As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATMAN] Where Are You?!? Here. Arkham City Out Now

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wil Wheaton's comment on his blog today about how it's like an episode of the Animated Series that you control is pretty true.
    God, I'd give anything for an Arkham Asylum/City type game with TAS designs

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ceno wrote: »
    I've already told my wife that I'm taking the day off from work when this hits. She usually doesn't care much for video games outside of Civilization and Rock Band, but she would actually watch me play Arkham Asylum, and she's quite excited for the sequel.

Yeah, it says a lot about the presentation of this game that my girlfriend was content to sit and watch it. That generally only happens for really polished titles since shes not a big gamer in general.
    It's a rare title that is fun to watch as well as play.

Half-Life 2 was this way on the 360. I started playing, and my family members were off doing various things -- reading books, surfing the internet, etc. About 30 minutes in, I realized they were all watching me play, engrossed in the goings-on.

That kind of thing makes the game even more fun for me, as the player.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    With HL2 that would probably just freak me out more, since there's just that much greater chance of turning around and being face-to-crab with a bunch of zombies.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Green LantenGreen Lanten Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    IGN First Batman AC Preview
    Batman and Gotham City share a special connection. On the rooftops, it's as if the Dark Knight is connected to the soul of the city. He knows every alleyway, every criminal safe haven, every trouble spot. Trapped in Arkham Asylum last game, Batman was disconnected from the city that speaks to him. In Arkham City, Batman is in his element. This isn't Batman trapped in an asylum; this is a city full of criminals trapped with Batman.

Arkham City is a section of Gotham run by Warden Hugo Strange where the inmates of Arkham Asylum and Blackgate prison have been placed. The major criminals have secured their own districts and run them with some autonomy. To ensure gamers feel like Batman at his best, the city is wide open from the start. Each district has its own set of missions, its own narratives to experience. Go where you're needed and unravel the clues to the larger plot and Hugo Strange's true motivations.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1152009p1.html

Batman: Arkham City: 20 Things We Just Learned
    4) Catwoman and Two Face Have New Voice Actors

Fans of Batman: The Animated Series may be disappointed to hear that neither Richard "Bull from Night Court" Moll nor Adrienne "That Girl From The Fog" Barbeau will be reprising their roles as Two-Face and Catwoman, respectively. Interestingly, Barbeau was in Arkham Asylum, as one of the asylum physicians Batman rescues.

5) ...And So Does Harley Quinn

Surprisingly, Arleen Sorkin did not provide the voice for Harley Quinn in the demo we saw, despite being in Arkham Asylum. When pressed, we were given a stone cold "no comment" on whether this would be true in the final game. The actress we heard was a pretty good imitation, but obviously not the real thing.

7) Calendar Man Knows What Day It Is

Not only is series villain Calendar Man confirmed to be in the game, he's also got some unique dialog during most major holidays. Play the game on St. Patrick's Day, for example, and he'll tell you all about a murder he committed on that day in history.

8) Bad Guys Can Take Hostages

There was one scene in Arkham Asylum where Mr. Zsasz took one of the doctor's hostage, in a scripted event that forced players to batarang his face. In Arkham City, the average grunt can do this contextually, providing a new challenge for Batman: if the hostage dies, it's game over.

11) Some Enemies Have Armor Now

A new enemy type now has Batman-proof armor, making a traditional takedown impossible. Batman must use the new "Beatdown" move (which involves first stunning the enemy then hammering on the attack button to beat him rapidly) to weaken and, eventually, destroy the armor.

13) Batman Goes for the Jugular

Among the various new moves Batman has now is the Throat Grab, which serves as an alternative to the Glide Kick: rather than using his boots, Batman will literally grab a guy's throat mid-flight and slam him into the ground.

15) The Game Rewards Eavesdropping

Something made very clear from our time watching Arkham City is that the game has significantly more NPC dialog. Much like the No One Lives Forever series, the game rewards you for sneaking around and listening to conversations before taking bad guys out. The dialog even changes contextually -- once the watchtower blows up, for example, it becomes the talk of the town.

16) You Can Fight 25 Guys At a Time

Arkham Asylum's brawls maxed out at 12 bad guys. In Arkham City, we're told that the number will be at least 25, possibly even 26. That's a lot of dudes.

17) Batman's Great Great Great Grandfather Makes An Appearance

It's not really an appearance as much as it is a reference, but the courthouse that Two-Face is holding Catwoman captive in is named the Solomon Wayne Courthouse, after Bruce Wayne's dad's dad's dad's dad's dad. Rocksteady did its homework!

18) You Can Answer Distress Signals

While exploring Arkham City in detective mode (either by grappling from rooftop to rooftop or taking a ride on a helicopter), you will occasionally get a message saying "Person in Distress Located," allowing you to go help a Gotham citizen in need and open up a new quest path. Or you can be a jerk and ignore them too.

19) A Surprise Involving Radio Frequencies is Coming

The Arkham City team is saving one surprise for Game Developers Conference next week. We don't know what it is, but we know that it involves radio frequencies. We were shown a hand-painted billboard in the game that provided a clue, and read as follows: "Turn on and tune in before someone checks out: 275.00 325.00."

20) We May See An Appearance from The Rainbow Beast

Okay, so the chances of this actually happening are very slim, but we're told that the team at Rocksteady read our list of Twenty-One Villains We Probably Won't See in Arkham City and enjoyed it quite a bit, particularly the Rainbow Beast, and that they've at least joked about making reference to it in the game. Please, please, please make this happen.

http://www.1up.com/previews/batman-arkham-city-twenty-things?pager.offset=1

Green Lanten on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    25 dudes you say?

That is a lot of dudes. Almost enough to slow Batman down for a full thirty seconds!

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just read the ign article and came here to post it. Beaten but i don't care. So much great stuff in there. Glad the entire map is open from the start, should make finding collectibles much harder.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok the glide-throat-slam in lieu of glide kick sounds fantastic.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Batman-proof armour? What can actually protect you from being knocked on your ass and having your leg broken?

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    already being on your ass and having no legs?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    already being on your ass and having no legs?

Amputees are like Batman's kryptonite.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wonder if Calendar Man will know your birthday, from your Gamer ID or Steam profile or whatever.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Not excited to read how much the guy was using detective mode in his 20 minute play through. Had hoped they'd tone it down. Otherwise good stuff all round, including that Batman will have his gadgets from the start.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well if the world is open and all you want to do is kick some thugs asses, you could forgo the detective mode for a while? Seems to be only necessary for the main plot and certain side bits.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hope that only bosses get the bat-proof armor, I just can't imagine quick time events coupled with freeflow combat without ruining the latters flow.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It doesn't sound like a QTE to me.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wonder what the story with Arleen Sorkin is. :S

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well no new information was released. BUT we did get a look at what the main menu will be like.

25022011162438.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WjX0DOO6S4

Green Lanten on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's not a menu screen. It's a Title Screen. It's used for primary controller detection.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Shame about the voice actor changes. Richard Moll's Two Face was amazing, as was Barbeau's Catwoman. Hopefully Arleen Sorkin isn't out as Harley, her voice was basically the foundation the entire character was built on.

Still, I want this game ASAP. Today, if possible. RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND would be preferred.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm expecting it to land around September. That said, I'm so excited about this game that I need to just disconnect from it until it comes out, lest my expectations lead into what I think of as "gaming paralysis". Just reading all that info above sent my brain into a frenzy.

"Oh god is this too much? Will I be overwhelmed? How can it work? I've practically memorized Arkham Asylum but these are entirely new environments, will I still know how to play?"

At which point I had to back slowly away from my own mind. This is day one for me, I'll pick it up at midnight. But I have to let it go until it comes out, or I might somehow chew my own head off in anticipation.

Ceno on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's not a menu screen. It's a Title Screen. It's used for primary controller detection.

Wait.
    That's why they have title screens? I thought it was just an intro screen for looks.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    8) Bad Guys Can Take Hostages

There was one scene in Arkham Asylum where Mr. Zsasz took one of the doctor's hostage, in a scripted event that forced players to batarang his face. In Arkham City, the average grunt can do this contextually, providing a new challenge for Batman: if the hostage dies, it's game over.

This is about the only thing out of that list that I really didn't find great. Getting a game over when a random bad guy grabs a hostage and decides to kill, making you repeat the entire section over again doesn't sound like fun. The scripted silent takedown events are fun, just not in every gang fight (if this is indeed how the approach will be).

And my heart sank hearing about the Harley VA news. With Batman, Joker, and Harley in, you had the trifecta of what made Batman: TAS and the last game work so well. I certainly hope it doesn't involve issues with money.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah that sounds like it could go wrong, but "contextually" might mean "only in stealth missions" rather than "in fist fights" so it could still be alright.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Wait.
    That's why they have title screens? I thought it was just an intro screen for looks.

Microsoft uses the Press START screen for controller detection. They always did since it had been a standard that any controller in a port should work. I don't think SONY does, but then the last I knew, SONY didn't necessarily require it. For the PS3, what the devs do is up to them, but they'll usually just make it work the same if they're doing a cross-console game.

In this case, they just make the screen fit the feel of the game because they can. It can look anyway they want it to.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    HEY.

In this Arkham City, can Bats grab a dude by the throat and dangle him over a ledge to interrogate him? That would be excellent.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wonder what the story with Arleen Sorkin is. :S
    I don't know, but someone better get that shit fixed like yesterday.
    I wonder if Calendar Man will know your birthday, from your Gamer ID or Steam profile or whatever.
    I CAN READ YOUR MIND

psycho-mantis.jpg

Monger on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    speaking of, i wonder if scarecrow is gonna show up again

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The ending was left pretty wide open with
    different cut-scenes for Scarecrow and Croc. TBH, they could both be alive. A little wet, sure but alive.

Really want Mr. Freeze though. Bring on the puns.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Well i knew that i was just testing you all. :lol:

In this Arkham City, can Bats grab a dude by the throat and dangle him over a ledge to interrogate him? That would be excellent.

I would think so because Batman does it in one of the earlier screenshots. And I could be wrong but it might be one of the new interrogation techniques.

interogation.jpg

Big Isy wrote: »
    The ending was left pretty wide open with

different cut-scenes for Scarecrow and Croc. TBH, they could both be alive. A little wet, sure but alive.

There was also an alternate ending for Bane. So he'll most likely show up aswell.
    Really want Mr. Freeze though. Bring on the puns.

Maurice Lamarche has already said he'll be voicing Mr. Freeze in the game.

But i really don't want to see any stupid puns from him as Mr. Freeze though.

Green Lanten on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Did Bats have that much armor on his forearms in the last game? It'd be nice if that was an upgrade that let you counter knife-guys or something.

edit: heh it looks like he's got an Xbox 360 hard drive on his left arm.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Knife guys already had a counter. It was called 'cape stun'.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Knife guys already had a counter. It was called 'cape stun'.

...yeah if the counter for normal guys was "punch them".

You can counter, cape stun, vault over, etc. normal guys. You can't counter knife-guys, but you can cape stun, vault over, etc. them.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    A counter is a damage dealing activated ability that requires timing. Cape stun is something you can do to everyone, everywhere, to stun them. It doesn't count.

Not being able to counter cape guys was kind of annoying but for the most part I dealt with knife guys by vault first, then cape -> power attack once I was in the middle of the whole power attack spree. Mongers advice to vault first counter second was so helpful in this game you have no idea no idea.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I like it how when people don't like the advice that it 'doesn't count'. Just because the cape stun works on practically everybody else, doesn't make it less effective against knife guys. It counts.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's just a matter of how you define counter. Keep it chill, bros.

So how about that Batman? I hear he's doing videogames now.

glithert on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I like it how when people don't like the advice that it 'doesn't count'. Just because the cape stun works on practically everybody else, doesn't make it less effective against knife guys. It counts.

I did like your advice dude. It isn't a counter though.

Counter noun -5. a blow delivered in receiving or parrying another blow, as in boxing.

If you do the cape stun at the same timing as a counter, you get hit. you have to do it in advance. It's an offensive move and we are talking about defensive moves. No liking or disliking necessary.
    You are talking about something else to everybody else, using different definitions, that's all. It's nothing personal.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Batman: Arkham City Demo Report
    San Francisco is currently hosting Microsoft's "February Games Showcase." At this point I've had plenty of hands-on time with the Gears of War 3 beta, but what's got me really excited, and what is most surprising, is a 20-plus minute demonstration of Batman: Arkham City. We've already seen the latest trailer, which debuted at the 2010 Spike VGAs. If you haven’t already seen it, do yourself a favor and check it out immediately. I'm sure I’m not alone when I say how impressed I was with the way it was cut, and the way in which it showcased what we could most likely expect from the Dark Knight's upcoming mission.

The demo we were shown begins in chapter one, where we see Batman perched high atop a roof in a central location of Gotham City. The city is overrun by escaped convicts and those wishing to seek the attention of both Two-Face and The Joker. Batman is in radio contact with an ally, and is overlooking Two-Face's current whereabouts--a courthouse that's just as double-sided as he is. Half the building is in pristine condition, and the other half is shattered and torn. It's a minute detail that would normally go unnoticed if the game didn’t zoom in on the building. From this advantageous viewpoint, it’s easy to get a sense of just how large the city of Gotham is. The sheer scope makes this feel like GTA: Arkham City.

The developer giving the presentation mentioned the team wanted to break free from the confines that more or less plagued Asylum, and eliminate narrow corridors as much as possible. Their intention is to build the city out enough so that you're faced with plenty of options as to how you would like to tackle your primary task. In this case, Batman needed to infiltrate Two-Face's courthouse and save a stranded Catwoman.

One of the new(er) features I found most impressive was Batman's ability to glide much more fluidly. From his perch, Batman leaped effortlessly into the midnight sky, and--cape drawn--floated gently for a few seconds. Nothing new there, but suddenly he was speeding toward the ground like a bullet, gaining velocity, which gave him enough speed to survey more of the city streets, and make his way towards Two-Face's hideout. Along the way, a band of thugs were huddled around an innocent civilian, beating him up. After landing on a nearby ledge, Batman used the same detective senses from Arkham Asylum, turning the screen into that cool X-ray view. Doing so, he was able to deduce that one of the thugs was in cahoots with The Riddler. This was confirmed by a green glow around the thug's body. Then Batman sped to the ground, air-kicked the first thug, and through the use of all-new impressive combat techniques, diffused the entire band of thugs, saving The Riddler's lackey for last. Taking advantage of Batman’s detective prowess, one of the new features is the ability to interrogate suspects for more information. The new interrogation mechanic is pretty cool. Batman holds the victim up off the ground by the neck, and after a few choice words, is able to get information on The Riddler's next clue.

But we were challenged with the task of finding and infiltrating the courthouse. The Riddler, and whatever hi-jinks he was pulling, would have to wait…for now. The demo then brought us just outside the courthouse, where Batman shot up to the rooftop for a closer and more personal inspection.

Once inside the dilapidated courthouse, Batman positioned himself just underneath the rafters to best survey a large group of thugs on the lower floor. Two-Face stood proudly on a stage in the lower level, and was giving a large group of inmates a presentation on the proper way to dispose of Catwoman: by slowly dipping her headfirst into a tub filled with green acid. It was a slightly predictable, if not barbaric, scene. Once again, Batman utilized his detective skills and surveyed the room, specifically for any hostiles carrying weapons. A sniper was perched right above Batman’s position, and would make for an easy stealth kill if he were to sneak up behind him. After climbing a nearby ladder, and approaching the gunman, Batman used a neck-breaking stealth kill. According to the developers, the kill technique chosen is always random. Once Batman had eliminated the biggest threat, he then proceeded down to ground level and administered a beat-down of epic proportions. At least a dozen thugs tried to take him on, but it was no contest. The combat is just as fast and insane as before, only this time Batman has much more moves at his disposal, including the ability to catch thrown objects (in this case a wooden chair) and hurl them back at the attacker.

After disposing of the thugs, a cutscene triggered in which Batman and Harvey Dent exchanged a few words. Needless to say, Catwoman escaped from her confines, and Two-face got what was coming to him: Batman strung him up by the ankles, and threatened to dip him into the acid.

Once Catwoman was safe, it was time to try and find the Joker. What’s great about the demo was that it moved briskly from one villain to the next. There was never a slow or dull moment. The action was constant throughout. Once Batman was back outside, he made his way up to the rooftops. With such a bustling city, he was able to hitch a ride on a nearby helicopter, and make his way to a clock tower that supposedly housed The Joker. After infiltrating the building, we were treated to more ways to administer stealth kills. Batman now has the ability to take out two opposing thugs at the same time, assuming they’re standing close enough together. What’s more, Batman narrated his proceedings as he went, so it’s almost a no-brainer as to how to best tackle each and every situation. It will be interesting to see if this hand-holding continues throughout the entire game. I’m hoping it can at least be turned off. Just like in the trailer, the brawny caped crusader can punch through weaker walls, which is an impressive feat when an unsuspecting thug is standing directly on the other side.

The demo then ended at the top of the clock tower, where Joker was nowhere to be found. Instead, the place was rigged to blow with an impressive assortment of explosions. He leaped out of the window just in time to save his neck, and continue his plight to rid the city of the most notorious villains in the Batman universe.

It was clear from the demo that the overall look and feel of Batman: Arkham City progressed nicely from Arkham Asylum. The sheer size of Gotham city frees up the narrow structure from before, and easily presents you with more options. The city is vibrant and full of life, offering plenty of distractions along the way, and if you’re willing, impeding your progress from your primary tasks. It really feels like a melting pot of Grand Theft Auto’s thriving city, Just Cause’s aerial acrobatics, and all the right mechanics from Asylum. I can’t wait to see more.

http://www.gametrailers.com/users/BrooksGT/gamepad/

Green Lanten on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Why on earth did you bold all of that? It makes it really hard to read. Could you do me a favour and take it off?

Morninglord on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    That guy sure knows his stuff, what with Batman having SO MANY STEALTH KILLS.

cr0w on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't know what you're talking about.

Batman totally snapped that dude's neck to death.

With murder.

Monger on
This discussion has been closed.