As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MINECRAFT] Notch breaks SMP, must be tuesday

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alright, maybe one of you can help me with this.

I had a small server up for myself and a couple of friends thats been running fine for days. Everyone could connect just fine, no time outs or drops or anything. However, last night/early today I had to do a fresh install of windows/everything else on my comp. Now, no one can connect.

Ive set everything up the same way I did last time, and have gone over all the usual connection trouble suspects, and nothing has fixed it. Proper port is forwarded properly, drivers/java/server files are all up to date, firewalls have been checked/disabled, and still nothing.

Any ideas? They can "connect" to the server, but can't get past the "logging in" step so it has to be something on my end. I just cant for the life of me figure out what I haven't checked.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Skab wrote: »

I had a small server up for myself and a couple of friends thats been running fine for days. Everyone could connect just fine, no time outs or drops or anything. However, last night/early today I had to do a fresh install of windows/everything else on my comp. Now, no one can connect.

Ive set everything up the same way I did last time, and have gone over all the usual connection trouble suspects, and nothing has fixed it. Proper port is forwarded properly, drivers/java/server files are all up to date, firewalls have been checked/disabled, and still nothing.

Any ideas? They can "connect" to the server, but can't get past the "logging in" step so it has to be something on my end. I just cant for the life of me figure out what I haven't checked.

The only thing that springs to mind is that you might want to clear out the server folder assuming you brought it over from before the reinstall. Leave only the server.jar and the world folder.

Vic on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Story only. Would be cool though.

I've been wanting Obsidian tools for a long time. Maybe in order to balance things out, it could require a full stack of obsidian in each grid space instead of just one piece per square.

Or maybe it could be made normally and have the mining speed of iron, but last much, much longer than diamond.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Vic wrote: »

The only thing that springs to mind is that you might want to clear out the server folder assuming you brought it over from before the reinstall. Leave only the server.jar and the world folder.

Also already did that. Even tried it with a fresh minecraft_server.exe and new world and still nothin.

Server is showing either disconnected.timeout or disconnected.endofstream for errors. Its like theyre finding the server itself just fine, but are being prevented from actually connecting to it by something. Bah.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I had the awesome of pleasure of wandering into the Hope room in HQ, and know what I found? A creeper, standing right there inside the room. Blew up right in my face (I repaired everything to how it was).

Beware creepers spawning in HQ, beware!

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, here's my floating home.

http://min.us/mvjg9rS
    ib6Ffw.png

Some earlier progress shots.
    http://min.us/mvoUv0r
    http://min.us/mvfGwSu

I've still got a bit of work to do on it, but it's mostly done. Mainly wanted to show off that nifty bit of geometry, up top.

Edit: The earliest set has a few shots from my spawn base. It's a little better designed now.
    http://min.us/mvjpxGN
    That has a couple from another spot, too.

ContentContext on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    LumberIce has now grown into a thriving village located on the shores of the Ice Cave, and we're still looking for new citizens to help develop it! The entire upper area has been more or less untouched, unmined and waiting for someone to build there.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Notable attractions include Tyberias's luxury house, Galaga's three storey mansion, and Dhal's Tower of Tea and Balcony of Biscuits, complete with tunnel to viewing platform and central square fountain!

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    one thing that never ceases to amaze me about minecraft is that despite the block by block nature of construction, things get up and running surprisingly quickly!

About six hours ago, there was minimal construction in LumberIce, but now there's three large houses, several smaller ones built into the walls, as well as a mammoth underground construction project being undertaken by Gumpy.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    LumberIce is now about a day old

And its growing very, very well

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I am super happy about being one of the pioneers.

But there isn't all that much ice left in the main area...is there anyway to replace it?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is there a specific way to the sand cave?

Need some glass but can never find my way there.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is there a specific way to the sand cave?

Need some glass but can never find my way there.

Underdarkmap.png

Fleeb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh I've seen the map, but even following what seem like pathways I don't get anywhere.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh I've seen the map, but even following what seem like pathways I don't get anywhere.

Did you take the road over the ubercastle (#7)? It's a pretty striking sight. If not, you went the wrong way.

You could also ask when you're on, someone should be able to show you the way. I'd be happy to when I'm on (usually evening EST, Nairagorn is my ingame name).

Fleeb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Aha found it.

I was going along the wrong walkway out of the UC.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

ib6Ffw.png

I've still got a bit of work to do on it, but it's mostly done. Mainly wanted to show off that nifty bit of geometry, up top.

Edit: The earliest set has a few shots from my spawn base. It's a little better designed now.

how do you get it to look so pretty?

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

ib6Ffw.png

how do you get it to look so pretty?
    It's just the Painterly Pack and Better Light/Better Grass. For screenshots, I'll usually turn the graphics to fancy and toggle the fog.

Edit: You know, one thing that hit me, while working on this, is how useful wool and dirt are. The biggest thing is that they're free to use(no tools necessary to acquire or break down), so they're good for working out designs.

ContentContext on
  • Options
    LostLost Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just found a large, still lava lake on the surface on my new world.
    I thought I had seen everything the world generator could throw at me.
    I was wrong.

Lost on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, surface lakes were one of the most recent additions. I've seen plenty of water lakes, in my world, but no lava lakes.

Anyways, for anyone who wants to get a closer look at that build, I zipped up the world.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?kfc68be47i1u3xj

Remember that it was built with PP and BL/BG, so I don't know it'll look with other settings.

Edit: The inside of the structure is entirely walkable, but there are a couple of tricky angles. The outside climb to the top requires a little platforming.

ContentContext on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    wow that better lighting mod makes things look awesome!

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Empirical wrote: »
    I had the awesome of pleasure of wandering into the Hope room in HQ, and know what I found? A creeper, standing right there inside the room. Blew up right in my face (I repaired everything to how it was).

Beware creepers spawning in HQ, beware!

It's the redstone rune. The one in my house spawned an (insivible) skeleton, so I destroyed it. guess there's an odd bug where the square that a redstone torch is on can sometimes be really dark.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just picked up the game and am surviving my first night.

Tomorrow I build!

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    JerickJerick Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Also already did that. Even tried it with a fresh minecraft_server.exe and new world and still nothin.

Server is showing either disconnected.timeout or disconnected.endofstream for errors. Its like theyre finding the server itself just fine, but are being prevented from actually connecting to it by something. Bah.

If you have installed a version of Windows that is Vista and newer, it defaults the windows firewall to be on, and in my opinion that sounds like what your problem is. I'd check that.

Jerick on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Jerick wrote: »

If you have installed a version of Windows that is Vista and newer, it defaults the windows firewall to be on, and in my opinion that sounds like what your problem is. I'd check that.

Nah, this comp is still using XP, which also defaults windows firewall to on, which I turned off right away.

So it's not that. Like I said before; firewalls, ports, drivers/files updated, all this has been checked multiple times so it I don't think its going to be something obvious.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    is the netherworld active on the Underdark?

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Not in the sense of putting up a portal and warping, no. There are a few themed big caves... one of them, Gehenna, is a lot like the nether. Just more awesome.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Aaaannnnd I'm addicted.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Fleeb wrote: »

Not in the sense of putting up a portal and warping, no. There are a few themed big caves... one of them, Gehenna, is a lot like the nether. Just more awesome.

Yeah, I think Gehenna is visually more interesting then the Nether. We also have the Red Cave, which is more like a typical cave except made of Bloodstone with huge deposits of Redstone.

When Nether portals are working, it would be really awesome if Vic made a custom non-nether map that portals sent us to. Though I guess that wouldn' work too well since if a new portal is made, it could send someone to a freshly generated nether chunk outside of the bedrock lining.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    There's rules posted in the spawn area. They basically boil down to "don't be a dick".

Hmm, the post I replied to seems to have vanished o_O

Fleeb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Wow. The server has been full several times since yesterday. I guess the IP being posted in the OP (or maybe the new areas) really brought in a lot of traffic.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well I think that combined with the fun we've been having on it have drawn people in, which I'm okay with, it is more fun to play with more people.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Speaking of fun, I noticed some more redstone activity today. Some signs in my house telling me to do something I already did to the hearts (unless there are more), a sign at the trade mushroom about the old core. and meta's mall has inexplicably been redstoned with new symbols and a few signs. "The ubermall serves the darkness", "the underdark is ours once again", blah blah.

I might wait for more activity before I post another story update since the sign at the summoning gates implied something big might happen (double edit: Unless the big activity two days ago was meant to coincide with the rise of the old core.)

Edit: Did anyone find anything else if interest in Gehenna or the Old Core?

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    D34THROWD34THROW Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fucking shit. I settled under the ice caves, amongst the obsidian creepers for the privacy, minerals, and scenery. The next day, I return to find two of the creepers with holes in their faces and lava pouring out, the obsidian harvested. The next day, I come back to a conversation about Lumberice, the ice cave settlement.

Maybe I'll set up a vacation home in Gehenna.

EDIT: Reading more about Lumberice, I'm starting to fear a breakthrough into my mines or my stash.

D34THROW on
    Minecraft Nickname - D34THROW

Current Server - None.
    Current Project - Surviving in SSP.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    You're a trendsetter!

Fleeb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    D34THROW wrote: »
    Fucking shit. I settled under the ice caves, amongst the obsidian creepers for the privacy, minerals, and scenery. The next day, I return to find two of the creepers with holes in their faces and lava pouring out, the obsidian harvested. The next day, I come back to a conversation about Lumberice, the ice cave settlement.

Maybe I'll set up a vacation home in Gehenna.

Vic has already settled there. :P

I share your feelings about the obsidian creepers, though. No one has any respect for the ancient and mysterious. It's all about greed and accumulating as much wealth as possible. It's not even that expensive to buy obsidian.. 3 blocks, or 27 bars of gold for a full stack.

Last night some people started wrecking buildings in the old core to get the mossy cobblestone. I'll be shocked if there are any frog heads left in Gehenna by this time next week.

Another example of greed overwriting common sense: The sculpted doorway/roof to the history chamber in the old core was partially made of coal that was blocking water. Someone mined the coal, the water started flowing down into the room, and then they just kind of left it like that without replacing the blocks with something else.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    We need an archaeological preservation society... go around repairing damage from looters and vandals. I've got some obs saved up, maybe tonight I'll fix those creepers. Haven't seen the old core yet.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have made my (Hell) nether portal, went in, got some glow stone, got a little paranoid of something that sounded like a little kid, and promptly got out. I am shamelessly labeling my portal: Highway to Hell.
    Maybe if Notch makes a world in the clouds with unique things to get I will name the portal to that: Stairway to Heaven.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Fleeb wrote: »
    We need an archaeological preservation society... go around repairing damage from looters and vandals. I've got some obs saved up, maybe tonight I'll fix those creepers. Haven't seen the old core yet.

I'd be willing to take part in this. I've already repaired the Cold heart after it was stolen. I don't spend much gold on anything either, so I could help put funds towards the repair of ancient stuff.

Should we set up an office somewhere? Or maybe a museum. I've always wanted a place that houses replicas of all the neat things in the Undedark.

Maybe I'll buy a pocket dimension for set up a museum there. That would get the hardest part of finding the space out of the way.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'd definitely chip in on a pocket dimension, i have like 20 gold blocks left I think. The IC warp set me back a bit so I can't exactly remember.

Or we could build a museum as an annex to the URC or something.

Also a suggestion for Vic, a source of mossy cobble other than the old core buildings or frog statues wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Fleeb on
This discussion has been closed.