As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MechWarrior[miniPhalla]: Game over! Jade Falcon victory!

14567810»

• Options
    immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Matev wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Yes. All 3 Mechs and the Tech were masoned, mostly so that they wouldn't murder each other.

Aw, but that's half the fun of having 3 vigs on a team.

Honestly though, that does kind of give the village an edge that normally should be reserved for the mafia. (Excepting in larger games, natch) It's a very solid core for people to wrap around vs. the usual paranoia of such a game.

Given the village didn't have a kill vote, not masoning the village mechs would have been pretty mean ;)

immortal squish on
    <3
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Two things: Being a soldier was boring as hell. Who cares who gets seered if you're not networked?

Second: This game had 46% mafia. Mafia had a 23% chance of hitting an IS Mech, and a 54% chance of hitting anything that wasn't an IS soldier. Plus an assassin that worked like a Seer!

Compare this to the IS chances of hitting a JF Mech: 10%, a JF Non-Soldier: 25%, and one of their own IS Specials: 15%

Give me a 54% chance to reduce my opponent's total firepower on turn one and see how well I do

Other than that, it was fun! Thanks for hosting!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh those numbers are slightly off because I forgot Dunadan was a neutral, but still! So, I enjoyed the setting and the gameplay was pretty unique and interesting. Two complaints are simply: Vanillagers completely unable to effect outcomes and Balance issues like woah

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Matev wrote: »
    Yes. All 3 Mechs and the Tech were masoned, mostly so that they wouldn't murder each other.

Aw, but that's half the fun of having 3 vigs on a team.

Honestly though, that does kind of give the village an edge that normally should be reserved for the mafia. (Excepting in larger games, natch) It's a very solid core for people to wrap around vs. the usual paranoia of such a game.

Well I had the impression from the start (giving the size of our team) that it was more a faction game, with us having the advantage of a few extra names and they have an extra mech.

Not that having an extra vanilla mafia was that much of an advantage, considering everything depended on the specials and mechs. Although to be fair it means we knew better where to target than they did. Now that I know they were masoned we didn't do too bad in not taking forceful control of the vote.

Not masoning them would have been pretty mean. I thought they were, until I saw they all obliterated B:L. I was hella confused over that bit. I thought wildcat was talking nonsense in the thread when he said BL was likely a mech. Why did you think that Wildcat?

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also this goes to show that trying to reveal yourself as vanillager in the thread worked against the interest of the village. You could have swallowed a kill instead of a special Kay but of course we opted not to.

Then again, I imagine you tried not to get killed by the village network which would also have been a waste.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Indeed, was a fun game. At least I didn't get blowed up officially ;)

(The game seemed highly dependent on which side found a mech target first, though.)

immortal squish on
    <3
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ringo wrote: »
    Plus an assassin that worked like a Seer!

There was no distinction made if the target was either vanilla soldier or mech. Started hitting those from night 3 until the very end (where spoit was singled out).
    The IS sniper did work as a mech seer.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    lol, the shyest assassin speaks!

btw, I think Wildcat needs to unlock our proboard. Not much there except for my pretty colors on the player listing.

immortal squish on
    <3
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh those numbers are slightly off because I forgot Dunadan was a neutral, but still! So, I enjoyed the setting and the gameplay was pretty unique and interesting. Two complaints are simply: Vanillagers completely unable to effect outcomes and Balance issues like woah

On a scale of 1-Burnage how overpowered were the mafia, do you think?

If I had to do this again I would way reduce their number of soldiers, give the IS more, and let Soldiers do...something. Maybe make the vote a kill again.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    farangu was my call :whistle:
    And only shy because nearly all the specials that I could kill were already gone!

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

If I had to do this again I would way reduce their number of soldiers, give the IS more, and let Soldiers do...something. Maybe make the vote a kill again.

Honestly, I think a village kill would have evened it out. So not too overpowered, but wasting ammo on all those damn Jade Falcon Soldiers was shiiiiiiity.

I was starting to fear the mafia was intentionally leading us through their bullet fodder while they pick off our specials.

immortal squish on
    <3
  • Options
    KellieKellie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Honestly, I think a village kill would have evened it out. So not too overpowered, but wasting ammo on all those damn Jade Falcon Soldiers was shiiiiiiity.

I was starting to fear the mafia was intentionally leading us through their bullet fodder while they pick off our specials.

I agree. But the village vote would have to not kill the mechs :P . Just...reveal them or something.

Kellie on
    21et353.gif

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” - Mark Twain
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

We could've, but you were all doing such a good job of it yourselves we could concentrate on finding and blowing away your mechs.

That said, with all the big village powers masoned like that, it doesn't the give the mafia much of a chance to infiltrate and play mind games. When you know who your big people are, what big incentive is there to work with anyone else or even trust them? That's my only gripe. That and I think switching vote back to a kill would make this a much quicker and brutal game.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Did you...did you at least enjoy it?

D:

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Hmmmm... not sure. Try to remember though, being masoned can be a big advantage - but only against an unmasoned foe. The unmasoned have to treat everyone as enemies, while the masoned have a smaller amount of targets to hit. This game might have worked well as a faction game where masoned groups tried to not only figure out who was on their side, but also *what* each enemy was. If only certain kinds of attacks work on certain kinds of targets, then there's still some mystery to the game.

Like... all soldiers can shoot or hide or throw an ion grenade. Soldiers who shoot a non-hiding soldier get a kill. If they're targeting a hiding soldier they get a 'You missed' message. If they throw the ion grenade at anything other than a mech it does no damage. If they shoot an attacking mech the shot pings off and they've seered a mech. If they shoot a non-attacking mech, the soldier is immediately killed.

Or something like that. As long as you keep a vote mechanic you can probably call it Phalla

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    KellieKellie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

D:

Yes, silly.

Kellie on
    21et353.gif

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” - Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    No, Matev hates winning.

(I liked it, though ;) )

immortal squish on
    <3
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Poor 3clipse, this game is ending like his last one night stand
    With a bunch of close friends saying, "You'll get 'em next time, champ."
    <3

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If only it weren't true D:

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

D:

Had a freakin' blast 3clipse. :mrgreen: Honestly, my opinion's probably not the popular one. But still, I did very much enjoy this game. Hope I didn't do too bad on my first ever run as Mafia.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I might've enjoyed it if I wasn't a fucking soldier surrounded by specials. As it stands though...

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alegis wrote: »
    Not masoning them would have been pretty mean. I thought they were, until I saw they all obliterated B:L. I was hella confused over that bit. I thought wildcat was talking nonsense in the thread when he said BL was likely a mech. Why did you think that Wildcat?
    *whistlin' dixie*

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Plus an assassin that worked like a Seer!

There was no distinction made if the target was either vanilla soldier or mech. Started hitting those from night 3 until the very end (where spoit was singled out).
    The IS sniper did work as a mech seer.

Except I could only target things that were seered, making that one shot at kellie the only useful use of that, since any other seer target was already known by the masoned network, talking of which, was there a proboard?

I was fustrated with the usefulness of my role, what with it being completely useless against mechs until they got a second life after their mech was destroyed, for the first few days until the network took control and was able to effectively seer clanners. But yeah, being a vanillager or even a non special mafia? That must have really sucked.

And reading the mafia boards, making the roles equivalent (especially the scout/ranger) may have been questionable.

Also, I'm a bit confused about what happened day 6. Why didn't the network kill kellie? Especially since I confirmed kellie as a mech. Which reminds me...The mech selection for the game was rather o_O. I admit that I don't remember a whole bunch of them, but why not choose iconic mechs like the timber wolf (yes I know it's a clan wolf mech) or the raven, which is pretty much the poster child for a light ECM mech, and more importantly is actually an IS design. Heck, the cougar is a jade falcon mech.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, the mech choices were all over the place. :p

Nova Cats didn't come about until like, way, way late in the storyline and were a joint endeavour between Clan Nova Cat and I think the Draconis Combine, off the top of my head.

Cougars were total Jade Falcon mechs too, which was all kinds of headfucky for me. :D I just decided to ignore what I knew of the lore, and go with it.

Fun, but hugely balanced in favor of the Mafia. 11 Jade Falcons, 13 Inner Sphere, and 1 Neutral? The clanners should have had their mechs, and maybe some spotters, but not the entire army they did have. The Inner Sphere garrison needed more support. Losing Farangu early really hurt.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Kellie was the Nova Cat. We never had enough firepower to kill her, between the Komodo's shields and their engineer

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mech choices were definitely non-canonical.

That said...

51Y0FFKPZWL._bL160_.jpg

Good game.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    B:L wrote: »
    *whistlin' dixie*

My mistake plain and simple, I misread a PM from Spoit which made me think that he'd already tried to hit B:L rather than that he was going for him that night. Oops!

Thansk for running 3clipse. I enjoyed the theme, but I was dismayed to discover that we had a bunch of Jade Falcon cannon fodder to wade through - pretty much meant we were chasing around for the rest of the game. Looks like I will have to go back to being mod of a popular internet-based forum (ahaha).

Wildcat on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, it was fun (despite getting blown up the first day). I'd say if you added more Inner sphere people, you'd be fine, but the balance pretty much guaranteed a mafia victory.

schuss on