As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MINECRAFT] Notch breaks SMP, must be tuesday

• Options
    KapsLockedKapsLocked Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Omg Aaron that's hilarious. XD

KapsLocked on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kumagoro wrote: »
    Just started playing Underdark. Finding it tricky to find a place to build that's not in the middle of Bumfuck, Nowhere. Terribly entertained by the lore screenies and so forth. Should be fun!

How about LumberIce?

Lumberice.jpg

/warp IC

then take the road!

We need development on the high roads above it, and maybe some around the trees themselves if you can fit? Tons of undeveloped space in the cave area above the trees

Gumpy on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    BlockLight Pass 5: 757 chunks

ETA 10 minutes, though fair warning, there is a fair chance I have fucked something up and will have to tweak it before everything works. I really cut my margins short when it comes to the lighting bug, but this cave is all about verticality.

Vic on
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Server's up HOOOOO!

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thanks to everyone on the Underdark this evening, you're all a great bunch to mine with!

Anyone looking for space to build, come to Lumberice! I built a road from the (/warp ic) safehouse to follow there - it's all virgin territory as far as we can tell and we need help making the place awesome.

See you all around!

PS I'm Ginjinngear on MC

Huggles on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Story So Far:

---

It's some for some

z4d1936377fc96.gif

20 people log on at once and rush down the long ass road. The first thing I see upon entering... it's pretty dark. And lots of glass.

01.jpg

Still dark, but the white fog should roll in any minute now.. Wait.. are these glass trees?

02.jpg

Emprical spots something in the distance... a statue?

03.jpg

A frog? Could this be a depiction of the being known as King Pondsquatter, The Great Detestation, and Speaker of the Vast Joke by those who oppose him? (His true name is, of course, forbidden.)

04.jpg

05.jpg

How scenic!

06.jpg

Ginjinngear finds another frog statue.

07.jpg

One snapshot before I return home.

08.jpg

Sorry, I was in a bit of a hurry with these.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, this underdark stuff is weird, I'm not sure I fully understand what you guys are doing, but it looks awesome.

Makes me wish I had paid more attention to the minecraft thread the last few months. :( The idea of exploring something like that is neat, but I dunno if I'd want to join something like that in the middle, if onyl because I'd feel like I was intruding on something (stupid, I know).

Might come take a look around eventually though.

[edit] by the way, did he ever fix leaves not decaying? As stupid as it sounds, thats the reason I put the game down for a few months, it was too irritating to have to clean those up by hand. :?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Holy moly. If my bloody kid'd go to sleep I could check this out :x

Fleeb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Sorry if you can't get in guys, the server is completely full!

Vic on
  • Options
    strabostrabo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    We have a griefer by the name of "JimmyKid1996" on Diannaochong.dyndns.org currently. He's blowing up lots of stuff.

strabo on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Note to self; don't carry all your diamond gear/torches/weapons with you and fall in lava without leaving backups at home.

Ah well, guess I can grab some more diamonds when setting up in the Ice Cave tommorow.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Man, this underdark stuff is weird, I'm not sure I fully understand what you guys are doing, but it looks awesome.

Makes me wish I had paid more attention to the minecraft thread the last few months. :( The idea of exploring something like that is neat, but I dunno if I'd want to join something like that in the middle, if onyl because I'd feel like I was intruding on something (stupid, I know).

Might come take a look around eventually though.

[edit] by the way, did he ever fix leaves not decaying? As stupid as it sounds, thats the reason I put the game down for a few months, it was too irritating to have to clean those up by hand. :?

Leaf decay was fixed recenty.. in Beta, I think. He said it works a bit different now. Not sure how, but they seem to go away a lot faster.

Also, there's still plenty of room to build and explore on the underdark. I'm doing my best to keep logs of the weird stuff so people don't feel so lost when they log on and we're babbling about some nonsense. Actually, I think the quest for the seals and the redstone logs have drawn in a bunch of new people, so you wouldn't be alone. :P

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Working new infrastructure to Geh...will be working it most of the night.

Let me know ingame if there are natural landmarks that we need skyways to. Thanks!

tachyon on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    strabo wrote: »
    We have a griefer by the name of "JimmyKid1996" on Diannaochong.dyndns.org currently. He's blowing up lots of stuff.

Thanks a lot for the information, sorry about your trouble :(

Vic on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Vic wrote: »

noooooo!_63286.jpg

Fleeb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Fleeb wrote: »

nooooooooooooo

I was on a minute ago and it's fine now. :P

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, on my Singleplayer Survival, I have built a shelter by my spawn point, made a tunnel near the shelter, and found a dungeon with a lot of good minerals. I'm taking a break but when I come back, I'm going to get more torches, make some swords, and after I find the spawn point and destroy it, I'm going to complete my tunnel to my spawn shelter.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I dug a little tunnel in the walls of Gehenna, expecting to hit bedrock quickly.

I hit a cave. Harvested it, moved on, another cave. And another. And another. Eventually i had a huge cave system going, when i hit the motherload. A huge, branching vertical shaft full of minerals. Long story short, i now have over 64 diamond.

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So I found myself bored, and decided to try my hand at making a minecraft skin. Despite having not seen the movie yet, I've had the Tron: Legacy soundtrack stuck in my head all day, and it inspired me to send Mr. Minecraft to The Grid. Original movie style.

tronmrminecraft.jpg
    mrminecrafttrondraft.png

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    strabo wrote: »

Thanks a lot for the information, sorry about your trouble :(

Just banned him a bit ago, he wasn't that good of a griefer for sure. didnt even set forest fires.

edit: I never got a chance to look underground, I hear he was messing around down there, so no clue of real damage yet.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I found myself bored, and decided to try my hand at making a minecraft skin. Despite having not seen the movie yet, I've had the Tron: Legacy soundtrack stuck in my head all day, and it inspired me to send Mr. Minecraft to The Grid. Original movie style.

tronmrminecraft.jpg
    mrminecrafttrondraft.png

This is a really cool idea :^:

Peas on
  • Options
    KileakKileak Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

tronmrminecraft.jpg
    mrminecrafttrondraft.png

You sir, have made my day.

Kileak on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What happens if you're smelting minerals in a furnace and the server shuts down? Is that stuff gone, or will it be there smelting when I get back? Hoping I'm not out a half stack of gold..

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Crashtard wrote: »
    What happens if you're smelting minerals in a furnace and the server shuts down? Is that stuff gone, or will it be there smelting when I get back? Hoping I'm not out a half stack of gold..

I don't know what happens if you're actively smelting, but stuff that's just sitting there will sit there forever until someone takes it out.

Edit:

I just noticed the creeper face on the top of the TRON helmet. D:

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I was wondering if someone would notice that! :lol:

Tried to make a Red/Orange version by using the Hue, Saturation and Lightness tools as a laziness method, but it came out rather "meh".

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It is taking absolutely ages for the editor to calculate new light for the server, but it will be up again soon enough.

Vic on
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Which editor do you use Vic?

Loathing on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Man, Gehhenna is pretty brutal. Got dive-bombed by something, never even saw it. Knocked off a bridge into a lake of lava... poof, swank kit gone. Yikes. Scenery is cool tho, those trees are great.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Loathing wrote: »
    Which editor do you use Vic?

MCEdit for almost everything now.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hm.. I just realized a neat use for the purchasable pocket dimensions. If someone wanted, they could use the largest size to make player-made dungeons and then release the warp code publicly.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Hm.. I just realized a neat use for the purchasable pocket dimensions. If someone wanted, they could use the largest size to make player-made dungeons and then release the warp code publicly.

The whobee whatey?

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Argus wrote: »
    AaronKI wrote: »

The whobee whatey?

For a certain amount of gold, you can purchase a pocket dimension you can warp to from Vic. These are usually used for secret storage and nefarious plots.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    5 spiders......right outside my spawn safe house.......with me only having some iron swords.....AAAAAH!

Kadoken on
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kadoken wrote: »
    5 spiders......right outside my spawn safe house.......with me only having some iron swords.....AAAAAH!

All I hear are excuses.

Loathing on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So the Old Core has arrived. It's pretty cool, Vic managed to make it look like the buildings were mossy and the torches were burning out, and yet preserve the whole main cave, as well as the original waterfall entrance.

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm planning to join the Underdark.

I have never joined an SMP server before.

Is there a writeup anywhere, or can someone write one up quickly, for what I should do first? I've built a fairly average base in survival singleplayer, but have no real experience with the mechanics behind the game such as pressure switches, redstone, etc.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The Story So Far:

---

The Creation of the Underdark
    The ruins of the Old Undercore were found this evening southwest of the red cave.

01.jpg

It's an archaeologist's and anthropologist's dream cave. There's a lot to see and explore, but the most important thing we came across was this.

02.jpg

03.jpg

A chamber at the end of a long path that supposedly details the forgotten history of the Underdark.

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

A depiction of The Great Ever-Tunneling One's obsidian pickaxe is lit beneath the glass floor.

11.jpg

Naturally there's a lot of skepticism about the story considering that it mentions our ancient ancestors came from the surface. It couldn't really exist could it?

12.jpg

Could it?!

13.jpg

No. No it doesn't.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Woot! Killed the spiders, though I screamed "Bloody Murder!" when the game glitched one in my house and I was damaged a bit, and the greatest triumph, the spawn safehouse now has a tunnel directly to my main valley base. I'm thinking of creating a tower after I deal with the dungeon I found (Which I still haven't dealt with). Are Obsidian tools indestructible or is that just in the story?

Kadoken on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Story only. Would be cool though.

samurai6966 on
This discussion has been closed.