Options

Armored Core 5 - You got Chromehounds in my AC!

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    At one point in he franchise the light flying mechs were balanced.

Just, for some stupid reason, they add in weapons that allows that balance to be broken: "Oh, here's a shoulder mounted grenade launcher that can be fired without kneeling!".

After awhile, they just said 'fuck it' and just allowed us to dual wield shoulder mounted orbital bombardment weapons while doing barrel rolls at mach 5 in the air.

Man, hasn't human+ been in the game since like the first iteration? You've always been able to fly around with a nade on your back.

AC4 and ACFA were way too fast but they're fun by themselves.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Just, for some stupid reason, they add in weapons that allows that balance to be broken: "Oh, here's a shoulder mounted grenade launcher that can be fired without kneeling!".

After awhile, they just said 'fuck it' and just allowed us to dual wield shoulder mounted orbital bombardment weapons while doing barrel rolls at mach 5 in the air.

Man, hasn't human+ been in the game since like the first iteration? You've always been able to fly around with a nade on your back.

Well, yeah. The Human+ thing just throws the balance right out the window. Couple that with the so-slow-you-can-dodge-them-all projectiles and you're basically forced to use a super fast light mech.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Well, yeah. The Human+ thing just throws the balance right out the window. Couple that with the so-slow-you-can-dodge-them-all projectiles and you're basically forced to use a super fast light mech.

The gap between tank and light became too large when AC4/ACFA came out. It was fine initially.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Maybe I am just a freak of nature but I loved the super high speed of FA. I didn't find it hard to control one bit. Especially multiplayer at times I felt it wasn't fast enough... Honestly the faster it is the better!

Though I was really high on the mp leaderboards too at one point so maybe I am just a freak.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    While I'm excited for this game I died a little inside when I read that NA won't be getting it until 2012.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/02/armored-core-5-team-based-online-multiplayer-detailed/

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would just like to go on record by saying that giant robots are indeed awesome, and I look forward to any game in which they play a pivotal role, especially one that looks like it has a good online component.

And I'm also one of those crazy people who did like the zany superfast mechs in AC4/FA. You know in For Answer, the missile arms that looked like wings? My AC used those, the White Glint torso, and the really small, thin reverse joint legs. And I used the round bubble head painted light blue, to look like a jet fighter cockpit. All those made it so it actually looked like it transformed into a plane when it flew around. It was neat.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I dont have a problem with superjet ACs

I have a problem with them being better than everything else.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mechs flying at ridiculous speeds is awesome in the right games and when it's done well. However, zany flying mechs also have zero sense of inertia or weight, making them act like nothing more than a metal dude with a jetpack and no mass.

When a mech is fifty feet tall and weighs hundreds and hundreds of tons, they should act like it. Salvos should make the ground quake. Getting hit with one-ton slugs should make them rock and shudder. They should be metal titans, armies unto themselves, not rocket-powered jitterbugs which ignore 90% of physics.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have a special place in my heart for AC. Albeit a bit disappointed with being a huge online portion of the game being geared that way. As another poster said. I enjoyed the longer missions in the Playstation versions of the game, balancing money vs time of mission vs ammo. Can't say I've loved the direciton of the last couple that were more like, Drop in and rape face as fast as possible to complete the mission.

I'll rent it for sure, but if online is the huge push, I probably won't buy.

That said, I've owned all but one of the games in the series.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think the online component could end up a lot better if it allows for some sort of respawn system. For instance, each player or each team gets a set number of resource points and each respawn counts against that. So depending on role, a person could end up respawning as a light mech 6-7 times while a heavy would only be able to respawn 3-4 times.

One thing I didn't like about Chromehounds was how you basically had one shot at fighting in a mech and then it was game over. The maps were so big that you could stomp across them for twenty minutes to get a thirty-second fight only to end up getting stuck as a little, useless soldier. If the commander is the one doing things like directing respawns (via things like parachute drops) and authorizing resource expenditure, then I could see how a mech-less commander could become an interesting way to play.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    New trailer showing a lot of the in-game graphics but no actual gameplay!

Armored Core 5 Ignite Trailer

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, I have some great memories of playing Chromehounds with some friends and getting into all kinds of battles. If Armored Core 5 only brings half of that fun to the table, it will be well worth a purchase. The only real hope is that they manage to balance the game well so that there's no one "perfect" setup.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cherrn wrote: »
    corin7 wrote: »
    Day fucking 1. Cherrn are you talking about 4 answer? What platform were you playing it on? I got about 50% through the 360 version and never noticed in frame rate issues. So amped about this and Dark Souls. From is probably my favorite dev of this generation. Yeah their games are never perfect but they are a hell of a lot more interesting than most stuff these days.

Yes, 4 Answer. On PS3.

It was like the third stage or something (the one where you fly across water); when you actually get into the action, the framerate becomes a total slideshow. I'm actually astonished it was ever released in that state.

Switch back from Regulations 1.40 to Regulations 1.20.

1.3 and 1.4 introduced insane framerate issues in the PS3 version for whatever reason. The game's a blast, you just need to fiddle with it a bit.

For all the people saying that AC is all about super fast mechs... well, I hate to break it to you, but I beat every single arena match in AC4 and ACFA with the same setup, which was a middleweight and not speedy by any means. I called it... STRATEGOR!

Also note how every AC that they show is a big fucking fatty. Given that the most recent patch for ACFA slowed the pace of the game down, I think they're trying to get away from the jittery insect type of giant robot - especially since I don't think we've seen any of the ACs in 5 exhibit NEXT functions like Primal Armor or Quick Boost. While I do really like Primal Armor, QB tended to turn high-level AC vs AC fights into a painful to watch camera-jerkfest.

I do miss the early games, where tank ACs actually had a place. I think AC5 will give them even less of a place if the primary focus is on AC vs. AC combat, where light ACs shine. The heavy, loaded-to-high-hell-with-guns tank monster that super long missons in AC and AC: PP required is a design that I really liked, as is the middleweight biped with high ammunition weapons that does its best in real missions, not PvP.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    How to beat AC4 and ACFA missions.

Assault Rifle "x" L and R

Missiles "x" L and R (Especially the Saline05 on reg 1.0.... hooooo boy)

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    How to beat AC4 and ACFA missions.

Assault Rifle "x" L and R

Missiles "x" L and R (Especially the Saline05 on reg 1.0.... hooooo boy)

I'm not sure that loadout would auto-win Occupation of Arteria Carpals :lol:

Kainy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Okay, if the above doesn't work, then build a permaflight Argyros mech with kojimas out the wazoo.

Also, Occupation has nothing on AC4's mission "elimination" where you could take literally no damage if you wanted to S rank it, but had to do so in a warehouse where you can neither fly nor qb effectively.

Also the enemy normals have large missiles that do 5k through the fucking walls.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    A few details on Armored Core V in Famitsu this week:

When you start off, your team doesn't have any territory. As you acquire territory, you can customize it. As previously announced, this includes placing things like canons. Your customized territory is distributed to other teams who can try to invade it. In the event that someone on your team is logged in, they they can deal with the invaders.

For the invader side, it seems that there are multiple means of clearing.

You'll find over 500 customization parts. One example of a new part is "Recon," which can be used to search the area.

During combat, you can switch between battle mode and scan mode, the latter used for figuring out the abilities of your enemies.

As previously detailed, one member of your battle party serves as Operator. While not directly taking part in the battle, the Operator can view a special overhead view map that better gives an understanding of the current situation, and can give instructions to players via voice chat and markers.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Klyka wrote: »
    A few details on Armored Core V in Famitsu this week:

When you start off, your team doesn't have any territory. As you acquire territory, you can customize it. As previously announced, this includes placing things like canons. Your customized territory is distributed to other teams who can try to invade it. In the event that someone on your team is logged in, they they can deal with the invaders.

For the invader side, it seems that there are multiple means of clearing.

You'll find over 500 customization parts. One example of a new part is "Recon," which can be used to search the area.

During combat, you can switch between battle mode and scan mode, the latter used for figuring out the abilities of your enemies.

As previously detailed, one member of your battle party serves as Operator. While not directly taking part in the battle, the Operator can view a special overhead view map that better gives an understanding of the current situation, and can give instructions to players via voice chat and markers.

Continues to sound very promising. Thanks for the info Klyka.

corin7 on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ya the operator function sounds critical. Too bad we will be waiting a full @#%;^ year for this.

ARGH!!! Sounds soooo delicious.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I hope that whoever plays as Operator acts all overly melodramatic all the time while everyone else on the team just sort of stands there stoically.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't care who my operator is I am always going to call them otacon.

Goddamn this game sounds amazing.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Jubeh wrote: »

I'll be your operator so I can keep shouting "THIS IS JUST LIKE MY JAPANESE ANIMES!!!!!!"

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I'll be your operator so I can keep shouting "THIS IS JUST LIKE MY JAPANESE ANIMES!!!!!!"

Ah, but will you wet yourself and fall in love with an enemy player?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    yalborap wrote: »

"KLYKA! WHERE IS THE SUPPORT?? WHERE ARE THEY!? GIVE US THE INFO NOW!!!"

"Yalbo...."

"YES KLYKA??"

"Do you....do you think love can bloom on the battlefield?"

"GOD DAMMIT KLYKAAAAAAAAAA-" *player terminated*

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    OptimusWangOptimusWang Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I loved playing Chromehounds, but I could never get the hang of AC4's controls scheme when I got it from Gamefly. Hopefully this skews towards Chromehounds - I miss splattering some poor bastard from the far side of the map with heavy artillery mechs :)

OptimusWang on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yalborap wrote: »

"KLYKA! WHERE IS THE SUPPORT?? WHERE ARE THEY!? GIVE US THE INFO NOW!!!"

"Yalbo...."

"YES KLYKA??"

"Do you....do you think love can bloom on the battlefield?"

"GOD DAMMIT KLYKAAAAAAAAAA-" *player terminated*

hahahaha

I enjoyed 4A, I will probably get this, fail to convince my RL's to join up, and play with PA'ers :^:

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I loved playing Chromehounds, but I could never get the hang of AC4's controls scheme when I got it from Gamefly. Hopefully this skews towards Chromehounds - I miss splattering some poor bastard from the far side of the map with heavy artillery mechs :)

I found AC4's controls bewildering at first, too, but with one relatively simple modification (switching boost to R1, quick boost to L1, and the guns to their respective shoulder buttons) it started making a lot more sense quickly.

Having boost be L2 by default just seems crazy to me. Also having fire be anything but a shoulder button in a ultra-fast paced dual stick game is a really weird decision by them.

Kainy on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ARISE WITH NEW TRAILER POWER!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CqVJRtkA34
    I am looking forward to this a lot!

Btw, apparently they made a smartphone app so you can CUSTOMIZE YOUR MECHS ON YOUR PHONE.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    AdvocateAdvocate Registered User regular
    Anyone try the demo out? My initial impression is thank god they slowed the game down, I didn't really like the speed in 4A. I'm looking forward to trying the online mode this weekend.

• Options
    Advocate wrote:
    Anyone try the demo out? My initial impression is thank god they slowed the game down, I didn't really like the speed in 4A. I'm looking forward to trying the online mode this weekend.

There is a demo out D:
    Must try it!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah demo is up on the japanese psn/xbox live, they are are also demoing the online mode January 21 and 22 so act fast if you want to try that out.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    oh, japanese Xbox Live :( I don't have Jap gold. But that's ok :)

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    How did I miss that trailer?

...And... was that wall jumping amidst flaming chainsaw action?

• Options
    Dartboy wrote:
    How did I miss that trailer?

...And... was that wall jumping amidst flaming chainsaw action?

Yep, you can jump off walls like Mega Man X.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Oh damn, a demo's out? Well I know what I'm doing when I get home.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    YES YES YES I WANT THIS FUCKING GAME

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Dude talking is annoying as shit but they show some good stuff here.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/31/armored-core-5-multiplayer-walkthrough/

• Options
    DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    So is this a budget title or something? I'm really confused as Amazon.co.uk have it up for preorder for £30 which is confusing me. I miss the days of chromehounds and teamwork etc. :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    There's a bit too much air time to convince me they've done away with AC4's crazy flying around in fast ACs...

• Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    That mention to recon really makes me hope their are some ultra-nimble stealthy mechs. Yes, they evaporate if someone finds them and the heavy mech artillery will knock slag out of them in one volley of splash damage. I don't care, so long as they get very very powerful kneel shoulder sniper rifles.

Also, deploy-able shields for heavy mechs? Wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHgZh4GV9G0&feature=colike