As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DD-WRT : Is it worth it?

ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
I've got a Cisco Linksys WRT160NL router and I've just learned that DD-WRT has been made compatible with it.

Normally I'd jump into something like this with both feet without thinking about it, except I think I've removed all need to go to custom firmware, unless I'm missing something here. The stock firmware works fine for network traffic. The only complaint I had with the device was using the Storage Link (which ironically was why I bought it) was a pain and didn't work properly all the time.

Now I have a Windows Home Server, and I bought a wireless printer, and storage and printing seem to be the two biggest reasons I would have to go with the custom firmware. I have no use for the torrent downloader. My geek side says go for it just because, and my practical side (and wife) say leave it be, it works fine.

So what else can DD-WRT do for me? Is it still worth upgrading or stick with what I've got?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
ArcSyn on

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It depends. The one thing I really like about DD-WRT is that I can prioritize traffic (for example, set Skype, xbox Live, and Team Fortress to high priority, and bittorrent to low priority). Furthermore, it works well with my DDNS service.

In my case, it was definitely worth it.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I flashed a Linksys router I had laying around so I could use it as a wireless bridge to the router hooked up to my cable modem. The flashing process was kind of a pain but everything after that was gravy.

I'd say that if you don't have a specific reason to flash your router then you probably shouldn't. It's fine to tinker with if you're interested in that kind of stuff, but outside of that, it won't serve any useful purpose if you don't have anything specific in mind.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If it's working fine, don't change it.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alright, I'll probably hold off for now then. Maybe once I find more of a need for it I'll fiddle with it. If I had a backup I could use while I flashed it and got it set up I'd probably do it just for fun though. Unfortunately I have this one 'cause my other one failed.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Personally I like Smoothwall if I want to mess around with custom routers. Most commercial routers tap-out at 2500 NAT sessions which seems to be the source of most BT related failure.

EDIT: So if DD-WRT lets you raise that level, do eeeeet.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I put DD-WRT on a Linksys so I could increase power to the antenna and run multiple connections on wifi at once while also using my desktop. The stock firmware was completely incapable of this, DD-WRT does it perfectly.

But it sounds like you're doing fine, so there's really no big reason to change. If you start having problems I'd switch.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yep, if things work, no need to fix 'em.

Though if you just like trying stuff out: well hey man, go for it. That's one of the things that makes computers awesome :). I try stuff like DD-WRT and Tomato just for the hell of it.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not broke don't fix etc
    but man ddwrt is so fucking ace.

It felt like upgrading to a 1000 dollar router.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If it ain't broke, find a way to break it so you have an excuse to make it better. Do you enjoy tinkering with stuff, and dealing with the problems that arise? Then no reason not to go with DD-WRT. Same reason I rooted and loaded a custom ROM on my Android phone, just for the sake of saying I did it.

On a side note, I learned that a friend bought a cheap router and set it up, but she has no idea about anything. She doesn't even know the SSID of the router, or how or what she did to set it up (other than "I plugged everything in and it just worked"). So she told me what kind of router it is, and it just so happens to be one of those Buffalo routers that come with DD-WRT preloaded. Jealous! I want to caress it ever so lovingly now.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png