As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Restoring Computer Performance

redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, my laptop of about one year has been a fine computer for the few things I do on it. Starcraft, some programming, schoolwork. But over the term its performance has highly degraded.

At this point, it is incredibly choppy when playing games at the same settings as a couple months ago. Videos tend to buffer forever, etc.

Now it always ran a little hot, and was never a high end machine, but its clearly suffering from the slow buildup of crap in the system and performancing degrading that comes with everyday use.

Its still got another year of warranty, so I will get it checked for any hardware failure eventually (unless there's an easier way?) but I'd hesitate to bring it in right before the holiday season culminates.

Basically I'm looking for ways to clean it up, shape up the performance by myself, for the time being.

I've ran AdAware and Malware Bytes to clear out some junk, but what else can be done?

What exactly would a computer tech do here other than reverting to factory state or the like?

redraptor on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, it depends on what you've installed. Any browser toolbars? Get rid of them. Any kind of system/performance/etc monitoring programs? Toss. Crappy printer bloatware? Delete. Do you use any kind of desktop replacement software (Stardock et al)? Go back to stock.

Checking for driver updates could help, running Disk Cleanup and defragging (if you're on Windows) could too. Other than that, and barring any hardware problems, doing a reinstall of the OS always gets the best results.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just revert it to its factory state, and uninstall any programs that come preinstalled in the factory state. Easiest way to do things. Also blow dust out of the fan vents using compressed air.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yea, laptops collect an obscene amount of dust.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I went back to factory defaults. but it seems worse. I don't know what is up.

redraptor on
  • Options
    defreakdefreak Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I would just reformat, start fresh.

After installing with the factory discs, uninstall anything you don't use.

This will also make you go through all your data and get rid of anything you don't want/need anymore.

defreak on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Blow the dust out.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Blow the dust out.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    also factory-state resets are worthless; wipe the drive and reinstall if you want a clean OS

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    also factory-state resets are worthless; wipe the drive and reinstall if you want a clean OS

Is this accurate? I mean I'm sure it is, but I've only got 20 GB of memory being taken up after the factory reset, so if the difference is just splitting hairs I'd rather not attempt.

redraptor on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    20GB is way more than just your OS. A clean install is somewhere between a bit better and much better depending on the brand of your computer, and although it's pretty easy to uninstall all the stuff that comes with a factory reset it's also pretty easy just to do a fresh install.

But first blow the dust out of your computer.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I used a canned duster up the vents and what not, but no improvement. Should I open up the case and give things a once over?

The duster seems a little...wet for that, organic solvent or not it does not seem wise to expose parts to it directly, but maybe I am wrong.

redraptor on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    redraptor wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Is this accurate? I mean I'm sure it is, but I've only got 20 GB of memory being taken up after the factory reset, so if the difference is just splitting hairs I'd rather not attempt.

It's not so much the factory installed bloatware using up all your harddisk space that's the problem, it's that all their little programs load up after booting into Windows and use up processor and RAM bandwidth.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hold the canister vertical, do not tip it, otherwise it will spray liquid.
    And yes, open up your case. You might even need tweezers to pull the large chunks out with.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!