As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Armored Core 5 - You got Chromehounds in my AC!

KlykaKlyka DO you have anySPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Games and Technology
You know that game where you ride around in a giant robot and blow stuff up and then customize it with various parts so that you can blow more stuff up.

armored-core-v-20110202103818069.jpg

You lost me at V... What the fudge is Armored Core?
Armored core is a 3D mecha-based game, a la mechwarrior but with a third person perspective and allot more depth (think the the kid pool vs the abyss). But the major sticking point for those not "in the know" its made by From Software, the guys behind Dark Souls/Demon's so the expected complexity and difficulty are present.

- It is the 14th installment and 5th main installment of the series. It will not be a sequel to Armored Core: For Answer and Armored Core 4.
- Will rely more on tactics and using the geography of the level rather than high-speed finger work. Levels are set within city type environments and are more tactical in consequence.
- Smaller mechs (5 meter tall, as opposed to the 10 meter mech from the previous releases), which will allow more varied, "three dimensional" stages.
- A greater emphasis on stealth as a result of the size change, which allows the mech to maneuver between alleyways and buildings for cover.
The ever present Online mode.
One of the major addition to the franchise is the new online mode. You start up by picking a faction and as you score victories for your faction in single-player or alongside your faction online, you gain control of virtual territory. Factions may customize their acquired territory. Not only can you add physical features to your territory, but also set up missions and gauntlets for opponents to attempt. If rivals succeed, they may acquire some of your faction's territory.

now for some nora in my armored core

http://youtu.be/05eIrN4B40o

and some other good videos.

multiplayer demo
http://youtu.be/TkWlIFtJtTI

4 man "Boss Battle"
http://youtu.be/VwibKw_jcZU

! Armored Core V PSN List !

Teams

We Are Nice Guys

PA Name - PSN ID

DaMoonRulz - Sweaty2501
chocobolicious - Rawyn
Kainy - Kain3k
Advocate - Advocate125
Virgil_Leads_You - L4ST_L3VI4TH4N

! Armored Core V XBox360 List !

Teams

We Are Nice Guys

PA Name - Xbox360 ID

Marslo - Mars on the bar
Zanshinretsu - CR zan
MindLib - MindLiberator
SkyTurnsRed - Skyturnsred
0Replace4Displac - Scatman USA
TOGSolid - TOGSolid
mere_immortal - lego pencil
KlatBlutig - Klat Blutig
Knight_ - Knight is Crazy
The Deliverator - DLVR8OR
Column - ColumnD

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
lTDyp.jpg
Klyka on

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Interesting. Shame I'm not much of an online guy. Hope that there's still a half-decent single player component strapped on.

yalborap on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yalbo. You can be a commander. You can send those reinforcements just in time to save us all and be a hero.

You know you want it.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The problem with this is, Balance.

Persistent online play always has balance issues. Defenses that become enemies? that's just asking for balance issues right there. Mechassault 2 suffered horribly because of this component (and being a shitty mechwarrior game in general)

So... I'm getting a bad vibe from this already unless they plan on doing some decent tweaking for making this enjoyable.

For the love of mechs,
    If multiplayer combat is going to be your main focus, then GET IT RIGHT!

Viscountalpha on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh man, I love the Armored Core games. I'm totally down for this one as well (I'm sure a whore)

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited February 2011
    I'll be hopeful and just assume that if they make an entire game out of it, they at least thought about how to handle it properly.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The commander not being in a mech kinda sucks

That's a missed opportunity, I feel

Still, though. This sounds neat!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited February 2011
    We'll have to see what the commander can actually do. Maybe he's got some cool stuff?

I feel that with a game as fast as AC, it would be weird to have the commander stand around in his mech navigating menus. He'd get sniped a lot and would just rage.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I want to like Armored Core, I really do. It's the last proper mech franchise out there.

But, Jesus, the last game was fucking terrible. The framerate got so bad at times it was literally unplayable.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Day fucking 1. Cherrn are you talking about 4 answer? What platform were you playing it on? I got about 50% through the 360 version and never noticed in frame rate issues. So amped about this and Dark Souls. From is probably my favorite dev of this generation. Yeah their games are never perfect but they are a hell of a lot more interesting than most stuff these days.

corin7 on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My problem with AC3 and beyond was getting used to a new control scheme after learning how to use the shoulder buttons to look up/down and strafe. I was hoping that getting into AC4 (and AC4A) would help fix that being on a new system with a new controller, but I never got a chance to play them.

I wouldn't mind trying this out though once I get settled. Online sounds awesome.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited February 2011
    My problem with the AC series in general is that there is no real customization because the only way to win that game is to build a fast mech with legs and jets and shit

Because big slow armored mechs with four legs or tank treads or whatever just get fucking reamed

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    - You can set up defenses in your territories beforehand. If no players are online in a team, the defenses become the enemies for other players trying to take it.

This is a really confusing sentence in general. So if nobody on your team is online the enemy gets your defensive stuff?

I also only got a hold of chromehounds after is was long dead so I never got a chance to get into it. Hopefully it this game will have a healthy, long lasting community.

Jubeh on
    edited February 2011
    What I wonder is, what is a "team"? Is it the 5 people? Is a team a "faction"? But wouldn't there always be people of a faction online? If a team is 5 people and it can take territories, does that mean we'll have thousands of factions trying to take over land?

There is still a LOT to be answered.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jubeh wrote: »
    - You can set up defenses in your territories beforehand. If no players are online in a team, the defenses become the enemies for other players trying to take it.

This is a really confusing sentence in general. So if nobody on your team is online the enemy gets your defensive stuff?

From how I'm interpreting that sentence is that if you don't have anyone online, the attackers have to fight through whatever defenses you set up instead. So, like, AI defenders.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It, in that sentence, refers to the territory, I believe.

So, the defenses you set-up before hand are the enemies for the other players trying to take your territory.

Elvenshae on
  • JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh I get it. Okay well that makes a lot more sense haha.

I wonder what defenses encompass though. Did chromehounds have that feature?

Jubeh on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »
    My problem with the AC series in general is that there is no real customization because the only way to win that game is to build a fast mech with legs and jets and shit

Because big slow armored mechs with four legs or tank treads or whatever just get fucking reamed

Pretty much. I honestly think it's kind of stupid how AC's went from walking tanks that could sorta fly to glorified jets with legs.

Not asking for Mechwarrior levels of slowness, but as of AC4 there is no point ever to not be boosting. Should just have boosters going automatically and remap the button to something else.

BlueDestiny on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    corin7 wrote: »
    Day fucking 1. Cherrn are you talking about 4 answer? What platform were you playing it on? I got about 50% through the 360 version and never noticed in frame rate issues. So amped about this and Dark Souls. From is probably my favorite dev of this generation. Yeah their games are never perfect but they are a hell of a lot more interesting than most stuff these days.

Yes, 4 Answer. On PS3.

It was like the third stage or something (the one where you fly across water); when you actually get into the action, the framerate becomes a total slideshow. I'm actually astonished it was ever released in that state.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited February 2011
    Cherrn wrote: »

Yes, 4 Answer. On PS3.

It was like the third stage or something (the one where you fly across water); when you actually get into the action, the framerate becomes a total slideshow. I'm actually astonished it was ever released in that state.

aghh prolly PS3 specific then. I am way past that mission and frame rate has been fine.

corin7 on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Giving the Armored Core franchise a dose of Chromehounds can only be a good thing. The AC series started off favoring speedy mechs and has just become horrendously more and more lopsided in their favor with each game.

Chromehounds may have had issues, but at least a heavy could utterly ruin a fast, light mech if it made a mistake. I would be very happy to see some balance introduced to the series which steers it away from the ludicrous Gundam-style combat and towards giant robots of all types smashing the crap out of each other.

The game will definitely need to add some incentives for getting people to use different classes of mechs; Chromehounds had issues with people kitting out mechs purely to destroy other mechs rather than fulfill important roles. People would probably be a lot more willing to field role-oriented mechs if role-specific items brought added benefits like airstrikes or ECM attacks.

And I doubt that the AI-controlled defenses for online play will amount to much; based on 99% of what I've seen in the Armored Core games, defeating defenses will be purely a matter of standing just outside their range and using missiles to defeat them safely. That, or skipping in and out from behind rocks to do just about the same thing. From what I remember, weapon emplacement in the AC games are either pointlessly ineffective or disgustingly overpowered. I don't know if the devs even know how to make effective, balanced weapon emplacements.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Chromehounds. Ohhh Chromehounds. I took my sweet ass time doing the single player tutorial with the hopes of doing some amazing team based action/rts goodness. Then the clan system and robot customization turned out to be a nightmare. I don't think I got a single match working properly. The premise was absolutely brilliant though.

I'm with Ninja Snarl. If the online play works, this will be a must have for me. Each player should have a ready-to-go class from the start so they can switch as needed, and that mandatory clan stuff can go die.

TEAMWORK IS COOL GUYZ.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Haha, just actually watched the debut video and I sincerely doubt we're going to be seeing anything but everybody in flying, speedy mechs. Every mech the video showed was flying at some point or another. Sigh.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thank you ninja snarl for making my point 110% much more clear. Honestly, i hope its a good title and friends ask, "are you going to buy AC5?"

Viscountalpha on
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I hope AC5 pulls a Turok and gives us crazy original weapons.

Xehalus on
    edited February 2011
    Damn it people we need more excitement for this game.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/02/armored_core_5_return/

Sounds fucking fantastic. Multiplayer has the potential to be better than chromehounds if they pull it off.

corin7 on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Which game did they get in my Front Mission: Evolved that made it suck balls?

Because I have heard people say it was Armored Core but I am a generous soul and am more inclined to think FME just achieved ball sucking all on its own.

Gaslight on
    edited February 2011
    Damn it people we need more excitement for this game.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/02/armored_core_5_return/

Sounds fucking fantastic. Multiplayer has the potential to be better than chromehounds if they pull it off.

That all sounds really,really cool.

I can't wait to get a 5 man team rolling and take over territories while building huge fortresses at home!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Lots of screenshots on Kotaku!

Check them out!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    screenshots look good.

I'm just praying that they get some sort of balance between mech types going on, I'm not a huge fan of the super fast flying around with a jetpack mech.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    edited February 2011
    Oh my... those screens look fantastic. So much love for From Soft right now.

corin7 on
    edited February 2011
    I am still sad I never got to play Chromehounds

Jerry going on about being a communications mech or something, and having in game voice chat tied to a mechanic where if they left his effective range they can no longer communicate and he has no real weapons so he's just sitting there listening to static and hoping they know what they're doing

That sounds almost Steel Battalion-esque without being totally impenetrable

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Foomy wrote: »
    screenshots look good.

I'm just praying that they get some sort of balance between mech types going on, I'm not a huge fan of the super fast flying around with a jetpack mech.

Seeing as this time online mode revolves around taking territory and defending it, I can see huge mechs (like the tank mech shown in one of the shots) to have their proper role. Who needs to be agile when I can sit here in the middle of my AI mechs, having huge gatlings guns and tons of armor?

Olivaw, Chromehound was REALLY cool (if unbalanced) but sadly that whole radio mechanic wouldn't work anymore nowadays, seeing as we have xbox live parties D:

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Foomy wrote: »

I'm a huge fan of those sorts of 'mechs.

As lightly-armored, glass-cannon-at-best scouts.

You know, providing forward targeting data and observation platforms for my massive, artillery-based beast-of-a-tank 'mech about 6 miles away. :D

Elvenshae on
    edited February 2011
    I am looking forward to hearing more about those "Over Weapons" (DAT ENGRISH!).

I imagine something like a huge particle cannon that needs to be charged for like 20 seconds and one of your buddies needs to tag a location for you to shoot at it. And then....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Shit, how did I miss an AC thread?

I loves me some mechs. This seems to hearken back to the PS2 era of the AC series.

Sounds a lot like the Kojima cannons, Klyka, sans the target designation bit.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
    edited February 2011
    Also, did we talk about fucking PARACHUTE MECHS yet?

I hope that's how the commander calls in support units :D

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Only if there's some type of attack where I can drop the chute, land on some smaller mech, then crush him.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
    edited February 2011
    I hope there will be tanks, AI mechs, AI helicopters/planes, turrets, artillery, ALL THAT JAZZ.

I'll go commander almost every round in a heart beat if I actually get to play a bit of "mild RTS" plus coordinate my team! That map UI looks SO SLICK. I love those kind of computer UIs.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    At one point in he franchise the light flying mechs were balanced.

Just, for some stupid reason, they add in weapons that allows that balance to be broken: "Oh, here's a shoulder mounted grenade launcher that can be fired without kneeling!".

After awhile, they just said 'fuck it' and just allowed us to dual wield shoulder mounted orbital bombardment weapons while doing barrel rolls at mach 5 in the air.

Casually Hardcore on
    edited February 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Which game did they get in my Front Mission: Evolved that made it suck balls?

Because I have heard people say it was Armored Core but I am a generous soul and am more inclined to think FME just achieved ball sucking all on its own.

I hear it was more the real-time bit that screwed it up over anything else. Most of the fun of the Front Mission games was the turn-based aspect which really let you strategize. FME ended up being real-time, except it didn't have the solid feel of Chromehounds or the additions of a million prior games behind it like the Armored Core series has. So instead of all the fun pilot and unit customization combined with special abilities and turn-based combat, FME was just a second-rate mech shooter.

As for the AC flying mechs being unbalanced, a huge, huge portion of that is due to the fact that projectiles ended up being so damn slow. Anything short of super-fast rapid-fire weapons or fast homing missiles became useless because everyone could just strafe and avoid everything. Cannons, rockets, grenade launchers, most energy weapons, and a lot of the rifles are worthless because the games just funneled you more and more down a road towards more speed, more machine guns, and more flying.

Flight capability is fine, but there needs to be some kind of serious tradeoff there. Things like flight requiring stripped-down mechs, ammo constraints, added vulnerability to damage, etc. Rather than light mechs being able trounce heavies any time they want, heavies should be able to annihilate a flyer with a single decent salvo without the flyer having to be standing still or five feet away.

Ninja Snarl P on