Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Help choosing a power-saving server minidesktop

hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
Hello!

I have been doing some tinkering with linux lately and I think I have a good enough grasp at it to start thinking about running some servers at home and at work. I already pay enough electricity to be wary of just getting an old PC and leave it on churning out hundreds of kwh so I am looking for something a little bit on the power saving size always on solution.

Is a nettop a good option? Anyway here are my guidelines

- Low power consumption ~ 40 watts iddle
- Small form factor
- Good for OpenSuse, Ubuntu server or other server oriented linux distros
- Will be used for ftp, http, pop3, smtp and cache servers and also for wifi auditing
- $300 budget ready to boot
- Will probably stay at school cubicle sometimes and use it as a desktop, so it needs to have some office, matlab and photo editing power. This is most likely not an issue

Any ideas? I was thinking this but sometimes good ideas are not the best deals. Any other options?

hectorse on

• EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've only heard good things about Zotacs. Built in 802.11n, too, which is handy.

Ego on
    Erik
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    I'm very curious about a Bubba 3. It's based on Debian, but I don't think you're able to run your own distro of choice on it. It does look very nice as a home server to tuck away in a corner though.

Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.