As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DHS Videos Coming To Walmart: Would You Like To Know More?

Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, CNN is carrying this story
(CNN) -- Walmart will join the Department of Homeland Security in a program called "If You See Something, Say Something" which encourages the American public to take an active role in ensuring the safety and security of the nation, DHS said Monday.

"Homeland security starts with hometown security, and each of us plays a critical role in keeping our country and communities safe," Secretary Janet Napolitano said as she thanked Walmart and the more than 320 stores who joined the national campaign Monday.

Participating stores, eventually including 588 from 27 states, will play a short video message at select checkout locations to remind shoppers to contact local law enforcement to report suspicious activity, said a DHS statement.

"This partnership will help millions of shoppers across the nation identify and report indicators of terrorism, crime and other threats to law enforcement authorities," Napolitano said.

The "If You See Something, Say Something" campaign was originally implemented by New York City's Metropolitan Transportation Authority as a simple and effective program that engages the public and key front-line employees to report indicators of terrorism, crime and other threats to authorities, according to the DHS statement.

The program has already partnered with the Mall of America, the American Hotel & Lodging Association, Amtrak, the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, sports and general aviation industries, and other organizations across the country, DHS said.

As the final paragraph says, it's not just Walmart. That said, I, for one, find the prospect that the average person on the street has a realistic possibility of providing valuable intelligence to be a dubious one at best. This makes me think of the famous posters from World War II. Somehow, though, this seems more insidious, because the aim of the World War II stuff was often to remind people working in defense industries (which accounted for a lot of people in a total war scenario) that they were privy to potentially valuable intelligence. This campaign seems more like something out of Orwell or the Paranoia RPG, encouraging people to help root out traitors. I'm also concerned about the potential for a very high noise to signal ratio in this sort of campaign (similar to the TSA screening process).

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
Edith_Bagot-Dix on

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I remember reading that Wal-Mart's in-store TV network is the most watched network in America. Their viewership just isn't counted in the usual ratings.

enc0re on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm not sure why they are saying this is a terrorism thing instead of just a "if you see someone commit a crime or think they are committing a crime, report it, you dumb fuck."

Couscous on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The "If you see something, say something" campaign on the NYC subway was a great idea. It was a well-known high crime area that was hard to police.

This though... this is "report your neighbors, citizen" 1984 bullshit. You might as well dig Joe McCarthy up, shove your hand up his dead ass and make him puppet-talk these announcements.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was thinking more Stasi than McCarthy, personally.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I was thinking more Stasi than McCarthy, personally.

It's only the Stasi if people start going over the wall to get to Target.

takyris on
  • Options
    TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jesus Christ. America comes just a little bit closer to Year Zero.

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    I'm not sure why they are saying this is a terrorism thing instead of just a "if you see someone commit a crime or think they are committing a crime, report it, you dumb fuck."

We have billboards here that say: RAPE IS A CRIME. ALWAYS.

This suggests to me that someone did a study, and the result of that study was that some people did not know this. Being that ignorant should be a crime, always; but it happens.

These billboards do not bother me. I doubt they're likely to generate a slew of false positives. I'm paying for them via the state, but it's part of an overall program that they claim to have been effective. Good on them, whatever, fine.

The Department of Homeland Security: I'm paying for them. I'm paying for people who are going to be looking for needles in the haystack reports generated about every brown person sighted near infrastructure, ever. I might even be paying for them to pay these places to host their stupid videos, as well as the design and production of those videos.

What are they projecting here as an ROI here? 'An 8% reduction in terror attacks' or some similar bullshit?

Dear DHS,

If you can't find a better use for my money, please give it to NASA.

Thanks,

AD

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dear DHS,

Thanks,

AD & Tox

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

We have billboards here that say: RAPE IS A CRIME. ALWAYS.

This suggests to me that someone did a study, and the result of that study was that some people did not know this. Being that ignorant should be a crime, always; but it happens.

These billboards do not bother me. I doubt they're likely to generate a slew of false positives. I'm paying for them via the state, but it's part of an overall program that they claim to have been effective. Good on them, whatever, fine.

The Department of Homeland Security: I'm paying for them. I'm paying for people who are going to be looking for needles in the haystack reports generated about every brown person sighted near infrastructure, ever. I might even be paying for them to pay these places to host their stupid videos, as well as the design and production of those videos.

What are they projecting here as an ROI here? 'An 8% reduction in terror attacks' or some similar bullshit?

Dear DHS,

Thanks,

AD

Really, we should be concentrating on using this stupidity to get funding for NASA. Maybe the terrorists are building a base on Mars and aiming a laser straight at Bumblefuck, ND? The only way to keep America safe is through more funding for space exploration.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yes. Perfect. America needs more useless paranoia.

In other news, this is a fucking waste of time and money.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yes. Perfect. America needs more useless paranoia.

In other news, this is a fucking waste of time and money.

o_O

Reported to the proper authorities.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Why is everyone such a civil extremist? Jesus.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    Yes. Perfect America needs more paranoia.

No other news.

o_O

Report received. Thank you for your concern, citizen

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    bowen wrote: »

Is there anything stupid you won't do obediently if an authority figure tells you to? Jesus.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    enc0re wrote: »
    I remember reading that Wal-Mart's in-store TV network is the most watched network in America. Their viewership just isn't counted in the usual ratings.

I don't know how people could, all I ever see / hear on those damn TVs is annoying commercial singing and they have like 4 commercials on loop.

Thank god they're all in the grocery side.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Is there anything stupid you won't do obediently if an authority figure tells you to? Jesus.

Grab someone's balls for freedom? :rotate:

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    Yes. Perfect America needs more paranoia.

No other news.

o_O

Report received. Thank you for your concern, citizen

Guess I have to go back into hiding again.

Someone get this barcode off my forehead, please. kthxbye.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    At first glance, this gives me a knee-jerk 1984 feeling.

But, really, when you consider things like the Bystander Effect, it's not necessarily a bad idea.

Then again, when you consider the overwhelming stupidity of some people, it's a terrible idea.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Friend [strike]Computer[/strike] Homeland Security wishes to remind you to keep an eye on your fellow citizens at all times!

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Grab someone's balls for freedom? :rotate:
    Liar.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Everyone else is doing it, jeez, lay off, I don't want to get fired (etc).

bowen on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    To be absolutely fair, between this, the ads, and the carols, it's just going to be a complete overwhelming assault on the senses that everyone will do their best to block out. It's more a waste of money that no one will pay attention to, because the store is too fucking loud as it is.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Friend [strike]Computer[/strike] Homeland Security wishes to remind you to keep an eye on your fellow citizens at all times!

Please report to the cafetorium for your morning hot fun.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png