As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Telltale's Jurassic Park: Hold on to your butts!

• Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Joolander wrote: »
    carmofin wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I think Capcom had the right idea with Dino Crisis, where it was more survival horror than blast the shit out of everything. Because, come on, they're fucking dinosaurs.

Which is why I was pleased when I heard that Telltale got the license along with BttF. Any other developer would've probably just done an FPS and called it in.

You're probably right, but even Dino Crisis was a bit too action-heavy for me to want it to be a Jurassic Park game.

I mean, you should have moments of abject terror. But you should also have some time to take in how awesome an island full of living, breathing fossils brought to life with SCIENCE! actually is.

That was pretty much the formula of the first movie - and why the movie sequels were never quite as good to me. They were less about the idea of the world's most amazing gamepark, and more about dinosaurs terrorizing people. That's cool and all, but there are hundreds of straight-to-video monster movies that do that.

dino crisis... dino crisis...
    when i think of dino crisis i think of jetpacks and space ;)

you must be thinking of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4yBC5qXVto

different franchise, same writing team ;)

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dino Crisis is an impossible game.

It's basically this:

You see Raptor.

Raptor eats you.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is the one I played as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt3KFDcn_OQ

Also, I remember this picture from one the SNES games scaring the crap out of me.

257hv8n.gif

This is the one where you could play as a raptor, right?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That is one seductive raptor

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I only have two types of nightmares now.

One is me being in a classroom where I dont know the course material at all and have to take a test soon.

The other is being chased through a neighborhood by a T-Rex.

Well the second one actually becomes a wet dream...

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alien QueenAlien Queen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    anoffday wrote: »

257hv8n.gif

The Genesis had two games I believe. 'Rampage edition' is the sequel to the original, sorta....

It was basically more of the same, but yes you could play as a raptor. I rather liked the stage where you could ride a Gallimimus while raptors chased you down, lots of fun!

On the last stage of the raptor campaign, you had to fight another raptor (something about nesting rights)...very epic!

Alien Queen on
    3DS: 4742 5205 9601 - Boss Lady - Pokemon Y - In game name: Kira
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Talkc wrote: »
    You know what i wanted to see? I wanted to see The Lost World by Michael Chriton, turned into a movie. Instead we got the second Jurassic Park movie, which was like someone had described The Lost World to someone with Schizophrenia, and all that came out was the madness that was that movie.

Fuck that second movie. The book was EXCELLENT, and that movie was just a piece of shit.

Spielburg did a hybrid adaption of the book / remake of the original Lost World movie. I believe the ending in particular was a homage to the Brontosaurus in the silent film going on a rampage after being transported to civilization.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I didn't mind the 2nd movie, but I remember Spielberg saying he couldn't do some of the crazier scenes that were in the original book due to technical limitations (the waterfall scene, etc) so those were put into the Lost World film.

Kind of a shitty mish-mash but whatever, fucking dinosaurs, man!

I loved those books when I was a kid and the 2nd and 3rd movies when they came out when I was older, back then there wasn't an internet telling you what not to like so I didn't question my opinion on everything ever second of the day. I'll buy every Jurassic Park on Blu Ray when they come out, they announced the Trilogy box-set at the same time they announced the Back To The Future box-set as coming out in 2010 but they obviously missed that date. It's gotta be coming out shortly...

Allforce on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone else play The Lost World for Playstation? That game was fucking hard, but you got to play as a raptor in that one, too. Not to mention two or three different human characters, a compy and the damn T. rex.

Actually, the T. rex levels were pretty disappointing because they were the last levels of the game, so the devs thought it necessary to make them absolutely impossible. I think you're walking through lava for like half of them, which unavoidably drains your health bar as you try to charge to the end while endless hordes of Velociraptors and men with machine guns charge directly at you from all sides.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I remember playing JP on the Genesis. The sidescrolling action one that is goddamn impossible.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    anoffday wrote: »

257hv8n.gif

The Genesis had two games I believe. 'Rampage edition' is the sequel to the original, sorta....

It was basically more of the same, but yes you could play as a raptor. I rather liked the stage where you could ride a Gallimimus while raptors chased you down, lots of fun!

On the last stage of the raptor campaign, you had to fight another raptor (something about nesting rights)...very epic!

I have both of those sidescrolling Genesis games. The first game is based pretty heavily on the movie, but also makes a few references to the book (the river level and the compies being the most notable). Its gameplay is very rough and you pretty much never kill anything as Grant, though it's a slaughterfest when you're the Raptor.

The Rampage Edition isn't sorta a sequel to the original, it's a flat out direct continuation and is much faster paced and arcade-y. It really bumps up the book references, with sequences taking place at the boat and the aviary -- and InGen is treated as the antagonist, with both Grant and the raptor having to mow down hundreds of InGen agents trying to recover eggs and DNA to restart the park elsewhere. It's pretty cool and much more over the top.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Allforce wrote: »
    Remember the SNES JP game? The one where it was all top-down gameplay outdoors and then kind of shitty FPS inside? I fucking beat that game when I was like 13, it had NO saving and you got like 3 lives. I had to keep the Nintendo on overnight in order to do it and the ending was so shitty.

I do remember thinking the graphics were fucking amazing at the time though, at least the outdoor sections.

SPTop100-84.gif

Jurassic_Park_SNES_ScreenShot2.gif

That first picture really captures the Jurassic Park SNES experience. Though I thought the FPS sections were neat at the time and the computer interfaces had some cool extras like the fractal generators. But the real magic of that game was as you said, leaving the SNES on overnight in order to complete a run because no saves and not even a password system.

Sometimes I have nightmares of the digitized "Welcome to Jurassic Park" that the game would play when you first got control of Grant.

On second thought fuck that game.

But this game? I'm looking forward to Telltale's take on a Heavy Rain style game.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »
    You know what i wanted to see? I wanted to see The Lost World by Michael Chriton, turned into a movie. Instead we got the second Jurassic Park movie, which was like someone had described The Lost World to someone with Schizophrenia, and all that came out was the madness that was that movie.
    Fuck that second movie. The book was EXCELLENT, and that movie was just a piece of shit.
    I find it very hard to believe that any book written by Michael Crichton is excellent
    The Andromeda Strain. The man's pretty shit nowadays, but he used to write good books.

Glal on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Sometimes I have nightmares of the digitized "Welcome to Jurassic Park" that the game would play when you first got control of Grant.

DR. GRANT!

*digital ping*

"Watch out for the Pachycephalosaurs, they are very territorial!"

God I hated those popups. Every. Goddamned. Time. Otherwise an awesome game, besides the damn boat level, with nightvision goggles that wouldn't save batteries from level to level.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Glal wrote: »
    I find it very hard to believe that any book written by Michael Crichton is excellent
    The Andromeda Strain. The man's pretty shit nowadays, but he used to write good books.

...You're aware that he's dead, right?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    And for several years at that! What has Glal been reading?

And like I said, I read all his shit when I was younger and didn't have the internet telling me not to, so I still maintain I enjoyed his stuff. He always grounded his stories in some sort of technology-of-the-moment that I found fascinating, like nano-bots or his last book dealing with corporations trademarking and patenting human and animal DNA and various genes and mutations.

Allforce on
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »

For the record, i read The Lost World when i was Ten.

Talkc on
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I had some issues with The Lost World book because there were a few things that made no sense if you'd read the first book. Malcolm being alive for example, or the whole thing where the T-rexes could see things when they were standing still even though it was clearly established that they couldn't in the first book.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Lost World was set on Isla SORNA though! A magical place where continuity was long forgotten!

Isla Nublar was where T-rexes vision was based on movement.

Allforce on
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I had some issues with The Lost World book because there were a few things that made no sense if you'd read the first book. Malcolm being alive for example, or the whole thing where the T-rexes could see things when they were standing still even though it was clearly established that they couldn't in the first book.

Rain. Rain fucks up Trex Vision. I believe that was the explanation my mind came up with to save the book.

Also, these were different Trexes. They were the reject ones. The ones not meant for the park.

Of course the one in the park couldnt see. Would you want a Trex to be able to see the people? No way.

In fact, I have a theory. Ingen probably blinded the trex at the park.

Yeah. Thats the ticket.

Talkc on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nope, stopped bothering once his books went shit. I suppose you can reword it to "he was pretty shit later on" if the sentence structure really bothers you?

Glal on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I thought they specifically said at some point "whoops, Guess we fucked up the T-Rex vision thing!" After it ate someone standing still. As for Malcolm, I remember the beginning of the book being about how he was only very nearly almost dead.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mostly dead.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I thought they specifically said at some point "whoops, Guess we fucked up the T-Rex vision thing!" After it ate someone standing still. As for Malcolm, I remember the beginning of the book being about how he was only very nearly almost dead.

I'm almost positive the "whoops" moment happened to the villain in Lost World and wasn't in Jurassic Park. It has been ages since I read either of them, but I distinctly recall that the T-rex in JP seemed to realize that there was something in front of it. The fact that it couldn't see them confused the hell out of it, though. It was a fairly integral part of Grant and the kids' survival during the initial attack if I'm recalling correctly.

In Lost World, Grant is directly referenced (by Dodgeson I think) as being the one who said that T-rexes can't see prey that aren't moving. Malcolm says, I think, that the villain is "misinformed" or something like that. Basically, it shoots down Grant's personal experience with T-rexes.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    Alien QueenAlien Queen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone else play The Lost World for Playstation? That game was fucking hard, but you got to play as a raptor in that one, too. Not to mention two or three different human characters, a compy and the damn T. rex.

Actually, the T. rex levels were pretty disappointing because they were the last levels of the game, so the devs thought it necessary to make them absolutely impossible. I think you're walking through lava for like half of them, which unavoidably drains your health bar as you try to charge to the end while endless hordes of Velociraptors and men with machine guns charge directly at you from all sides.

Yeah I got this game almost immediately after getting the PSX, what a treat!
    I remember enjoying the raptor levels (kill and eat things lots of times) and the compy levels which focused on platforming and run the fuck away from anything larger than you.

The T-rex levels started off awesome, but quickly got repetitive and very difficult. It did not help that every time you got hit by anything, the rex would stop in its tracks for a good second or two while nasty things continued to wail on you, harrumph!

Here is an LP of the game in case anyone missed out:

Alien Queen on
    3DS: 4742 5205 9601 - Boss Lady - Pokemon Y - In game name: Kira
  • Options
    JoshykinsJoshykins Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is the best news I've heard all week. I absolutely love JP, own the two Sega platformers and the SNES adventure. I loved Tresspasser as well although looking back I dunno what the hell I was thinking with that one. Big fan on the movies as well. For the exception of three. Poor Sam Neill... You did not deserve that.

Joshykins on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I totally want to read the book now and buy the SNES games.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Joshykins wrote: »
    This is the best news I've heard all week. I absolutely love JP, own the two Sega platformers and the SNES adventure. I loved Tresspasser as well although looking back I dunno what the hell I was thinking with that one. Big fan on the movies as well. For the exception of three. Poor Sam Neill... You did not deserve that.

Sam Neill almost saved that movie, just be having an attitude of "I cannot believe I got roped into this" going at all times. Luckily it probably applied both to Neill, and definitely to Grant.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'm almost positive the "whoops" moment happened to the villain in Lost World and wasn't in Jurassic Park. It has been ages since I read either of them, but I distinctly recall that the T-rex in JP seemed to realize that there was something in front of it. The fact that it couldn't see them confused the hell out of it, though. It was a fairly integral part of Grant and the kids' survival during the initial attack if I'm recalling correctly.

In Lost World, Grant is directly referenced (by Dodgeson I think) as being the one who said that T-rexes can't see prey that aren't moving. Malcolm says, I think, that the villain is "misinformed" or something like that. Basically, it shoots down Grant's personal experience with T-rexes.

In Jurassic Park Grant believes his survival is due to the fact the Rex couldn't see him. By The Lost World, Chrichton had different palentological evidence that suggested that view was wrong and he retconned it more in line with the same reason Malcolm survived (i.e. the Rex wasn't hungry, just perplexed at Grant's actions). I guess you could consider it a knock at himself, as Chrichton writes Dogdson's men to be similarly misinformed later which gets one of them killed.

By The Lost World Malcolm had been declared clinically dead at least once and remained near death for quite a while. But the bigger problem most people have is with the animals on Sorna in the first place, but Wu's musings in the first book point to various problems with the engineering and versioning process.

That said, I have a great love for almost every Jurassic Park game I've come across (...even The Lost World for the playstation is alright). Although I never got to play Trespasser, there's a decent LP that has quality information. My favorites were the Genesis and SNES Jurassic Parks (probably followed by JP:Rampage Edition). I don't think I ever got passed the T-Rex in the NES version.

The Sega CD version is pretty great (and an actual good use of in-game video), but it's mostly a puzzle game to every other system's action game.

President Rex on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

In Jurassic Park Grant believes his survival is due to the fact the Rex couldn't see him. By The Lost World, Chrichton had different palentological evidence that suggested that view was wrong and he retconned it more in line with the same reason Malcolm survived (i.e. the Rex wasn't hungry, just perplexed at Grant's actions). I guess you could consider it a knock at himself, as Chrichton writes Dogdson's men to be similarly misinformed later which gets one of them killed.

By The Lost World Malcolm had been declared clinically dead at least once and remained near death for quite a while. But the bigger problem most people have is with the animals on Sorna in the first place, but Wu's musings in the first book point to various problems with the engineering and versioning process.

That said, I have a great love for almost every Jurassic Park game I've come across (...even The Lost World for the playstation is alright). Although I never got to play Trespasser, there's a decent LP that has quality information. My favorites were the Genesis and SNES Jurassic Parks (probably followed by JP:Rampage Edition). I don't think I ever got passed the T-Rex in the NES version.

The Sega CD version is pretty great (and an actual good use of in-game video), but it's mostly a puzzle game to every other system's action game.

As someone else who has played and enjoyed the vast majority of Jurassic Park games, I can't recommend the Sega Master System/Game Gear version enough. I really do believe it's the best JP game period.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    JoshykinsJoshykins Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As someone else who has played and enjoyed the vast majority of Jurassic Park games, I can't recommend the Sega Master System/Game Gear version enough. I really do believe it's the best JP game period.

Yeah the Game Gear version confused me as a kid, I just couldn't wrap my head around who the hell I was playing as.

Joshykins on
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

This man has the right of it. New research had come out between the writing of Jurassic Park and the writing of The Lost World that cast serious doubt on the "can't see movement" theory of T-Rexes. But Crichton had committed to the movement-based theory pretty heavily in the first book, so retconning it in the second book required a lot of contortion that still doesn't satisfy what's in the first book.

As for Malcolm being dead, I don't think Crichton anticipated that he'd write a sequel to Jurassic Park and would need a character to return. Whoooooops. In the end, Malcolm's awesomeness as a character outweighed the fact that he was supposed to be dead.

And who here didn't like the first book?!? The second is pretty mediocre, but the first one is completely tits, seeing as how the entire back half of the book is, "Things are pretty bad, but at least the power is back on and the raptors didn't escape! Oh, um, the power's off again, and the raptors have escaped and will spend the next 150 pages systematically breaking into our buildings and hunting us down."

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

This man has the right of it. New research had come out between the writing of Jurassic Park and the writing of The Lost World that cast serious doubt on the "can't see movement" theory of T-Rexes. But Crichton had committed to the movement-based theory pretty heavily in the first book, so retconning it in the second book required a lot of contortion that still doesn't satisfy what's in the first book.

As for Malcolm being dead, I don't think Crichton anticipated that he'd write a sequel to Jurassic Park and would need a character to return. Whoooooops. In the end, Malcolm's awesomeness as a character outweighed the fact that he was supposed to be dead.

And who here didn't like the first book?!? The second is pretty mediocre, but the first one is completely tits, seeing as how the entire back half of the book is, "Things are pretty bad, but at least the power is back on and the raptors didn't escape! Oh, um, the power's off again, and the raptors have escaped and will spend the next 150 pages systematically breaking into our buildings and hunting us down."

Yeah, was a fun read.

In retrospect, reading it walking home was not the best idea, given that I walked across occasionally busy streets but couldn't look away from the grisly raptor carnage.

What I'm saying is, I'm lucky the worst that happened between me and motor vehicles was one running over my right foot, given reading habits.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I "read" Jurassic Park as an audiobook during a summer job in a file room. While it was better than the crappy pop music my co-workers decided to play listening to the narrator's best attempt to mimic Lex's high voice made some parts painful.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Lex is ...really annoying regardless

Chrichton doesn't do particularly well writing children. He ends up giving Lex a vast assortment of negative character traits, and Tim all of the positives. Just about the only good thing she does is spot the raptors on the ship. Otherwise it's "Daddy doesn't like you," "dinosaurs are stupid," "Tim is very interested in sex," "I want ice cream!" etc.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm pretty sure I read Jurassic Park back in...maybe 1994? After I had read and re-read the "junior novelization" of the movie a million times. It was sitting in my school's library and one day I picked it up, checked it out. What followed was a read that even today I remember as being epic in scale. I was eight-ish at the time so a book of that size and complexity was way beyond anything I had ever encountered before, and damn did I find it amazing. My vocabulary expanded massively thanks to it, too. Not that I could correctly pronounce many of the newly-discovered words or anything.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    Gaspode_TGaspode_T Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Believe it or not I am playing through Wallace & Gromit by Telltale on 360...If Telltale can even make a claymation game with such weird humor fun to play through, I have a lot of confidence they can do Jurassic Park and keep it a little bit light hearted. One of the best Jurassic Park games was the SNES one, because it didn't take itself too seriously.

Gaspode_T on
    Gaspode The Talking Wonder Dog
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gaspode_t TwitPic: http://twitpic.com/photos/gaspode_t
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I LOVE Jurassic Park. The movies and the books. All 3 movies were great.

I really hope they put this game on the 360, and don't decide to keep it from us Xboxers like they did with Back to the Future for some reason.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lex is ...really annoying regardless

Chrichton doesn't do particularly well writing children. He ends up giving Lex a vast assortment of negative character traits, and Tim all of the positives. Just about the only good thing she does is spot the raptors on the ship. Otherwise it's "Daddy doesn't like you," "dinosaurs are stupid," "Tim is very interested in sex," "I want ice cream!" etc.

You're right, I forgot how annoying Lex is. By the time she coughs and wakes up the sleeping T-Rex while they're out on the lake, I was thinking, "Jesus, just fucking throw her at the T-Rex at this point. God and Charles Darwin clearly want her to die." The movie did a good job of making her redeeming by giving her... what is it? Oh yeah. "Positive character traits."

JP was also my first epic read as a kid, also around the age of 8. The 400 pages intimidated me, so I just stuck to Grant's sections at first. Which was a shame, because everything involving Muldoon as he gets drunker and drunker and starts playing around with a rocket launcher is just golden.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The only part I skipped was the introduction with Malcolm (I've read through it once since...otherwise I still skip it). I've told people before that if our world ever degenerates into Fahrenheit-451, I'll be the one running off into the woods with a memorized Jurassic Park. It was basically my go-to book for self-selected reading in 4th grade. Eventually in high school I made a rudimentary copy of the book's computer system for programming class.

I also feel Jurassic Park 3 gets a lot of hate for what is essentially the missing scenes from Jurassic Park 1 (sort of a mix between The Lost World and the missing Jurassic Park scenes, really). Sure, you've got feathered velociraptors that "communicate," which is sort of blah. And the fact kid Kirby basically says the exact opposite about big dinosaurs being on the outskirts of the island that Hammond does. And nonsensical parasailing near a quarantined island...

But you've got the missing aviary, the jungle river, the equivalent of the sauropod building, and treks through the jungle.

President Rex on