As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 3 Coming in November

BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
The LA Times is reporting that developer Infinity Ward has failed to create Modern Warfare 3 without all the talent that left last March and that Activision has pulled in Raven Software and Sledgehammer Games to bulk up the failing studio.

Quote:
Activision has quietly tapped Sledgehammer Games, a Northern California studio, to help out with the making of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, according to people familiar with the situation. The game has not been officially announced by Activision. But the title is well into production and is expected to come out in November, the same month that the publisher has annually released a new Call of Duty installment, people with knowledge of situation said. Modern Warfare 3 will be the first game Infinity Ward has produced since the departure of of company co-founders Jason West and Vince Zampella.

People close to the matter said Infinity Ward is working closely with Sledgehammer, which is led by a team recruited away from Activision's rival Electronic Arts Inc. The two studios are equally sharing duties of producing the single-player portion of the game, the sources said.

Activision has also brought in Wisconsin-based Raven Software, which is working on the online multi-player elements for Modern Warfare 3, sources said.

via Evil Avatar.

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
BritishDavid on

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ah, Activision.

What can I say but "Bobby Kotick is an asshole, isn't he"?

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I only hope that Modern Warfare 3 brings back the return of Spec Op missions, with 4 player support, fuck it why not 8 or 16 player missions too?

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ever notice that CoD games tend to be released around Remembrance Day?

Dram on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I only hope that Modern Warfare 3 brings back the return of Spec Op missions, with 4 player support, fuck it why not 8 or 16 player missions too?

The mission with the chopper was a thing of beauty.

And zombies is a pretty fun diversion.

It seems that MW is at its best when it's not being the main game.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    what the hell happened to Raven software?

Soldier of Fortune (2000)
    Star Trek: Voyager – Elite Force (2000)
    Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force: Virtual Voyager (2001)
    Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (2002)
    Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix (2002)

all games I played and loved. It seems only fitting actually that the guys behind Double Helix's multiplayer would inherit Call of Duty, but since then? what? We've had a bunch of X-Men games of varying degree's of success and Singularity? Which until just now i didn't even know Raven developed, should I check it out?

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Leitner wrote: »

my Fav spec op mission was the one with the House in the woods, i played that mission with my-then girlfriend at the time and had so much fun doing that on Veteran, screaming abuse at her, when we finally completed the mission, felt so good, highlight of that whole relationship, now excuse me, while i go cry.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

MW2's campaign was well done.

Not well written, obviously, just well pulled off.

adytum on
  • Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BUT I JUST BOUGHT BLACK OPS....

... Fuck

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    are you being Ironic? God I hope so.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »
    BUT I JUST BOUGHT BLACK OPS....

... Fuck

Activision has made their plans to whore out CoD until we're completely sick of it pretty clear for years now.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The LA Times is reporting that developer Infinity Ward has failed to create Modern Warfare 3 without all the talent that left last March and that Activision has pulled in Raven Software and Sledgehammer Games to bulk up the failing studio.

Quote:
    Activision has quietly tapped Sledgehammer Games, a Northern California studio, to help out with the making of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, according to people familiar with the situation. The game has not been officially announced by Activision. But the title is well into production and is expected to come out in November, the same month that the publisher has annually released a new Call of Duty installment, people with knowledge of situation said. Modern Warfare 3 will be the first game Infinity Ward has produced since the departure of of company co-founders Jason West and Vince Zampella.

People close to the matter said Infinity Ward is working closely with Sledgehammer, which is led by a team recruited away from Activision's rival Electronic Arts Inc. The two studios are equally sharing duties of producing the single-player portion of the game, the sources said.

Activision has also brought in Wisconsin-based Raven Software, which is working on the online multi-player elements for Modern Warfare 3, sources said.

via Evil Avatar.

Modern Warfare 3 can start with:

"look we can't explain what happened in the last game so don't expect us to try. Go read a wiki article or something leave me the fuck alone.

The Russians are still bad though FYI"

Then bam i'm killing loads of Russians.

Karl on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    While I have no problem, theoretically, with the shift in developers, I never like hearing about great titles being pushed out the door. Can't rush greatness, and all that. Activision needs their holiday releases, and it doesn't inspire much confidence that it's going to be a 2011 release, yet this is the first word we've seen or heard that the title is in production at all. I guess we'll see how much of a sequel it is, other than the name

Javen on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Karl wrote: »

Quote:

via Evil Avatar.

"look we can't explain what happened in the last game so don't expect us to try. Go read a wiki article or something leave me the fuck alone.

No.

SPACE RUSSIANS.

Would make more sense than the last couple plots, at minimum.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    slurpeekillaslurpeekilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    all the rumors so far are that MW3 is going to be a prequel to CoD 4.

slurpeekilla on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Quote:

via Evil Avatar.

No.

SPACE RUSSIANS.

Would make more sense than the last couple plots, at minimum.

The plot for MW1 was fine. MW2......yeah what the fuck i dunno.
    Shepard engineered the whole thing to provoke Russia to invade so he could counter-invade Russia. Well thats what i got. Someone was smoking crack when writing that plot.

Karl on
  • Options
    slurpeekillaslurpeekilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    the writers for MW2's plot basically just took a Tom Clancy novel and flushed any tiny semblance of plausibility they could find down the nearest toilet

slurpeekilla on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I thought that Zampella & Co still owned the rights to MW franchise. Oh dear.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Shepard engineered the whole thing to provoke Russia to invade so he could counter-invade Russia. Well thats what i got. Someone was smoking crack when writing that plot.

I always thought that was the case too. but every synopsis I've read has specifically stated;
    Shepard engineered the conflict to make himself a war hero

...which makes even LESS sense.

Dram on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dram wrote: »

I always thought that was the case too. but every synopsis I've read has specifically stated;

Yeah.
    Everyone knows Shepard is a Sole Survivor.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dram wrote: »

That's even worse.
    I was under the impression that he manipulated the Russians (by sending in the player to infiltrate the Russian terrorists and blowing his cover) so they would invade. That would cause loads of american citizens to join the army and he's have a large enough force to invade Russia and win because he was certain that a ultra-nationalist Russia needed to be crippled.

Fucking ridiculous.

Karl on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hope the B1-B is a killstreak in MW3. My baby is so under-appreciated. :(

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just want a tube that shoots AC130's. Or if IW borrows them from Treyarch, a master key that shoots German shepards.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This would have been unthinkable 2 years ago but I don't think IW is essential to making a good CoD game.

jonny439 on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Meh...we'll see.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ah, Call of Duty, at which point can I lump it in with sports games for releasing yearly updates?

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You could have done that a while ago.

That being said I am curious to see when the sells will start dropping off. Heck, I started at MW2 and I'm already getting kind of tired of 'em.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    You could have done that a while ago.

That being said I am curious to see when the sells will start dropping off. Heck, I started at MW2 and I'm already getting kind of tired of 'em.

Holy shit, there's been a Call of Duty game every year like clock work since COD2 (2005) and from COD3 on all iterations have been released in November. I played the COD1 and Modern Warfare and I was done.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    adytum wrote: »

It's fucking fine. Was it nonsensical? Sometimes, but who the fuck is scrutinizing the story that much? Never heard of "a good popcorn movie?" Same idea.

what the hell happened to Raven software?

Soldier of Fortune (2000)
    Star Trek: Voyager – Elite Force (2000)
    Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force: Virtual Voyager (2001)
    Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (2002)
    Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix (2002)

all games I played and loved. It seems only fitting actually that the guys behind Double Helix's multiplayer would inherit Call of Duty, but since then? what? We've had a bunch of X-Men games of varying degree's of success and Singularity? Which until just now i didn't even know Raven developed, should I check it out?

I'm playing Singularity right now and while it's got some weird story shit going on, the game is pretty fun. The TMD is pretty fun. It's not on the level of their greats (Heretic II, Jedi Outcast/Academy), but still worth the time, especially since it can be found pretty cheap already.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want a game with Call Of Duty Mechanics and gameplay set in the Star Wars universe. No jedi, just the imperial and rebel grunts. Or if not that, a Call of Duty FUTURE WARFARE, with laser guns, and orbital bombardment... yeah that would be cool.

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MW3 will have dual wielding LMGs, tank kill streaks available at 3 kills, Davy Crocket launchers, and instakill, minute to reload flint lock pistols.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »

It's fucking fine. Was it nonsensical? Sometimes, but who the fuck is scrutinizing the story that much? Never heard of "a good popcorn movie?" Same idea.

Are you yelling at me?

I thought the MW2 campaign was a lot of fun. The story was okay right up until it fell apart.

I just finished codblops and while the story made sense, the campaign was mostly boring with a few notable exceptions.

adytum on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Zombies isn't in MW.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    MW3 will have dual wielding LMGs, tank kill streaks available at 3 kills, Davy Crocket launchers, and instakill, minute to reload flint lock pistols.

Akimbo flintlocks will be the most unbalanced weapons in the game.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I feel very odd saying this but I can't imagine a Cod Made by Infinity Ward to be good.
    Does this even count as Infinity Ward? I can't decide.

glithert on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Are you yelling at me?

I thought the MW2 campaign was a lot of fun. The story was okay right up until it fell apart.

I just finished codblops and while the story made sense, the campaign was mostly boring with a few notable exceptions.

Meant to reply to another post, sorry. :P

I really don't think the story ever "fell apart," unless you were really taking it seriously at all in the first place. It was a sorta crazy Clancy-esque plot, and the gameplay had enough set-pieces to keep you interested in seeing what came next. I'd still rather play through it a fourth time than play through Black Ops a second.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KermiKermi Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    I'm personally looking forward to MW3, if noy because it will (hopefully) resolve theM W2 cliffhanger and then I can stop buying COD games. Black Ops was a disappointment, really not even up to the standard of previous Treyarch efforts - World at War had a better single player campaign.

I actually went back and played some COD4 multipalyer over the weekend, and that's exactly what the Black Ops multiplayer feels like. A little bit clunky and outdated with unsatisfying kills - the difference is, COD4 is 3 years old, Black Ops is 3 months old.

MW2 might be a noob tuber's paradise with positively overpowers loadouts and perks, but at least it ran smoothly.

Kermi on
    The road before me is lit by the bridges burning behind me.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I agree. Honestly, I'm hoping MW3 is like MW2 just with the more annoying stuff like DC tubes removed.

That being said, they should add the Blackbird and put in split-screen.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tubes you say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL-miAlbdds&feature=related

( Good god I'm glad I traded that game in. )

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    jonny439 wrote: »
    This would have been unthinkable 2 years ago but I don't think IW is essential to making a good CoD game.

Good CoD game? :lol:

Algertman on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pretty sure Raven developed Quake 4 but too lazy to look it up.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705