Options

Cooker? I barely know her! [Cooking Thread]

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm guess Passer didn't have any. :P

I'm getting uber frustrated with my father's diet. Last week, he tells me to cut out all the carbs, so i went through the house like a bit of a passover whirlwind, getting rid of everything that had over 3g sugars/per serving like I did when he started on the Sugar Busters so many years ago.

So a week or so goes by, obeying all the rules like the dietitians originally told him to. And then, they come back and are all mad at him because he's not getting ENOUGH carbs.

Now he has to have 30g carbs at least with each meal, or each day... i'm not sure exactly which one it is, he won't tell me.

but right now, you're looking or reading, a very frustrated family cook. And I just needed to vent.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I made an attempt at making pancakes with coconut flour tonight, using this recipe. I used coconut milk because I had no cow milk (and I suspect I might be mildly lactose intolerant), but I think I made two mistakes---the coconut milk I had had pulp in it and I didn't compensate with extra liquid and I think it made it too coconutty as a result.

Also, it was my first time using stevia to sweeten so I might not have used the right amount.

Not that they're bad, but they're pretty much just okay.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Today I am making a somewhat ad hoc beef stew. The real worry though is that I couldn't find any suet, so I'll be dumplinging up using butter. Jamie Oliver thinks it can be done. I am dubious.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So here's a question.

One of my friends sent me some tea, saying that it was "better for smoking fish or chicken than for drinking". When I asked her how to go about smoking fish, she only had time to mention using a bamboo steamer before her internet connection died. She's in Australia, so I don't have that many opportunities to talk to her.

Does anyone have any idea what she was talking about? How do I smoke a fish on a steamer?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Richy wrote: »
    So here's a question.

One of my friends sent me some tea, saying that it was "better for smoking fish or chicken than for drinking". When I asked her how to go about smoking fish, she only had time to mention using a bamboo steamer before her internet connection died. She's in Australia, so I don't have that many opportunities to talk to her.

Does anyone have any idea what she was talking about? How do I smoke a fish on a steamer?

It looks like lots of links are agreeing:

Marinate fish. Put rice and other grains on a double foil layer on the bottom of a wok. Turn wok on med, let it start to smoke. Lightly oil a bamboo steamer, place fish in steamer, place steamer over tea mix. Cook for a varied amount of time depending on recipe.

I've never heard of doing this but if you try, let us know how it works... maybe Quid would like to try it. It seems simple.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Granted the house smells like smoke and tea, tea and smoke

:?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Still, I'll probably try it...

Do you think the rice is edible at the end?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Or maybe not...
    CAUTION: tea-smoking generates a lot of smoke. Cook in a well ventilated area.

My kitchen is not a well-ventilated area. It does not even have a window.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's cold out. Cold and wintery.

Time for homemade crock pot chili made with beef, homemade chili powder (seriously, do this. It's so much better than store-bought) with some fresh sliced jalapeno in the mix.

Edit: added link to homemade chili powder recipe

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Or maybe not...

Come use our kitchen! Problem solved. :D

radroadkill on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Or maybe not...

Come use our kitchen! Problem solved. :D

Oh, it's in my list of things to do when I go to Hawaii, don't worry :P

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I have bamboo steamers! I've yet to actually do anythign with them, though... I need a wok.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Today I am making a somewhat ad hoc beef stew. The real worry though is that I couldn't find any suet, so I'll be dumplinging up using butter. Jamie Oliver thinks it can be done. I am dubious.

Jamie Oliver is a filthy fucking liar. The stew itself was good though.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jamie Oliver is a filthy fucking liar.

Huh? Why is that?

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    His dumpling recipe wasn't very good.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okay cooking thread. I have the following:

-Countless frozen chicken thighs (bone-in, skin on)
    -Most of the basics people have discussed in this thread in terms of spices, condiments, oils, fats, veggies, etc.
    -A (1) Crock Pot.

What. Should. I. Do?

Currently I have found recipe for a faux-Barbecue chicken that involves tossing ketchup, lemon juice, honey, vinegar, worcestershire, salt/pepper and mustard together with the chicken and then crocking it for 8 - 10 hours. That seems promising. Maybe I could toss some potatoes and carrots and such in there?

Any ideas?

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just did some sous-vide chicken breasts with butter and tarragon last night and wholy bajeezus was that fucking simple and delicious. The chicken was unbelievably juicy. We cooked it to 165 to be safe since no one here wants botulism and because God knows how fresh the chicken was. When you google for sous vide chicken breasts you'll find websites saying that 143 is optimum, 147 is good, not above 150, etc, but we really didn't want to chance it with something from a major super market. Maybe if I butchered the chicken myself, sure.

But fuck man, that was awesome.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    JordanthehuttJordanthehutt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have an eggplant, wat do?

Jordanthehutt on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Taramoor: Chicken thighs + bell peppers+ Spaghetti sauce+ slow cooker=yum. Toss in some extra paprika, some sliced onions, whatever you want, but it's a good start.

Jordan: give it away. No, I really don't know what to do with eggplant, as I don't eat it. My mother loves to slice it, bread it, fry it, but ick.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I have an eggplant, wat do?

Grill it. Do a soy marinade, brush it with some pesto... Eat it as it, in a sandwich... toss it with pasta or chop it up and put it in a couscous salad.

Make eggplant parmesan.

Um...

Yummy! I wish I had an eggplant. :(

radroadkill on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So this is probably one of the best ways I've had ribs from the oven before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz7WHAjxDxk

If you don't have a grill or BBQ pit or something, it's a very good recipe to use. I used it a few days ago. You can use some liquid smoke if you really want the smokey flavor. My rub was a bit different than his. Personally, I'm a fan of garlic and onion powder as well in my rub.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I make a lot of oven fries, anyone tried one of these? Do they help crisp?

resize?sq=450&uid=2201029395

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I make oven fries a lot too, and I really don't have much trouble making them crisp using normal baking trays. After I toss them in some olive oil, I usually cut them into wedges, put them round side down and then cook them at around 425 degrees for about 35 minutes or so making sure to toss them like 3 times or so as they cook.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I always forget about French onion soup. It is pretty great and simple. Although it makes for a really filling starter.

Butter
    Onions
    Flour
    Stock
    Salt and Pepper
    Bread
    Cheese

Melt some butter in a pan, more butter than you'd expect as it's a French recipe, but don't go crazy. Say 50g or so.

Chop up some onion, doesn't really matter how, just make it small. And bung it in with the butter. Keep it moving until the onions have gone really soft (~5 minutes or so over a fairly low flame).

Bang in some flour, again, more than you really expect. Just enough to make the onion all start to form together into a light brown mass. Then throw in the stock (around a litre and a half) and leave it for ten minutes.

You can make some croutons in this time if you fancy.

Otherwise, grate the cheese (the French use Gruyère, which is their everyday cheese, so more or less equivalent to a medium cheddar. you'll get stabbed for pointing that out though) and get an ovenproof dish or individual oven proof bowls. Line the bottom with bread.

Now, when the soup is done, strain out the onion and get rid of it, so you're left with the liquid. Taste and season. Pour the liquid over the bread, it will float, but it doesn't matter. Then cover in the cheese and bang in the oven till it browns.

The surface will be covered in the melted cheese and bread, so if you did make croutons, just pop the bowl on the table so they can be added as you go along.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    oddly enough, i hate onions. I like the taste and flavor that cooking with an onion imparts on a dish, but I hate the texture of an onion to eat.

however, an ex's mother made french onion soup one night, early into our dating, and it was just plain rude of me to refuse to eat the dinner, so I ate it. and i found that I could simply swallow the onions whole. she cut them small enough that they practically disappeared into the broth and I was left with pretty much just broth, bread, cheese.

I've since had other french onion soups and done almost the exact same thing, just swallowed the onions after breaking them up in my mouth a bit with my tongue (they were that tender) and just enjoyed the soup.

I dunno that i could ever successfully make it to my father's discerning satisfaction, but i might give it a try one night after getting to new kiwiland.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well, the way I do it doesn't have bits of onion in it as you strain them out. So could be right up your alley. I've only had it in a restaurant once, but it also didn't have onion bits.

It does seem strange and wasteful to just dump them, but this is how Je Sais Cuisiner says you have to do it, so I'm not going to ask questions.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I improvised some cauliflower-onion-curry with basmati rice yesterday. It was pretty good, but in hindsight I should've added more chilies and some lemon juice to balance out the coconut milk.

Also, I cannot comprehend that aversion to onions some people have . I know some people like this, and it just doesn't make sense to me. Then again, I've yet to try a food I couldn't swallow, so maybe I'm the weird one. :P

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I always forget about French onion soup. It is pretty great and simple. Although it makes for a really filling starter.
    Butter
    Onions
    Flour
    Stock
    Salt and Pepper
    Bread
    Cheese

Melt some butter in a pan, more butter than you'd expect as it's a French recipe, but don't go crazy. Say 50g or so.

Chop up some onion, doesn't really matter how, just make it small. And bung it in with the butter. Keep it moving until the onions have gone really soft (~5 minutes or so over a fairly low flame).

Bang in some flour, again, more than you really expect. Just enough to make the onion all start to form together into a light brown mass. Then throw in the stock (around a litre and a half) and leave it for ten minutes.

You can make some croutons in this time if you fancy.

Otherwise, grate the cheese (the French use Gruyère, which is their everyday cheese, so more or less equivalent to a medium cheddar. you'll get stabbed for pointing that out though) and get an ovenproof dish or individual oven proof bowls. Line the bottom with bread.

Now, when the soup is done, strain out the onion and get rid of it, so you're left with the liquid. Taste and season. Pour the liquid over the bread, it will float, but it doesn't matter. Then cover in the cheese and bang in the oven till it browns.

The surface will be covered in the melted cheese and bread, so if you did make croutons, just pop the bowl on the table so they can be added as you go along.

Thanks for that recipe. I've always wanted to try french onion soup. I'll try it out in a few weeks. Lately I've been on a soup binge so I won't be making any for a while.

I'll put up a tomato basil soup recipe when I get the time.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Also, I cannot comprehend that aversion to onions some people have . I know some people like this, and it just doesn't make sense to me. Then again, I've yet to try a food I couldn't swallow, so maybe I'm the weird one. :P
    I've never encountered it before. It's an odd one.

The most common food aversion seems to be mushrooms in my experience.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Actually, I have just realized that I'm not a huge fan of very sinewy meat, à la chinese food. Chewing rubber is not my idea of good food.

The mystifying thing about people with onion aversion(in my experience) is, that even if the onions have been cooked with other veggies and have identical cruchiness or softness, as well as texture, it's still somehow the onions that gross them out while I can't distinguish between the veggies apart from the taste.

Apparently onion powder works just fine though.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, the way I do it doesn't have bits of onion in it as you strain them out. So could be right up your alley. I've only had it in a restaurant once, but it also didn't have onion bits.

It does seem strange and wasteful to just dump them, but this is how Je Sais Cuisiner says you have to do it, so I'm not going to ask questions.

We never dump them, and I love our version of French Onion Soup.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Right, so I made something that was pretty kick ass for the recipe coming from the back of a box of macaroni.

So you take some pasta shells (I used tri-color) and then you boil them (duh). A caveat is cook them a little less than al dente. Right when they are about finished, you toss in a few good handfuls of broccoli florets. Make sure you don't put them in to early, as you don't want to blanch them, you just want to soften them up a bit. Drain the broccoli and pasta and set aside.

THEN

Get a fucking huge saucepan (one that will fit all your broccoli and pasta)

Pour a good amount of olive oil in the bottom (I used like 1/3 cup, but tailor it to your saucepan's size)
    Then heat it up along with some garlic (a few good cloves), some basil, rosemary and a half-cup of sundried tomatoes, finely chopped.

Let that all heat up a minute or two and get aromatic, but don't burn it.

Next pour in like 1/4 cup of a white wine (drier is probably better, but I used what I had, which was shitty five dollar white wine) and reduce it a bit.

Then add about a cup of broth (I used mushroom broth, but you can use veggie stock or chicken stock)

Heat the broth up and then add in the pasta and broccoli mixture, stir it around until it is heated through and most of the broth is absorbed, adding salt and pepper to taste as you heat it.

Serve with Parmesan cheese!

(note- this recipe is vegetarian, and if you omit the cheese, also vegan!)

Arch on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I was on 4chan in /ck/ (I know, I know) and was looking at some of those visual recipes for a good :lol:. I then ran into this one.

1293939029038.th.jpg

This actually looks like it might be good. What say you, cooking thread?

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So making beer brats. There is like two feet of snow outside so using the grill is a no go. Can I just boil them in the beer for 10 minutes or so then finish with a pan fry? If so how long do you recommend per side?

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Decius wrote: »
    So I was on 4chan in /ck/ (I know, I know) and was looking at some of those visual recipes for a good :lol:. I then ran into this one.

1293939029038.th.jpg

I've done something similar, and it should be good with those ingredients. I don't know what else to say, really.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I just wanted to give some love to my go-to recipe site. If you haven't checked out Epicurious.com, you should. Here are some of my favorite's from that site.

Cauliflower and Horseradish Gratin
    Grilled Pork Chops with Garlic Lime Sauce
    Grilled Tandoori-Style Chicken with Mango Jasmine Rice
    Jalapeno Cheeseburgers with Bacon and Grilled Onions (a lotta work for a burger, but sooo worth it)
    Steak with Shallot Merlot Sauce
    Filipino-Style London Broil

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

http://img408.imageshack.us/i/1293939029038.jpg

I've done something similar, and it should be good with those ingredients. I don't know what else to say, really.

Other then making sure I'm not going to be trolled, I think the only question I have is in regards to the garam masala paste. Couldn't find of that specific paste in the Indian foods aisle of the big grocery store I normally go to, and I didn't have time to go to an Indian grocery store (though I know of a really good one that also has Caribbean stuff). Familiar with Garam Masala, but don't know how to make it into a paste. Would just a medium curry paste suffice?

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Familiar with Garam Masala, but don't know how to make it into a paste. Would just a medium curry paste suffice?

Garam masala just means spice mixture, so yes.

The only reason it ever gets called curry powder/paste is because people are frightened and confused by things with foreign names.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    japan wrote: »
    Familiar with Garam Masala, but don't know how to make it into a paste. Would just a medium curry paste suffice?

Garam masala just means spice mixture, so yes.

The only reason it ever gets called curry powder/paste is because people are frightened and confused by things with foreign names.

:lol: I figured it was something like this. I knew garam masala was some sort of spice mix, but didn't remember it was literally just a spice mix. Makes the whole point moot eh.

Looking forward to deliciousness this weekend. Thanks.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Actually, I have just realized that I'm not a huge fan of very sinewy meat, à la chinese food. Chewing rubber is not my idea of good food.

The mystifying thing about people with onion aversion(in my experience) is, that even if the onions have been cooked with other veggies and have identical cruchiness or softness, as well as texture, it's still somehow the onions that gross them out while I can't distinguish between the veggies apart from the taste.

Apparently onion powder works just fine though.

I can tell you for me, that it's the physical biting into the onion and then getting that little squirt of juice. I used to have the same problem with lettuce. I could not bring myself to eat a salad with lettuce in it because of the texture of (essentially) destroying the cellular walls. It just eeked me out and i couldn't do it.

I love the flavor of onions, and i use onion powder in just about everything, and I am going to try to get better at eating onions, like I did with lettuce, but it might be hard for me.

Also, onions used to be what made my acid reflux (one thing) act up all the time, so I avoided them because of that too. I will cook with them, I just can't eat them. So I either make them small enough that they melt away, or I make them large enough pieces to get the flavor out of them but i can still pick them out and give them to my father.

Who the gives me the tomatoes that he can't stand.

lonelyahava on
This discussion has been closed.