Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 4E] Dark Sun: Desert Flight (Group 2 Game Thread)

124

Posts

  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Ichtaca, have you ever seen so much..." Zahra looks around to find that she is alone, "...metal?"

    She studies the door, looking for a way in or a least a clue to its origins. She also scans the area for any smaller, more portable pieces of metal. An immensely-valuable souvenir never goes amiss. As she bends towards the door, the rain suddenly stops. Too quickly. Peering up at the coulds, Zahra wonders again about the place, and its inexplicable.... everything. Nothing seems natural here, none of the rules fit.

    Gideon on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A shaft of sunlight broke through a crack in the ruined ceiling, partially illuminating the chamber. "Seems the rains have stopped for now," he said to the others. "Now's the time to search around - get our bearings. We'll need some fresh supplies before we can head out permanently, but there ought to be plenty we can scrounge up out there. We can always fall back to these ruins if need be, for shelter or rest."

    He took a few steps toward the crack in the wall, peeking out once more into the great green wilderness. "Let's go see what we can find."

    milk ducks on
  • MaledicteMaledicte Registered User
    edited March 2011
    "I agree with Ghires. We need to try and find some supplies. Luckily, my being massive has its advantages."

    Keothi rummages around his belongings that were stowed on his person and pulls out 4 of the 5 servings of food he'd managed to carry in preparation for desert travel.

    "It's not much, and it's a bit wet. Would you like some food, Ghires?" Keothi extends the serving of food toward Ghires.

    "Guess we'd better catch up with the females. They'll need this more than we will."

    Maledicte on
    Tea, Earl Grey, hot.
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "I'll be alright," replied the mul. "There'll be plenty of time for eating later. We'd better get moving while the weather holds out."

    milk ducks on
  • MaledicteMaledicte Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Keothi shrugs and tosses some food into his mouth. Looking around he notices that Ichtaca has made her way back inside and calls to her, "Hey Ichtaca! Food before the travel??"

    Waving his food at her, he smiles.

    Maledicte on
    Tea, Earl Grey, hot.
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Picking her belongings up off the floor and shouldering them, Ichtaca responds to Keothi, "I don't think Ghires is going to wait for us to have a sit down lunch." Walking over to him she does grab some of the offered food, "We can eat while we walk though, thanks!" Heading back to the archway she returned from, Ichtaca beckons to Ghires, "Let's go out this way. See what Zahra has gotten up to."

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zahra: You don't see any loose metal in the vicinity. The door has no obvious way to open it, and you don't see any other way into the building.

    Everyone: The forest remains quiet for the time being. No howling wolves, no roaring monsters. Just the occasional sound of water dripping from the trees.

    The wreckage of the caravan remains north of here, back up the mountain. A valley lies to the south, mountains to the west, and the Sea of Silt to the east.

    Denada on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Turning from the others, Ichtaca heads out the arch back towards the smaller building while munching on the dried... something... that Keothi gave her. Assuming that the other two are following her, she arrives at the building and, without looking back, walks the long way around to the metal door (and, presumably, Zahra), examining the walls of the building intently, narrating any interesting, or, in their absence, uninteresting features.
    Not sure why I bother. :P
    Perception - Walls: 1d20+0 7

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • MaledicteMaledicte Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Keothi glanced at Ghires as he watched Ichtaca head out through the archway. "Well, let's hope the forest stays this peaceful. We lucked out, I think. Another attack like the last one and..."

    Letting his voice trail off, he finished the statement in his thoughts "...we won't live to tell about it."
    Trying to regain his positive outlook, Keothi smiled, adjusted his equipment and started heading out behind the girls.

    "You coming, Ghires?"

    Maledicte on
    Tea, Earl Grey, hot.
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Another attack like the last one and..." Keothi's voice trailed off into the shadows.

    When it returned a moment later, a certain resolve accompanied it. "You coming, Ghires?"

    He's worried.

    The mul nodded, stepping out beyond the boundary of the ruins.

    And he has every right to be; this forest might yet be our tomb.

    With a face of solemn stone, he turned toward the half-giant. "We'll be ready this time."

    We'll have to be.

    milk ducks on
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As the others make to leave the temple, Zahra turns, peevishly, "What? We're just going to leave this place? Look at it! None of you have seen anything like it I'm sure and none of you even realise how incredible it is! That metal door is so... so... Aagh!"

    Zahra's frustration gets the better of her, and she kicks the door hard before following the others.

    "That door alone is so valuable we could buy... sun above we could buy all of Tyr. Or close enough. Why am I saying 'we'? I was the only one to know the thing's value and it was me brought us there in the first place. You're all welcome of course."

    Gideon on
  • MaledicteMaledicte Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Ghires' confidence aroused a desire in Keothi to take up the reigns and try and find out where they are, and WHY they are where they are.

    Keothi looked up to the mud-ridden mountain and then back around to his party. We may be ready for anything, but there's no reason to have to fight a mudslide. At least not now. The easier path looked like it was headed towards the valley. Plus, there might be people, or at least creatures in the valley that could lead them to some answers...and possibly more questions.

    "I vote we head to the valley. That mountain still looks treacherous and I have no desire to fall down it a second time. Plus the valley can provide relative shelter if the sky decides it wants to open up and drown us....again."

    Maledicte on
    Tea, Earl Grey, hot.
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ghires nodded in agreement. "Sounds good."

    milk ducks on
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "You all are right about the valley but it's maybe not for the best reasons. It's possible that there are people living in this weird no-place." Zahra scuffs the ground absent-mindedly with her foot. "If anyone's living here they'll want to be down in the valley to catch the water flows."

    Zahra pauses for a second, chewing her lip.

    "I wonder if they'd've been stranded like us or if they're something--"

    Breaking off suddenly, Zahra starts and looks towards the Silt Sea (obscured by the trees). She frowns.

    Gideon on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ichtaca finishes her tour of the smaller building at the metal door before realizing that not only did no one follow her, but also Zahra was no longer there either. Looking around confused for a second, she mutters under her breath and heads back to where they entered the compound to find the three others discussing heading down into the valley. Still a bit miffed she interjects into the conversation, "Yes, the valley, maybe we can find some people there, fine."

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rather than striding off ahead, Zahra approaches Ghires. She is still frowning, and is containing some agitation.

    "Ghires. When you saw the Silt Sea, did it look... did it look as it usually does? Normal?"

    Gideon on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "It did," the mul replied, containing his own agitation.

    milk ducks on
  • MaledicteMaledicte Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Using his uncanny perceptual skills and his ability to master the obvious, Keothi tried to ease the palpable agitation by clapping his hands loudly and smiling.

    "Well, at least we're all in agreement! Let's head out!"

    Without any further glances at his party, he begins walking in the direction of the valley.

    Maledicte on
    Tea, Earl Grey, hot.
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Hm." Zahra grunts, and then follows the mountain-man. It is some time before she starts, once again, to scrutinize the plants, animals and sky, narrating any findings to the others.

    Gideon on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    3 HOURS LATER

    Your journey through the jungle, though slow, has been refreshingly free of threats to your life. That doesn't mean that the terrain hasn't been hazardous, in fact quite the opposite. Mudslides, cliff faces obscured by dense vegetation, strangling vines, and precarious footholds have all done their best to hinder your progress. But, without any creatures trying to kill you, you've been able to focus on and overcome these obstacles.

    The sun just begins its decent below the horizon as you finally reach the valley floor. The first landmark you come across is a wide stream, about twenty feet where you are. Although you can't know for sure, the stream appears to run along the length of the valley. The water is running swiftly to the east.

    Denada on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Still damp from the rain, Ichtaca watches forlornly as the sun sinks below the horizon just as they emerge from the shadows of the treetops, "So much for drying out in the sun." A little disheartened by the whole experience, especially the rough going through the forest, she asks, "Now that we're free of the forest, could we set up camp here for the night? I don't fancy walking in the dark and I'd love to have a fire." She peers down the length of the river, "I don't see anything dangerous around..."
    Perception: 1d20+0 4

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As Ichtaca speaks, Zahra briefly looks up from the stream. "Hm? Sure." Returning to her enraptured contemplation of the running water, she trails her finger in it. With a great show of decisiveness, she cups some water in her hands and takes a sip. Having satisfied herself that it is drinkable, she grins at the others and stands.

    "So I was right! Not only does the water collect here but it keeps running to find even lower ground over there. Which is I think where Ghires saw the Sea of Silt. I still don't know how far this no-place extends but could it possibly go to the Sea of Silt? Might it be wet too? I think we might be--"

    Suddenly conscious of her obvious excitement, Zahra breaks off and kneels again by the stream, studying it and its surrounds.

    "Wait a second. Did you want to stop?"

    Gideon on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Perception (Zahra): The stream isn't very deep here, perhaps three feet at its deepest point. The jungle is still thick in the valley and extends as far as you can see in both directions, though the foliage isn't quite as dense next to the water. The ground around the stream indicates that the water level of the stream rises and falls rapidly, most likely in response to rainfall.

    You can see what looks like torchlight a few hundred feet downstream. There are two lights, on the opposite side of the stream. You can't see who or what is carrying them.

    Denada on
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ichtaca has not had a chance to answer, but Zahra holds up a warning finger. "Sh! Not important." She hisses, "You probably can't see them but trust me there is torchlight downstream. I suggest tired people and people who are too large to hide and people who don't wish to hide all set up a camp. I will investigate."

    Gideon on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Very well," the mul grumbled, laying a hand upon the girl's shoulder.

    "But if you need help, just whistle, and we'll come runnin'."

    milk ducks on
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zahra seems about to make a caustic retort but stops herself.

    "Thank you. Sleep well but don't sleep too deep."

    Gideon on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Torches? People?" Ichtaca perks up a bit at Zahra's comments but after peering in the direction she indicated and seeing only trees and darkness she elects to stay with larger members of the party. "Let us know what you find!" she urgently whispers. "I guess this means no fire?" she queries sadly.

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • MaledicteMaledicte Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Peering in to the darkness, Keothi squints but can see no sign of the things Zahra speaks of. He peers down at the small dejected female and whispers "Maybe we can start a fire if the party below means us no harm..."

    But with the way things have been going here, that's not likely he thought.

    The half-giant looked around into the formless world that the darkness has made and decided his best bet would be to settle in with the group.

    "At least we can rest a bit while we wait!"
    Perception: 1d20+0 5

    Maledicte on
    Tea, Earl Grey, hot.
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Definitely no fire until I return safe." Zahra glances around, quick and decisive. Her hands check and double-check her crossbow and blades (on opposite hips) and unfasten her cloak, setting it aside (so that it does not catch on the abundant undergrowth).

    With one last glance to her comrades, Zahra strides off into the darkness and is quickly lost to their sight.

    After a few strides, Zahra begins to observe her surroundings in earnest. The chattering of the stream -- alien and yet comforting -- will mask much of the sound of her movement. Its presence is nevertheless a mixed blessing, as vegetation is scare near its bank, and to any observers Zahra will be a darker silhouette against the sky. So she tracks slightly away from the stream slightly, ensuring that as she crouches and moves (silent, of course), she will not be observed.

    She hunkers further down as she approaches the torches from the trees. Observing for sentries, she croucches unmoving behind one tree or bush before flitting to another. Finally, she finds herself shielded on three sides by a fallen log and an abundantly foliate bush, and close enough to observe the area around the torches. Zahra watches.
    Stealth to sneak up to torches: 1d20+10 21
    Perception to observe the torches and their area. Who is there?: 1d20+7 19

    A further question that probably won't need a roll: Are the moons where they should be? Are they both present, as normal?

    Gideon on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The sun has set quickly, leaving you under the dim light of Ral and Guthay as you reach your destination. The moons loom above you as they do most nights, their presence offering little in the way of comfort in this strange place.

    Crouching in silence, you observe the lights, which you quickly realize are not torches at all. The balls of fire look like torches, but no torches exist to support them. They simply float there, about six feet above the ground, their orange light flickering on the stream in front of you. There's something hypnotic about them, the way they sway ever so slightly back and forth. You feel as though you could stare at them for hours, if you had the time. Perhaps you do have the time? The others are certainly capable of setting up a camp by themselves. They can do without you for a little while. Yes ... just a little while ...

    Suddenly, a sharp sting rips you away from the comfort of the lights, and you reach behind you to find a small dart protruding from your neck.

    Zahra, Roll Initiative!

    Denada on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Resting definitely sounds good," Ichtaca says as she rummages around the area for the driest piece of deadwood she can find before setting down her pack near the water and sitting on it. Looking at the water without really seeing it, she stares off into space, "I wonder where this stream goes... Surely not to the Sea of Silt, unless maybe silt floats? Now *that* would be marvelous, a sea under the sea! Although... if this river runs into a lake, I might know where we are... But you didn't see any water in the valley, Ghires?"

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "I didn't," the mul admitted, resting both hands upon his knees.

    "I know what I saw; the Sea of Silt lies just beyond, in that direction. I wish I could help you make sense of it, but it's like everything's been turned upside down." He looked off down toward the valley absently, shaking his head slowly.

    "It just doesn't make any sense."

    milk ducks on
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zahra silently curses herself. How could she have been taken in by magic, she, she who knew more about magic than anyone? Not studying it but mesmerised by it... How?

    This thought comes in an instant and is quashed by the necessities of her situation. First, to get help. Second, to find out who she is fighting. Third, to find somewhere to hide until help arrives.

    The first is easy. Zahra whistles, a note that is high and rises fast.

    The second and third... more difficult. Spurred on by the pain of the dart, Zahra casts about her for any sign of her attacker, and any cover that might be useful.

    Gideon on
  • MaledicteMaledicte Registered User
    edited March 2011
    A shrill, high note cut through the group's reverie and slammed into Keothi with urgency.

    "It's coming from the direction where Zahra traveled."

    Hesitancy gripped Keothi as he took a step towards the sound. What if it's a trap? We can't see her, or what it is she saw.... But if it's NOT a trap, one of my group could be in mortal danger. The path was clear to him.

    "We need to follow her. Before anyone objects, I know that we could be walking into a trap. But I'm prepared to face those consequences when and if they arrive. The alternative is ignoring a potential cry for help and that... that I cannot do..."

    He glanced at the barely visible faces of the two remaining travelers.

    "...So are you with me?"

    Maledicte on
    Tea, Earl Grey, hot.
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Grabbing her backpack, Ichtaca returns to her feet, "I'm certainly not staying here alone. Maybe she just fell in the river; she seems to be having issues with large quantities of water."

    skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ghires leapt to his feet and nodded to the half-giant, already clutching his weapon tightly.

    milk ducks on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Round 1
    THREE ROUNDS UNTIL YOUR ALLIES ARRIVE

    You can already feel the effects of some kind of poison in your veins. Your vision blurs, your muscles seize, and you find yourself struggling just to stay awake, let alone to retaliate. In your daze you can see the shadows shift suddenly, showing you the locations of two attackers. The humanoid figures are cloaked in darkness, and you cannot see their faces.
    taken-round1.jpg
    Attacker 1 - HP ??/?? - AC 21; F 19, R 20, W 19
    @L4 - Status: Concealment.
    Attacker 2 - HP ??/?? - AC 21; F 19, R 20, W 19
    @A4 - Status: Concealment.
    :arrow:Zahra - HP 29/29 - AC 17; F 13, R 18, W 13 - AP 1 - HS 6/7 - Ammo 19
    @I13 - Status: Dazed (se).

    Denada on
  • GideonGideon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spying a tuft of vegetation next to the creek, Zahra turns and hurls herself towards it, lying perfectly still beneath the concealment of its leaves.

    Gritting her teeth, she wills her vision to focus on her attackers and her muscles to come under her own control once more. She feels her vision clear, smiles grimly, and tries to make a plan. How long will it be until the others arrive?
    Move Action:
    Move three squares to G10.
    Use Cunning Sneak class feature to make a Stealth check:
    Stealth in round 1: 1d20+10 28

    Saving Throw: 1d20 16 SAVED WOO

    Gideon on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Round 2
    TWO ROUNDS UNTIL YOUR ALLIES ARRIVE

    Seconds after you slip into hiding, another dart sinks into your flesh. One of the attackers says something to his companion, though you don't understand the language he's speaking. You can feel the poison taking over again as both of the attackers disappear into the shadows.

    Attacker 1-
    Minor: Perception vs. Stealth (36 vs. 28) Success!
    Standard: Poison Dart vs. Zahra (30 vs. Fort) Hit! 14 poison damage, and Zahra is Dazed (save ends).
    Move: L4 to ??.

    Attacker 2-
    Minor: Perception vs. Stealth (26 vs. 28) Failure!
    Move: A4 to ??.

    taken-round2.jpg
    Attacker 1 - HP ??/?? - AC 21; F 19, R 20, W 19
    @?? - Status: Hidden.
    Attacker 2 - HP ??/?? - AC 21; F 19, R 20, W 19
    @?? - Status: Hidden.
    :arrow:Zahra - HP 15/29 - AC 17; F 13, R 18, W 13 - AP 1 - HS 6/7 - Ammo 19
    @G10 - Status: Cover. Dazed (se).

    Denada on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zahra: Although you were able to fight off the poison once, your constitution isn't so strong this time around. Your vision blurs, your head swims, and you feel the cool mud under your face as your world fades to black.

    Everyone: You come to where you think you heard Zahra's call, but you find no torches and no Zahra. There's only the stream, the mud, and the trees.

    The choice at this point is either to search for signs of Zahra, or set up camp for the night. Zahra doesn't have any choices right now since she's unconscious.

    Denada on
Sign In or Register to comment.