As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What Nintendo 64 games have I missed?

124»

• Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mario Golf and Tennis were flawless on the n64.

Also, the N64 has the very finest rail shooter of all time. Pokemon Snap. I'm not kidding. The only bad thing about the game is that the controls don't work as well on the Wii. Find it, get it, thank me later.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Lork wrote: »
    dukenukem64518092.jpg

If you have friends who will play it with you, this is secretly the best version of Duke. Supposedly some people are working on a mod to bring some of its features over to the PC version, but who knows when or if that'll ever come out.

edit: It also has the best box art of any N64 game by virtue of not being a shitty 3D render of a guy.

This so hard. It's multiplayer was second to Goldeneye. Hell, I wasted many hours just playing against the bots, rigging rooms wall to wall with proximity mines and luring them in.

The Nintendo 64 has brough me some of my most fond memories in video gaming, and to this day Banjo-Kazooie still remains my favorite game of all time. I've recently tried it's sequel for the first time on the 360, and it's hard to get into the flow of it. After BK Rare got pretty collect-a-thon happy and in my opinion a lot of their games suffered for it. At least for those without extreme OCD. I only beat Donkey Kong 64's normal ending and that was enough. Couldn't be bothered to try for 100%. Banjo-Kazooie had a nice ballance between tight level design and just enough stuff to collect to keep you interested.

Freakin' love Banjo-Kazooie, but I just cannot force myself through Banjo-Tooie.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, i liked Banjo-Tooie a ton more than Banjo-Kazooie.
    Maybe by virtue of playing the second one first...

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I absolutely love the N64, my favorite console and I can't explain why. All the good games have already been mentioned, sadly.

I have to say I like playing Megaman Legends on the N64 more than on the PlayStation, mainly because of the controller and the smooth textures despite the framerate problems. The fact that they managed to port a CD-based game (well, two with Resident Evil 2) into a 64MB cart is amazing, even if they do look compressed.

I also had a blast with Fighters Destiny and Quest 64. But Quest 64 does have a lot of camera problems and repetitive music.

Anyone else got the awesome Hori 64 Pad Mini? I got a red one from eBay when they weren't as expensive (and it wasn't used, either), and I have to say that while the stick is superior to a GameCube's, the overall design is not the best one and the D-pad is too close to the A and B buttons.

I got Silicon Valley a few years ago and couldn't get into it. Convince me to give it another chance; does it get better?

RockinX on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tooie is a case of bigger isn't better. It's such a slog to get through.

Arteen on
  • Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arteen wrote: »

For more information on this phenomenon, see Donkey Kong 64.

Edd on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Edd wrote: »

Awful awful game. I don't know how I forced myself through it. I just did not like what they did.

I wanted more Donkey Kong Country, and only got it last year on the Wii...

Icemopper on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Towards the end on the N64, Rare kind of when overboard on the collecting aspect of their games. DK64 was the apex.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Towards the end on the N64, Rare kind of when overboard on the collecting aspect of their games. DK64 was the apex.

And Banjo Kazooie was the sweet spot. Collecting those notes was awesome! It is one of the few games I probably spent hundreds of hours playing.

It isn't on the Virtual Console is it? I would grab it in an instant.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Or the nadir, more aptly.

Opening up the menu screen to display your items is a baffling affair. My god all the little flashing symbols....

Edd on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »

And Banjo Kazooie was the sweet spot. Collecting those notes was awesome! It is one of the few games I probably spent hundreds of hours playing.

I remember being crushed when I lent the game to a girl and she erased my 100% save. RAAGE! Nailed her though, so it all turned out good.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Edd wrote: »

Awful awful game. I don't know how I forced myself through it. I just did not like what they did.

I wanted more Donkey Kong Country, and only got it last year on the Wii...

I loved it when it came out, actually. I've been replaying it lately, and while I still like it, I'm finding myself more peeved about details like the same music being in every level (only remixed), the fact that you have to switch Kongs too often and that animals who should not know the Kongs refer to them by their names. Other than that, there are a few details with the controls with which I can live, but it's still a good game.

I hope that pun was intended.

RockinX on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The mine cart levels were the only redeeming thing in Donkey Kong 64. The whole rap at the beginning was like an in invitation to stop playing the game right there.

Has anyone mentioned Xtreme-G yet? I remember having pretty good times with that game, but also yelling at the controls a lot...

Cristoval on
  • Options
    InsiderInsider Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Harvest Moon 64, Ogre Battle 64, Body Harvest, Aidyn Chronicles, Mario Golf and Tennis, and Rayman 2 are all some games on the 64 that I felt went under the radar that really good.

Insider on
    Steam
    Sneaky..
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Cristoval wrote: »
    The mine cart levels were the only redeeming thing in Donkey Kong 64. The whole rap at the beginning was like an in invitation to stop playing the game right there.

Are you kidding? That's the only rap I can actually enjoy. I used to leave it every time I played the game... But then I got bored and just skipped it to play the game.

RockinX on
  • Options
    never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    1004978.jpg

never-ending-reign on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hexen is another game that is quite excellent.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

It's on the XBLA I believe. Not sure how good the port is, though.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If only I had an X-Box :(

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    :( Sorry Ice.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's ok. Give me yours and we'll call it even? ;-)

Nah, my backlog is too big anyway, but thanks for the offer!:rotate:

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I've been trying to catch up on my PS3 games (thanks to my new DualShock 3 controller) so I'd be able to loan it out. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    MonkeyPantsMonkeyPants Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    For N64 I've only played GoldenEye 007, Shadows of the Empire and Super Mario 64.
    Yes I've never played either Zelda or Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie games for the system.

MonkeyPants on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    urahonky wrote: »

It's on the XBLA I believe. Not sure how good the port is, though.

The port was excellent. widescreen/720p/1080i/p(?), and it played just like the N64 version. Of course they had to remove everything that was Nintendo, but still.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You know Hexen was a PC game first, right?

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Excitebike 64 is kind of OK

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You know Hexen was a PC game first, right?

I'm pretty sure the console version was four player too though. We rented it when I first got my 64 but I think we went back to Mario Kart pretty quick afterwards.

Anyone remember Buck Bumble? I sunk a suprising amount of hours into that game.

The theme song was catchy as hell

Kelor on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    plufim wrote: »

Yeah, I didn't care for it as much as anything else in the Excite series, before or since.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    f-zerox1.jpg

never-ending-reign on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    plufim wrote: »

Yeah, I didn't care for it as much as anything else in the Excite series, before or since.

I loved Excitebike 64! I thought it was really awesome! Especially the endless desert you could ride around in. That blew my mind away.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited February 2011
    Why isn't Excitebike 64 on the VC yet

Opium on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I would get it!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    High-five to whoever said Shadowman 64. Love love love that game.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800