As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

xbox360 breaking? && PS3 news

JB07JB07 Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
Hi all, iam not sure if this was already brought up a load of times or not but i didnt find anything like this in my search so here goes.

On the xbox forums there has been a lot of people talking about how there 360 is broke and they had like 5 systems break on them in a row. It seems to me everyone with a broken systems goes on those boards. Another thing is people coming saying how bad the tech support was with some really nasty stories.

So i was wondering how many people here had a 360 and it broke on them? (launch system are expected to break it seems)

how was the support?

If your system never broke how long did u have it for?
i had mine now for 1 month and i love the thing. there is so many games coming out for the wii and 360 i dont know how iam going to afford it all lol.

last question about the 360, what are some good tips to keep your system running great?
one i heard so far was, give it lots of venting room, keep it off the carpet, plug is and straight into the wall.

sorry for any silly questions i just wondering if the 360 is really unstable as it sounds and should i be worried or not.

on to the ps3. i think sony just messed up big time this time around and they really pissed me off this year but i dont want to see sony turning into another sega. But there might be some good news for it now, here what i found:

PS3 price drop in 07?
"After a slight decrease in Sony profits largely attributed to the costly and soft-selling PS3, industry analysts maintain that perhaps an early PS3 price cut in 2007 may still be possible due to streamlined production. Said Colin Sebastian of Lazard Capital Markets today: 'We believe it is too early to rule out a PS3 price cut for later this year, which will depend in large part on retail sell-through trends, the evolving competitive landscape, and Sony's willingness to endure further losses on PS3 hardware, offset by potential component cost savings.'"

smaller cpu for the PS3?
"Sony Computer Entertainment has started production on the previously announced 65nm CELL processor. All PlayStation 3 units so far have a 90nm processor inside, but this will change soon. As it seems Sony has started the massproduction of the 65nm processor, and this will have a few advantages.

First of all, this will mean a price cut for Sony on every PlayStation 3 sold. This is because the 65nm CELL processor is cheaper than the 90nm processor.

And second, this means a heatreduction for the PlayStation 3."

So much work, too many games.
JB07 on

• Options
    Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I would say something about how it sucks for the early adopters that they're already going to have subpar hardware in their PS3...but the history was there for them to see it coming.

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Every (I believe) 360 came with a one-year warranty, wherein you have a year of coverage. If it's been a year or less, contact Microsoft and tell them the problem. They'll fix it/replace it free of charge

----

Second half, I really didn't read.

olol sony

Bearcat on
  • Options
    herohero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That was so poorly written I am afraid to answer any questions. So I'll just give a blanket "what the fuck, dude?"

hero on
    audere est facere
    tottenham hotspur
    to dare is to do
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sega's downfall had nothing to do with quality and everything to do with sales.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sega's downfall had nothing to do with quality and everything to do with sales.

Yes thats true, i did not mean it too come off that way but it did. I meant it would be bad if Sony flopped due to any reason and only MS and Nintendo was left standing. (but i dont see that happening)

JB07 on
  • Options
    Krunch XPKrunch XP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    5 360s breaking on them? After a while, you've gotta wonder if it's the user fault, and not the console.

"What do you mean I can't use my 360 in a sauna?"

Also, forget price cuts. Price cuts have created a terrible precedence for business and should be rectified. No price cuts ever.

Krunch XP on
  • Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Krunch XP wrote:
    Also, forget price cuts. Price cuts have created a terrible precedence for business and should be rectified. No price cuts ever.
    D:

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bearcat wrote:
    Every (I believe) 360 came with a one-year warranty, wherein you have a year of coverage. If it's been a year or less, contact Microsoft and tell them the problem. They'll fix it/replace it free of charge

----

olol sony

That year warranty came into affect right around christmas last year, but was true for all systems out. So any system built after (as of now) Jan 30th, 2006 is under warranty still.

However, I do remember rumors of microsoft also fixing any launch consoles (2005) for free. Most of the people who went through 4 or 5 consoles so far are either lying, too lazy to check on the warranty, or too lazy to buy one for $30 from whatever store they bought the 360 from.

Sanders on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sanders wrote:
    Bearcat wrote:

----

olol sony

That year warranty came into affect right around christmas last year, but was true for all systems out. So any system built after (as of now) Jan 30th, 2006 is under warranty still.

However, I do remember rumors of microsoft also fixing any launch consoles (2005) for free. Most of the people who went through 4 or 5 consoles so far are either lying, too lazy to check on the warranty, or too lazy to buy one for $30 from whatever store they bought the 360 from.

I purchased mine News Years Day, 2006. It died a little more than a month ago and I got it completely replaced for free. I'm just glad it didn't die a few days later.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Krunch XP wrote:
    5 360s breaking on them? After a while, you've gotta wonder if it's the user fault, and not the console.

I my self said the same thing to them and most of them say they threat there systems right an all that jazz.
    MS sends out old systems that they fixed when you send your in for repair i hear...that cant be good...

My problem is where i live. If I need to send my system away, it's going to take a very long time to get it back and it would really suck if i had to send it back again etc.
    (are they still sending out box's to ship the system in?)

JB07 on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    JB07 wrote:
    Krunch XP wrote:

I my self said the same thing to them and most of them say they threat there systems right an all that jazz.
    MS sends out old systems that they fixed when you send your in for repair i hear...that cant be good...

My problem is where i live. If I need to send my system away, it's going to take a very long time to get it back and it would really suck if i had to send it back again etc.

Yup, got mine today.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    JB07 wrote:
    Krunch XP wrote:

Yup, got mine today.

They didn't send me a coffin.
    I just sent it in a box stuffed with foam beans.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Bearcat wrote:
    JB07 wrote:
    Krunch XP wrote:

Yup, got mine today.

They didn't send me a coffin.
    I just sent it in a box stuffed with foam beans.

that cant be cheap... do Canadians ship to the us?

JB07 on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This seems like as good a place as any to ask about this, and I didn't want to start a new thread about it because it's not really threadworthy: But is it true that the solder used on all 360s is subpar or something? I've heard (via sparce, internet based sources which I find dubious) that a majority of the "three lights of death" errors are caused by faulty solder. I'm not really familiar with what that means entirely, I admit, but it seems like it could potentially brick every 360 in existance as time goes on, so I'm not ready to believe it. Anyone know the facts on this?

Also, does anyone have any tips for dealing with Microsoft tech support? I've been waiting for a repair console for over a month now. I sent it out in the coffin, but I'm particularly worried about what they'll be sending back to me. Do they send back refurbished units? Are said units reliable, or are they five minutes of use away from breaking again? I'm just really attached to my 360. I love it tons, but if I have to send it out for repairs every month, and the turn around time is five weeks... well, you get the idea.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've still got my launch unit, which runs perfectly.

The play & charge is another matter entirely. One of them doesn't quite charge right... sometimes takes 3-4 charge attempts to charge completely. The other one burned my finger enough to raise blisters because it got so hot (I hadn't realized it was hot... one of those cartoon moments, where the idiot is touching a stove, but doesn't realize it until he looks at his hand. I am that idiot.) To this day, I have not gotten satisfaction from Microsoft.

I'm not exactly calling screaming "lawsuit lawsuit lol," I just want a new battery. :(

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I bought a 360 at launch. A little less than a year later, in early November 2006, it broke. I called in, then after 5 business days (they told me a box would arrive in 3-5) I called back and it turned out that the custom service lady I talked to screwed up filling out the box delivery form or whatever, so they filled out another one. About a month after my 360 broke I got a replacement console back.

It was clearly a refurbished one, since it was manufactured in later 2005, rattled when I moved it, and had some sticky substance surrounding the front USB ports. I wasn't expecting it to last, and it didn't. After about a month it died. Three weeks later my replacement console comes back, this time it was I think a brand new one.

I turned it on, I was still on the dashboard mind you, and it broke. Seriously, this thing was on for less than 5 minutes and it died. I just got its coffin today and dropped it off at UPS.

Honestly, I'm starting to think something might be wrong with my power cord or something, even though it shows no signs of it (light displays the right colors at the right times).

It's all bullshit and it sucks, but it shouldn't stop anyone from getting a 360 or anything.

bruin on
  • Options
    Mr_SnuffleMr_Snuffle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Everyone I know who has a 360 (4 of them) has had problems with them, including myself

I needed to ship mine back to microsoft

Also, their indian helpdesk is for the lose

Mr_Snuffle on
    www.eightandahalfbit.com
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    perfect time for me to post

i just installed my 360, i just connected it to the net. It gave me another 1080 choice.

what is better, 1080i or 1080p?

Follow up ISSUE. I cannot play dvds (on any setting), the fucking thing goes to a blank screen and says it cannot find the component (the xbox 360 itself), but i can hit title menu and browse the dvd menus... So i can access the dvd and it shows on the tv, yet when i actually play the movie the screen goes black.

Any way to fix this or do i have to call tech support?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    p is better than i

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    any thoughts on my technical issue? has this happened to anyone before?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My 360 broke right around the one year mark, took about a week to get the new one, and it messed up, but the third one got here almost immediately, and works perfectly fine.

I have no problems with them, as the shit happens, and the 360's content more than makes up for it.
    Shadowfire wrote:
    I'm not exactly calling screaming "lawsuit lawsuit lol," I just want a new battery. :(

If it really doesn't work, you know they sell a new battery for like 10$, right? I wouldn't expect them to listen and send you a new one.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There's some sort of 360 wiki that lists numbers of PA forumers with 360 hardware failures. It is quite a large amount.

Conversely, I've not heard anything bad about the PS3s. But then again, I don't know anyone that can afford one.

Rook on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rook wrote:
    There's some sort of 360 wiki that lists numbers of PA forumers with 360 hardware failures. It is quite a large amount.

Conversely, I've not heard anything bad about the PS3s. But then again, I don't know anyone that can afford one.

Every PS3 kiosk I have ever seen has been frozen. I've only seen one that has constantly worked, and it was at a local Wal-mart, being ignored 'cause nobody wants to play Motorstorm.

I'd get one for MGS4, still.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have a launch unit. It developed a harddrive error after a couple of months. MS support were totally professional, friendly, quick and efficient. It was fixed within 2 weeks and has been running perfectly since.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TuomaTuoma Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have had my system since launch (european) and no problem with mine. None of my friends with 360:s have had their broken down either...

Did euro get newer consoles then Us? Seems unlikely with the tight launchspace.

Tuoma on
    Tuoma.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My Euro launch 360 has had no problems whatsoever... *touch wood*

I know 9 other people with them, and only 1 guy has had problems.

Total red ring of death for him, however this only happened after he punched it following repeated DREs (which meant the thing was dead anyway).

So mine and 8 other folks 360s are still fine, although I think mine is the only launch unit.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Avoid SpikesAvoid Spikes Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm on my third 360. The 360 is the only console that I've ever had break, and I've owned quite a few in my day. I did not punch it or use the drive tray as a cupholder or whatever. To their credit, Microsoft was very responsive and extended the warranty -- which I suspect means that they know there were manufacturing defects in the first few batches. During my last call, the M'soft rep promised me ("dude") that this one would work, like "forever." So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Still, if you're getting one, I'd pay a little extra for the insurance.

Avoid Spikes on
  • Options
    Capncrunch7Capncrunch7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Related note: My 360 is from november 06. Since I first took it out of the box, sometimes the dvd tray is stubborn. If i tap the tray open button to turn on the console, it makes a sound like it is struggling to open, but nothing happens. Once or twice it has opened about a quarter of the way, got stuck, then retracted back a few seconds later.

For the most part this only happens when the console is off and I press eject to turn on the machine. Is this ominous?

Capncrunch7 on
    XBLA: gogogadgetchris
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Instead of price cuts, why don't we have rolling prices like the stock market or auctions

An unpredictable, gradual flux of prices will keep backlash from forming

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mine busted, was on the phone with tech for less than 5 minutes and had a box shipped to me. Sent it out on a Tuesday, had a new 360 back the following Wednesday. No charges.

Also I called on that Wednesday about my MS Point refund (your arcade games on your hard drive won't work with other profiles since they send you a new console with new serial number) and they called me back the following Monday and issued me codes for 7200 points.

So all in all, it's still too awesome a system to hold them to, and the support was quick and easy. Would I have prefered NOT to have it break and ship it to them? Yes, but the whole process was painless (and I ended up making out with a boatload of points in the end anyways).

Allforce on
  • Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i've had my 360 since late march last year and haven't encountered any problems with it. i have been extremely satisfied with is so far.

the game selection has kept me busy when not playing wow, and a new game i am interested in always seem to be right around the corner.

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My launch 360 just kicked the bucket. Like right now.

Never had any problems before only froze during Oblivion a couple times but that was probably because I was playing for 6+ hours.

RIP 360.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86