?

Thanks in advance.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tucan on

• Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If it was your video card, it would show up when you print screened. I'd wager it's your monitor. Probably a small amount of trauma caused it. You probably can't notice it when playing Starcraft 2 because the screen is much more busy than a desktop.

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That's a problem with the screen connection. You should be able to access it by pulling the hinge covers (found a teardown of the G50, hopefully the G51 is not much different)

Try removing/reinstalling the plug. If that doesn't work, it may be a hardwire problem where the connector cable meets the screen. Don't know if this is replaceable on an ASUS laptop; you may have to replace the screen itself

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    TucanTucan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Alright thanks for the replies. I was hoping I wouldn't have to mess with my screen in any way but it seems like that may be the only solution. I'l take a look at the teardown and see how easy it is but I may just leave it because I don't want to make the problem worse.

Tucan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]